Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 12:00:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 [1205] 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312591 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
CTTE

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 10:36:03 PM

I mean, when the GUI is out, it is ready for non-ponies and non-fairies (read: normal people) unlike we are apparently. The potential markets are huge and the price potential is even higher because the wealthy bagholders will not bother to sell too cheap if ever.

Another nice side effect of a GUI is that it encourages people to stop using Poloniex as a wallet. 
I think that the GUI is a bigger deal than what a lot of people like to admit. I think it is something that has consistently made it "difficult" for the average/casual user to easily enter the Monero world and you never want to make it hard for your "customers" to buy. However with that said, it may not create as big a bang as it should right out of the gates because most of the people involved at this point have made accommodations for it and either keep their Monero on an exchange(s) or MyMonero or learned simple wallet and these people will gladly use it but they are already "in".  Unfortunately it will only be a relatively small number of people who will immediately jump in and start buying for the first time and using the new wallet. The bigger gains will come over the next few months and weeks as new people from the DMs, people newly introduced to Monero and those who have been waiting specifically for it because in their mind we're like the "only" ones without a gui wallet and now see more value and legitimacy in the project.

To some Monero may look bad because there aren't those bells and whistles so of course the devs are "incompetent" because every coin had a shiny new wallet when it first came out... "how hard can it be?".  Now, I understand there is a lot more going on here than just writing another wrapper or grabbing a complete wallet codebase and changing the captions, logo and some text and BANG, you've got a wallet. But the average person doesn't know, understand or care and we need to start thinking about how we can do a better job of relating to those people instead of just the "technophiles" which we seem to attract because of the great technology we have.

We have fantastic devs on this project, some great contributors who have provided natural leadership and now that most of the key underpinnings of this project are in place or in progress, we need to bring those people with money to spend and not a lot of technical savvy or maybe just no desire to deal with a console app into the fold, make it easy to buy, hold, send, convert to btc,make payments, do some mining, etc... do it right and they will help to push Monero into a place of prominence and drive the market cap to a point that makes it even more palatable to more industries to use without all the volatility.

Sorry for running on about this but as I said, in the grand scheme of moving Monero from an "also ran" to a leader in the ecash space I believe this is critical!

CTTE
mfqrs3

Activity: 419
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 10:43:40 PM
Last edit: October 17, 2016, 10:58:28 PM by mfqrs3

@CTTE

I agree with everything you said.
mnemonicsoup

Activity: 200
Merit: 114

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 10:50:30 PM

The shorter is just one guy with multiple accounts so it should be easy to overcome if there is someone investing real paper money into it.

Could it be a "big player" (perhaps even on an institutional level) which feels threatened by the prospects of XMR?
ozkraut

Activity: 522
Merit: 266

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 10:53:20 PM

Can someone post me a link to the windows GUI build instructions again? I know someone posted it in the past few days, but Ilya's github Readme.md is still missing the Windows instructions/dependencies.

Thanks, I tried trawling back pages, but between this and the main thread, I can't find it! Tongue

this may help:

https://monero.stackexchange.com/questions/2346/compiling-gui-from-source-differences-by-os

On another note: monero is known and certainly appears to be a Polo baby and has been for all the time I have been aware of it. Which is a good while.
 Volume there, compared to anywhere else, speaks ,ehm , volumes as well as having a dedicated XMR / nnn trading pair on offer which is giving it elevated status at Polo. Is this an impediment to adoption by other large exchanges? Eg ' We are not supporting the 'Polo' coin? Im just looking at the volume on and on and wonder why there seems to be reluctance to get a slice of it whilst all jumped on ETH. Just jealousy and misplaced pride? Any skeletons / dodgy backroom deal rumours that I should be aware off? Just seems strange we haven't picked up a large exchange or two by now....

Monero - Wir sind die Leute vor denen uns unsere Eltern gewarnt haben!
mnemonicsoup

Activity: 200
Merit: 114

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 10:56:31 PM

Just seems strange we haven't picked up a large exchange or two by now....

Apparently, it's not that easy to implement as it's not based on the BTC protocol like any other coin so it needs a bit of work to implement.

The same goes for the GUI, for any other coin it's pretty simple and straightforward but XMR is unchartered territory and it needs to be done properly from the ground up.
People often fail to see this but that's what's so great about the devs, they seem to be in it for the long run and aren't throwing out half baked goods just because the market demands it.
Dotto
Legendary

Activity: 981
Merit: 1005

No maps for these territories

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 11:03:34 PM

With the GUI news, I guess we can conclude that .0088 was the bottom. Now we are at .009924 and you can bet that this is discount price. Not sure about breaking ATH soon, but a nice green candle or two is almost guaranteed.
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 11:11:11 PM

Just seems strange we haven't picked up a large exchange or two by now....

Apparently, it's not that easy to implement as it's not based on the BTC protocol like any other coin so it needs a bit of work to implement.

The same goes for the GUI, for any other coin it's pretty simple and straightforward but XMR is unchartered territory and it needs to be done properly from the ground up.
People often fail to see this but that's what's so great about the devs, they seem to be in it for the long run and aren't throwing out half baked goods just because the market demands it.

Yep - this is true - but the volume is too good for other exchanges to not salivate over (assuming Monero is NOT going away - which it is not).

Patience - it will happen.  It's a necessity for any exchange wanting to host the top coins. Polo's rise has been stunningly well-managed and has shown the way. Others will follow - or lose out.

我想要火箭和火车
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 11:17:42 PM

With the GUI news, I guess we can conclude that .0088 was the bottom. Now we are at .009924 and you can bet that this is discount price. Not sure about breaking ATH soon, but a nice green candle or two is almost guaranteed.

If Dotto calls the bottom.

As a rule it's a BUY. 

Short if you dare - my bids are still in to scoop up the cheap coins, and I am not alone.

我想要火箭和火车
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 11:26:32 PM

One more thing, trolls..?

Leave off Aminorex - he an order of magnitude better than those who have dared to lump him in with low-life amateur trolling scum.

Anyone linking him with any of the you-know-who types here is out of order.  He saw Monero before it was even listed on Polo. And people listen to him with good reason.

You are not worthy. 

Nuff said.

Rant over.

我想要火箭和火车
sui_generis

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 11:32:47 PM

Leave off Aminorex - he an order of magnitude better than those who have dared to lump him in with low-life amateur trolling scum.

Anyone linking him with any of the you-know-who types here is out of order.  He saw Monero before it was even listed on Polo. And people listen to him with good reason.

You are not worthy. 

Nuff said.

Rant over.
Any idea where he went? I miss his posts.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 11:49:29 PM

It is my understanding that he went on a cruise around the world.
CTTE

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 12:20:36 AM

You are not worthy. 

Nuff said.

Rant over.
Agreed... I don't know of anybody that could fake his posts!
CTTE

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 12:26:44 AM

The GUI release is imminent, which means it's closer than "soon":

"the difference between soon and imminent is that soon is occurring within a short time, or quickly while imminent is about to happen, occur, or take place very soon"

I tested it today on Win10 64-bit and it works fine. Some are still having issues running it. It's a beta release, functional, but not finished.

I really love the sound of the word "imminent"... it's my new mantra...  "wallet is imminent"... "wallet is imminent"...  repeat for the next six hours!
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 12:34:36 AM

Once that happens and users see that bitcoin is in no way private, that is when the scale tips.

What clinched it for me was after I had yet *another* account unceremoniously shut down on me with NO warning, NO reason, NO explanation given... allegedly because of some "unapproved" coins landing in my wallet from three or four hops away.  This has happened to me already more than once.

Near as I can figure it out, it's because someone somewhere down the line must've put a bitcoin or two thru a gambling website or -- god forbid -- done some transaction on the dark web and/or run their BTC thru a simple tumbler and/or God-Knows-WTF-Else that "they" didn't like.

Mind you, it wasn't ME (pinky swear!) and my main failure, I guess, was just not paying enough attention to having to manually "clean" my own wallet in order to avoid this sort of problem.  But POINT IS *why* would I even THINK I should HAVE to do that?  The dollar bills in my pocket also have traces of cocaine on them supposedly, but am I responsible for the actions of some coke dealer somewhere?  LOL  it's ridiculous, what these "chain analysis" people apparently believe.

Anyway, yeah of course I'm an early casualty of this scenario simply because I'm a very heavy bitcoin user... several transactions a day, every day.  People who only do a couple transactions per week or less don't have the volume (*yet*) to have this trigger on them.  So the real PROBLEM is not yet very APPARENT to most people.

But it's going to come, and it's only going to get worse and worse, and when the awareness of this very real problem finally takes hold, then MONERO will be the first and best answer as the solution...

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 12:46:47 AM

Once that happens and users see that bitcoin is in no way private, that is when the scale tips.

What clinched it for me was after I had yet *another* account unceremoniously shut down on me with NO warning, NO reason, NO explanation given... allegedly because of some "unapproved" coins landing in my wallet from three or four hops away.  This has happened to me already more than once.

Near as I can figure it out, it's because someone somewhere down the line must've put a bitcoin or two thru a gambling website or -- god forbid -- done some transaction on the dark web and/or run their BTC thru a simple tumbler and/or God-Knows-WTF-Else that "they" didn't like.

Mind you, it wasn't ME (pinky swear!) and my main failure, I guess, was just not paying enough attention to having to manually "clean" my own wallet in order to avoid this sort of problem.  But POINT IS *why* would I even THINK I should HAVE to do that?  The dollar bills in my pocket also have traces of cocaine on them supposedly, but am I responsible for the actions of some coke dealer somewhere?  LOL  it's ridiculous, what these "chain analysis" people apparently believe.

Anyway, yeah of course I'm an early casualty of this scenario simply because I'm a very heavy bitcoin user... several transactions a day, every day.  People who only do a couple transactions per week or less don't have the volume (*yet*) to have this trigger on them.  So the real PROBLEM is not yet very APPARENT to most people.

But it's going to come, and it's only going to get worse and worse, and when the awareness of this very real problem finally takes hold, then MONERO will be the first and best answer as the solution...

Plus I mean, think about if Hillary gets elected... the more she tries to "crackdown" on Bitcoin and force companies like coinbase to comply with stricter rules; those companies would have to follow suite and then I think people will start to see the true issues with bitcoin.
Omura

Activity: 129

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 12:47:34 AM

I mean, when the GUI is out, it is ready for non-ponies and non-fairies (read: normal people) unlike we are apparently. The potential markets are huge and the price potential is even higher because the wealthy bagholders will not bother to sell too cheap if ever.

Another nice side effect of a GUI is that it encourages people to stop using Poloniex as a wallet. 
I think that the GUI is a bigger deal than what a lot of people like to admit. I think it is something that has consistently made it "difficult" for the average/casual user to easily enter the Monero world and you never want to make it hard for your "customers" to buy. However with that said, it may not create as big a bang as it should right out of the gates because most of the people involved at this point have made accommodations for it and either keep their Monero on an exchange(s) or MyMonero or learned simple wallet and these people will gladly use it but they are already "in".  Unfortunately it will only be a relatively small number of people who will immediately jump in and start buying for the first time and using the new wallet. The bigger gains will come over the next few months and weeks as new people from the DMs, people newly introduced to Monero and those who have been waiting specifically for it because in their mind we're like the "only" ones without a gui wallet and now see more value and legitimacy in the project.

To some Monero may look bad because there aren't those bells and whistles so of course the devs are "incompetent" because every coin had a shiny new wallet when it first came out... "how hard can it be?".  Now, I understand there is a lot more going on here than just writing another wrapper or grabbing a complete wallet codebase and changing the captions, logo and some text and BANG, you've got a wallet. But the average person doesn't know, understand or care and we need to start thinking about how we can do a better job of relating to those people instead of just the "technophiles" which we seem to attract because of the great technology we have.

We have fantastic devs on this project, some great contributors who have provided natural leadership and now that most of the key underpinnings of this project are in place or in progress, we need to bring those people with money to spend and not a lot of technical savvy or maybe just no desire to deal with a console app into the fold, make it easy to buy, hold, send, convert to btc,make payments, do some mining, etc... do it right and they will help to push Monero into a place of prominence and drive the market cap to a point that makes it even more palatable to more industries to use without all the volatility.

Sorry for running on about this but as I said, in the grand scheme of moving Monero from an "also ran" to a leader in the ecash space I believe this is critical!

CTTE

I'm new to cryptos but how would the official GUI differ from the unoffical ones currently available like lightwallet?

It seems lightwallet is quite easy to use and opensource, is it missing something I'm not aware of?

П    |⧛ ☛  Join the signature campaign and earn free PI daily!  ✅ |⧛    П
    |⧛         ☛  PiCoin - get in now  ✅     ☛ No ICO!  ✅          |⧛

phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 12:50:11 AM

I'm new to cryptos but how would the official GUI differ from the unoffical ones currently available like lightwallet?

It seems lightwallet is quite easy to use and opensource, is it missing something I'm not aware of?

Official GUI will have everything included with it, unlike the lightwallets... runs node and wallet, etc.
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 12:51:56 AM

Glad I am not alone in missing the people who post things I really love to read.

May I plead that we keep the standards up here? This thread was way better than the BTC wall observer in politeness, lack of book-talking and well... just positive stuff.  The Monero community is admired and rightly so.

We all enjoy quality analysis and reasoned, polite, astute or fun posts. New friends are welcome, of course and good TA welcome - bullish or bearish.

But can we not encourage those who've appeared recently if they gloat and bring nothing to a nice party they were late to arrive at - and bring it down to a level which is spoiling what this thread was about - a genuine long-term interest in a really good coin that is truly fungible and private money.

I have been here for a long time and been through the troughs of despair and held (and bought regardless).  Monero has been good to me and I hope it will continue to be so. 

So let's keep it decent and show a little respect? People are watching and wondering - let's show them they are in the right place?

End of hippy love-in shit. Promise. I have run out of wine  Wink

我想要火箭和火车
CTTE

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 12:53:10 AM

CTTE

I think it's really only missing the "Official Monero" brand name and the impression that it will be supported for the long run by the dev team.  Plus, I'm not sure exactly how fully cross platform it is... someone with more info would have to address that.  
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 12:55:54 AM

CTTE

I think it's really only missing the "Official Monero" brand name and the impression that it will be supported for the long run by the dev team.  Plus, I'm not sure exactly how fully cross platform it is... someone with more info would have to address that.  

I hope it runs on Mac OS, personally - I struggled with CLI wallet.

I am with you on this.

我想要火箭和火车
Pages: « 1 ... 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 [1205] 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: