Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:50:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: would you be interested in an next generation ASIC trade up program for your ModMiner Quad?
YES
NO

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 »
  Print  
Author Topic: High Efficiency FPGA & ASIC Bitcoin Mining Devices https://BTCFPGA.com  (Read 218400 times)
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 01:34:32 AM

Seems like I touched a nerve with the power issue, hmm... I look forward to Tom's clarification.

As for BFL specs, we can discuss that in another thread.  
Point the way, I have read that the FPGA single was plagued not by 1 factor, but by 3.

Performance, Ambient temperature requirements and finally Electrical use.

BFL is "on the record" as having resolved to this date two of the above issues. (Electrical use and Performance per watt)

So the third issue (Ambient operating temperature) is the remaining factor that remains very elusive as a specification.

-----------------------------

The ambient temperature is just as important as the other two. As this determines whether air conditioning is required for the devices in warm environments. (at 1kw ->2kw per hour per air conditioner)

Once the other two (Avalon and bASIC) are further along, they will also have to deal with this very critical issue.

I believe it was stated once that Inaba (BFL_Josh) has stated that he has worked in datacenter environments. Which means he is intimately familiar on why they keep the CRAC units turned on 24x7 for the servers and other hosted devices.

Therefore, I hope that he lets us all know that BFL products will be very comfortable in 90+F environments. Otherwise this may skew the 60watt performance rating of non-air conditioned units.

I will wait for Inaba (BFL_Josh) to open a thread on this topic soon to reassure their customers that this will not be an issue and is in fact a selling point of their hardware.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheHarbinger

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Why is it so damn hot in here?

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 01:40:10 AM

12Um6jfDE7q6crm1s6tSksMvda8s1hZ3Vj
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 01:50:51 AM

Personally I am looking forward to the ASIC products from both companies!
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 01:57:55 AM

Seems like I touched a nerve with the power issue, hmm... I look forward to Tom's clarification.

Tom: Don't take the bait.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
jborkl

Activity: 246

Team Heritage Motorsports

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 02:18:22 AM

Tom: Don't take the bait.

M

I agree - every time tom leaves his thread gets jacked.   Last week noobs jacked it when he was gone and now it's angry jacked thread while he is out of town.

I am going to make a vanity address. 1amnoob.

I will be back in a couple months when it is done generating

Walletpassphrase xxxxx 2months

Be back soon!

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 02:28:30 AM

As a customer, I feel that the power issue is a critical issue and I do not feel that it's unreasonable to expect an answer from Tom on the subject.  Every other ASIC outfit has put out power figures, except Tom.  It makes me wonder why he's so reluctant to put out power estimates, especially with the understanding that they may be off by as much as 20%.

But in any case, I would like to know what's considered "competitive." 

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Zeronic

Activity: 243
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 02:29:38 AM

Well *** Specs claimed one thing but REAL WORLD Specs didn't live up to your guessing. I think CP is going to post real world numbers, why bother pushing the issues when they are just around the corner.

●   John McAfee Supports   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  Advertising Platform  ❱❱❱❱❱❱   
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  YOUC  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
Morblias

Activity: 576
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 02:38:55 AM

As a customer, I feel that the power issue is a critical issue and I do not feel that it's unreasonable to expect an answer from Tom on the subject.  Every other ASIC outfit has put out power figures, except Tom.  It makes me wonder why he's so reluctant to put out power estimates, especially with the understanding that they may be off by as much as 20%.

He probably doesn't want to make the mistake BFL did with the FPGA singles. Releasing a number and being way off. Don't get me wrong, I like both companies and they both make great products, but if someone doesn't feel comfortable pre-ordering these units without power figures, wait until they are released and then make your decision. That's just the same when BFL originally stated they were releasing ASICs back in July with very little information. A lot of people pre-ordered, but others waited until more information came out. I'm sure Tom will release this information soon. Also don't forget, Tom announced his bASIC about 2 months after BFL stated their ASICs, and BFL only announced the power numbers 2 weeks ago? Give Tom a little time.

It's kind of ironic, the next thread down is "Why is Butterfly Labs so secretive?" https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=118233.0 while BFL is requesting competitors specs Smiley

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 02:46:00 AM

As a customer, I feel that the power issue is a critical issue and I do not feel that it's unreasonable to expect an answer from Tom on the subject.  Every other ASIC outfit has put out power figures, except Tom.  It makes me wonder why he's so reluctant to put out power estimates, especially with the understanding that they may be off by as much as 20%.

He probably doesn't want to make the mistake BFL did with the FPGA singles. Releasing a number and being way off. Don't get me wrong, I like both companies and they both make great products, but if someone doesn't feel comfortable pre-ordering these units without power figures, wait until they are released and then make your decision. That's just the same when BFL originally stated they were releasing ASICs back in July with very little information. A lot of people pre-ordered, but others waited until more information came out. I'm sure Tom will release this information soon. Also don't forget, Tom announced his bASIC about 2 months after BFL stated their ASICs, and BFL only announced the power numbers 2 weeks ago? Give Tom a little time.

It's kind of ironic, the next thread down is "Why is Butterfly Labs so secretive?" https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=118233.0 while BFL is requesting competitors specs Smiley

Fair enough, so he can at least answer as to what he considers 'competitive' and if he'll offer refunds if he's not within that space.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
miter_myles

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 02:55:14 AM

BTC - 1D7g5395bs7idApTx1KTXrfDW7JUgzx6Z5
LTC - LVFukQnCWUimBxZuXKqTVKy1L2Jb8kZasL
SAC

Activity: 322

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 03:00:03 AM

... and if he'll offer refunds if he's not within that space.

Apparently you missed this post.

And yes as of right now I still have an open refund policy. If you change your mind on your pre-order just send me an email and I will process the refund right away - only 2 people have done this since I began taking pre-orders on 09/03 - and believe me my other customers will be happy to have your order out of the way Smiley Also while we are on that topic it is likely the refund policy will change when we go into production because I am going to have to spend a LOT of money to have these boards made (the bASIC order count around 700 as of right now) and I still have to finish paying back the investor that fronted the money to have the chips made. When the time gets close to start production of the boards - I will give a weeks notice on the change of refund policy so anyone that wants to change their mind will have enough time to do it, however just like ModMiner Quad owners are happy as hell with them - I know you guys are going to love this little device. It was engineers in California who are at the very top of their profession. This is a really special product and you guys are going to love it.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 03:04:05 AM

I didn't miss it, but I think you might have (relevant part bolded):

And yes as of right now I still have an open refund policy. If you change your mind on your pre-order just send me an email and I will process the refund right away - only 2 people have done this since I began taking pre-orders on 09/03 - and believe me my other customers will be happy to have your order out of the way  Also while we are on that topic it is likely the refund policy will change when we go into production because I am going to have to spend a LOT of money to have these boards made (the bASIC order count around 700 as of right now) and I still have to finish paying back the investor that fronted the money to have the chips made. When the time gets close to start production of the boards - I will give a weeks notice on the change of refund policy so anyone that wants to change their mind will have enough time to do it, however just like ModMiner Quad owners are happy as hell with them - I know you guys are going to love this little device. It was engineers in California who are at the very top of their profession. This is a really special product and you guys are going to love it.

Tom is saying he won't release power information until he has production boards... and his refund policy will change when that happens, meaning once he releases power information, you can't get a refund.  Seems a bit suspicious to me, but hey.  I just want to know if I can still get a refund if his power specs aren't competitive (and what competitive actually means).

regular

Activity: 297

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 03:05:15 AM

It's eye opening to see that Inaba is not defending the 1 watt/gigahash.  This means that it likely is just an overly optimistic estimate.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 03:09:06 AM

As a customer, I feel that the power issue is a critical issue and I do not feel that it's unreasonable to expect an answer from Tom on the subject.

You've pre-ordered a bASIC?

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
SAC

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 03:11:00 AM

I didn't miss it, but I think you might have (relevant part bolded):

And yes as of right now I still have an open refund policy. If you change your mind on your pre-order just send me an email and I will process the refund right away - only 2 people have done this since I began taking pre-orders on 09/03 - and believe me my other customers will be happy to have your order out of the way  Also while we are on that topic it is likely the refund policy will change when we go into production because I am going to have to spend a LOT of money to have these boards made (the bASIC order count around 700 as of right now) and I still have to finish paying back the investor that fronted the money to have the chips made. When the time gets close to start production of the boards - I will give a weeks notice on the change of refund policy so anyone that wants to change their mind will have enough time to do it, however just like ModMiner Quad owners are happy as hell with them - I know you guys are going to love this little device. It was engineers in California who are at the very top of their profession. This is a really special product and you guys are going to love it.

Tom is saying he won't release power information until he has production boards... and his refund policy will change when that happens, meaning once he releases power information, you can't get a refund.  Seems a bit suspicious to me, but hey.  I just want to know if I can still get a refund if his power specs aren't competitive (and what competitive actually means).

I miss nothing you intentionally mis-read/lead with your take on that section where it is crystal clear you can back out for any reason if your not happy with the specs or lack thereof, go play the red herring game elsewhere.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 03:16:22 AM

I don't have to defend it, our numbers are rock solid, thanks for asking though. Smiley 

As for pre-ordering a bASIC, of course. I'm pretty sure Tom has BFL equipment tucked away somewhere.

I miss nothing you intentionally mis-read/lead with your take on that section where it is crystal clear you can back out for any reason if your not happy with the specs or lack thereof, go play the red herring game elsewhere.

I beg to differ.  Can you show me where it's crystal clear then?  Tom has clearly stated that the refund policy will likely change.  He has also clearly stated he will not give out power numbers until he has the production boards.  That's pretty clear that there will likely be no refunds after he gives out the power numbers.  Please show me where I am incorrect.

SAC

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 03:27:00 AM

I don't have to defend it, our numbers are rock solid, thanks for asking though. Smiley 

As for pre-ordering a bASIC, of course. I'm pretty sure Tom has BFL equipment tucked away somewhere.

I beg to differ.  Can you show me where it's crystal clear then?  Tom has clearly stated that the refund policy will likely change.  He has also clearly stated he will not give out power numbers until he has the production boards.  That's pretty clear that there will likely be no refunds after he gives out the power numbers.  Please show me where I am incorrect.

Whatever you do neither yourself or BFL any favours by trying this FUD/smear campaign. What is the matter pre-order money dried up has it? Well too bad that is competition you should devote your energy to shipping your products in a reasonable time frame for a change.
cletus815

Activity: 67

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 03:27:20 AM

Tom also said, in the quote you provided, that he would give a one week notice to any refund policy changes to allow plenty of time for anybody to request one. It's very obvious he's not going to suddenly announce a policy change and screw over his customers as you are trying to imply.
squid

Activity: 112

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 03:44:08 AM

lol Inaba spreading FUD while Tom is out of town, real professional. I find it interesting that Tom uses past examples (ie facts) to explain why not to trust BFL's initial estimate then comes in here demanding simulation values. Notice how only BFL gives the claim of 1 gh/watt when even Avalon which actually has respectable engineers gives a much broader and realistic estimate of 2-10 watts/ghash. Tom also probably has the same high quality engineers (after all, the designed a better system than BFL would with the MMQ) who aren't so naive to say something is 1 gh/watt +/- 20%.

Stop wasting your time here Inaba and making BFL look worse than it already is; you should be spending time repairing the shit reputation that your company has gained from tactics that you are putting on display here (among the plethora of other shady half-truths your company makes).
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 03:49:10 AM

Well, this escalated quickly.
Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 »
  Print  

Jump to: