Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:24:18 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 [228] 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ESHOP launched] Trezor: Bitcoin hardware wallet  (Read 965822 times)
sugarfly

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

Zettel-Dolphin

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 05:56:04 PM
Last edit: September 22, 2016, 08:02:21 AM by sugarfly

he didn't use the name TREZOR though… he just called it "this little device"…  Tongue

So sadly, no free promotion for you guys.

But we who know, know.

-sf-
sugarfly

Zettel-Dolphin

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 06:13:09 PM
Last edit: September 22, 2016, 08:02:06 AM by sugarfly

haha, it gets even better… joe rogan "mocking" TREZOR calling it "little goophy f*cking bitcoin thing"

https://youtu.be/1sOxtBiBpE4

2:08:13

LMAO!  Grin

-sf-
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 09:52:44 PM

haha, it gets even better… joe rogan "mocking" TREZOR calling it "little goophy f*cking bitcoin thing"

https://youtu.be/1sOxtBiBpE4

2:08:13

LMAO!  Grin

Pay close attention. He wasnt calling it a goofy fing bitcoin thing. He was speculating that andreas' mom calls it that.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
sugarfly

Zettel-Dolphin

View Profile
September 12, 2016, 05:33:59 AM
Last edit: September 22, 2016, 08:01:38 AM by sugarfly

Pay close attention. He wasnt calling it a goofy fing bitcoin thing. He was speculating that andreas' mom calls it that.

Ehm yes, I was trying to make a joke. I'm sorry it flew over your head like that.  Grin
Anyway, I find it funny that they talked about the TREZOR for about 10 minutes without mentioning it by name.

-sf-
mrsky

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2016, 07:46:55 AM

Hi guys, I believe I'm as much hyped and "in love" with my Trezor as most of the guys around here.
One thing that stills puzzles me is if I can trust that there is no backdoor in these wallets? There is any resources of security experts that audited the product?
I understand Satoshi Labs is not a small BTC player and as miners they have interest that people feel secure in order to mine and buy BTCs without problems.

Just asking, real noob here. Cheers!
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2016, 01:31:57 PM

Hi guys, I believe I'm as much hyped and "in love" with my Trezor as most of the guys around here.
One thing that stills puzzles me is if I can trust that there is no backdoor in these wallets? There is any resources of security experts that audited the product?
I understand Satoshi Labs is not a small BTC player and as miners they have interest that people feel secure in order to mine and buy BTCs without problems.

This guy, Jochen Hoenicke, must have taken a pretty good run at trying to exploit it considering he succeeded.  That vulnerability has since been patched and now hes listed as a team member.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
xbach

Activity: 40

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 03:36:37 PM

The firmware running in Trezor is fully open-sourced, so everyone can audit the device. If we decided to implement a backdoor into the device, someone would notice it immediately (especially now, given that there is competition on the market).

Speaking from ideological point of view, it would be against our values to put a backdoor into Trezor. More importantly though, it would surely taint something that everyone in the team has worked so hard to build. The founders of SatoshiLabs are not some unknown peeps, but, I dare to say, are quite well-respected, so it would hurt them the most.

Of course, questions like these are welcome. You should not blindly trust someone!
aamarket

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2016, 03:46:39 PM

What if it hurts a little, but brings loads of BTC ? Wink

IMPORTANT:http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177133.0,Tips welcome BTC:1AAMARKETmJvfjDwEFmhyYYwfre7ZFVseP  RIC:RGnX6LcJrsVEuYeySDDxkmH7AjRqoprcKt
bitcapitalist

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 08:05:43 PM

When will the new trezor be available? Any idea?
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 02:03:06 AM
Last edit: September 15, 2016, 01:10:45 PM by Anon136

I was just thinking about something the other day that I can't seem to stop thinking about. Imagine a world with wide spread trezor adoption. And really this vision has nothing to do with crypto currency so to speak. At least it doesn't because it needn't and since everyone here is so cryptocurrency focused it I think it is useful, in making my point, to pretend like no such thing exists.

Imagine that each check out line at the store has a socket that ones trezor can be inserted into. It then proceeds to ask a question. Any question it likes. Example, transfer 50 USD from bank account UVW to account XYZ? Yes or no? Or would you like to transfer 0.01 ounces of gold from vault id ABC to vault id DEF. To which you can reply yes in exchange for the groceries the cacheer has just rung up for you. The cashier can then relay the digitally signed instructions to your bank to be validated. Imagine the same device can be used to securely authenticate on any website. Imagine it is used to sign a contract when you take out a loan or request that a service be provided in the future. Imagine your credit score is tied to that public key. Imagine you can request your craigslist partner to digitally authenticate before wasting your time to dive out to see him for nothing.

One device could securely manage every single identity related aspect of our lives. Which is every aspect of reputation and commerce. Its not just the money that would be saved in fraud prevention, that benefit would be in the TRILLIONS and it would only be the tip of the ice berg. More benefits still would come in the tearing down of archaic fraud prevention infrastructure. Even that is the smaller portion still. The biggest benefits would come in the form of eliminating transaction friction. The scope and scale of this benefit is beyond comprehension. All benefits combined I wouldn't be surprised to see a +10% increase in the net productivity of the human species. It would be like materializing a half dozen new Dubais and a half dozen new Hong Kongs out of the ether for the price of like $10 per human being (maybe less im not sure just how cheap trezors could be if produced at massive scale).

Can you even imagine.

Maybe I'll become wealthy enough to buy this company someday and push forward this vision. If the satoshi labs heroes ever could be compelled to sell Grin

*edit* I'm constantly trying to explain why I'm such a ridiculous nerd for these little devices. Maybe this will go further than any of my other posts towards explaining why.

xbach

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 09:46:11 AM

What if it hurts a little, but brings loads of BTC ? Wink

Oh, I really don't think cheating out on the BTC world would only hurt "a little." Wink

When will the new trezor be available? Any idea?

Work is in progress, quite diligently I must say, but no ETA Smiley  (Hackathon is coming up though!)

I was just thinking about something the other day that I can't seem to stop thinking about. Imagine a world with wide spread trezor adoption. And really this vision has nothing to do with crypto currency so to speak. At least it doesn't because it needn't and since everyone here is so cryptocurrency focused it I think it is useful, in making my point, to pretend like no such thing exists.

Imagine that each check out line at the store has a socket that ones trezor can be inserted into. It then proceeds to ask a question. Any question it likes. Example, transfer 50 USD from bank account UVW to account XYZ? Yes or no? To which you can reply yes in exchange for the groceries the cacheer has just rung up for you. The cashier can then relay the digitally signed instructions to your bank to be validated. Imagine the same device can be used to securely authenticate on any website. Imagine it is used to sign a contract when you take out a loan or request that a service be provided in the future. Imagine your credit score is tied to that public key. Imagine you can request your craigslist partner to digitally authenticate before wasting your time to dive out to see him for nothing.

One device could securely manage every single identity related aspect of our lives. Which is every aspect of reputation and commerce. Its not just the money that would be saved in fraud prevention, that benefit would be in the TRILLIONS and it would only be the tip of the ice berg. More benefits still would come in the tearing down of archaic fraud prevention infrastructure. Even that is the smaller portion still. The biggest benefits would come in the form of eliminating transaction friction. The scope and scale of this benefit is beyond comprehension. All benefits combined I wouldn't be surprised to see a +10% increase in the net productivity of the human species. It would be like materializing a half dozen new Dubais and a half dozen new Hong Kongs out of the ether for the price of like $10 per human being (maybe less im not sure just how cheap trezors could be if produced at massive scale).

Can you even imagine.

Maybe I'll become wealthy enough to buy this company someday and push forward this vision. If the satoshi labs heroes ever could be compelled to sell Grin

*edit* I'm constantly trying to explain why I'm such a ridiculous nerd for these little devices. Maybe this will go further than any of my other posts towards explaining why.

EDIT: Clicked Post too early.

Sounds like utopia Wink maybe one day we will get there Smiley I'd love to use my Trezor for everything too
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 01:26:09 PM
Last edit: September 15, 2016, 03:25:35 PM by Anon136

Sounds like utopia Wink maybe one day we will get there Smiley I'd love to use my Trezor for everything too

Yea. You know how history always has funny visions about the future? And in reality it turns out things have progressed a lot except in weirder ways than people expected. Like how we got the iphone instead of the flying car. Its sort of just as amazing if you think about it but VERY few people predicted it when people were envisioning flying cars.

That is what cryptographically secure, open source, intuitively operated and widely adopted identity management will be like. It will be so much bigger than bitcoin. Bitcoin was just devices like these first killer app. The first application that was so blindingly obvious that it was on the margin for first ever reason for creating devices like these. However, the whole rest of the entire world economy yet awaits.

If we (or someone) can manage to foster adoption of this type of product more broadly in the economy, it really could really be a next level development for the species of man.

xbach

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 02:55:35 PM

Yea. You know how history always has funny visions about the future? And in reality it turns out things have progressed a lot except in weirder ways than people expected. Like how we got the iphone instead of the flying car. Its sort of just as amazing if you think about it but VERY few people predicted it when people were envisioning flying cars.

That is what secure, open source, intuitively operated and widely adopted identity management will be like. It will be so much bigger than bitcoin. Bitcoin was just devices like these first killer app. The first application that was so blindingly obvious that it was on the margin for first ever reasons for creating devices like these. However, the whole rest of the entire world economy yet awaits.

If we (or someone) can manage to foster adoption of this type of product more broadly in the economy, it really could really be a next level development for the species of man.

You're mentioning open source.. I still remember when open source was frowned upon, now it is quite a common standard, and becoming even more common. Especially for security.

There is always room for improvement and we never know what awaits us Wink
xbach

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 04:18:21 PM

Talking about open source....

Here are 5 Reasons Why There Is No Secure Element in TREZOR Smiley

https://blog.trezor.io/is-banking-grade-security-good-enough-for-your-bitcoins-284065561e9b#.hgk9bbw74
cor

Activity: 121

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2016, 03:52:54 PM

Can you even imagine.

steering towards.. Smiley

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 03:58:17 PM

Imagine a world with wide spread trezor adoption.

I'd probably be in the minority when I say this, but if that becomes true I would get rid of my trezor. Privacy and such stuff.

Reality would be, I'd keep one for regular stuff, for convenience, but for everything else I don't want the world to know, it will be offline / off-the-grid.

What you described looks like a database of everything you do attached to a device. Whoever owns the company behind these devices would be rich with data (which they can sell.)

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 04:05:52 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2016, 04:16:44 PM by Anon136

Imagine a world with wide spread trezor adoption.

I'd probably be in the minority when I say this, but if that becomes true I would get rid of my trezor. Privacy and such stuff.

Reality would be, I'd keep one for regular stuff, for convenience, but for everything else I don't want the world to know, it will be offline / off-the-grid.

What you described looks like a database of everything you do attached to a device. Whoever owns the company behind these devices would be rich with data (which they can sell.)

You could put an endless series of unique identities on the BIP 32 tree structure. Its personal identity management we are talking about here. This is identity freedom. Identity empowerment.

Right now we are forced to use almost one identity for everything due to technological limits. If you want to get a loan for a house you have to give unfettered access to the entirety of your personal identity. This is the tyranny. Not the freedom that trezor would afford by empowering its users with the capacity to authenticate with the identity of their chossing, without reveling other identities or even if they have other identities.

You could literally have "rep" as a trustful drug dealer. Verify your rep before a client even talks to you so that he knows you arent a cop. Then hand your trazor to a cop and he would have no way of using it to identify you as mr drug dealer. That is like the least Orwellian thing I have ever heard.

What do you guys think. Do you think I could make a living as what andreas antonopoulos is to bitcoin except for trezor?

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 07:15:29 PM

You could put an endless series of unique identities on the BIP 32 tree structure. Its personal identity management we are talking about here. This is identity freedom. Identity empowerment.

Since you put it that way, it is probably a convenient way to carry your entire wallet with different identities with you on a small device. I'll wait till it evolves a little further or the price drops some more. (I don't have a trezor, or any other hardware wallet for that matter.)

For regular world "credit rating" you would need to consolidate everything into one identity though. There's just no way around that. One social security number / tax identification number / social insurance number / driver's license number / passport number. If you're a normal average person who would go through a normal average life, you need to stick to one identity for your home, your credit, your car and any loans from a normal bank.

We do that already anyway. The rest, like you say, can have as many identities as you require, effectively making it like electronic cash, and you simply ignore any "points" or "miles" or whatever. If it's a new identity per new transaction.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 11:18:45 AM

Right now we are forced to use almost one identity for everything due to technological limits. If you want to get a loan for a house you have to give unfettered access to the entirety of your personal identity. This is the tyranny. Not the freedom that trezor would afford by empowering its users with the capacity to authenticate with the identity of their chossing, without reveling other identities or even if they have other identities.

You could literally have "rep" as a trustful drug dealer. Verify your rep before a client even talks to you so that he knows you arent a cop. Then hand your trazor to a cop and he would have no way of using it to identify you as mr drug dealer. That is like the least Orwellian thing I have ever heard.

Unfortunately, the highly creative slave-masters who use the criminal alias "government" are several steps ahead. Not only are they full of talk about "no absolute right to privacy", but the "pre-crime" concept is actually beginning to get talked up by their degenerate criminal associates (a.k.a by their criminal moniker "policy think-tanks").

Won't give up your keys? "Thought crime" will put a stop to that. These "just-following-orders" types need to actually realise that everyday people can secure their own rights, that rights are not always something that someone bigger and stronger allows you to do.

What do you guys think. Do you think I could make a living as what andreas antonopoulos is to bitcoin except for trezor?

What makes you think Andreas makes a living doing what he does?

For regular world "credit rating" you would need to consolidate everything into one identity though. There's just no way around that. One social security number / tax identification number / social insurance number / driver's license number / passport number. If you're a normal average person who would go through a normal average life, you need to stick to one identity for your home, your credit, your car and any loans from a normal bank.

Why are you creating an association between those different data sets? What is the common factor between them that determines the benefit of associating them?

Vires in numeris
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 12:19:16 PM

Won't give up your keys? "Thought crime" will put a stop to that. These "just-following-orders" types need to actually realise that everyday people can secure their own rights, that rights are not always something that someone bigger and stronger allows you to do.
This is just a variant of the $5 wrench attack. You could selectively reveal some identities but not others. Thats the nice thing about the bip32 tree structure. You have no way of knowing whether or not a given node is at the top of the tree or not.

What makes you think Andreas makes a living doing what he does?
Well yea by talking his book. Don't know how that would work with trezor.

Pages: « 1 ... 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 [228] 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 »
  Print  

Jump to: