Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:01:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 »
  Print  
Author Topic: (Closed) Butter Bot!: Premier Bitstamp, and BTC-E EMA Trading Platform (Closed)  (Read 274746 times)
vesperwillow

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:52:59 PM

Here's some things for all of us to remember, relating to the questions being posed. The market is quite wavy right now, lots of volatility on an hourly and daily basis. If you "zoom out" and look at things over the course of weeks, or the past month, you'll see an overall trend of upward growth. This overall trend is what the bot thrives on.

Your EMA and Frequency settings help determine how the bot views the market--on a daily or hourly level with things swinging wildly, or more zoomed-out where there's a smooth curve. This is important. You want the bot to work over time, ideally examine your profit/loss on a montly level--NOT a daily or weekly level.

Trailing stop loss systems can be good, but can also be painful. The bot currently has something which will, when activated, dump all of your coin and convert it to cash. If you wanted something which simply stopped trading, what happens if BTC value suddenly dropped to $100 and remained there for months or years? With a trade-stop feature, you'd own BTC @ $900 while everyone else was buying in at $100.

The fact is it takes time to develop several settings which will work for you, and it'll take patience, but it can work. There will be losses, but the gains should outweigh them.

mboehler

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:39:16 PM

Here's some things for all of us to remember, relating to the questions being posed. The market is quite wavy right now, lots of volatility on an hourly and daily basis. If you "zoom out" and look at things over the course of weeks, or the past month, you'll see an overall trend of upward growth. This overall trend is what the bot thrives on.

Your EMA and Frequency settings help determine how the bot views the market--on a daily or hourly level with things swinging wildly, or more zoomed-out where there's a smooth curve. This is important. You want the bot to work over time, ideally examine your profit/loss on a montly level--NOT a daily or weekly level.

Trailing stop loss systems can be good, but can also be painful. The bot currently has something which will, when activated, dump all of your coin and convert it to cash. If you wanted something which simply stopped trading, what happens if BTC value suddenly dropped to $100 and remained there for months or years? With a trade-stop feature, you'd own BTC @ $900 while everyone else was buying in at $100.

The fact is it takes time to develop several settings which will work for you, and it'll take patience, but it can work. There will be losses, but the gains should outweigh them.

+1

Very well said!
5flags

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 01:50:57 PM

Need a quick reply to this one Smiley

My bot sold after the sell off due to the JPM scarmongering. I bought back in manually, do I need to deactivate the bot to stop it selling on its next tick? (Due in 10 minutes).

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
5flags

Activity: 224

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 02:04:08 PM

Well, I got an email from the Bot saying a sell order had been triggered. Luckily, I had disabled the API key.

My bot runs in a VM that I don't have access to right now, which is why I had to disable the API.

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
OleOle

Activity: 532

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:08:52 PM

Hi OleOle & Naeir.

I'm relatively new to the bot- I've been using it since I think October. I used to use the 'suggested' settings for BTC-e, until one day the bot sold low & bought high because of them, and then I went looking for new settings, and someome on the forums here suggested that I dial down my EMA numbers. Doing so was the best thing I've ever done, because now in backtesting, depending on the day,  I can sometimes get over 16,000% profit from my new settings.

So I'll share them with you, and will suggest that you slowly tweak the buy/sell threshold numbers, testing them with backtesting every day or so to see how different numbers affect the settings. Go slow with the adjustments. And try tiny negative numbers in place of the zeros on them.

Short EMA: 7
Long EMA: 15
Frequency: 2 Hours
Buy Thresholds: 0/0.25
Sell Thresholds: 0/0.1
Tick Offset: Anything

I also use bitcoinwisdom.com and enter these EMA numbers into it and set it to display EMA lines so I can watch & see what the bot sees, I find it helps to visualize what's happening. It also helps to visualize new strategies before I test them in the bot by punching the numbers into bitcoinwisdom first, too & seeing where the EMA lines would cross.

So good luck, hopefully these settings will either help or inspire you.

Thanks very much NginUS, while it's one thing for people to comment on what they think the bot does or what they think the market will do over time, it's quite another to share your settings and your ideas for tweaking them, thank you Smiley I really appreciate that as it helps my understanding of the changing of settings in the context of the current choppy market and the quite wide range of flexibility that the settings allow.

Really appreciate all your comments, guidance and observations. There's no doubt that it's going to be tricky to get the balance right between taking a longer term view to work with the design parameters of the bot over the longer term and honing the settings to take account of the shorter term volatility in the market. You mention that you are constantly backtesting your settings, this does make sense when you get your settings into a 'sweet spot' where you feel that they are adapted nicely to the current market and are making a certain level of profit. I'm nowhere near that 'sweet spot' yet, so I'll review your remarks and the comments that other folks have kindly made and I'm sure that with some time and application I'll be able to make greater sense of it all and fine tune the settings. I also like the idea of being able to visualise things, so I'll take your advice and use bitcoinwisdom to 'paint the EMA pictures'.

Thanks very much once again, it's greatly appreciated.

Smiley

vesperwillow

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:21:26 PM

Hi OleOle & Naeir.

I'm relatively new to the bot- I've been using it since I think October. I used to use the 'suggested' settings for BTC-e, until one day the bot sold low & bought high because of them, and then I went looking for new settings, and someome on the forums here suggested that I dial down my EMA numbers. Doing so was the best thing I've ever done, because now in backtesting, depending on the day,  I can sometimes get over 16,000% profit from my new settings.

So I'll share them with you, and will suggest that you slowly tweak the buy/sell threshold numbers, testing them with backtesting every day or so to see how different numbers affect the settings. Go slow with the adjustments. And try tiny negative numbers in place of the zeros on them.

I also use bitcoinwisdom.com and enter these EMA numbers into it and set it to display EMA lines so I can watch & see what the bot sees, I find it helps to visualize what's happening. It also helps to visualize new strategies before I test them in the bot by punching the numbers into bitcoinwisdom first, too & seeing where the EMA lines would cross.

Thanks very much NginUS, while it's one thing for people to comment on what they think the bot does or what they think the market will do over time, it's quite another to share your settings and your ideas for tweaking them, thank you Smiley I really appreciate that as it helps my understanding of the changing of settings in the context of the current choppy market and the quite wide range of flexibility that the settings allow.

Really appreciate all your comments, guidance and observations. There's no doubt that it's going to be tricky to get the balance right between taking a longer term view to work with the design parameters of the bot over the longer term and honing the settings to take account of the shorter term volatility in the market. You mention that you are constantly backtesting your settings, this does make sense when you get your settings into a 'sweet spot' where you feel that they are adapted nicely to the current market and are making a certain level of profit. I'm nowhere near that 'sweet spot' yet, so I'll review your remarks and the comments that other folks have kindly made and I'm sure that with some time and application I'll be able to make greater sense of it all and fine tune the settings. I also like the idea of being able to visualise things, so I'll take your advice and use bitcoinwisdom to 'paint the EMA pictures'.

Smiley

If you search you can find lots of settings. I gave NginUS a bunch of my settings to try out, this one looks like a modified one of mine. Glad to see it is helpful.

Bitcoinwisdom.com and some math can be very helpful when figuring this out.

mboehler

Activity: 68

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:33:51 PM

Currently my bot shows "Invalid Symbol" instead of a graph when I click on BTC-e.  Is anyone else having this issue?
seanrarey

Activity: 168

BuyAnythingWithBitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 05:07:54 PM

Currently my bot shows "Invalid Symbol" instead of a graph when I click on BTC-e.  Is anyone else having this issue?

Logged into the forum for this very reason; to see if anyone else is seeing this.  Guess it is not just me.

Smiley

fible1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1183
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 07:17:45 PM

Hey Guys Smiley,
   The chart problem is actually a cosmetic issue with our graph provider BitcoinCharts; we expect it to be resolved within a few days and it in no way affects trading.

Please see here: http://www.bitcoincharts.com/news/

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you guys need anything at all Smiley.

Pablo.

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
"Crypto Success":  bit.ly/Crypto-Success; "Principles for Crypto Investment":  bit.ly/Crypto-Principles; "Crypto Survival":  bit.ly/Crypto-Survival';
PGP Key(s): Pablo@Pablo-Lema.com: http://pastebin.com/V8Z4WxUE
vesperwillow

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 07:46:56 PM

A site which offers hot latinas for BTC? Grin

(just had to disrupt the topic)

fible1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 07:51:22 PM

A site which offers hot latinas for BTC? Grin

(just had to disrupt the topic)

Hmmm, not a bad plan: *starts googling*

Cheesy

Pablo.

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
"Crypto Success":  bit.ly/Crypto-Success; "Principles for Crypto Investment":  bit.ly/Crypto-Principles; "Crypto Survival":  bit.ly/Crypto-Survival';
NginUS

Activity: 190

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 08:53:50 PM

Hi OleOle & Naeir.

Smiley

If you search you can find lots of settings. I gave NginUS a bunch of my settings to try out, this one looks like a modified one of mine. Glad to see it is helpful.

Actually, Vesperwillow, I came up with these myself, by tweaking EMA values in bitcoinwisdom first to see where the crosses landed on the curves. Your settings scared me away because they were all 15 minutes ffrequency.

I thank you nevertheless for sharing your settings with me, as yyour assistance came at a time for me when I was too noob to have the confidence to try new settings on my own.

It just so happens that around the same time that you sent me youer settings, I discovered U could visualize the EMA lines on bitcoinwisdom. That set me free since I could see what the numbers were doing to the crosses. That combined with trial & error & backtesting helped me formulate these here settings.
ekissane

Activity: 64

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 10:39:19 PM

Signed up for the trial of Butter Bot yesterday and got it all set up no problem. It sold all my bitcoins about 7 hours ago and since then it has been giving me a message that the Bitstamp API is experiencing problems. I have removed the extension from Chrome. Now I'm unable to log in to bitstamp.net with the message saying

www.bitstamp.net
owner has denied your access to the site.
Error Description This request was blocked by the security rules

Is it possible that constant requests from Butter Bot from my IP address has caused them to block my IP address?
ekissane

Activity: 64

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 10:43:12 PM

Just tried connecting using my phone as a wifi hotspot and connected no problem. Seems my IP address has been blocked. What's that all about?
NginUS

Activity: 190

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 10:47:35 PM

Signed up for the trial of Butter Bot yesterday and got it all set up no problem. It sold all my bitcoins about 7 hours ago and since then it has been giving me a message that the Bitstamp API is experiencing problems. I have removed the extension from Chrome. Now I'm unable to log in to bitstamp.net with the message saying

www.bitstamp.net
owner has denied your access to the site.
Error Description This request was blocked by the security rules

Is it possible that constant requests from Butter Bot from my IP address has caused them to block my IP address?

Be sure to send Pablo an email about this, to guarantee a response. His email address is at the footer of all his posts under the handle Fible1.
vesperwillow

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:06:42 PM

Hi OleOle & Naeir.

Smiley

Actually, Vesperwillow, I came up with these myself, by tweaking EMA values in bitcoinwisdom first to see where the crosses landed on the curves. Your settings scared me away because they were all 15 minutes ffrequency.

I thank you nevertheless for sharing your settings with me, as yyour assistance came at a time for me when I was too noob to have the confidence to try new settings on my own.

It just so happens that around the same time that you sent me youer settings, I discovered U could visualize the EMA lines on bitcoinwisdom. That set me free since I could see what the numbers were doing to the crosses. That combined with trial & error & backtesting helped me formulate these here settings.

I stand humbly corrected, and am glad you have benefited!

Yeah I have some short frequency trade settings, and I also have 2-8 hour ones as well. I told Pablo month or 2 ago, there should be a 'settings storage' capability, along with some notes on it. Heck, with enough settings, the bot could have some simple AI to dynamically choose the right settings ...

fible1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 12:34:24 AM

Hi OleOle & Naeir.

Smiley

I stand humbly corrected, and am glad you have benefited!

Yeah I have some short frequency trade settings, and I also have 2-8 hour ones as well. I told Pablo month or 2 ago, there should be a 'settings storage' capability, along with some notes on it. Heck, with enough settings, the bot could have some simple AI to dynamically choose the right settings ...

I am pushing for profiles in the next version, should not be a problem Smiley.

Pablo.

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
Naelr

Activity: 231

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 05:30:54 AM

Hi OleOle & Naeir.

Smiley

I want to +1 everything OleOle just said... I have read everything between his post that I quote and this one and want to also thank Vesperwillow for sharing his knowledge with NginUS who in turn shared it with us.  Allowing all of us to prosper from shared knowledge is what makes things like Bitcoin and opensource communities what they are today.  So many times have I asked in the BTC-e trollbox for some insite into bots and trading with the API that I was just lost.  I understand people wanting to make a buck but can't we all profit some?  Much thanks also goes to fible1 for offering the bot (which I just purchased last night because in the trial it paid for itself).  I have been using bitcoinwisdom and playing with the EMA crosses which is how I knew where the bot should have sold but didn't.  What I am having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around is exactly what the long and short EMA really mean.  I am going to search now.. 3 sick kids and the wife and myself have made my research time limited this week.  I just set the bot and forgot about it and got lucky I guess.  Going to play with BCwisdom and some backtesting settings... Again thanks for sharing my faith in humanity has been restored... hahahahha j/k ... but really thanks.

Naelr

Join me in hosted mining.  And always use 2 Factor Auth whenever possible.
CEX.IO hosting mining
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:42:34 AM

I am pushing for profiles in the next version, should not be a problem Smiley.

Pablo.
Have the new hired staff been completed? Can we expect an accelerated release schedule of new or planned features?
Bitcopia

Activity: 715

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 06:58:14 PM

Pablo,

I am a big fan of the simplicity of the bot. I strongly believe in simple, emotionally detached trading systems, which is exactly what this bot allows for.

If I could make a couple of quick suggestions:

1. It would be an excellent feature to set volume parameters, as the EMA system is not very effective in sideways markets. I believe this could help identify stronger incoming trends and leave out weak sideways choppiness.

2. The backtesting feature is nice, however, it would be awesome to be able to customize time frames. Instead of backtesting the past x months, it would be great to be able to back test a specified period such as 4.10.2013 - 8.09.2013. This would make testing different settings in different market conditions significantly simpler.

I apologize if any of these suggestions have already been made as I did not take the time to read through all 83 pages of this thread!
Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 »
  Print  

Jump to: