Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:34:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 ... 155 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Sixth alt coin thread I forgot to mod last thread.  (Read 80153 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
citronick
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 07:44:52 PM

is nicehash fair?
never used it, but in case of btcgold it might make sense, perhaps.
my nvidias are on equihash already, my amds are split between ethereum (2/3) and etn (for just a few days now).
I can probably do about 9500-10000 sols (23 GPUs).

I gather that nobody knows how many GPUs will go for btcgold and what price it would have vs btc.
I would hate to break the current setup only to go back.
Any word on US based pools (other than nicehash)?
Connecting to Singapore might not work out well.

That SG pool looks lame...

I am putting my bets on this pool - https://pool.miningspeed.com/getting_started

It covers all geos - US, EU and Asia

The front end is also informative so I am keen on this pool for BTG.

However, my strategy is to park at NH Equihash and perhaps get some premium rentors since BTG diff level will be lower on Sunday.

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
citronick
Legendary

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 07:51:58 PM

Seems like you are using a different type of breakout board than what is available through parallelminer. Your type is perfect for hanging the PSU fan side up, could you refer me to the source if it is not proprietory?

I do have some BB from PM but there are expensive - those Voltage LEDs are nice but for me its "good to have", doesn't warrant the premium.

I got cheaper ones from Aliexpress with reasonable quality and so far so good.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Server-Power-Supply-12V-6-Pin-Converter-9-of-6-pin-1-of-4-pin-Output/32828342704.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3X3Ulq

Aliexpress is having their year end sale called "11:11" -- during 11 Nov -- looking for good savings there.

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
Mikaelxiong

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 08:12:08 PM

I just order 6 RX 580 8 GB for my first crypto mining rig.  This seems pretty fun.  Will read previous post to get up to speed with this type of mining.
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 08:41:41 PM

I am wondering that adding exhaust fan makes any difference on top of the current setup? Please advise.
You're wondering if venting heated air will make the place cooler..?

Yes, technically I want to know it really helps cooling the room.

Adding more exhaust capacity to get that hot air out is very important.  90F is not too hot for the hardware to be safe running 24/7 as long as you can exhaust that hot air out of there and keep the GPU temperatures safe.  How hot are your GPUs running when it's 90 F in the room?

They are about 75-78F when it is 90F. Temps are here : https://ibb.co/kuBbAw

AC is a waste of electricity unless you have  free power, your exhuast fans need to be ABOVE your rigs not in at the same level and you  also need to make sure your room is somewhat presurerized

you can tell this by when you open the doors you feel the suction of the exhaust fans pulling heat up.

I have 30 rigs in my garage with only 1 of six exhasut fans going and my temps are like 30 degreees in winter, fall with three fans going like 60

How big size is the exhaust fans? I wonder what type is the most useful for venting.

Option 1 : http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hvac/exhaust-fans/exhaust-and-supply/24in-heavy-duty-exhaust-fan-with-integrated-shutter-if24-4100-cfm?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIicG6v5K01wIVhoWzCh2UqwtCEAYYBCABEgIMOvD_BwE

Option 2 : http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hvac/fans/blower/portable-ventilation-fan-12-inch-with-32-feet-flexible-ducting?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIicG6v5K01wIVhoWzCh2UqwtCEAYYAiABEgI5kvD_BwE

I want to test Option 2 to vent the heated air to see if it works better.

@Phil : Sorry to dive into your conversation.

If you have your GPUs only running the fans at 30-40% or so and your temps are still only in the 70s Celsius (going by the image you linked) then you really are doing great. If you would run your fans at 60-65% you would have lower GPU temps and still have plenty of longevity for the fans themselves.

I think the only thing you really need to be worrying about is ditching that AC unit and getting some good industrial exhaust fans installed... that will save you allot each month on your electric bill and keep things just as cool and probably cooler.
hawkfish007

Activity: 895
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 09:32:26 PM

Seems like you are using a different type of breakout board than what is available through parallelminer. Your type is perfect for hanging the PSU fan side up, could you refer me to the source if it is not proprietory?

I do have some BB from PM but there are expensive - those Voltage LEDs are nice but for me its "good to have", doesn't warrant the premium.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Server-Power-Supply-12V-6-Pin-Converter-9-of-6-pin-1-of-4-pin-Output/32828342704.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3X3Ulq

Aliexpress is having their year end sale called "11:11" -- during 11 Nov -- looking for good savings there.

Thanks for the link, is it compatible with Hp 1200 watt?

For quality risers, splitters or 133 CFM fans, please visit my eBay listings,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/hawkfish007/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 12:16:12 AM

Here's a prototype frame for the Onda D1800 motherboard:

Grin

Looks NEAT!

Could you share the measurement and material information?

He builds cases for sale not that sure he would tell you the info.

@ spotswood  the larger board was delayed  It arrives on monday.  I will send it out to you on Tuesday.

I have  10 of these coming this monday.

my cost..........       142
my markup...........     8
shipping to  usa.....   20  maybe less

Ill take one of those boards to test for sure
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 12:28:10 AM

Vega 56 is pretty much a one-trick pony on Monero at this time for cost and efficient cryptocoin mining, based on the info I've seen.

The 1070Tis are crap at eth,  I dont see how the 56 is a one trick pony when it hits high hash rates on pretty much every algo it is used on , sorry but you are not making sense lol.

They were back up to $459 or $469 when I checked Newegg pricing right before that post - RIGHT NOW there is a Power Color model at $409, a Gigabyte at $429, and the rest are OVER $500.

On a hash/$ basis, even at $400 they barely match a RX 470/480/570/580 while being less power efficient per every posting I've seen.
 On everything else BUT Monero (and D.Net RC5-72 work) they are VERY poor on a hash/$ basis and usually not competative on hash/watt.

ETH algo is about the ONLY algo the 1070 ti is "crap" at - far more flexable card than Vega 56 is and efficient at a LOT of algorithms.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
xppb00

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 02:18:00 AM

I am wondering that adding exhaust fan makes any difference on top of the current setup? Please advise.

Adding more exhaust capacity to get that hot air out is very important.  90F is not too hot for the hardware to be safe running 24/7 as long as you can exhaust that hot air out of there and keep the GPU temperatures safe.  How hot are your GPUs running when it's 90 F in the room?

AC is a waste of electricity unless you have  free power, your exhuast fans need to be ABOVE your rigs not in at the same level and you  also need to make sure your room is somewhat presurerized

you can tell this by when you open the doors you feel the suction of the exhaust fans pulling heat up.

I have 30 rigs in my garage with only 1 of six exhasut fans going and my temps are like 30 degreees in winter, fall with three fans going like 60

How big size is the exhaust fans? I wonder what type is the most useful for venting.

Option 1 : http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hvac/exhaust-fans/exhaust-and-supply/24in-heavy-duty-exhaust-fan-with-integrated-shutter-if24-4100-cfm?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIicG6v5K01wIVhoWzCh2UqwtCEAYYBCABEgIMOvD_BwE

Option 2 : http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hvac/fans/blower/portable-ventilation-fan-12-inch-with-32-feet-flexible-ducting?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIicG6v5K01wIVhoWzCh2UqwtCEAYYAiABEgI5kvD_BwE

If you have your GPUs only running the fans at 30-40% or so and your temps are still only in the 70s Celsius (going by the image you linked) then you really are doing great. If you would run your fans at 60-65% you would have lower GPU temps and still have plenty of longevity for the fans themselves.

I think the only thing you really need to be worrying about is ditching that AC unit and getting some good industrial exhaust fans installed... that will save you allot each month on your electric bill and keep things just as cool and probably cooler.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will buy a portable version to test venting the air.
citronick
Legendary

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 03:10:07 AM

Thanks for the link, is it compatible with Hp 1200 watt?

I tried it with HP 1200w, 1500w, 750w and the Deltas - No issues - its just a BB - like a switchboard.

The Pico kit is the one that we should pay attention too.

As long as your Pico is at least 150w rated, its good enough for standard mining mobo - unless mobo is dual CPU or using Xeons, you probably need higher rated Picos like 180w/200w - does that makes sense?

citronick
Legendary

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 03:37:31 AM

Thanks for your suggestion. I will buy a portable version to test venting the air.

I gone through the ups and downs of managing temps in the GPU farm.

The lessons I learnt as follows, hope it helps in your environment.

1. Hot air naturally goes up - so your vent/blower out should be on top to naturally move hot air out of the farm/room.

2. Floor standing fans pointed upwards are useful to get airflow moving upwards - get rid of hot air pockets forming at rig level.

3. Static pressure VS non-Static pressure - use them to help you move hot air quicker. Avoid having outake vents/fans without intake vents/fans. Always have IN and OUT airflow so that no hot air are recycled into the farm/room.

4. The fastest rigs, ie superclocked at supersonic speed, will create lots of heat (probably reduce the lifetime of your GPUs too) and your over stressed PSUs will also produce heat - Beware that most super fast rigs are NOT stable over time. My ETH farm in the early days was a monster of a setup 30-31MHs rigs screaming away and power bill was high. However, they do need reboots due to hang etc. I was using Windows then. Currently, my farm is all Linux using smOS. Only a handful W10 for NVIDIA and test rigs. ETH mining is very very stable, cool and steady hashrate at about modest 26-28MHs rigs resulting hashrate to pool's stratum servers consistently without interruption and zero stales. I stopped ETH mining about 2 months ago. Now NH/Cryptonite and later BTG.

5. I have 2 of those air extractors/blowers - I don't use them often but on very hot days I use them and position the orange hose on top the big rigs (12/13/19 GPUs rigs) zone. My big rigs zone is in the middle of the farm. The surrounding perimeter are all the 6/7/8 GPU rigs.

6. All Deltas and server PSUs are hung like bats -- exhaust pointing upwards.

7. The farm has CCTV and I can remotely monitor environmental like temps and decibels via the CCTV.

8. AC is not required - I tried it ... AC is useless. Unless you are using Data Centre grade AC then that's a different story altogether. Its all about INTAKE and OUTAKE (top) and moving HOT AIR UPWARDS to the top as fast as possible.

Marvell2

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 04:17:44 AM

So this discussion has me thinking too

Its getting cold here and my intake fan i use to bring in cool filtered air into my basement is basically freezing  the entire house when we get to sub 15 degree temps, woke up feeling like an icicle last night so I picked up this

then plugged in the cord for the exhaust fan (2500CFM job)
sorry for the bad fan images its an intake exhaust fan set currently to perma intake,
Like the previous poster I found exhaust does not work at all if its on the same level of your miners , plus my basement is huge around 1200 feet and thee
fan is in the only window which is actually a windowsill and that is way across from where the rigs are, around 10 feet away.

Side not, I ran this fan all last year with great results summer and winter the one issue I had was the excessive amount of dust brought into my basement
so this fall I created this custom filter using re-usable/washable filters.  Seems to be helping so far, at least stopping all the bugs and larger particles
we shall see.  Hopefully this gives other folks some ideas, believe me filtering intake are is crucial, dust really accumulates on  those rig fans and motherboards
and it can cause major static issues.

anyways back to my question.

SO this new lux thermostat thing works great, the only problem is my miners are across the room from the intake fan where the temp is set  to 78 degrees on the lux

what that means is it only takes around 15 mins of the fan not running for the temps hit my target temp of 78 degrees ,  then only 5 mins or so of running to cool  that side of the room again back to my target

temp. 

I worry if the constant starting stopping of the fan (its industrial grade) could damage it ?

Another option maybe is to run a extension cable to the mining area and then put the thermostat plug there ? maybe using the higher temperature of that area (82 degrees) could increase the delay before the fan kicks in.

Either way the current system is working for now, but there has to be a better way ?

JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2017, 04:32:07 AM

put a variac on the fan power lead to limit the voltage to the unit;  you can use the variac as a psuedo speed controller.  Maybe you can find a setting that's the right amount of flow for 100% on-time to limit starts and stops.

More fans specifically just circulating air into or out of the hotspots of the room will help keep it all equal as well

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
Marvell2

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 04:40:26 AM

put a variac on the fan power lead to limit the voltage to the unit;  you can use the variac as a psuedo speed controller.  Maybe you can find a setting that's the right amount of flow for 100% on-time to limit starts and stops.

More fans specifically just circulating air into or out of the hotspots of the room will help keep it all equal as well

Yeah I though about that , that i think is the best solution, I fan speed control unit laying , only problem with that is I have to cut and re-wire the box again and I dont want to do that again , its a pain messing with
that tiny  box. 

Do you have a link to a cheap Variac unit that I could use that allows for up to 10A , 120V continuous ? Alot of the ones are only meant to be run for 2 hrs
Marvell2

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 04:41:54 AM

btw I found this on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B076J37KN3/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

$188 free shipping ? long delivery date though
philipma1957 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 7858

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2017, 04:51:39 AM

Yeah I though about that , that i think is the best solution, I fan speed control unit laying , only problem with that is I have to cut and re-wire the box again and I dont want to do that again , its a pain messing with
that tiny  box. 

Do you have a link to a cheap Variac unit that I could use that allows for up to 10A , 120V continuous ? Alot of the ones are only meant to be run for 2 hrs

Pm me I have at least two in the house,

Used but very good quality

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2017, 04:53:50 AM

that tiny  box.  

Just get a variac with an outlet on it, and I am sure you should be fine...  just put it in between the controller and fan.

Most variac's can hold 10A no problem AFAIK.

Lemme pull up a ebay listing so you have an idea of what to shoot for: Ebay item#262487292564
Says it holds 20A... so should be plenty.

Just verify that your speed selected, still starts up the motor upon power failure;  or it could sit there and burn up the brushes if you have it set too low.

*edit* phil may be an option as well Wink

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
Marvell2

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 04:58:14 AM

that tiny  box.  

Just get a variac with an outlet on it, and I am sure you should be fine...  just put it in between the controller and fan.

Most variac's can hold 10A no problem AFAIK.

Lemme pull up a ebay listing so you have an idea of what to shoot for: Ebay item#262487292564
Says it holds 20A... so should be plenty.

Just verify that your speed selected, still starts up the motor upon power failure;  or it could sit there and burn up the brushes if you have it set too low.

*edit* phil may be an option as well Wink

Yeah thats exactly what I need thanks !, Ill wait to hear from phil and see which units he has, fuck ebay lol
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 05:10:27 AM

Quick question for anyone who has tried it themselves --- will an HD 7950 and/or a R9 280X mine with just 1 of the 2 PCIE cables plugged in from the PSU?  I'm thinking of cobbling a simple 2 GPU rig together out of old parts that have been sitting in storage and pointing it at Equihash or Cryptonight algorithms. I suspect that I would have both GPUs at or under 120 watts each, so an 8 pin cable + the 75 watts from the motherboard would be more then enough juice, at least on paper.
philipma1957 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 7858

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2017, 05:32:32 AM

Yeah I got lots of them.

I have to find the one in the garage.

0 to 130 volts.  Set it at 90 or 100 volts

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
Mikaelxiong

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 06:27:54 AM

I gone through the ups and downs of managing temps in the GPU farm.

The lessons I learnt as follows, hope it helps in your environment.

1. Hot air naturally goes up - so your vent/blower out should be on top to naturally move hot air out of the farm/room.

2. Floor standing fans pointed upwards are useful to get airflow moving upwards - get rid of hot air pockets forming at rig level.

3. Static pressure VS non-Static pressure - use them to help you move hot air quicker. Avoid having outake vents/fans without intake vents/fans. Always have IN and OUT airflow so that no hot air are recycled into the farm/room.

4. The fastest rigs, ie superclocked at supersonic speed, will create lots of heat (probably reduce the lifetime of your GPUs too) and your over stressed PSUs will also produce heat - Beware that most super fast rigs are NOT stable over time. My ETH farm in the early days was a monster of a setup 30-31MHs rigs screaming away and power bill was high. However, they do need reboots due to hang etc. I was using Windows then. Currently, my farm is all Linux using smOS. Only a handful W10 for NVIDIA and test rigs. ETH mining is very very stable, cool and steady hashrate at about modest 26-28MHs rigs resulting hashrate to pool's stratum servers consistently without interruption and zero stales. I stopped ETH mining about 2 months ago. Now NH/Cryptonite and later BTG.

5. I have 2 of those air extractors/blowers - I don't use them often but on very hot days I use them and position the orange hose on top the big rigs (12/13/19 GPUs rigs) zone. My big rigs zone is in the middle of the farm. The surrounding perimeter are all the 6/7/8 GPU rigs.

6. All Deltas and server PSUs are hung like bats -- exhaust pointing upwards.

7. The farm has CCTV and I can remotely monitor environmental like temps and decibels via the CCTV.

8. AC is not required - I tried it ... AC is useless. Unless you are using Data Centre grade AC then that's a different story altogether. Its all about INTAKE and OUTAKE (top) and moving HOT AIR UPWARDS to the top as fast as possible.

Awesome!!!  Thanks for sharing.  I will apply all this to my rig.
Pages: « 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 ... 155 »
  Print  

Jump to: