Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:10:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 [314] 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058361 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 12:24:57 AM

I didn't say there was malice involved, but it doesn't change the situation. Here's the deal:

Every month right now, there are 8 BTC or so given out to those that are on the earnings files. If half of us aren't on it and half are, they're getting 2x as much payment while the rest get nothing. 8 BTC is quite a bit to just ignore right now, especially if DVC ever rises (in which case it's now significantly more than 8 BTC per month being misappropriated).

Oh, I get that, and it's disappointing. You're correct about this not being something to ignore. You're also correct about not really being able to access the files and clean things up.

What do you recommend as a next step?

I have no idea. I reached out to UTB already about a week ago and still haven't heard back. Not sure what we can do without him, and his absence is causing a lot of issues. We're in limbo until either he does something or he allows someone else to do it.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 04:05:34 AM

I have no idea. I reached out to UTB already about a week ago and still haven't heard back. Not sure what we can do without him, and his absence is causing a lot of issues. We're in limbo until either he does something or he allows someone else to do it.

I got a message from him May 27 asking me to upload round 47 receiver files to my website. What exactly do you mean by "his absence" and being unsure what we can do without him?
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 04:58:07 AM

I got a message from him May 27 asking me to upload round 47 receiver files to my website. What exactly do you mean by "his absence" and being unsure what we can do without him?

June 3 - May 27 = 7 days = a week

Anyways, he's the only one with access to alter receivers, as far as I'm aware. Things like adding admins to it, bounties, etc. If we can't add people or take people off the list, we're effectively left with no power. If we can't control the project, and he isn't... I don't get what you're missing, lol.

It's like working at Walmart and having an issue with your paycheck:

"Can I speak to the manager?"
"Sorry... not sure where he is"
"Who can I get a hold of to fix my payment issue?"
"The manager"
"Where is he?"
"I told you, we have no idea. When he randomly pops in, you can ask him. Until then, you'll just have to work without pay or find another job. Oh, and any money you have earned and continue to earn will just be split among the people that are still on the payroll, so you're effectively working to earn them more money while you get nothing. Sorry dude!"

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 10:28:53 PM

Anyways, he's the only one with access to alter receivers, as far as I'm aware. Things like adding admins to it, bounties, etc. If we can't add people or take people off the list, we're effectively left with no power. If we can't control the project, and he isn't... I don't get what you're missing, lol.

"The manager"
"Where is he?"
"I told you, we have no idea. When he randomly pops in, you can ask him. Until then, you'll just have to work without pay or find another job. Oh, and any money you have earned and continue to earn will just be split among the people that are still on the payroll, so you're effectively working to earn them more money while you get nothing. Sorry dude!"

So you're assuming that because we haven't heard from UTB in a week that he's no longer controlling the project? Or is there something else going on? That strikes me as similar to the assumption that was made that because I (and some others) wasn't checking this thread regularly and I missed an announcement about filling out a form with our admin duties, that I had disappeared and wasn't attending to my duties any longer.

I probably am missing key information, but not hearing from someone in a week doesn't in and of itself strike me as a huge issue. If that week drags into several weeks or months, then yes, it's a concern.

But I get the feeling there are other things going on, and that's probably what I'm missing.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 11:19:12 PM

"The manager"
"Where is he?"

So you're assuming that because we haven't heard from UTB in a week that he's no longer controlling the project? Or is there something else going on? That strikes me as similar to the assumption that was made that because I (and some others) wasn't checking this thread regularly and I missed an announcement about filling out a form with our admin duties, that I had disappeared and wasn't attending to my duties any longer.

I probably am missing key information, but not hearing from someone in a week doesn't in and of itself strike me as a huge issue. If that week drags into several weeks or months, then yes, it's a concern.

But I get the feeling there are other things going on, and that's probably what I'm missing.

What it means is that he's not actively controlling it. If it takes us 1 week to a month to get a hold of him for problems, that's way too long. I had an issue before with a user and it took him almost 5 weeks to get back to me. You can't run a project when someone only shows up once a month for a quick period and then disappears for another month. Issues are then left for up to a month at a time. i.e., you want to add a new user? You can't do it for over a month because he'll show up AFTER the previous month's receivers are generated, and THEN he'll respond (and maybe add them). In other words, it takes new users as many as 2 months to be added. Most people aren't going to want to wait 1/6 of a year just to be added, and then another 1/6 of a year to actually receive anything.

There are many other issues with the system now as well, but this whole "wait a month until I return and I'll respond" thing isn't viable for a project.

Anyways, you're free to do whatever you want. I've already made my decision.

Arbitrageur

Activity: 556
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 09:33:56 AM

DVC has a great potential. I show you why.

A coin must have:

- a good name -> ok
- liquidity -> ok
- a good (and possibily unique) purpose -> ok
- a low transaction cost -> ok (it's merge mined)
- a community -> ok
- high mining hashrate -> ok
- popularity - ko
- philanthropic projects - ko
- investors - ko
- marketing - ko

The problem is not the number of coins. Bitcoin Community is planning to use bits (1BTC=1,000,000bits). This will 'create' ~ 14,000,000*1,000,000= 14,000,000,000,000.
DVC will get the same number of coins in 14,000,000,000,000/2,400,000,000 = 5833 years

The problem is simple: despite DVC is very cheap in transaction since rides on BTC's back, it has zero real marketing. The reason? It's not really the coin for people. I mean, the way coins are distributed must eradically change.
First you need a partner (a big one) already able to distribute coins to philanthropic organisations. In order to receive more these no profit organizations will have to:
- advertise the coin in public events;
- exchange the coin (the partner will monitor this on its payment processor);
- update their payment / donation systems;
- among their projects, they must promote and support at least one kind of art/skill/sport;
- have a logo in every reality.

With this model you will have the task to oversee the process, without the need to check on every piece of artistic production. You will have more time to develop a strong marketing.
At that point the partner will look like a benefactor, plus it will receive a share for handling the distribution, having a coin with very low transaction fee, lower than that fart of Dogecoin.
Steve Jobs was a visionary. We should try to imitate him.

this was a good post, will someone finally move their arse and do something? where's unthinkingbit? anyone able to get hold of him?
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 11:46:09 AM

The centralization of creating the csv payouts are what has held it back aswell as supply too high when demand is low.. I've tried to remedy both things with proposals when price was higher but was shot down in a vote by community.. So I can't say I didn't try. I believ you fix these things using prediction markets etc and maybe u can fix devcoin but I thing now other coins do what devcoin does but are better.

Utb stepped aside for hunterbunter and things really haven't been same since.. He still does round updates that's it.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 12:20:21 AM

The centralization of creating the csv payouts are what has held it back aswell as supply too high when demand is low.. I've tried to remedy both things with proposals when price was higher but was shot down in a vote by community.. So I can't say I didn't try. I believ you fix these things using prediction markets etc and maybe u can fix devcoin but I thing now other coins do what devcoin does but are better.

Utb stepped aside for hunterbunter and things really haven't been same since.. He still does round updates that's it.

Yeah, it's been 9 days since I tried to get a hold of UTB. No luck. Usually he only gets in touch when a round ends (so every 4-5 weeks). That's just not viable.

wiser
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 04:38:51 AM

So HunterBunter is now in charge?
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 05:01:59 AM

What it means is that he's not actively controlling it. If it takes us 1 week to a month to get a hold of him for problems, that's way too long. I had an issue before with a user and it took him almost 5 weeks to get back to me. You can't run a project when someone only shows up once a month for a quick period and then disappears for another month. Issues are then left for up to a month at a time. i.e., you want to add a new user? You can't do it for over a month because he'll show up AFTER the previous month's receivers are generated, and THEN he'll respond (and maybe add them). In other words, it takes new users as many as 2 months to be added. Most people aren't going to want to wait 1/6 of a year just to be added, and then another 1/6 of a year to actually receive anything.

There are many other issues with the system now as well, but this whole "wait a month until I return and I'll respond" thing isn't viable for a project.

OK, I see what you're saying. I didn't notice previous long absences because, well, I wasn't around either, except I always dealt with PMs related to my admin duties.

I'm not sure that there's much of anything to decide. Devcoins are fairly easy to earn; there's nothing lost to continue to earn them like that. But, to heavily invest a lot of time or resources into them may not be such a good choice right now.

I see that Devcoin has a unique proposition--to reward open source development--and in the beginning went about it in a very ingenious way (and the whole receiver lines thing is really ingenious). But it suffers from being among the first. There's a lot about it that's clunky and hard to work with, and there's way too much supply that's constantly growing at a rate of 180,000,000 a month with very little to absorb it. Like with a lot of coins, supply has outpaced fruitful development of any kind of meaningful economy that could create demand. Lots of alts suffer from this issue but it's especially a big deal with Devcoin because of the constant and infinite increase in supply by 180M each and every months. It's possible Devcoin could make a comeback. But I suspect it won't, simply because since Devcoin began technology has developed to the point where there are lots of better ways to accomplish Devcoin's mission, but Devcoin's already hard coded. It's the pioneer problem. They say, you know how you can tell the pioneers? They're the ones with all the arrows sticking into their back. Devcoin was a pioneer, and a darned good one too. And it will continue to help people out, especially writers. But... I think it has been and will continue to be, outcompeted by better newer altcoins. It doesn't help when the original developer burns out and the new dev may not have quite the same vision or drive. That's another issue lots of altcoins have... being too dependent on one person with no clear way to cross train or pass the torch. That dev invariably burns out and disappears (gradually at first), and then the coin's value plummets and nothing further happens, even when a new dev supposedly steps up. UTB stuck it out for a very long time, but I suppose he's had enough. He did delegate a lot of stuff, but it seems not quite enough. Having one person responsible for too much isn't sustainable in the long term.
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 01:51:17 AM

I haven't been checking lately, but what about Hunterbunter?  I thought he was in charge.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 07:12:17 AM

I'm not sure that there's much of anything to decide. Devcoins are fairly easy to earn; there's nothing lost to continue to earn them like that. But, to heavily invest a lot of time or resources into them may not be such a good choice right now.

They're not "fairly easy to earn" when you've been contributing for 2+ months and have gotten nothing since you were, for some reason, removed from all of the payout lists. This is the part that bothers me. Basically, the work I've been doing has just been getting other people higher payouts.

Arbitrageur

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 08:22:51 AM

so let's find hunterbunter. also, anyway devcoin inflation can be reduced? periodic halving like bitcoin would be definitely needed here. maybe every 2 years starting from like... now!!
clipman77
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 08:25:47 AM

so let's find hunterbunter. also, anyway devcoin inflation can be reduced? periodic halving like bitcoin would be definitely needed here. maybe every 2 years starting from like... now!!

I do not think of it that it will come.
Arbitrageur

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 01:06:24 PM

even with the devs under hibernation the price is slowly going up, I'm impressed. are they secretly buying from their freeze cell before announcing a comeback? usually that's the way devs make money: promise amazing things, pump the price and sell the coins, once the are done, disappoint the buyers, undergo hibernation, buy the lows, make a comeback, new promises again, pump up the price, sell to the gullible public... rinse and repeat.
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 07:54:46 PM

even with the devs under hibernation the price is slowly going up, I'm impressed. are they secretly buying from their freeze cell before announcing a comeback? usually that's the way devs make money: promise amazing things, pump the price and sell the coins, once the are done, disappoint the buyers, undergo hibernation, buy the lows, make a comeback, new promises again, pump up the price, sell to the gullible public... rinse and repeat.
there are no devs lol
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 04:52:17 AM

They're not "fairly easy to earn" when you've been contributing for 2+ months and have gotten nothing since you were, for some reason, removed from all of the payout lists. This is the part that bothers me. Basically, the work I've been doing has just been getting other people higher payouts.

They're easy to earn by writing content. That's how most of us got started. But yes, that falls apart if the work we do doesn't trigger the expected payout. As far as I can tell there's nothing wrong with the script that pays for writing. The script to pay admins needs some work.

And I'll echo the sentiment that has been hinted at here, which is that whoever the Devcoin developers are now, can you please "stand up?" I realize devs have better things to do than spend a lot of time on forums, but... a brief update post once or twice a week goes a long way.
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 02:49:15 PM

They're easy to earn by writing content. That's how most of us got started. But yes, that falls apart if the work we do doesn't trigger the expected payout. As far as I can tell there's nothing wrong with the script that pays for writing. The script to pay admins needs some work.

And I'll echo the sentiment that has been hinted at here, which is that whoever the Devcoin developers are now, can you please "stand up?" I realize devs have better things to do than spend a lot of time on forums, but... a brief update post once or twice a week goes a long way.
You have been with devcoin for months and u still don't remember the one and only dev it had for over 2 years? I made a post a few pages back.. I hope that gives closure. If another dev wants to can contact me so I can set him up.
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 04:03:16 AM

You have been with devcoin for months and u still don't remember the one and only dev it had for over 2 years? I made a post a few pages back.. I hope that gives closure. If another dev wants to can contact me so I can set him up.

If you had asked me this a week ago I would have said Unthinkingbit. But there's been some talk here that UTB has stepped down or passed the torch to someone else. HunterBunter's name has been thrown around as the current lead dev, but I haven't seen him confirm it himself.

So yes, despite how long I've been around with Devcoin, I am currently not sure who the current lead developer is. If you happen to know, then please say who it is. Thanks.
weisoq

Activity: 720

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 08:52:59 AM

Hunterbunter's role and proposed changes were made clear months ago by him and by UTB. He put quite a bit of time into information and suggestions, and there were comments by people posting recently claiming not to know.

Sidhujag, myself and others proposed changes to alter the dynamics and avoid reaching an inevitable stasis. Many put a lot of effort into various working aspects with their own constructive opinions. They were dismissed by the few, largely out of economic ignorance and personal greed. Hopefully recent changes and renewed input by HB, Nova and others can turn things around, and personally I don't have a lot of time for admins, recipients and writers who take little interest beyond their own benefit or input, then moan about it.

The simple ethos of Devcoin is something beyond easy gain or skewed monetary advantage of a pyramid like most cryptos. Making it a success requires adhering to that ethos of community involvement and thinking further forward than the latest receiver file.
Pages: « 1 ... 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 [314] 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: