Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:19:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 [241] 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 ... 338 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ActiveMining] The Official Active Mining Discussion Thread  (Read 479234 times)
N_S

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 06:16:03 PM

I'd just like to have an estimated date about when the NDA should end

ffssixtynine was saying that the advisory board has made Ken very well aware of the shareholder desire to get the NDA behind us. I'm confident that everything in ActM's power is being done to do that - no reason to think otherwise.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Pompobit

Activity: 736
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 06:27:22 PM

ffssixtynine was saying that the advisory board has made Ken very well aware of the shareholder desire to get the NDA behind us. I'm confident that everything in ActM's power is being done to do that - no reason to think otherwise.

I'm not thinking otherwise and I'm confident about it, but still I'd like to know about when we could breach in the NDA... Days? Weeks? Months?
Stuartuk

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 06:27:58 PM

Apples and oranges. Would you buy a miner at half the price of another one if it mined 75% of the same coins? The answer is yes. Would you buy the miner if it was 25% the cost of the other and it mined 70% of the coins?

We are in real no-brainer territory which is why these guys don't get it. I wonder why they are even here? mmmm
Stuartuk

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 06:43:39 PM

Oh OK, so that means you agree with the ACtM strategy to produce a 'sub-optimal' chip in a fast turn-around process that gives huge cost advantage and bulk manufacturing capacity in market that is time critical and with purchasers deciding on profit over outlay not theoretical chip spec? I think we can leave that there then.
karsy

Activity: 383

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 06:47:32 PM

Oh OK, so that means you agree with the ACtM strategy to produce a 'sub-optimal' chip in a fast turn-around process that gives huge cost advantage and bulk manufacturing capacity in market that is time critical and with purchasers deciding on profit over outlay not theoretical chip spec? I think we can leave that there then.
I think this possibly actually can give them the 28nm before everyone else.

navitatl

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 06:49:12 PM

I dug this post up because it's relevant to some of the questions people have on here right now. Some very solid technical info from VBS.

Updated the original post with the shares purchased from the wall, doesn't cover 24 hours, more like 20, so I added times of when I dumped into Excel.  These are for BTCT only, as far as I can tell by searching through the trade history, no shares have been purchased from that wall since 7/9 and only 800 shares fell in that day.

Vbs I read your post and it really made me think when you spoke of delays.  

Typical design criteria include NRE, time to market, power consumption, performance, and unit cost.  eASIC offers structured ASICs to address the problem of production times and volume.  Some designers, say KNC, prefer to prototype FPGA first and then take these designs to structured ASIC, and this is where delays can come into play along with increased cost.  The fab time using the straight to structured ASIC is decreased, the NRE and unit cost are of the most efficient.   eASIC's Nextreme and Nextreme-2 families of structured ASICs allows Ken to design directly with these families, both of which have much shorter design times and much lower NREs

ActiveMining's ace in the sleeve is the optimized RTL code (Xilinx) Ken has been developing for the last year on fpga. This is what allows for getting so many mining cores per chip (20), all processing hashes in parallel. The great thing about eASIC is that his RTL can be quickly integrated into a structured ASIC that uses their eCell division.

There are three great things about their process: (1) all their wafers are the same, for ANY kind of chip, since only the metal layer (Via4 Lithography) is customized for each project, so they can keep pumping out generic wafers to be used by all their customers, (2) since the logic layers (eCells) are generic, they can use an e-beam machine to process the metal layers in a low-volume process, even on just ONE chip, so ActM can get their hands on prototype chips very very fast and (3) they have an easicopy process that can even deliver faster, less power hungry and cheaper chips.

Bottom line: ActiveMining is just the right "guy", at the right place, at the right time. Once the NRE is paid, the game will change, and it won't be pretty to anyone that is not already developing at least a 28nm chip with similar performance/cost numbers.
somestranger

Activity: 487
Merit: 500

Are You Shpongled?

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 07:23:18 PM

I think this possibly actually can give them the 28nm before everyone else.
Exactly. It is unimportant whether we have the best 28nm chip when we start production. We will wipe the floor with companies that are at 65-130nm now or in the near future. Then once we reach significant volume on our chips we can use the "eASICopy" process to create a cell-based ASIC with better performance and then we have both cost effectiveness and performance to rival our 28nm competitors.
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 07:27:12 PM

I dug this post up because it's relevant to some of the questions people have on here right now. Some very solid technical info from VBS.

Updated the original post with the shares purchased from the wall, doesn't cover 24 hours, more like 20, so I added times of when I dumped into Excel.  These are for BTCT only, as far as I can tell by searching through the trade history, no shares have been purchased from that wall since 7/9 and only 800 shares fell in that day.

Vbs I read your post and it really made me think when you spoke of delays.  

Typical design criteria include NRE, time to market, power consumption, performance, and unit cost.  eASIC offers structured ASICs to address the problem of production times and volume.  Some designers, say KNC, prefer to prototype FPGA first and then take these designs to structured ASIC, and this is where delays can come into play along with increased cost.  The fab time using the straight to structured ASIC is decreased, the NRE and unit cost are of the most efficient.   eASIC's Nextreme and Nextreme-2 families of structured ASICs allows Ken to design directly with these families, both of which have much shorter design times and much lower NREs

ActiveMining's ace in the sleeve is the optimized RTL code (Xilinx) Ken has been developing for the last year on fpga. This is what allows for getting so many mining cores per chip (20), all processing hashes in parallel. The great thing about eASIC is that his RTL can be quickly integrated into a structured ASIC that uses their eCell division.

There are three great things about their process: (1) all their wafers are the same, for ANY kind of chip, since only the metal layer (Via4 Lithography) is customized for each project, so they can keep pumping out generic wafers to be used by all their customers, (2) since the logic layers (eCells) are generic, they can use an e-beam machine to process the metal layers in a low-volume process, even on just ONE chip, so ActM can get their hands on prototype chips very very fast and (3) they have an easicopy process that can even deliver faster, less power hungry and cheaper chips.

Bottom line: ActiveMining is just the right "guy", at the right place, at the right time. Once the NRE is paid, the game will change, and it won't be pretty to anyone that is not already developing at least a 28nm chip with similar performance/cost numbers.

Um, no, because as I and others have pointed out: That method of development results in slower, much larger chips that won't be cost competitive with the likes of KnC or HashFast/Cointerra.

somestranger

Activity: 487
Merit: 500

Are You Shpongled?

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 07:31:35 PM

Quote from: Vbs

Um, no, because as I and others have pointed out: That method of development results in slower, much larger chips that won't be cost competitive with the likes of KnC or HashFast/Cointerra.
If you actually read carefully he did not say anything to the contrary.
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 07:51:19 PM

If you can fit 20 ActM chips inside a HashFast chip then you effectively have 400GH compared to their 400GH

Lulwut Cheesy

While I imagine it will only fit maybe 10 or so inside that same area being 1/2 as effective, ActM gets them at cost which means they can buy 7x the Chips for the same price as HashFast or any other company can sell them.

Meaning you will get 70Chips for the same price as 1

or 1400GH as the same price as 400.

It's pretty much a no brainer since ActM is mining for themselves and HashFast is not.

This is bordering on decent absurdist prose.  Your work is much bolder, of course -- completely disregarding logic and shedding all claims to coherency.  Though i'm afraid our public is yet unready for your bold and daring art, Bargraphics.  They simply refuse to sever their outmoded, borgeouse links to reality.
Give them time.

Are you saying that all chip sizes are the same? and that all Wafers are cut exactly the same? (This is a known fact to be false but I have to ask you anyways since this is what you are implying)

What are you talking about Huh  I think i see what you're getting at -- that Ken, in all of his wisdom, decided to go with tiny die size, thus yielding more chips from each wafer?
You understand that before these fancy bits of silicon become hashing miners, there are a bunch of *other* steps involved -- from packaging to expansive PC boards with enough real estate and associated parts to host these chips?  Yes, the silicon costs may be comparable, but the associated costs are not.  If you want to build a crotch rocket, don't start with a truckload of lawnmower motors Cheesy  
ffssixtynine

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 07:52:38 PM

Ok so you're saying that Cointerra/HashFast and KNC are better alternatives. But I really don't want to buy miner to do it solo and i'm also wary of the group buys. Is there an IPO at one of these 3? We all know that solo miners take the short end no matter how "advanced" their chips are, especially if you're not "first in the line".

What is the better alternative than ACTM?

Please take this to the Speculation thread.

(yes I'm going to keep reminding people)
crumbs

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 07:54:34 PM

Ok so you're saying that Cointerra/HashFast and KNC are better alternatives. But I really don't want to buy miner to do it solo and i'm also wary of the group buys. Is there an IPO at one of these 3? We all know that solo miners take the short end no matter how "advanced" their chips are, especially if you're not "first in the line".

Bitfury?  Just about anyone *but* Active Miner.
N_S

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 07:58:27 PM

Serious answer.
How about nothing?

By the way, I still think BFL is more likely 28 nm to ship than Active Miner, all the while having much better chips.

You and crumbs are simply adorable Smiley
crumbs

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 08:12:19 PM

If you can fit 20 ActM chips inside a HashFast chip then you effectively have 400GH compared to their 400GH

Lulwut Cheesy

While I imagine it will only fit maybe 10 or so inside that same area being 1/2 as effective, ActM gets them at cost which means they can buy 7x the Chips for the same price as HashFast or any other company can sell them.

Meaning you will get 70Chips for the same price as 1

or 1400GH as the same price as 400.

It's pretty much a no brainer since ActM is mining for themselves and HashFast is not.

This is bordering on decent absurdist prose.  Your work is much bolder, of course -- completely disregarding logic and shedding all claims to coherency.  Though i'm afraid our public is yet unready for your bold and daring art, Bargraphics.  They simply refuse to sever their outmoded, borgeouse links to reality.
Give them time.

Are you saying that all chip sizes are the same? and that all Wafers are cut exactly the same? (This is a known fact to be false but I have to ask you anyways since this is what you are implying)

What are you talking about Huh  I think i see what you're getting at -- that Ken, in all of his wisdom, decided to go with tiny die size, thus yielding more chips from each wafer?
You understand that before these fancy bits of silicon become hashing miners, there are a bunch of *other* steps involved -- from packaging to expansive PC boards with enough real estate and associated parts to host these chips?  Yes, the silicon costs may be comparable, but the associated costs are not.  If you want to build a crotch rocket, don't start with a truckload of lawnmower motors Cheesy  

Actually the other steps are not very costly or time consuming like you would make them out to be.

It's also easier to cool a bunch of small chips vs one large.

Ridiculous.  Assuming zero markup, what percentage of Avalon's price is the chips?  Answer: a *small* percentage.  Most of the chip cost is not production costs, but R&D&toolup.  
A well-engineered ASIC is virtually a finished product -- hook up the power, stick it on a bus & hash. One efficient heatsink (or waterblock) is way easier than trying to cool a forest of chips -- see silly 70s - style heatsinks on Avalons and BE blades. Seen anything like that outside of 70s gear?  Well, perhaps some dirt-cheap ghetto car audio...
Where are you getting your information, btw?

The costs are negligible right now and will remain that way until the Difficulty is in the Billions.  By then this would have been considered Gen 1 and there will likely have been a Gen 2 and maybe even Gen 3.

Yes, BOM costs are insignificant when you buy chips *retail*.  We're not talking retail here -- ken is mining his chips.  After the NRE, chip prices are negligible, too.  You already spent the NRE, so you don't care if you need to make 1000 or 100,000 -- the price difference is a fraction of the NRE.

I think you do not have a firm grasp on just how cheap it is to make these chips after the NRE is paid.

I think you're wrong once again.
crumbs

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 08:14:54 PM

You and crumbs are simply adorable Smiley

Are you the creepy guy that keeps begging me to "get in the van"?  How'ya doin'?
auto2nr1

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 08:18:40 PM

I would like to know when the NDA should end as well also how it will end. What needs to be taken care of prior to the NDA being lifted?
crumbs

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 08:20:33 PM

I would like to know when the NDA should end as well also how it will end. ...

From the way things look now, i'd say it will all end in tears.
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 08:22:22 PM

IDK, maybe a company that already has it's own chips in hand?

For the test run we opted for QFP packaging, 44 pin, no exposed heat pad, here is a small preview :

Stuartuk

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 08:28:32 PM

we should remember that crumbs and icebraker are one in the same and that he is waiting for his btc to be manually cleared from btc.co and so he's desperate to keep a lid on price. he will talk down ACtM until he gets his shares then he will back it until he wants to dump the shares. he has no interest in the company just the share price which is why he comes out with this miss-understood rubbish and is best ignored.
crumbs

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 08:37:13 PM

Yes, BOM costs are insignificant when you buy chips *retail*.  We're not talking retail here -- ken is mining his chips.  After the NRE, chip prices are negligible, too.  You already spent the NRE, so you don't care if you need to make 1000 or 100,000 -- the price difference is a fraction of the NRE.

So basically you agree with me that making your own chips will put you significantly ahead of anyone selling them (or buying at retail) when you are indeed mining with them.

Since you agree with that then you agree that AtcM is a good deal, yet you continue to lie to yourself.

You're just hooked on absurdism, aren't you?  May i suggest Daniil Kharms?
Back on topic:  
No, i do not think Active Mining is anything close to a good deal.

If Active Mining had solid management, solid PR, and had good chips & boards in production, it would be a good deal.

Active Mining has none of those things, therefore Active Mining is a BAD DEAL.

I hope i have made myself clear.
Pages: « 1 ... 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 [241] 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 ... 338 »
  Print  

Jump to: