Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:42:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... 291 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread  (Read 597301 times)
TribalBob

Activity: 1288
Merit: 257

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 02:47:01 PM

People having issues with guiminer... do you have guiminer running inside the client or separately? I have it running inside the client's Mining Console and it hasn't given me a problem yet.

So if you're running it outside, do this to run it in the Mining Console. Just make a copy of your guiminer folder, and put it into your AppData\Roaming\Gridcoin folder and make sure its named guiminer.

If you're running it inside the client and it's giving you problems, have you tried executing it separately? I know when Gridcoin starts up, it closes any instances of guiminer already running but I think if you open guiminer while Gridcoin is already running it should be fine.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the external miners because my external instance of cgminer is crashing every 10 - 15 minutes, I'm sure Rob will have it figured out in no time once he sees the thread.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 02:57:34 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2013, 05:16:12 PM by aigeezer

Do you have BOINC installed in the default location...? It sounds like your Gridcoin client is not communicating with the BOINC client.

Good eye! That will be it. Thanks.

Edit: Page 14 seems to be the one - settings needed for boincappfolder and boincdatafolder in the gridcoin.conf file https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=324118.msg3770250#msg3770250
aigeezer
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 03:16:01 PM

I know when Gridcoin starts up, it closes any instances of guiminer already running but I think if you open guiminer while Gridcoin is already running it should be fine.

That seems to be the same for cgminer also. Gridcoin will close other instances of cgminer both when it starts up and when you shut it down. It's annoying at first, but easily worked around by starting Gridcoin first, then the other instances of cgminer and by remembering to restart the other instances if you want them but have to shut down Gridcoin for some reason.

Low priority fix request?       Smiley

Gridcoin (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 05:03:36 PM

Anyone having trouble using guiminer or cgminer within gridcoin: for cgminer: disable the restartwallet with "restartwallet=0" in the config file, after gridcoin starts and cgminer starts click on Show CgMiner for each one and let it run.   I did reproduce the issue where gridcoin is closing cgminer; we will fix this asap.

If you are having problems with the integrated miner, review "scrypt mining litecoin" and then configure and run the miner outside of gridcoin; it is a good learning experience to understand how to scrypt mine.

Rob H.

Gridcoin: scientia humana libertas
COINPRADER

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:23:43 PM

I'm sure you checked, but is the sync issue related to pool mining?  This morning, my wallet stopped syncing after 6 hours, I restarted and no sync, I used the rebuild block chain and it did sync,  I mined for about an hour and started getting found blocks that were credited to me (I have been pool mining and I checked the getpoolmining mode and it was true).  First time the miner has given me the coins after a sync issue.  Of course they disappeared after yet another resync.  But it got me to thinking that no one else has implemented an in client pool miner (that I know of) so maybe...
Anyway - great work on the coin.  Love the concept!  It even got me to get BOINC going after a year hiatus.  I even joined the gridcoin team at world community grid!

FYI
I have the latest version (v1.1.4.3-g71-prod)
I use GUIminer inside the client - I have never been able to get CG miner to work with my system (repeated tries with different coins)

Add some science to your mining!  GRIDCOIN
aigeezer
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 06:07:15 PM

I am trying to understand the BOINC projects panel in the client display. It seems to come preloaded with the names of five projects, a couple of which I sometimes use but have not been accepting tasks from in recent months. The WCG is not among them, and it happens to be the project I spend all my BOINC time on recently. Anyway, is this list customizable, and if so are there instructions for it somewhere that I have overlooked?

Please forgive my bumping this part of my earlier post. I'm still trying to make sense of the BOINC projects panel. I've found old tutorials, but they only show how to set up new BOINC project accounts (assuming that users are new to BOINC) and they refer only to project names hard-coded in the panel.

My situation differs somewhat. I've been using BOINC through BAM since 2009 and my projects were in place before I set up Gridcoin. I've found advice to add projects to the project panel but I've not found a way to do it. Also, the information I've seen advises replacing project IDs at each individual BOINC project home page with a Gridcoin payout addy. This seems onerous and would negate the advantage of dealing with BOINC projects through BAM. Does it really have to be like that or am I finding outdated advice?

In summary:

Is it necessary to use the project panel at all to mine Gridcoin and get credit for BOINC activity?

If so, is there an up-to-date tutorial link, especially one that shows how to enter pre-existing BOINC project data?

Is it really a requirement to enter a Gridcoin payout ID on each relevant BOINC project's home page? If so, explanation might make it a more palatable requirement.

Thanks - I'm getting there - I'm in the top 1% of BOINC users so I'd really like to help the Gridcoin effort.            Smiley
A L I E N
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 06:19:14 PM

I am trying to understand the BOINC projects panel in the client display. It seems to come preloaded with the names of five projects, a couple of which I sometimes use but have not been accepting tasks from in recent months. The WCG is not among them, and it happens to be the project I spend all my BOINC time on recently. Anyway, is this list customizable, and if so are there instructions for it somewhere that I have overlooked?

In summary:

Is it necessary to use the project panel at all to mine Gridcoin and get credit for BOINC activity?

If so, is there an up-to-date tutorial link, especially one that shows how to enter pre-existing BOINC project data?

Is it really a requirement to enter a Gridcoin payout ID on each relevant BOINC project's home page? If so, explanation might make it a more palatable requirement.

Thanks - I'm getting there - I'm in the top 1% of BOINC users so I'd really like to help the Gridcoin effort.            Smiley

If it helps, I have never used the project panel in the wallet and things have worked correctly.  Have you mined a block yet? If so, are you getting a payout above 5 GRC?
Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 06:25:44 PM

Hey Everyone,
I'm not able to respond yet to the other posts, but I did reproduce the guiminer issue and the cgminer issue; we haven't changed it to not close cgminer during an exit yet; but a major bug was discovered
where we were closing guiminer and cgminer during certain periods when the window handle lost focus; completely causing problems; I just put out an emergency fix for that issue; just type

UPGRADE

from the RPC console; it appears to be fixed....

Good luck,
Rob H.

asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 07:14:32 PM

is there any chance that cryptsy or something like that will add gridcoin on his market?

autoquote Smiley
Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 07:41:04 PM

is there any chance that cryptsy or something like that will add gridcoin on his market?

Have not heard from cryptsy yet (we were hoping to solve the syncing problems first; on that note, we haven't tested the newest version for a full day yet so let's hope this latest version solved it)
BUT, I did receive an e-mail this morning from https://www.coins-e.com/ saying they are considering us for their exchange!

Rob H.

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 07:42:25 PM

Hey Everyone,
I'm not able to respond yet to the other posts, but I did reproduce the guiminer issue and the cgminer issue; we haven't changed it to not close cgminer during an exit yet; but a major bug was discovered
where we were closing guiminer and cgminer during certain periods when the window handle lost focus; completely causing problems; I just put out an emergency fix for that issue; just type

UPGRADE

from the RPC console; it appears to be fixed....

Good luck,
Rob H.

One other piece of info: I've been testing this new version for the last hour and mining seems to be working properly again; and also, TribalBob I think this fixes the sluggishness problem you experienced; that was related to the same issue (API talking to dead sockets causing a sluggishness in the UI).

Another known bug we'll be fixing ASAP:  If you make changes to the CgMiner configuration using gridcoin and press save, you have to re-export the settings with "Create New Instance" over again; we'll have to fix that; and you have to do it twice (the first time it closes cgminer - returns an error; second time works; redicules; will fix asap).  Just push it twice if you do that for now.

Rob H.

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 07:52:02 PM

Make sure to join Team Gridcoin @ the world community grid. http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=BBNGDQS832

You can join directly from Boinc too.

We have already jumped a few thousand spots with all the recent influx of new people joining. The higher we go the better!

Join Today!
I just joined your team!

Rob H.

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 08:03:03 PM

DO people not realize that all of these coins are just used to get the makers more btc? Pretty soon there is going to be so many that it's going to crash the internet with millions of blockchains. This is how it goes I make new coin get about 500 million of them get some people to start mining get it up on an exchange sell all my coins for btc and make a nice profit in a few months when I have traded all my coins I will abandon my purpose for making the coin as the purpose will be fulfilled. I understand the reasoning behind new coins because the difficulty has gotten so hi on the ones that are worth anything people are desperately hoping a new coin will give them the chance at what they missed out on that's why I went to Betacoin 11gh doesn't get you much with btc so I thought I would give another one a chance.
1) The coin wont support itself in the long term if it is not useful.  The exchange rate will eventually drop to zero and they will be removed; look at all the dead coins in the graveyard right now.  
So no one will keep paying for internet resources for something that is dead.
2) I don't think you can create a coin and fool people into buying it on an exchange if its not useful.  DOGEcoin is hugely popular because its novel for pet owners, but look at the exchange rate?  1 billion dogecoins for a bitcoin?  I don't think the Portland programmer is getting rich.  Besides if it gets pumped and dumped there will be no market to sell the coins for any bitcoins; this is baloney.
3) Gridcoin is in a different class than copy & paste altcoins.  The point is all these heat generating devices already exist; if we can put them to use for humanitarian causes and at the same time fight inflation, replace western union money transfer, and provide payment services for web sites then Gridcoin will be more useful than the average coin.  

Eventually the exchanges are going to dump useless coins and keep the top coins, and were going for one of the top 5.

One more thing, cryptographically speaking, we're going to add new features to store relational data in a new format that contains embedded PoW in the actual records so we can store anything in gridcoin.

Rob H.

aigeezer
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:09:30 PM

In summary:

If it helps, I have never used the project panel in the wallet and things have worked correctly.  Have you mined a block yet? If so, are you getting a payout above 5 GRC?

Thanks, that's encouraging to see. No, I haven't mined a block yet so I'll keep watching. I got the Gridcoin/BOINC clients talking to each other on TribalBob's advice but that was just a couple of hours ago and then we got an hour-long power outage - big ice storm going on here - so I'll watch and wait for another day or so. My client display now says BOINC utilization 100, which seems promising.

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 08:09:55 PM

I installed the new version about 12 hours ago and it seems to be working normally. It shows only one active connection to the network now, which seems a bit, um, sparse. It reports 36141 blocks of history and updates regularly.

Also - the display shows BOINC utilization 50, thread count 6 (sometimes 7) and average daily credits zero, which I think I understand from reading previous posts here. It also shows BOINC MD5 as MD5Error and BOINC Khps as zero, which I don't understand. After about one day of running, the wallet balances are zero - from other posts I got the impression it might have found a block or three at this early stage. I'm not sure whether to look for errors or just wait a while.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Hi AiGeezer,
The projects page is temporarily shelved until we know the syncing is over with and the small bugs are fixed.  You can add projects to boinc and receive avg_daily credits for any project; the idea behind the projects page is to bring cpu-only miners in and participate in gridcoin without a gpu; it opens up a lot of issues one being that GPU miners have to provide PoW info in the chain on a regular basis; and its a little too much to support at this stage; but still a viable idea.  One user will supposedly receive 150grc per day doing the cpu mining...  The feature is written but not ready to be turned on due to changes in the block payout structure ( a risk).

Rob H.

aigeezer
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:13:03 PM

I installed the new version about 12 hours ago and it seems to be working normally. It shows only one active connection to the network now, which seems a bit, um, sparse. It reports 36141 blocks of history and updates regularly.

Also - the display shows BOINC utilization 50, thread count 6 (sometimes 7) and average daily credits zero, which I think I understand from reading previous posts here. It also shows BOINC MD5 as MD5Error and BOINC Khps as zero, which I don't understand. After about one day of running, the wallet balances are zero - from other posts I got the impression it might have found a block or three at this early stage. I'm not sure whether to look for errors or just wait a while.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Hi AiGeezer,
The projects page is temporarily shelved until we know the syncing is over with and the small bugs are fixed.  You can add projects to boinc and receive avg_daily credits for any project; the idea behind the projects page is to bring cpu-only miners in and participate in gridcoin without a gpu; it opens up a lot of issues one being that GPU miners have to provide PoW info in the chain on a regular basis; and its a little too much to support at this stage; but still a viable idea.  One user will supposedly receive 150grc per day doing the cpu mining...  The feature is written but not ready to be turned on due to changes in the block payout structure ( a risk).

Rob H.

Ah so - that explains why I could only find tutorials about the projects page in the context of CPU mining. I thought I was overlooking something. Good luck with the feature in any case. Super concepts here.
Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 08:17:10 PM

I'm sure you checked, but is the sync issue related to pool mining?  This morning, my wallet stopped syncing after 6 hours, I restarted and no sync, I used the rebuild block chain and it did sync,  I mined for about an hour and started getting found blocks that were credited to me (I have been pool mining and I checked the getpoolmining mode and it was true).  First time the miner has given me the coins after a sync issue.  Of course they disappeared after yet another resync.  But it got me to thinking that no one else has implemented an in client pool miner (that I know of) so maybe...
Anyway - great work on the coin.  Love the concept!  It even got me to get BOINC going after a year hiatus.  I even joined the gridcoin team at world community grid!

FYI
I have the latest version (v1.1.4.3-g71-prod)
I use GUIminer inside the client - I have never been able to get CG miner to work with my system (repeated tries with different coins)

CoinPrader,
Great glad you are getting close.  There are about 33 pool miners and I haven't heard this specific problem; I have a fear that if a pool miner creates a stale block, something strange might be happening.  Can you do me a favor--- keep testing with the newest version as some things have been fixed that happen after you mine a block that may change the behavior.  Tell me if you fail to sync now in pool mining mode after finding blocks; ensure restartwallet=0 so you can tell; if it happens, PM me the end of the debug log.

Also, why don't you give the new cgminer version a try, it would be interesting to know if the defaults work for you.  I set them up for 4 machines today and all are working with 3 types of cards.

Rob H.

asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:24:26 PM

Have not heard from cryptsy yet (we were hoping to solve the syncing problems first; on that note, we haven't tested the newest version for a full day yet so let's hope this latest version solved it)
BUT, I did receive an e-mail this morning from https://www.coins-e.com/ saying they are considering us for their exchange!

Rob H.

wonderfull!
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:38:32 PM

That is very good news.

Rob H.

wonderfull!
zulzedd

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 09:39:27 PM

That is very good news.

Rob H.

wonderfull!
Excellent!

Aeron 1.250.000 CryptoBonusMiles Giveaway, 250 Winners, 5.000 CryptoBonusMiles per winner and guaranteed airdrop for ARN holders until 30.11.2018.
Follow the link to join Giveaway 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... 291 »
  Print  

Jump to: