Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:01:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 [1166] 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761529 times)
pinarello

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

NXT is the future

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 06:00:56 AM

Bingo. A writer from Bloomberg wants to talk about Nxt (along with Peercoin). Constant emails, they eventually pay off.

were s the info coming from ?

As I always have said someone shall have to step up the plate, and it better be someone who knows what he is talking about.(so I am out Grin)

We have all asked for this, now it is there we have no one to attend technical discussions.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bithic

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 06:16:04 AM

**** Bitcoin Conference Miami Questions ****

Hey guys, if you see a post from either myself or Kattywampus over the next 72 hours, please make an effort to address any questions ASAP. As meetings come up or summaries needed for projects, we'll kick them here and the Nextcoin forum. The more responsive the community is during the conference, the better the results.

Sure.

Btw, do you know is there someone going to take part in Let's Talk Bitcoin?

I'm pretty sure no one is, although NiftyNikel said he'd be willing to help field questions if he has help from a developer. At this stage the best we can do is for those with the knowledge to send him point-form notes on key topics of interest.

Who has been communicating with the Let's Talk Bitcoin organizers? Have they been informed of our status?
PeercoinEnthusiast

Activity: 126

JustabitofTime - Co-Founder of CoinTropolis

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 06:21:12 AM

Hey guys, if you see a post from either myself or Kattywampus over the next 72 hours, please make an effort to address any questions ASAP. As meetings come up or summaries needed for projects, we'll kick them here and the Nextcoin forum. The more responsive the community is during the conference, the better the results.

I am writing some materials for you, is still a time?

It's midnight here, Nifty and I are still getting ready for the conference. Please kick anything his way.

** Update **

Thank you Salsacz for sending Nikel NxtMyths paper.

JustaBitofTime - Co-Founder of CoinTropolis - Currently assisting Nxt
bithic

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 06:22:29 AM

It's midnight here, Nifty and I are still getting ready for the conference. Please kick anything his way.

Perhaps those who have been working on the collaborative white paper can send him a few digestible key points.
PeercoinEnthusiast

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 06:25:14 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2014, 06:47:32 AM by PeercoinEnthusiast

1. Is this fully operational?  ** Resolved **

"Cubietruck/Rasberry Pi ran by solar panel"

2. Did anyone contact Adam from LTB concerning having a community member (as opposed to someone that's dug into the code) on the panel? ** Resolved **

We are swamped over here trying to keep our heads above water getting ready. Any assistance is always appreciated.

salsacz

Activity: 490
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 06:26:10 AM

sent. here it is 7 AM so I finally go to sleep Cheesy
PeercoinEnthusiast

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 06:26:40 AM

sent. here it is 7 AM so I finally go to sleep Cheesy

Received, reviewing now... thank you!

Zahlen

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 06:28:33 AM

Let's not forget about this folks!

Anyone able to help NiftyNikel out? This is a pretty critical opportunity for the public perception of Nxt. I think it's highly worth a developer taking a break for a day or two... or someone who is generally knowledgeable about Nxt. Maybe even just to identify key topics and write out some point-form notes for Nifty.

In the interest of expediency, I think writing out some key aspects would be the most attainable.
It's only one day away.

Let's focus on what we can get done asap instead of pouring energy in getting someone to go and having no one at the end.

Thís can be done more easily and will also help.

I'm free today and through the weekend. I don't have as much technical knowledge as the devs, but I can write up summaries of the wiki articles, and anything else folks request.

I've created a wiki page hub for this: http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/wiki/Miami:Main (Also accessible from the link at the bottom of the wiki home page). Will fill out the articles linked to from there. Feel free to join in everyone, nxtwiki is the free reference resource that any nxter can edit! If you want to request material to be added, just edit that page directly to tell everyone.

(Technical note: I'm using the "Miami:" namespace for these summary articles, to avoid conflicts with the regular wiki articles. If you know what that means, would appreciate it if folks add new articles geared towards the conference under that namespace too. If you don't know what that means, don't worry, go ahead and edit anyways. It's a wiki, we can always clean things up  Wink. Also, don't worry about translations.)

My timezone is about half a day away though, so I probably won't be able to respond in real time to conference proceedings.

dzarmush
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 06:28:50 AM

** Update **

Thank you Salsacz for sending Nikel NxtMyths paper.

I'm pretty sure there won't be any difficult tech questions. After all LTB guys want interesting show. They won't be asking questions about cryptography, algo etc.

dzarmush
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 06:30:30 AM

1. Is this fully operational?
2. Did anyone contact Adam from LTB concerning having a community member (as opposed to someone that's dug into the code) on the panel?
We are swamped over here trying to keep our heads above water getting ready. Any assistance is always appreciated.

Anon spoke with Adam.

PeercoinEnthusiast

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 06:37:39 AM

Let's not forget about this folks!

Anyone able to help NiftyNikel out? This is a pretty critical opportunity for the public perception of Nxt. I think it's highly worth a developer taking a break for a day or two... or someone who is generally knowledgeable about Nxt. Maybe even just to identify key topics and write out some point-form notes for Nifty.

In the interest of expediency, I think writing out some key aspects would be the most attainable.
It's only one day away.

Let's focus on what we can get done asap instead of pouring energy in getting someone to go and having no one at the end.

Thís can be done more easily and will also help.

I'm free today and through the weekend. I don't have as much technical knowledge as the devs, but I can write up summaries of the wiki articles, and anything else folks request.

I've created a wiki page hub for this: http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/wiki/Miami:Main (Also accessible from the link at the bottom of the wiki home page). Will fill out the articles linked to from there. Feel free to join in everyone, nxtwiki is the free reference resource that any nxter can edit! If you want to request material to be added, just edit that page directly to tell everyone.

(Technical note: I'm using the "Miami:" namespace for these summary articles, to avoid conflicts with the regular wiki articles. If you know what that means, would appreciate it if folks add new articles geared towards the conference under that namespace too. If you don't know what that means, don't worry, go ahead and edit anyways. It's a wiki, we can always clean things up  Wink. Also, don't worry about translations.)

My timezone is about half a day away though, so I probably won't be able to respond in real time to conference proceedings.

Perfect, this would serve as a great central point of info for the conference.

bithic

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 06:42:22 AM

I don't know, but here is a post from NxtChoice where he says his Cubietruck (without solar panel) has been running well for the past 10 days, and gives some basic instructions for setting one up:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=345619.msg4666373#msg4666373

And here is a post from davethetrousers where he shows a picture of it "running automomously" with solar panel, with the only incoming cable being the ethernet cable:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=345619.msg4675599#msg4675599

I'd say that means it probably is fully operational.
PeercoinEnthusiast

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 06:45:42 AM

I just dropped Adam an email to get final clarification.

bithic

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 06:46:30 AM

This is the best picture of the Cubietruck/solar panel:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=345619.msg4666019#msg4666019
PeercoinEnthusiast

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 06:46:51 AM

I don't know, but here is a post from NxtChoice where he says his Cubietruck (without solar panel) has been running well for the past 10 days, and gives some basic instructions for setting one up:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=345619.msg4666373#msg4666373

And here is a post from davethetrousers where he shows a picture of it "running automomously" with solar panel, with the only incoming cable being the ethernet cable:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=345619.msg4675599#msg4675599

I'd say that means it probably is fully operational.

Perfect, thank you.

bithic

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 07:00:56 AM

More posts from davethetrousers about his Cubietruck w/ solar panel:

@NxtChoice: Better remove the protective screen from the case plates, so it actually becomes transparent Smiley

No, seriously, what kind of output such a tiny solar panel has? Especially on a cloudy day like in the picture.

What are you using it for?

It's a high-weight hallmark NXT node (raspnxt.hopto.org).

The panel has an output of 3-4W in direct sunlight. That'd be more than enough to run the cubie at full load with full core clock. However, below the panel (in the badass cardboard case I made Cheesy) is a 2Ah LiPoly that acts as a buffer. I also use external power from a USB hub now that it's winter, but in summer this should be capable of running autonomously with some more tweaks and lower clocks.

Not only is it operational, but it's running one of the top 20 nodes on the network:

BTW, you are looking at raspnxt.hopto.org, which is in the Top20 of nodes according to Peerexplorer Wink

What do you think about running android on it?
Which Linux would be the best to run on a cubietruck? (I have absolutely no experience with linux at all)

It came with Android preinstalled actually, but, I don't know... I see no point in using Android for anything else than what it's meant to do: to present one interactive application full screen. For the batch/daemon/server stuff I do with the cubie, a classical Linux seems more appropriate.

There are several attempts at providing an easy flash-and-run distro for the cubietruck, but most of them failed when I tried them out. The one that seems most compatible is Lubuntu, which I also use atm. Of course, one could also always compile a custom kernel and use whatever distro fits their needs.

l8orre
Legendary

Activity: 1181
Merit: 1018

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 07:06:07 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2014, 07:30:52 AM by l8orre

I have a question for our nxt GuiGurus here ..

I have the nxt api implementation for my nxTrader fairly well under control now, and I am working on the operations model of the client.

Please bear with my - I started late on this, only 1 week ago.

As I understand the nxt operations mode is as follows - please drop me a line if I have any misunderstandings there:

1 - information percolates through the network by the new blocks being generated (in rare cases they do not contain any transactions).

2 - when a new block is generated, it is broadcast through the network. the 'block' contains a bunch of metadata about itself, plus a payload. The payload is a list of transactions.

3 - a client is constantly on the lookout for new blocks. it does that by regularly polling an NRS server with the 'getState' query.
     the 'getSTate' query contains information about the network status, including the last block number. when that last block number changes from one poll to the next, that number will be the new block then.

4 - when that happens, the client has to 'getBlock' that new block, peel out the transactions therein, and analyze the transactions by type: 0,1,2 : transaction, messaging, coloredCoins, and subtypes. descritption of subtypes can be found with 'getConstants'.

5 - the client can do whatever it wants with the informaion about those transactions. it may disregard some, it displays different ones in different manners.

6 - the history of transactions is in the blockchain and transactions. also, the transactions for a specific account are always available via 'getAccountTransactionIds', so the client does not need to sift through    the whole history of the nxtNetwork every time it starts, it only needs to grab the transactions every time a new account number is entered.

Issue: I am (mostly) using a raspi to run my NRS. The raspi seems to have SIGNIFICANT problems to keep up with a polling freqency of even 1 second. I am using a QTimer - if I go to  something between 2 and 5 seconds, I don't have problem. But 1 second seems way too fast for the raspi, because it keeps returning only every 2 or three seconds (I have a clock that displays the time of return)

Questions:

1 - why does the raspi seem to have such problems with that?

2 - when I maintain that overload, i.e. query once per second: do the queries queue up and crash the raspi?

3 - this does not only concern the raspi: since I have a QTimer in my poll button, I can just as well query with  1 millisecond. If there is such an issue,  could I be able to bomb any NRS into oblivion with that?
    @CfB, Klee - would it make sense to test that on the testnet?

4 - oops - in addition to the post below- what exactly does the 'broadcastTransaction' do? if I 'sendMoney' , the transaction is sent into the network automatically, isn't it? so why (re?) - 'broadcastTransaction' ??

cheers,
l8orre

bithic

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 07:24:03 AM

Here's an explosive paragraph from Anon's excellent essay (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1E_ToOMG2l1XThx6YnyXEajXaf6H1k2yjq8XkAF0ScB4/mobilebasic?pli=1) that deserves to get some attention at Miami:

"In addition to solving some of the previously mentioned problems with proof of work, NXT also offers a number of potential advantages. While it is not possible to predict who will author the block 1440 blocks from now, it may be possible to predict, one, two or maybe even ten blocks into the future. What this means is that, if a merchant trusts the next six forgers in line to author the next 6 blocks (perhaps because they have a long standing reputation for honesty), then it is equivalent to the merchant as if this transaction has 6 instantaneous confirmations. What we are talking about here is the possibility of a decentralized crypto with instant transactions. No more waiting around for confirmations, as with Bitcoin. This is the first Holy Grail of NXT. Furthermore, you could, in theory, rather than broadcasting your transactions to the whole network, send them directly to the next block author. He could, in theory, clear your transactions with other market actors before recording them in the blockchain. So as an example, imagine that a shopper is paying Walmart 10 dollars and Walmart is paying a contractor 10 dollars during the same 1 minute period. Instead of recording both transactions in the blockchain, the block author could simply record it as the shopper having paid the contractor directly. If that contractor wants to then spend 10 dollars on a new pair of shoes in the same block, then the Walmart shopper’s 10 dollars could be paid directly to the shoe salesman. This could potentially allow NXT to match or even surpass Visa’s transaction load. This is the second Holy Grail."
bithic

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 07:29:46 AM

And Come-from-Beyond's paraphrase of BCNext's Transparent Forging description:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=364218.msg3888740#msg3888740
wing_hk

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 07:31:37 AM

I can manage any provider's VPS for you.  I was just giving instructions on how to proceed.  You can pick any VPS except Amazon.  I cant do those unless you pay for the $$$ one

Providing login info to strangers is unsafe. Any online instruction to setup node in own server?
Pages: « 1 ... 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 [1166] 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: