Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:25:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 [2065] 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761529 times)
salsacz

Activity: 490
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:15:10 PM

actually it is our mysterious donator, he still has 12 mega Smiley
http://87.230.14.1/nxt/nxt.cgi?action=3000&acc=10764010510447896395

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BrianNowhere

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 10:15:18 PM

ASSET EXCHANGE potential Bug

The AE has seemed pretty rock solid so far, been clicking all over doing every weird thing I can think of. seems very stable and robust so far and I haven't been able to break it yet or get it to produce any kind of out of the ordinary errors.

Not sure if this is a bug but I Issued an asset (OBAMACOIN) and made 300,000,000 of them at $3.50 each and put all of them them up for sale.

I then immediately went and put in a buy order for Obamacoin, which I figured would get rejected since I already hold them all.
However, The order went through and shows up in the Buy Order column where the coin is showcased but does not show up in "My Open Orders"
so now it's just kind of stuck there with no way to delete it. Whenever I go back to look at Obamacoin in the AE I see the order but there's no way to get rid of it.

UPDATE: Actually I just went and checked and now the buy order has disappeared completely so no longer a problem. However, should this order even have gone through to begin with? Wouldn't an alert immediately saying "You can't buy your own asset idiot" be better?

Also: AE is pretty amazing looking.  I like it better than Ripples' interface and it's much easier to issue assets in the NXT AE than it is in Ripple.

I don't know if this is the right way to report potential bugs for the AE so if I need to post this somewhere else let me know.

NXT: 4957831430947123625
CoinTropolis_JustaBitTime

Activity: 98

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:15:28 PM

** Yawn **

Reminder, please take a minute to vote for Nxt in the CryptoAve thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=502900.0

BrianNowhere

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 10:17:37 PM

Isnt that what we all want? Distribution is what it is. No amount of complaining will change that. However, anybody can step up and start doing useful stuff and get rewarded. Anybody. Even a simple C programmer like me.

James

I am not a developer. I am just a guy who likes crypto and bought a few NXT and reads this thread to see how the development is coming.
I still can contribute a thought on what I think I see as a big flaw in NXT gaining widespread adoption and try to influence the developers by making suggestions. I can play musical instruments but if someone doesn't like what I'm playing I don't say "well if you spent more time learning to play you could play it yourself". That would be a copout.

As I stated, personally I would forge for free and am doing that now. My concern is about down the road when more users come along and less of them are going to be intimately involved and willing to run a program on their computer, especially one that opens them up to DDOS attacks or potentially worse for no reason. People follow the path of least resistance. I'm just one guy, but not the only one, who sees this as a potential serious flaw. The developers are busy with higher minded stuff and I think are a little bit removed from average users. That's why suggestions from nobodies like me can be helpful, or not. But to say we should be doing your job and developing your program for you is a little much.

James, I think that what you say about anybody being able to step up and contribute is not really true. By what means is this possible? Like Brian says, not everyone is a programmer, and even if they are, it doesn't seem as there is a way to contribute in a proficient, meaningful way. By what means can someone help? Who is organizing the community in this way? I know that there are certain groups of you who are working on things, but as far as I have seen, participating as you have implied is a closed shop. I hope with the coming to power of the comitees elect, that this scenario will change, and someone will conduct some sort of organization of community resources. But as of the way things are right now, your statement is false, and people can't just "step up".

I am not a programmer, but still can "step up".
I am organizing the team for James to work on the AE Gateway, I am trying to get nev devs on board to work with the core dev team and am trying to organize the AE testing.
While I have a job where I have to work 50-60 a week.

You could step up and help us writing test cases for the AE testing.

Your statement is invalid.

I am actually testing the AE as we speak. See the comment I just posted. I am not quite sure what I'm doing but I'm trying to break it if I can. I have not signed up for that thing with the testcases yet though cause I'll need to PM the OP and haven't gotten around to that part.

mcjavar

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:18:11 PM

ASSET EXCHANGE potential Bug

The AE has seemed pretty rock solid so far, been clicking all over doing every weird thing I can think of. seems very stable and robust so far and I haven't been able to break it yet or get it to produce any kind of out of the ordinary errors.

Not sure if this is a bug but I Issued an asset (OBAMACOIN) and made 300,000,000 of them at $3.50 each and put all of them them up for sale.

I then immediately went and put in a buy order for Obamacoin, which I figured would get rejected since I already hold them all.
However, The order went through and shows up in the Buy Order column where the coin is showcased but does not show up in "My Open Orders"
so now it's just kind of stuck there with no way to delete it. Whenever I go back to look at Obamacoin in the AE I see the order but there's no way to get rid of it.

UPDATE: Actually I just went and checked and now the buy order has disappeared completely so no longer a problem. However, should this order even have gone through to begin with? Wouldn't an alert immediately saying "You can't buy your own asset idiot" be better?

Also: AE is pretty amazing looking.  I like it better than Ripples' interface and it's much easier to issue assets in the NXT AE than it is in Ripple.

I don't know if this is the right way to report potential bugs for the AE so if I need to post this somewhere else let me know.

I think you should send it to Jean-Luc.
Thank you for your efforts.
mcjavar

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:19:00 PM

Isnt that what we all want? Distribution is what it is. No amount of complaining will change that. However, anybody can step up and start doing useful stuff and get rewarded. Anybody. Even a simple C programmer like me.

James

I am not a developer. I am just a guy who likes crypto and bought a few NXT and reads this thread to see how the development is coming.
I still can contribute a thought on what I think I see as a big flaw in NXT gaining widespread adoption and try to influence the developers by making suggestions. I can play musical instruments but if someone doesn't like what I'm playing I don't say "well if you spent more time learning to play you could play it yourself". That would be a copout.

As I stated, personally I would forge for free and am doing that now. My concern is about down the road when more users come along and less of them are going to be intimately involved and willing to run a program on their computer, especially one that opens them up to DDOS attacks or potentially worse for no reason. People follow the path of least resistance. I'm just one guy, but not the only one, who sees this as a potential serious flaw. The developers are busy with higher minded stuff and I think are a little bit removed from average users. That's why suggestions from nobodies like me can be helpful, or not. But to say we should be doing your job and developing your program for you is a little much.

James, I think that what you say about anybody being able to step up and contribute is not really true. By what means is this possible? Like Brian says, not everyone is a programmer, and even if they are, it doesn't seem as there is a way to contribute in a proficient, meaningful way. By what means can someone help? Who is organizing the community in this way? I know that there are certain groups of you who are working on things, but as far as I have seen, participating as you have implied is a closed shop. I hope with the coming to power of the comitees elect, that this scenario will change, and someone will conduct some sort of organization of community resources. But as of the way things are right now, your statement is false, and people can't just "step up".

I am organizing the team for James to work on the AE Gateway, I am trying to get nev devs on board to work with the core dev team and am trying to organize the AE testing.

I am actually testing the AE as we speak. See the comment I just posted. I am not quite sure what I'm doing but I'm trying to break it if I can. I have not signed up for that thing with the testcases yet though cause I'll need to PM the OP and haven't gotten around to that part.

You can just send me some testcases and I will add it to the system once I got time to set it up.
Jerical13

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:24:45 PM

[.
[/quote]
I didnt say that people should become devs. I said TEST. ANYBODY can test.

All this complaining is getting me depressed. Maybe I shouldnt bother with any of the projects I am doing.
All people seem to do is complain about this, a release is not done, I dont get anything from forging, blah, blah blah
I am working 18hr days trying to bring significant improvements, but if this is the attitude people have and they wont be forging because it doesn pay them enough, then why am I bothering?

STOP COMPLAINING
START HELPING

Is that too much to ask?

For people that want to earn stuff from forging, there is nodecoin. That should be end of story on that issue. Not only do you help secure the network, you will get nodecoins. Unless I get so depressed from all this nonsense that I dont bother making nodecoin. Is that what you want?

James
[/quote]

You are appreciated James. I do understand your frustrations. Is there anyway, that I can help? I am not a coder, and really not all that skilled with computers, so that will limit what I am able to do as far as helping on your end of things. But I will help how I can.

If I could make a suggestion, it should be a point of interest for someone to organize and administrate the community in such a fashion as to facilitate helping, as you suggest. If there were a clear and pointed way for people to be able to get involved and to use skills and talents they posses it may eliminate some of the complaining. It seems as though there are a lot of active people in the NXT community. That is evident from all of the complaining. Cheesy Someone should set some goals and get these people organized to some purpose. This should be a purpose of the new commitees. A wise captain knows that idleness is the seed of mutiny.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:26:26 PM

Wouldn't an alert immediately saying "You can't buy your own asset idiot" be better?

No. This would violate user's right to do stupid things.
mcjavar

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:26:37 PM

All this complaining is getting me depressed. Maybe I shouldnt bother with any of the projects I am doing.
All people seem to do is complain about this, a release is not done, I dont get anything from forging, blah, blah blah
I am working 18hr days trying to bring significant improvements, but if this is the attitude people have and they wont be forging because it doesn pay them enough, then why am I bothering?

STOP COMPLAINING
START HELPING

Is that too much to ask?

For people that want to earn stuff from forging, there is nodecoin. That should be end of story on that issue. Not only do you help secure the network, you will get nodecoins. Unless I get so depressed from all this nonsense that I dont bother making nodecoin. Is that what you want?

James

You are appreciated James. I do understand your frustrations. Is there anyway, that I can help? I am not a coder, and really not all that skilled with computers, so that will limit what I am able to do as far as helping on your end of things. But I will help how I can.

If I could make a suggestion, it should be a point of interest for someone to organize and administrate the community in such a fashion as to facilitate helping, as you suggest. If there were a clear and pointed way for people to be able to get involved and to use skills and talents they posses it may eliminate some of the complaining. It seems as though there are a lot of active people in the NXT community. That is evident from all of the complaining. Cheesy Someone should set some goals and get these people organized to some purpose. This should be a purpose of the new commitees. A wise captain knows that idleness is the seed of mutiny.

Please read my post above.
There are plenty of tasks and projects to organize. Pick one and "do the needfull" as my indian collegues say Smiley
Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:30:12 PM

STOP COMPLAINING
START HELPING

Is that too much to ask?

James

There are plenty of tasks and projects to organize. Pick one and "do the needfull" as my indian collegues say Smiley

In todays summaries, I started a "vacancies" category.
If there are any that need filling, mcjavar, please let me know. About 1000 people see it, also people that don't see this thread all that often.
Might widen the search. Smiley

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
BrianNowhere

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 10:30:39 PM

Wouldn't an alert immediately saying "You can't buy your own asset idiot" be better?

No. This would violate user's right to do stupid things.

Cool, I knew it wasn't that big of a deal and the order did go away on it's own. So far that's the only "error" I've been able to produce but will keep trying.

igmaca

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:42:06 PM

https://www.schneier.com/contact.html

About Bruce Schneier

Bruce SchneierBruce Schneier is an internationally renowned security technologist, called a "security guru" by The Economist. He is the author of 12 books -- including Liars and Outliers: Enabling the Trust Society Needs to Thrive -- as well as hundreds of articles, essays, and academic papers. His influential newsletter "Crypto-Gram" and his blog "Schneier on Security" are read by over 250,000 people. He has testified before Congress, is a frequent guest on television and radio, has served on several government committees, and is regularly quoted in the press. Schneier is a fellow at the Berkman Center for Internet and Society at Harvard Law School, a program fellow at the New America Foundation's Open Technology Institute, a board member of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, an Advisory Board Member of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, and the Chief Technology Officer at Co3 Systems, Inc.

Contact Bruce Schneier
For feedback on content, please e-mail Bruce Schneier: schneier@schneier.com
For other website issues (browser compatibility problems, etc.), please e-mail: webmaster@schneier.com
Password Safe Support
Password Safe is now an open source project -- please see its Sourceforge page for feature requests and bug reports.

Blog
Crypto-Gram Newsletter
Books
Essays and Op Eds
News and Interviews
Audio and Video
Speaking Schedule
Password Safe
Cryptography
About Bruce Schneier
Contact Information

Cryptography
Algorithms
Blowfish - Twofish - Solitaire - Helix - Phelix - Yarrow - Threefish - Skein

https://www.schneier.com/cryptography.html
mcjavar

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:56:12 PM

STOP COMPLAINING
START HELPING

Is that too much to ask?

James

In todays summaries, I started a "vacancies" category.
If there are any that need filling, mcjavar, please let me know. About 1000 people see it, also people that don't see this thread all that often.
Might widen the search. Smiley

Thank you! I've pm-ed you!
igmaca

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:59:36 PM

10000 NXT BOUNTY for google authenticator help

I am announcing a 10000 NXT bounty for someone to help me integrate google authenticator to the gateway. It will be paid when the gateway passes the community created test plan for multigateway.

I need someone that can do the webpages needed for account # and token input and the server side code that properly correlates that. along with whatever other help I need. Especially making sure the process is secure.

James

Edit: I hope somebody knows where to update the list of bounties and will do so

google authenticator expert

Dominik Reichl
Haydnstr. 12
72555 Metzingen
Germany

e-mail: dominik.reichl@t-online.de (Contact Form)
WebsiteWebsite: www.dominik-reichl.de
Tel.: (+0049) 0173 4621639
Jerical13

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 11:03:22 PM

I had a very interesting chat with one of my economist friends. He asked me a question, which I would like to forward to you, as I am very keen to hear what you think about it.

What gives value to Bitcoin? Why would someone buy 1 digital currency for $1000?

He looks at Bitcoin as a type of Ponzi scheme: all people joining Bitcoin after you, make you money.

Your friend must be a true "economist"... What gives value to anything (fiat, gold, stocks, your time)? The fact that someone else is willing to give you something for it.

If all the people joining bitcoin after me are only willing to pay less than I did, they will never make me a dime.

I love "economists" that don't understand the basic principle of market and exchange of value. They're simply brainwashed by government and their "precious" fiat.

But gold is used for manufacturing, so the price of gold NOT only dependent of speculation as the price of Bitcoin is. What can Bitcoin be used except of sending money back and forth?

What gives Fed. Reserve notes value? There is a demand for them. This is a legislated demand in the sense that they are what the government accepts for payment of debt; despite the fact that they are just pieces of paper that have no sustainable market value and their value can be manipulated by forces outside the market, and therefore the use of Fed. Reserve notes is not beneficial to the users of the market.

What gives Bitcoin (and other cryptos) value? There is a demand for them; Due to the fact that there is a need for a stable decentralized currency whose value is not subject to tampering from forces outside of the market. In short, Bitcoin and other cryptos have value because people want a free market economy, and there is a demand for a currency to facilitate trade in that free market that cannot possibly be filled by traditional fiat currencies; and the value of Bitcoin is based in peoples confidence in it, as a currency for that free market, to fill that need that fiats can't fill.

Where did your friend get his economics training?
Jerical13

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 11:17:43 PM

James

I also work. I Am a small business owner and work what seem to be endless hours, so you don't impress me that you have a job; and have offered to help in any way I can help several times and have pretty much been ignored. If you would care to view my posts on this thread offering my assistance and the replies to my offers you will see that you are full of shit.
xyzzyx

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

I don't really come from outer space.

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 11:19:02 PM

Schneier has said in the past that he's cautious about ECC (esp. in relation to key size) because we may not understand their properties sufficiently yet.  Just FYI.

"An awful lot of code is being written ... in languages that aren't very good by people who don't know what they're doing." -- Barbara Liskov
Mistafreeze

Activity: 897
Merit: 284

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 11:20:15 PM

Here we go again Smiley

Nxt TestNet 0.8.7 Installer w/ Wesley's Web Interface

THIS IS FOR TESTNET ONLY!!!
Asset Exchange enabled client.
Just like my last TestNet Installer 0.8.6, Java install is partially disabled. Wesley's web interface is the default at http://localhost:6876/dev. Original NRS interface can be found at http://localhost:6875.

SHA-256 of installer is AC628651709A02C03E64D53BD04C451A95ACA17665BF31610D935B97CC3CACF1

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1ktxgwn9oxfifba/Nxt_TestNet_0.8.7_Web_Setup.exe
Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 11:30:13 PM

James

I also work. I Am a small business owner and work what seem to be endless hours, so you don't impress me that you have a job; and have offered to help in any way I can help several times and have pretty much been ignored. If you would care to view my posts on this thread offering my assistance and the replies to my offers you will see that you are full of shit.

Please, both of you. No namecalling.
I have read both of your posts and believe you are above that.

Jerical: even though they might not be picked up, I believe that your questioning has value just because it forces people to think.
Dialectics is important, especially in development. Even ideas that don't get implemented help things forward.

As such, I'd like to offer my appreciation for that.

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
Jerical13

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 11:35:35 PM

STOP COMPLAINING
START HELPING

Is that too much to ask?

James

Where is the list of tasks that need to be done? who is in charge and how do I apply? Or should I just spend my time doing what ever comes to mind and hope that it is something that will be of use and coordinated with what is going on in the community and not just a waste of my time? I would like to help, but what specifically can I do to help? Who do I need to contact? What is the process for getting involved? Is there a process or does everyone just do what every they feel like doing and make no effort to work together? Tell me what I can do or show me were to find out.
Pages: « 1 ... 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 [2065] 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: