Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:53:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 92
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive ASICMiner Cube Setup [HD]  (Read 187265 times)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 02:33:22 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2015, 07:40:09 AM by dogie
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Dogie's Miner Setup Guides:
    ASICMiner Blade
ASICMiner Cube
ASICMiner Tube
ASICMiner Prisma
Avalon Avalon2
Avalon Avalon3
Avalon Avalon4
Avalon Avalon6
SpondooliesTech SP10
SpondooliesTech SP20
SpondooliesTech SP30
SpondooliesTech SP35
Technobit HEX16B
Technobit HEX8A1
Technobit HEX4M
Technobit 2HEX4M
KNCMiner Saturn/Jupiter
Bitmain AntMiner S1
Bitmain AntMiner S2
Bitmain AntMiner S3
Bitmain AntMiner S4
Bitmain AntMiner S4+
Bitmain AntMiner S5
Bitmain AntMiner S7
Bitmain AntMiner C1
Bitmain AntMiner U3
RockMiner R-Box
RockMiner New R-Box
RockMiner R3-Box
RockMiner T1
HashCoins Apollo
HashCoins Ares
NonceTech Sampo
Yiazo YBF
BTCGarden AMV1
Bitmine Coincraft Desk V2
HashRatio Tsunami
XBTech Pacific 1250
BitCrane T-110
Black Arrow Prospero X1
AMT 1.25TH
C-Scape HexFury USB
C-Scape BiFury USB
MoonlightMiner NanoFury II USB
    Gigampz PSU breakout board

Guide meta thread
    DefaultTrust Visualisation
    Power Supply analysis guide
    Manufacturer trustworthiness guide
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nicely formatted version available at dogiecoin.com!

Contents:
0a) What type of blade do I have?
0b) What You Need
1) Powering
2) Cooling
3) Case
4) Configuration
5) Troubleshooting
6) Where to buy

0a) What type of blade do I have? (top)
There are 4 current types of blades in the wild:

V1s batch 1- No overclockable firmware and only 10 were sold into the wild. Made up of 1x hashing, 1x power delivery and 1x ethernet boards.
V1.batch.2-3.5s- All other blades sold at auction. Have overclockable firmware.
V2- Now one single board, includes a backpane connector and is slightly smaller. No more overclocking as the necessary hardware is removed.
V3 Cube- A great consumer product with no more wiring, cooling or mounting complications.

The ASICMiner Cube contains 6 mini blades that hash at ~5.4GH each, mounted on a single motherboard.

0b) What You Need (top)
You will need the following:

1) Powering (top)
Cubes do not come with a power supply, and you will need a typical computer PSU with:
  • 2xPCI-E 6 pin power connectors
  • At least 28A on the/each 12V rail
  • No load protection. When cubes are turned on they exhibit an immediate burst of high draw, which some larger PSUs identifies as an overload

Estimated power consumption is as follows:
  • ~200W (no overclock)
  • ~280W (overclock)

I would recommend the following PSUs:
For 1 cube:
(Click.your.flag)

For 2 cubes:
(Click.your.flag)

We also need to tell the PSU to always be on, as there isn't a motherboard to do this. Cut a paper clip into a U and insert it into the green wire and either black
wire to the side of the green wire. Tape it up for safety. The power supply will now be controlled by its switch on the rear socket.

Remember to plug the fuse in [green disk], either way round will do.

2) Cooling (top)
Each cube comes with 1x120mm RPM controlled fan which remains quiet at all temperatures. Should the fan fail, the unit will stop hash and so is prevented
against overheating. It is recommended to reverse the fan's direction in order to increase cooling performance (and hash rate). You'll have to unscrew the end
plate with the fan and the 4 silver screws attaching the fan to the end plate to do this.

3) Case (top)
The case on the cube is a single extruded tube with two end pieces, held together with 8 screws. Cubes are stackable side to side and top to bottom.
Dimensions are  135.5 x 152.5 x 147.5mm (5.33" x 6.00" x 5.81").

4) Configuration (top)
  • Power on as above.
  • Plug in a network cable from the cube to your router. USB is for debugging only and serves no function for us.
  • Change your router's subnet to 1, ie 192.168.1.x. This is just temporary. If this is not possible, see below indented steps.
    • Plug in a network cable from the Cube to your computer.
    • Disable Wifi if applicable.
    • Navigate to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Centre -> Change Adapter Settings
    • Right click on your ethernet adapter -> Properties
    • Click on "Internet Protocol Version 4" and click properties
    • Select "Use the following IP address" and enter the following:
    • IP Address: 192.168.1.1, Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
    • Resume normal steps.
  • Using a browser, navigate to 192.168.1.254:8000 - this goes to the cube's configuration page.
  • Change the IP to something memorable like .200. If you have multiple cubes, connect them one by one and change to .200, .201 etc as you go. If you
    don't you'll have conflicting IPs. You can also change your subnet back now if you want to.
  • Cubes use the extinct getwork protocol and so we need to use a stratum proxy. Download the proxy and open the file.
  • On the cube config page, enter the server address the IP of the computer with the stratum proxy on. Enter it twice as the cube needs two pools to start
    mining, ie "192.168.1.102,192.168.1.102". If you are unsure what IP your computer is at, open cmd and type "ipcongif /all".
  • Username and password is for Slush's pool, stick with that for now. Again enter it twice, user:password,user:password.
  • Click update, then navigate back to the IP of the cube you set using a browser.
  • Set clock to high by hitting change clocks.

If you want to change pool, create a .bat file in notepad (save as .bat). Move the stratum proxy to the location below and put the following text inside for your
choice of pool. Change pool port and address for different pools.

Antpool Register!
Code:
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Proxy
mining_proxy.exe -o stratum.antpool.com -p 3333
BTCGuild Register!
Code:
mining_proxy.exe -o stratum.btcguild.com -p 3333
GHash IO Register!
Code:
mining_proxy.exe -o us1.ghash.io -p 3333

Configuration should look like this: 

5) Troubleshooting (top)

ProblemSolution
"x" in a row on "Chips".- There are just a few faulty chips - nothing we can do.
Almost all "x" on "Chips".- A mini hashing board inside is faulty or lose. Open up the case and take a look.
There is a rattling sound inside.- Likely some of the screws have come lose (common), open up the case and take a look.
My.Cube.mines.for.a.bit,.but.then.stops.until.reset.- Take all android phones/tablets OFF the wifi, they interfere for some reason.
I can't achieve turbo mode- Try using two PCI-E connectors from different cable strands. Turbo mode isn't guaranteed so its part luck.
My cables are braided or aren't color coded.- See below diagram for pin-outs.
I still can't get it to work Sad- Post a screenshot with your cube's configuration page, cmd with ipconfig /all and your stratum proxy.

Legal disclaimer: This information is for general guidance and does not constitute expert advice. We are not responsible if you, your property or a third
party is injured or damaged as a result of any interaction with this information, and no warranty is provided. All text and images are covered by copyright.

6) Where to buy (top)
Blades here,Cubes here, EU Cubes here!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Beastlymac

Activity: 630
Merit: 501

Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 02:38:08 AM

Great setup guide Dogie. Thanks for the great write up.

Message me if you have any problems
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 02:43:27 AM

No problem. If there is any particular hardware you want sorting then let me know. Currently got an antminer here which I'll do tomorrow.

CroverNo01

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 02:51:18 AM

Great guide as always just wondering I blew 2x 650W on overclock tonight, each cube had 650w PSU, I could smell almost like burning plastic for a while but I thought it was just the new cubes but came home tonight and found both cubes had turned off and PSU's totally not turning back on.

They were decent Cool Master PSU's with 25A

Just wondering why they blew.

Also can you suggest a good PSU that could be used for many cubes ? Is it possible to use the Sata to 6 Pin adapters ?

Thanks
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 02:56:58 AM

Great guide as always just wondering I blew 2x 650W on overclock tonight, each cube had 650w PSU, I could smell almost like burning plastic for a while but I thought it was just the new cubes but came home tonight and found both cubes had turned off and PSU's totally not turning back on.

Also can you suggest a good PSU that could be used for many cubes ? Is it possible to use the Sata to 6 Pin adapters ?

Thanks
Can you link me to the exact PSU? Seems strange that they would be rated at 650W when only able to provide 300W on 12V rails.

Anything Corsair, you'll pay 10% more but get a big warranty and know exactly what you're getting. The 800W one I recommended is exactly what you'll need to run two off one PSU. You can't use sata to 6 pin adapters, SATA connectors are only rated for 25-35W. If you mean molex to 6 pin adapters then I'd still say no unless you use a dual molex to 6 pin adapter.

A molex could cope with 75W 24/7 - not 150W.

mchu168

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 03:19:50 AM

Dogie, this is super helpful. Thanks for posting.

Wondering if you have some tips on using BFGminer to mine on Bitminter? I have my cube up and running but not getting 38gh in overclock mode.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 03:58:28 AM

Dogie, this is super helpful. Thanks for posting.

Wondering if you have some tips on using BFGminer to mine on Bitminter? I have my cube up and running but not getting 38gh in overclock mode.

I've specifically avoided mentioning BFGminer because there is no advantage over the much, much, much simpler stratum proxy method - it just adds confusion to those who really need the barebones approach. I'll probably add .bat scripting info to point to other pools tomorrow.

This unit is 36.7 so thats pretty close. Looking at the chip numbers, my first board underperforms the others by probably 700MH.

sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1847

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 04:10:53 AM

On the subject of power supplies - I'm working up some 750W supplies rebuilt to run two Cubes natively; had one running two at full overclock for a few days with no issues. Basically modified server supplies, so high reliability and about 90% efficiency. Won't require a paperclip, and can actualy be turned on with a switch or from any external voltage (molex connector). Should have word in a few days about selling.

Also testing additional-overclock feasibility, but so far heat is a limiting factor. Best speeds I've gotten are around 39.6GH.

Just throwing that out there.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
joeventura

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 04:17:43 AM

No problem. If there is any particular hardware you want sorting then let me know. Currently got an antminer here which I'll do tomorrow.

Well done J!
Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 04:38:23 AM

Well done J!

Excellent!
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 05:03:39 AM

Can you foresee any issues running 3 of these guys on a good ole' AX1200 ? Was planning on using those. Have been eyeing some Seasonic 1250's on NewEgg I thought of snagging, but the Corsair stuff is readily available at the local Fry's whereas Seasonics are not available.
daddyfatsax

Activity: 857
Merit: 1000

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 07:37:27 AM

So having my network setup as 192.168.2 instead of 192.168.1 is not gonna work? Now I am gonna have to mess with my stupid UVerse router again and my NAS.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1847

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 07:46:18 AM

If you temporarily change a machine's IP to the 192.168.1.x subnet and access the Cube's config page, you can change its IP over to 192.168.2.x subnet and update the settings, it should work without needing a change to your network.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 10:29:48 AM

Can you foresee any issues running 3 of these guys on a good ole' AX1200 ? Was planning on using those. Have been eyeing some Seasonic 1250's on NewEgg I thought of snagging, but the Corsair stuff is readily available at the local Fry's whereas Seasonics are not available.

PSU looks fine, won't have more than 100-200W headroom with all 3 OCed though.

So having my network setup as 192.168.2 instead of 192.168.1 is not gonna work? Now I am gonna have to mess with my stupid UVerse router again and my NAS.

You'll need to set it to .1 to get to the config, then you can set it to .2. So you can go back to .2.

leslierad

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 03:06:26 PM

I tried a Zalman ZM600-LX (600 Watts, 45 Amps) , and it immediately trips itself after the box starts.

Swapped the Zalman 600W with my PC's Corsair GS800 works fine just get 5 x's on 2 lines when running on High (overclocked)

Was wondering if there is a way to manually adjust voltage to chips? to get them running over-clocked, Low gets me about 31,5-32 Gh/s which is ok.

I use a batch file:
C:\bfgminer-3.7.0-win32\bfgminer --http-port 8330 -Q 45 -s 50 -E 60 -S noauto -o stratum+tcp://stratum.mining.eligius.st:3334 -O 1EbapZX1t9CZmQaYh7i3MZFEmzaDkCN2dR -o stratum+tcp://stratum.bitcoin.cz:3333 -u USER -p PASS

Seems to run pretty decent otherwise.
CroverNo01

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 08:40:14 PM

Thanks
Can you link me to the exact PSU? Seems strange that they would be rated at 650W when only able to provide 300W on 12V rails.

Anything Corsair, you'll pay 10% more but get a big warranty and know exactly what you're getting. The 800W one I recommended is exactly what you'll need to run two off one PSU. You can't use sata to 6 pin adapters, SATA connectors are only rated for 25-35W. If you mean molex to 6 pin adapters then I'd still say no unless you use a dual molex to 6 pin adapter.

Hi, PSU 1 was Cooler Master RP-650-PCAP PSU was Power Cool PC-650AUBA-M - Both PSU blew on overclock setting with nothing else plugged into them. I was looking to see if there was some kind of server PSU maybe that you screw the wires into and they can power maybe 2 - 4 Cubes at a time. I have seen people in China doing this but don't know the PSU are using. Okay fair enough with the SATA, I have seen dual molex to 6pin but tbh if the PSU already has enough 6pin cables no point putting the others under strain. I can't seem to find that PSU mentioned anywhere in the UK Sad
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 09:54:01 PM

Thanks

Hi, PSU 1 was Cooler Master RP-650-PCAP PSU was Power Cool PC-650AUBA-M - Both PSU blew on overclock setting with nothing else plugged into them. I was looking to see if there was some kind of server PSU maybe that you screw the wires into and they can power maybe 2 - 4 Cubes at a time. I have seen people in China doing this but don't know the PSU are using. Okay fair enough with the SATA, I have seen dual molex to 6pin but tbh if the PSU already has enough 6pin cables no point putting the others under strain. I can't seem to find that PSU mentioned anywhere in the UK Sad

Those PSUs only have 18 and 25A on their 12V rails when they were NEW, nevermind how they are today. That explains why they both died.

I doubt you can power 4 cubes on anything less than a 1500W PSU - and even then mine would struggle due to the load coming purely from 12V.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 09:54:25 PM

I tried a Zalman ZM600-LX (600 Watts, 45 Amps) , and it immediately trips itself after the box starts.

Swapped the Zalman 600W with my PC's Corsair GS800 works fine just get 5 x's on 2 lines when running on High (overclocked)

Was wondering if there is a way to manually adjust voltage to chips? to get them running over-clocked, Low gets me about 31,5-32 Gh/s which is ok.

I use a batch file:
C:\bfgminer-3.7.0-win32\bfgminer --http-port 8330 -Q 45 -s 50 -E 60 -S noauto -o stratum+tcp://stratum.mining.eligius.st:3334 -O 1EbapZX1t9CZmQaYh7i3MZFEmzaDkCN2dR -o stratum+tcp://stratum.bitcoin.cz:3333 -u USER -p PASS

Seems to run pretty decent otherwise.

AFAIK there is no way to alter voltages as they're no longer variable like V1 and V2.

lajz99

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 10:31:07 PM

I ran through the guide and I'm not able to access the IP I set after I update.  I can see it in my IP scanner...any ideas?  I'll give a tip to anyone that can help!

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 11:12:08 PM

I ran through the guide and I'm not able to access the IP I set after I update.  I can see it in my IP scanner...any ideas?  I'll give a tip to anyone that can help!

Sorted, he forgot the port.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 92
  Print  

Jump to: