Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:10:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 [189] 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [888] [SCRYPT] OctoCoin ◦ The Power of Eight ◦ Don't Blink  (Read 297650 times)
syncsam

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 11:07:25 PM

Does that mean I don't get to be part of the secret octoCULT? I guess I won't get to drink the kool aid
syncsam

Activity: 172

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 05:52:59 AM
Last edit: November 12, 2014, 06:21:40 AM by syncsam

Welcome back edric, nice to see ur been keeping yourself occupied  Grin

Just so everyone is aware this is where I stand on community take over, its a nice idea if someone (I think madmartyk said he had an idea, may have been someone else) has a massive idea that could do more then just recoup our losses, or has longer term plans (more then 1 idea, willing to take on a dev roll), it would need to stand out from all the other alt coins, otherwise it is just trying to swim against a tsunami

I personally don't have the coding skills or spare time due to me trying to expand 1 business n also trying to grow a concept into another business, and at this point I took my gamble and I counted it at as a loss ages ago.

but I am from Hong Kong (I don't live there anymore) and know a few people around Hong Kong and china, none of them are real computer people and know nothing about crypto currencies, if a community takeover happens I could  ask my mates to put the word out to their mates to see if anyone would be interested in marketing in china

I'm now beginning to believe this may have been a slow play scam, take the pre mine and wait till the community takes over to increase the value, little to no work involved, yet still a big pay day (just my theory), I gave over hundred thousand octo away to friends n family which I'm now a shamed of, glad i never talked anyone into buying any

<edit> just to add to the china bit, china has strict money movement laws, so for it to be successful in china it would need to be on an exchange in china, accessible to the average Chinese joe blow , otherwise it wouldn't work out, but we do love our 8's my old mobile number had 3 8's in it
crunner

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 09:55:24 PM

Well, it's been a long time since I've poked my head in. I haven't been able to be as on-point as I used to, there's been some big changes in my life. I've been working on a few other projects, though, some of which got completely raped by some of the crazy crap going on with GAW. Pretty sad to see this die, but my schedule has been cleared out for the most part, if you guys are looking to hire someone to get it updated, I've got the knowledge and the tools, and hopefully still a decent reputation Smiley

Do let me know.

Go Edric. Start by telling us what you need to fix the wallet
LeFiste

Activity: 157

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 12:53:22 PM

Just an update on the Bittrex situation: we have received additional details from Richie and are digging into the issue. For those concerned about OctoCoin potentially being delisted from Bittrex, here are Richie's comments:

"Don't worry about delisting... I'm more concerned about this problem because it might impact a lot more than just octo."

Basically, as some of you have already gathered, some of the transaction comments are apparently being overwritten which is how Bittrex manages payouts. They froze 888 trading and put up a "delisting" warning both to prevent additional repeats and to expedite action on our part. While we have never experienced this issue nor seen reports of any issues until now, not all services operate in the same manner. It's possible this is an issue that has been corrected in the latest Bitcoin Core source code and, if that is the case, we will ensure the fix is implemented and release our new wallet ahead of schedule. Regardless, Bittrex may want to consider a new method for verifying withdrawals to avoid this potential issue with other currencies. We will get it all straightened out.

And this has happened again.  This only happens with this wallet so at this point we request an octocoin fix Sad

It is not an user forceable scenario but to provide more details, if ALL of these conditions are met, we end up double paying out twice: 

* If we send a withdrawal request
* If it times out before returning a txid
* If the send subsequently succeeds
* If the send uses input from a previously conflicted transaction

What happens is that the send succeeds, but uses the comment from the previous conflicted transaction.  This causes us to not see a payment match and we resubmit.  There is no reason why a sendtoaddress call made with a comment is replaced with a comment from a transaction from over 6 months ago.  Please figure this out and solve this issue.  At this time, we will be shutting down the wallet for deposits/withdrawals until we can find a solution.

Thanks,
richie@bittrex

this was richie's explanation regarding the wallet problem

djslick
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 08:14:14 PM

nice syncsam, looks like you're out official octocoin far east correspondent.

as for Edric, we're waiting with baited breath dude, tell us if you're willing to accept this responsibility or not, also what your price is. if we can pay you in octocoin all the better!

*** STUMP THE TRUMP *** SPURN THE BERN *** VOTE BILLARY! ***
-= www.Billary.rocks | https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1439754 =-
hashbrown9000

Activity: 427
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 03:37:02 AM

does our community have what it needs to wrest control from the original devs?

Pinkcoin:
ETH:
VTC:
BTC:
djslick
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2014, 06:52:11 AM

HALLO?

wartywarlock

Activity: 208

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 10:31:14 AM

HALLO?

Perhaps a little less desperation would suffice. I hope nobody has pestered Edric too much outside of this thread.

That said, from prior communications via his pool, and chatter from this posts early days, I do feel confident in his ability and willingness to fix the coin. Anyone with a memory will know he doesn't have a huge stake but has run his pool with integrity the whole time.

The big question is, how much faith can be put into Bholzer and his input on the matter. It's great to finally have some feedback from somebody however I feel I am not alone in saying his "openness" still felt shady in some ways. The greatest point being the whole "I've not even secretly saved the project." Trouble is, a non-secret known only by one person, sort of is a secret, isn't it?

The fact that you cannot/chose not to bother explaining what you meant negates any weight you could have carried with that statement. When you couple this with the fact that despite all this, despite being in contact with the dev(s), they still can't be arsed to chime in, at all. Nothing about that is professional. The churlishness of blaming us as a community for the downfall is a straight up "fuck you" and nothing more. The community could not have been more supportive. A little in-fighting and name-calling is forgiveable when the situation has been so stressful for so long.

I almost can't help but feel this is like a person trying to get their partner to do the breakup. The core issues have been danced around, vague solutions have been given, timelines have been blurred, fingers pointed and blame displaced, just as the issue of a community take over crops up. It's almost too perfect - everyone dev wise gets out scot-free, you get left alone, and best case if it gets rolling, you get from us the fat cheque that you in fact promised to give us.

However, with everything else you are reputedly involved in, your real name, (it makes me sick to say it but your parents identities etc) what reason could there be for lying in this matter. It strikes me that there is nothing but stress to be gained from attempting to string us along. It wouldn't even begin to help anyone offload any of the quantity of Octo we all hold, so there's little rhyme or reason to it.

I don't feel it is too late for Octo at all, but my honest opinion is that if Bholzer/Dev really are too far up on their high horses to put actual facts behind the BOLD statements given, then takeover is the only option. In which case we need to start talking details. I'd say we dump this entire codebase, use a modern fork of something that works, and organize with Richie@Bittrex to facilitate a swap over and have him burn the coins held there. Maybe he can open up deposits (only) for a couple of weeks for everyone to get on board while we promote. Just a suggestion but why fix when we can upgrade instead. We'd need other things going at the same time. I see little point merely making the coin work without some kind of service for it.
LeFiste

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 02:12:59 PM

I don't really see a point in taking over the coin. Without the promised apps there is nothing special about it. Even if we get it back on Bittrex...there will be a huge dump and then it's dead. As for the 'inner circle' stuff etc...this is just another kick in the face of the community. If we were asked for support at a earlier point I would have thrown in money and time for Octo. But after all the accusations about the community made by BHolzer...I don't think there is a possibility for a professional business partnership. The whole Octocoin project looked really promising, but now it seems like it's been a amateurish try all the time. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't believe it will happen.

mafort1469

Activity: 364

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 02:43:55 PM

Maybe we can have a new coin made and have a 1:1 transfer of 888 for new coin??? Do a fork to a new coin? Take Hyperstake for example. It forked from Truckcoin and whatever amount of truckcoin you had then you had that many Hyperstake. 1:1 transfer to new coin. Just thinking out loud. Something needs to be done as too many people have invested too much money to let this die. This community is a strong one so let's figure something out. Then once that is accomplished we can begin anew with new ideas and continue upward. And since it will be a new coin there will not be any dumping as price will not be set. Actually if we went this route and everyone and I mean everyone was on board then we could set our own price on the exchanges. Any other ideas??
frameLAlife

Activity: 378

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2014, 03:20:17 PM

agreed. a community takeover shouldn't stay octo. should change the specs and nature of the coin. 1:1 transfer and jack the blockchain. and find a way to burn the premine coins of the dev.

www.ptcrypto.com YOUR Bitcoin consultants!
BTC 13TQitBTzADXpYsDMRjDqFuGaw8m1JZ2YE
Rumhurius
Legendary

Activity: 1672
Merit: 1046

Here we go again

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 12:41:16 AM

lol awakening in progress ?
 Grin

LeFiste

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 04:17:57 PM

lol awakening in progress ?
 Grin

Let's put it like this...I believe some of us have cancelled their trip to Vegas in march  Grin

Youghoor

Activity: 1036
Merit: 275

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 04:24:19 PM

may be we did
coinsolidation

Activity: 294

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2014, 12:07:15 AM

In which case we need to start talking details. I'd say we dump this entire codebase, use a modern fork of something that works, and organize with Richie@Bittrex to facilitate a swap over and have him burn the coins held there. Maybe he can open up deposits (only) for a couple of weeks for everyone to get on board while we promote. Just a suggestion but why fix when we can upgrade instead. We'd need other things going at the same time. I see little point merely making the coin work without some kind of service for it.

I cannot develop the coin long term as I am committed to my own project.  However, I can help you fix the bittrex-blocking issue with transactions, likely on Sunday, if that would help.

Alternatively, if you can get your community together to work out what you want to use the currency for (i.e. work on some services and real longevity), and get a long term developer on board (Edric?), then I will commit some time to helping you get up and running with a fork of our own (modern, tested) codebase, a premine equal to the coins in chain, and a fair balanced configuration moving forward.  We also have 2 proposed modifications to difficulty and emission calculation, it would be good to include one of them, after testing of course.

Warmest Regards,  Mark

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)
djslick
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2014, 04:53:44 AM

agreed. a community takeover shouldn't stay octo. should change the specs and nature of the coin. 1:1 transfer and jack the blockchain. and find a way to burn the premine coins of the dev.

any 1:1 transfer to a new coin would be accessible by whoever's holding the pre-mine just like anyone else. unless you wanna parse every TX needed to find out where that all is, and even then i don't know what exactly you could do.

i like the octo name, we have to keep the 888 ticker, that's all i really care about, it's too good to pass up on.

it could be an idea to come up with a new coin name, try and rebrand. but with any sort of 1:1 program then any re-brand will quickly be traced back to being octocoin. so it might all be best left to just keeping what we have and fixing it.

Edric never came back looks like, i guess we're counting him out, i mean it was his first post here in like 3 months, if he comes back wonderful, but i wouldn't count him as onboard anything, which means we have to keep looking, the clock's a tickin.

coinsolodation, since we are leaderless at the moment, i'd just like to say that on behalf of the investors, we would REALLY appreciate any help you can give us, and i'm sure you'll be rewarded with donations if you can get anything done on this coin. i'd love to see 888 become better integrated with online poker, it's just the right fit IMO. we had an IRC octocoin texas hold'em script running if i'm not mistaken, we need a way of getting a GUI poker game operational, online, and using 888. no real service would use it i don't think, not without being able to have a controlling investment in the currency. i can't see why it would be worth anyone's while to hand over the value of their product to a bunch of strangers who hold all the currency. so we need to consider what we're willing to give up to give this coin a shot.

888 = lucky gambling. let's roll with that for the real plans, unless anyone has anything better/more relevant

lifeforcepools

Activity: 616
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 09:28:49 AM

any 1:1 transfer to a new coin would be accessible by whoever's holding the pre-mine just like anyone else. unless you wanna parse every TX needed to find out where that all is, and even then i don't know what exactly you could do.

i like the octo name, we have to keep the 888 ticker, that's all i really care about, it's too good to pass up on.

it could be an idea to come up with a new coin name, try and rebrand. but with any sort of 1:1 program then any re-brand will quickly be traced back to being octocoin. so it might all be best left to just keeping what we have and fixing it.

Edric never came back looks like, i guess we're counting him out, i mean it was his first post here in like 3 months, if he comes back wonderful, but i wouldn't count him as onboard anything, which means we have to keep looking, the clock's a tickin.

coinsolodation, since we are leaderless at the moment, i'd just like to say that on behalf of the investors, we would REALLY appreciate any help you can give us, and i'm sure you'll be rewarded with donations if you can get anything done on this coin. i'd love to see 888 become better integrated with online poker, it's just the right fit IMO. we had an IRC octocoin texas hold'em script running if i'm not mistaken, we need a way of getting a GUI poker game operational, online, and using 888. no real service would use it i don't think, not without being able to have a controlling investment in the currency. i can't see why it would be worth anyone's while to hand over the value of their product to a bunch of strangers who hold all the currency. so we need to consider what we're willing to give up to give this coin a shot.

888 = lucky gambling. let's roll with that for the real plans, unless anyone has anything better/more relevant

don't count Edric out - that's for sure

still waters runs deep - trust me on this.

Smiley

BUY CRYPTO AT REASONABLE RATES
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▄
██████ ▄█▄ ██████
██████ █████ ██████
█████ ▄ ███ ▄ █████
████▌▐██ █ ██▌▐████
███▄ ▀▀▌ ▐▀▀ ▄███
▀████▄▄ ▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
████        ▀████
███████  ███  █████
███████      ▀█████
███████  ███  █████
████        ▄████
▀█████▄█▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀█████▄
██████   ▐███████
██████▌   ▀▀███████
█████▀    ▄████████
████▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀████
███▌         ▄███
▀█████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
&OTHER
COINS
neleonele

Activity: 392

member of GameCredits Dev team

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2014, 10:24:47 AM

In which case we need to start talking details. I'd say we dump this entire codebase, use a modern fork of something that works, and organize with Richie@Bittrex to facilitate a swap over and have him burn the coins held there. Maybe he can open up deposits (only) for a couple of weeks for everyone to get on board while we promote. Just a suggestion but why fix when we can upgrade instead. We'd need other things going at the same time. I see little point merely making the coin work without some kind of service for it.

I cannot develop the coin long term as I am committed to my own project.  However, I can help you fix the bittrex-blocking issue with transactions, likely on Sunday, if that would help.

Alternatively, if you can get your community together to work out what you want to use the currency for (i.e. work on some services and real longevity), and get a long term developer on board (Edric?), then I will commit some time to helping you get up and running with a fork of our own (modern, tested) codebase, a premine equal to the coins in chain, and a fair balanced configuration moving forward.  We also have 2 proposed modifications to difficulty and emission calculation, it would be good to include one of them, after testing of course.

Warmest Regards,  Mark

Thanks Mark

Mark is the BTM Bitmark dev,I asked him to take look and if he can help with wallet.
So if everybody agree with comunity taking over, if we can make deal with Edric about long term dev,That will be awesome.

Regards

GWCalvert

Activity: 167

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2014, 05:25:15 PM
Last edit: November 19, 2014, 10:28:46 PM by GWCalvert

don't count Edric out - that's for sure

still waters runs deep - trust me on this.

Smiley

Never count Edric out. He has a lot going on, at the moment, but is very reliable.

As far as fixing the coin goes... it should be an easy fix and shouldn't take very long to get the code straight.

The Octocoin 1.8 code was a direct copy of Dogecoin Core 1.7, with a few minor adjustments (block rewards, difficulty adjustments, genesis block, etc). It was rushed to market to beat the Doge release and missed out on a couple of changes Dogecoin made just before their release. Some of these changes are associated with how transactions are seen and recorded by the network, which may be the problem at Bittrex.

The pfennig code used by Bitmark is very solid and would work as an upgrade (with a different difficulty schedule), or we could compare the Octo 1.8 to Doge 1.7 and correct the files where necessary. Either should straighten out any problem with transactions at Bittrex as both have been traded there at high volumes with no issues.

One note on naming a developer. We should not rely on just one person as the developer. There should be a team of people assembled (from the community) that would be in charge of developing and promoting the coin. In this way we could involve more of our community in the work needed to be done and not have a single point of failure. With one person doing all of the work... if something happens to them, we are back at looking for a developer again.

Keeping the 888 ticker and making Octo a gambling coin is not a good idea. There is a large 888 gaming corporation who, I am sure, would not be happy about it, as it could be mistaken as part of their network.

Keeping the 888 ticker and having a coin with a variety of real-life uses would probably be okay. I like the Octo name and the 888 ticker, but when it all comes down to make or break; the features that are developed for the coin is what will give it value, not the name.

Just my two-pence worth for the day.  Wink

888: 8TSFGEFRSXc7fjWt9RPQF1iGUe7T3J2GL1  Emerald Crypto Thread
GWCalvert

Activity: 167

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2014, 10:25:49 PM

About the BTM dev helping out... His comment from the BTM thread (emphasis added):

Thank you to Medic for his hard work and help managing the project.

I'd just like to say that the mining concerns have been noted, we have to viable proposals, and potentially a chance to implement one of them in a different coin next week to give it a try before we adopt it properly.  for now the BTM supply is very low, in fact we hit 50% emission earlier today.  There should be 1.85 million and we have less than 924k so far, some days only 100 created out of a possible 14,400!  The mining is tough, but limited supply is doing it's job for now.

Back to work.

If his idea to "help" OctoCoin out is by running experiments for his own coin (which, by the way, has a totally f'd-up difficulty... see italicized portion of quote) then we do not need him. We do not need any experiments that might get us dropped from Bittrex altogether if/when they fail.

As I stated in the previous post... it is a simple fix.

I am sure we can get a group together from the community that can implement the fix, and make positive improvements for OctoCoin in the future. I am one of the larger investors, here. I do not have much time, at present, to devote to Octo but am willing to help where I can if we can get a group to work together for the future of 888.

888: 8TSFGEFRSXc7fjWt9RPQF1iGUe7T3J2GL1  Emerald Crypto Thread
Pages: « 1 ... 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 [189] 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 »
  Print  

Jump to: