Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:29:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ... 231 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread  (Read 521678 times)
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:09:30 AM

This may have been asked before, but is there nothing can be done to mitigate the one hour freeze of my laptop whenever I start Armory?

Does it freeze?  I should run but be in offline mode.  If your laptop is lower on the RAM spectrum, then I suppose it can take a while...

I'm starting on the RAM reduction stuff this week.  I have no idea how long it's going to take, but I expect a week or two.  Then you shouldn't have these problems anymore.

Nah, it's online, freezes in the reading blockchain part. My laptop has got 5G of RAM, not sure how much is freely available at the time I started it though.

I assume you're running 0.87.2?  Before 0.8-something, I didn't have multi-threaded blockchain operations, which meant that it froze for everyone when it started up.  But that was a while ago, I assume you have the latest...

Yes, 0.87.2, so if it's all gonna be resolved in 0.88 I am definitely gonna compile it right, I was just too lazy to install that many additional packages. Tongue

Come on Alan, you got too good a memory. Cheesy

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 05:35:02 AM

Yeah, I should've been focusing on things that were higher priority...  but I didn't want to run off down the persistent-blockchain path until I had the auto-bitcoind stuff mostly out of the way.  So instead, I've implemented a feature I've been meaning to do for quite a while!

All unlock dialogs now have an "On-Screen Display" keyboard!  Simple, off-the-shelf keyloggers won't be of much use if you're using an OSD keyboard.  And while it's probably not worth it, I added a "scramble" option so that you can feel ultra safe, even if the keylogger is recording mouse clicks (but not screenshots).  I say it's probably not worth it, because it's a cool idea, but it's a total pain in the ass to use!   It's almost intolerable, especially if you have a 16-character password like I do!  I'm sure someone will use it, though Smiley

The managesatoshi branch now reflects 0.87.95, and probably going to move towards merging this into the testing branch.  Some people have had some bad experiences with it, but I think the solution is to have a trouble-shooting webpage to help people get over it.  There's only some much time I can spend debugging this!

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
CBit

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 05:54:14 PM

I read somewhere that XP is the oldest Windows compatible with Armory but can't find that info anymore, am I correct? Apparently that old computer growing old without use had Windows 98 installed instead of XP, jesus. Do I need to install another OS? Naturally talking about the offline use.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 04:18:26 AM

I read somewhere that XP is the oldest Windows compatible with Armory but can't find that info anymore, am I correct? Apparently that old computer growing old without use had Windows 98 installed instead of XP, jesus. Do I need to install another OS? Naturally talking about the offline use.

I assume that Windows 98 is too old, but I have no evidence to back that up.  Please try the "windows_all.msi" file and let me know.  I just wouldn't count on it.  As long as it has 128 MB+ RAM, it can run Ubuntu 10.04-32bit, which can be setup in about 20 minutes, and all you need is the offline bundle.  It's possible even without any real linux experience.  But I'll let others comment on whether that's accurate.

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
CBit

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:54:43 AM

Yeah, I already proceeded to burn an Ubuntu CD, but I'll try with the Win 98 first and let y'all know if it works. Gotta then make that paper backup right away as the over decade-old computer is making some interesting noises Grin
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 05:57:28 AM

Help me test 0.87.95-beta!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=156250.msg1655941#msg1655941

From that thread:

Updates in 0.87.95-testing (soon to be 0.88)
  • Auto management of bitcoind: This most definitely will break on OSX... gonna deal with that this week.  What needs to be done should be fairly well-explained in the interface.  I will be adding a troubleshooting section to the website to catch the most common issues.
  • Notifications of new Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind versions:  It should work with both self-management and auto-management of bitcoind.
  • Windows code-signing certificates:  Just like my GPG keys, I have an offline code-signing certificate just for Windows installers/MSIs
  • On-screen Keyboard for passphrase entry: You can now fool keyloggers by using an on-screen keyboard.  If you're ultra-paranoid (and ultra-patient) you can use a keyboard that is scrambled in a cryptographically secure manner.   Comes in "regular" and "insane" flavors.
  • Clickable (?) objects: Yes, they finally do something when you click them (used to be 1.5s mouseover)
  • Reduced the number of windows you have to click through to execute an offline transaction.
  • Created new Ubuntu-10.04-32bit offline bundle:  this includes the frag/unfrag scripts for Shamir's Secret Sharing

OSX package & signing is next on my list.  Then persistent blockchain stuff!  

chrisrico

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 08:32:10 AM

I should have saved information from the popup, but upgrading from 0.87 or so on Windows, I was getting a crash immediately on startup. Uninstalling, deleting the ArmoryBitcoin folder, and reinstalling fixed the problem. I've upgraded a few times so were some old files left in there when I deleted it. After reinstalling starts up no problem.

Auto-installation went smoothly! This is actually pretty awesome because I don't have a persistent bitcoin daemon running on my Windows partition.

Oh, and I love the new scanning progress bar with estimated time to completion. Very slick.

I'm really looking forward to Armory persisting its own blockchain data, I'll gladly trade disk space for memory (using 2.5 GB now). Do you have any idea how much faster startup should be? Is it looking like that's going in the next release?
CBit

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 10:29:50 AM

The Windows 98 computer didn't agree to run the .msi file. It also didn't open the Ubuntu installer, and boot from CD was definitely abnormal, didn't work. I'm not sure if this tells anything about Win 98 itself, just about that elderly computer. I am going to try with XP next.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 02:06:56 PM

I should have saved information from the popup, but upgrading from 0.87 or so on Windows, I was getting a crash immediately on startup. Uninstalling, deleting the ArmoryBitcoin folder, and reinstalling fixed the problem. I've upgraded a few times so were some old files left in there when I deleted it. After reinstalling starts up no problem.

Auto-installation went smoothly! This is actually pretty awesome because I don't have a persistent bitcoin daemon running on my Windows partition.

Oh, and I love the new scanning progress bar with estimated time to completion. Very slick.

The first line in the release notes will be about fully removing Armory before upgrading.  I've actually had quite a few people with that problem.  Glad it went smoothly for someone!  I usually only hear bad stuff!

Would I be able to put my wallet on a network share then be able to access the wallet from multiple computers? Send and receive BTC this way also? If possible, would this raise issues in corrupting the wallet? 

Please do not do this.  Just make digital copies of the wallet, and import them in multiple places.  The wallets are absolutely not "thread-safe" which is what you're doing if you access it from multiple system.  Either make digital copies and import it on multiple systems (with the risk of some address re-use, because some systems don't know that certain addresses have already been distributed), or just make multiple wallets.  Since each one is only one sheet of paper to backup, if you are going to use multiple systems regularly, it might better to keep track of which computer is producing which addresses.

Nemesis

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 06:15:51 PM

Armory is still in beta stage, how safe is it to use offline wallet feature? What if there is a bug and my wallet is gone? Can i import my offline wallet to another client (Qt client)?
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 06:25:30 PM

Armory is still in beta stage, how safe is it to use offline wallet feature? What if there is a bug and my wallet is gone? Can i import my offline wallet to another client (Qt client)?

"Beta" is mostly related to the usability and stability of the interface.  Not the underlying security of the wallet.

At this point, it's getting almost 10k downloads per month!  (used to be 2k, but the recent surge in activity has really propped it up!).  It's extremely stable and in the past 15 months, I've never heard of anyone losing money with Armory except when they didn't make a paper backup!

-- Lots of people have forgotten their wallet passphrase and their wallet became permanently encrypted.  Can be recovered from a paper backup
-- A few people have had their hard-drives fail/corrupt.  You are safe if you have a paper backup.
-- Some people have explicitly deleted files or wallets thinking they know better than Armory what needs to be deleted.  Two people have contacted me about losing coins because they explicitly did this.  They would've been protected if they had made a paper backup.
-- If you want to switch away from Armory at some point, you can "Backup Individual Keys" to write out all the private keys in your wallet and import them into another application.
-- I think some apps have even implemented Armory's paper backup code, so that you can plug it directly into that app and it will restore the keys. 

There's not very much risk involved, besides time wasted if it doesn't work on your system.  It's used to protect millions of dollars worth of BTC at this point.  I haven't touched Bitcoin-Qt or any other app in 12+ months.  A lot of other people haven't either.  The most important thing is to print or copy-by-hand a paper backup, and very little can go wrong.

EDIT: This message does not override the existing license you agree to when you run Armory.  Although Armory is extremely stable, and has never lost anyone's money, that doesn't mean it's impossible.  It's free software, it's still run at your own risk.  Please base your decision on its reputation in the community (such as being featured on bitcoin.org), and don't sue me if something goes wrong!

oakpacific

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 12:48:13 PM

Where have your screen keyboard posts gone, etotheipi? Anyway here is an idea, how about the kind of trick implemented by banks: produce an encrypted wallet and a list of symbols using a passphrase, print out the list in paper, each time when the user wants to access the wallet, he is prompted to pick a certain series of symbols from the paper, what do you think?

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 01:20:32 PM

Where have your screen keyboard posts gone, etotheipi? Anyway here is an idea, how about the kind of trick implemented by banks: produce an encrypted wallet and a list of symbols using a passphrase, print out the list in paper, each time when the user wants to access the wallet, he is prompted to pick a certain series of symbols from the paper, what do you think?

What do you mean?  It's one page back:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56424.msg1761230#msg1761230

As for your idea:  I think there's some good ideas out there, but I think they're not much benefit over the existing version.  Yes, you can make it harder it for someone to share their passphrase if you use symbols, or textures, etc.  But I don't think it's worth the effort.  With my limited time, I have to pick and choose my battles wisely, and I don't think that one is one I want to battle Undecided

oakpacific

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 01:29:21 PM

What do you mean?  It's one page back:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56424.msg1761230#msg1761230

As for your idea:  I think there's some good ideas out there, but I think they're not much benefit over the existing version.  Yes, you can make it harder it for someone to share their passphrase if you use symbols, or textures, etc.  But I don't think it's worth the effort.  With my limited time, I have to pick and choose my battles wisely, and I don't think that one is one I want to battle Undecided

Well, what I actually meant is it maybe effective against the keyloggers, seeing that you are actually interested in doing something with that.

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 01:32:11 PM
Last edit: April 09, 2013, 01:47:18 PM by etotheipi

What do you mean?  It's one page back:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56424.msg1761230#msg1761230

As for your idea:  I think there's some good ideas out there, but I think they're not much benefit over the existing version.  Yes, you can make it harder it for someone to share their passphrase if you use symbols, or textures, etc.  But I don't think it's worth the effort.  With my limited time, I have to pick and choose my battles wisely, and I don't think that one is one I want to battle Undecided

Well, what I actually meant is it maybe effective against the keyloggers, seeing that you are actually interested in doing something with that.

Oh, well for that the scrambled keyboard would seem to be the best solution, since it works with existing password systems.  The symbols technique would require creating a new password-based system... or at least new interfaces to create it.  

I guess the metric to use would be how much extra data does a really smart keylogger have to collect to circumvent this?  Screenshots after every keypress?  At this point, it's no longer a keylogger and just a virus, which if it's this smart, it can just wait until your wallet is unlocked and extract the encryption key from RAM Sad  

PS - Note that if you use the "dynamic" keyboard, the {shift} key is scrambled with everything else, and the keys re-randomize with every key press.  If you use the simple scrambled keyboard (which is randomized once), then something that records mouse click locations gets:

(1) Pressing the shift key is not obscured, so you lose one bit per character to the keylogger, which can now see "UULULLLU" where "U" is uppercase/shifted, "L" is lowercase/unshifted.   This is likely not enough to brute-force your passphrase, but it's still information leakage, and might make the difference between a weak-but-prohibitive passphrase, and one that is worth brute-forcing.
(2) If you have repeated letters in the passphrase, you further lose a little information with the simple keyboard.  i.e. if your passphrase is "9999999", then the recorder sees that your password is 7 instances of the same character.  

For the dynamic keyboard, repeated letters and shift presses, all look like different letters, to anything recording mouse-click locations.  It's optimal "scrambling", though I truly believe that anything in place that could exploit the simple keyboard, has enough to take your coins, anyway.

Presumably, what you suggested would provide similar benefits as the dynamic keyboard gives you, which is producing a "code" which doesn't have repeated characters and which does not have the equivalent of "shift" presses.  My point is that the dynamic keyboard achieves that for you.

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 02:41:59 PM

By the way, I just merged the managesatoshi branch, along with the frag/unfrag scripts into the testing branch.  This is a much better place to have people test it!

I think I'm going to try to get a Troubleshooting page up before release, and link to it in the program.  In all the testing so far, a couple problems keep popping up over and over.  Especially the corrupted database issue (which, it turns out, is caused by incompatible versions of BDB ... mostly a Linux problem using the PPA). 

Also, I found out that there is an option when running bitcoind, "-dbcache=<X, in MB>" where X is how much extra RAM you want to allocate for blockchain processing.  Increasing this value speeds up that initial download quite considerably.  I was already detecting system RAM, so I put in a condition to allocate an extra GB if you have 5+ GB of RAM, or 2GB if you have 10+ GB.   On my system, that initial download is probably twice as fast with the 2GB option.

oakpacific

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 03:34:29 PM

Thanks Alan, your point about virus just getting keys from RAM makes sense.

Presumably, what you suggested would provide similar benefits as the dynamic keyboard gives you, which is producing a "code" which doesn't have repeated characters and which does not have the equivalent of "shift" presses.  My point is that the dynamic keyboard achieves that for you.
That being said, I think it would be much easier to pick symbols from a paper and input them then using a dynamic keyboard....

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 07:28:37 PM

Thanks Alan, your point about virus just getting keys from RAM makes sense.

Presumably, what you suggested would provide similar benefits as the dynamic keyboard gives you, which is producing a "code" which doesn't have repeated characters and which does not have the equivalent of "shift" presses.  My point is that the dynamic keyboard achieves that for you.
That being said, I think it would be much easier to pick symbols from a paper and input them then using a dynamic keyboard....

I'm not sure I see the difference.  I'm using a 80-character alphabet of "symbols" to represent my password (they just happen to be the same symbols I have on my keyboard).  And I'm displaying those symbols on the screen.  The downside is those symbols are chosen by the user, and have this "shift" key artifact that reduces entropy if someone measures the shift key presses.  And if they have lots of duplicate characters.

But those "weaknesses" are solved by the dynamic keyboard.  I think the only difference is what it "looks" like.  And in the end, using my way (dynamically-changing keyboard), the person still has the option to type it in if they don't really care.

bit365

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 10:51:16 PM

Is there a way to save an image file of a QR code?

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 11:02:31 PM

Is there a way to save an image file of a QR code?

Not without taking a screenshot.  Though I was close to figuring out how to put images on the clipboard, but I never quite got it to work.

On the other hand, screenshots aren't so bad.  Both windows and linux, you should be able to <alt>-printscrn or <ctrl>-printscrn and it will put the window in focus on your clipboard which you can then copy into another application.

Pages: « 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ... 231 »
  Print  

Jump to: