Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:02:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 [1875] 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 ... 2122 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4666803 times)
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 4824

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 12:51:06 AM

So I've been thinking about this MoneroV fork problem. I saw the suggestion in a reddit thread about a tool that would allow monero users to specify ring signature inputs thus allowing us to sign with the same ring signature inputs that we used on the MoneroV blockchain.

I was wondering if anyone has given thought to a two pronged approach? We could additionally utilize a blacklist of ring sig inputs used on the forked chain. Some trusted team member could produce and update this blacklist. It could be a basic text file that we drag and drop into our monero directory. I know it would harm privacy to shrink the pool of available ring sig participants but we would only be blacklisting the ones used to produce the initial transaction on the MoneroV chain. So it would be a tiny tiny fraction of the ring signatures out there. Additionally new ring signature candidates are being produced constantly every 2 minutes every day.

It's a partial solution and an imperfect solution to a difficult problem but maybe worth considering.

Do you have a link to that thread? I don't know enough about this to have an opinion.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 01:28:31 AM

So I've been thinking about this MoneroV fork problem. I saw the suggestion in a reddit thread about a tool that would allow monero users to specify ring signature inputs thus allowing us to sign with the same ring signature inputs that we used on the MoneroV blockchain.

I was wondering if anyone has given thought to a two pronged approach? We could additionally utilize a blacklist of ring sig inputs used on the forked chain. Some trusted team member could produce and update this blacklist. It could be a basic text file that we drag and drop into our monero directory. I know it would harm privacy to shrink the pool of available ring sig participants but we would only be blacklisting the ones used to produce the initial transaction on the MoneroV chain. So it would be a tiny tiny fraction of the ring signatures out there. Additionally new ring signature candidates are being produced constantly every 2 minutes every day.

It's a partial solution and an imperfect solution to a difficult problem but maybe worth considering.

Do you have a link to that thread? I don't know enough about this to have an opinion.

Here you go. https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7x297t/careful_with_monero_forks_with_airdrops/du537ij/ It's a pretty simple to understand issue.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 4824

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 02:05:18 AM

Here you go. https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7x297t/careful_with_monero_forks_with_airdrops/du537ij/ It's a pretty simple to understand issue.

Thanks, reading it now. Smiley

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
ozkraut

Activity: 522
Merit: 266

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 10:40:42 AM

Thanks, reading it now. Smiley

so if all of us move their coins at the right time (t block) and then donate their old seed to the ffs / funding to claim the MnnnV with purpose of dump. would this alleviate some of the threat? Just dunno how many would play as it will reveal their prefork holdings to the donated to entity plus greed of course....anyhow ... thinking to find an advantage in the issue

Monero - Wir sind die Leute vor denen uns unsere Eltern gewarnt haben!
B1tUnl0ck3r

Activity: 854
Merit: 277

liife threw a tempest at you? be a coconut !

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 05:54:52 PM

txs fees are a joke! what are you doing it about it? how will ever small time miners be able to afford just the exit fee from their pools?

When the people of the world will get that covid was intentionally released to frame china, steal the election from trump, assure massive bail outs and foster the forced vaccination agendas...they will forget, like 911, wmds in irak, uss liberty or pedogate.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 06:04:45 PM
Last edit: February 15, 2018, 07:40:28 PM by Anon136

txs fees are a joke! what are you doing it about it? how will ever small time miners be able to afford just the exit fee from their pools?

I did a transaction last night and it was about 85 cents. That isn't THAT bad and bullet proofs are being worked on right now that will reduce fees by 80% or more.

When you make a transaction do it like this:
Code:
transfer unimportant [address] [amount] [transaction id]
It will then tell you how many blocks you can expect until your transaction is included. For me it's always 1. But make sure that what ever it tell you is acceptable for you.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 07:06:06 PM

See:

https://getmonero.org/2017/12/11/A-note-on-fees.html

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
cool4y

Activity: 494
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 08:36:39 PM

This thread is insanely long. Is monero superior compared to dash and zcash?
Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 08:48:13 PM

Long time since I've posted here.  Have been busy running my mining rigs and other crypto projects.  Can someone give me a State of the Union run down on Monero and what has been going on and what is coming up for the year?

Links or replies will work for me.  Hope everyone is well here.  This has always been my go to place for Monero news and problem solving. 

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 09:19:36 PM
Merited by notbatman (2), explorer (1), LennyCarl (1)

Dash has cheaper transaction fees right now so if you just wanna pay someone who accepts dash and you dont care about privacy than perhaps there are some situations where dash would be superior. However if privacy is your concern than yes it isn't even a comparison.

Dash just has a coin join style mixing. It has been shown to be broken. I cant seem to find that research paper right now can someone in this thread help me out? Additionally "privacy" is optional on dash meaning if you use it it looks suspicious making the currency not necissarily fungible in all cases. Oh also its a premine scam. It was released as X-Coin. At its inception the devs of X-Coin said they wouldnt start mining till the next day but actually started in secret before everyone else and additionally it mined some huge percentage of the currency supply in that first night. It then re-branded to DarkCoin a couple of days later to try to escape this debacle. And re-branded AGAIN to dash to presumably further distance its self. I don't remember all the specific figures but that's enough info to go on if you want to research it.

ZCash requires a trusted set up. Meaning if everyone involved in the innitial setup was reliable and trustworthy than it is safe (*edit* it uses really cutting edge modern not very well tested cryptography so maybe not even then). But if one of them was a bad actor than all supposedly "private" transactions can be discovered by him or who ever he gave the private information to. Additionally producing a private transaction is EXTREMELY computationally intensive. As I understand it it takes some peoples computer up to an hour to crunch all the numbers. Also the transactions are huge and so clog up the blockchain and are expensive to get included. This means the feature is rarely used and so again like I said with dash, has negative implications for fungibility.

So now for monero. Being as unbiased as possible I will try to critique it as well. Monero was pretty fairly distributed but there was a time in the early days when a guy had personally developed mining software that was more optimized than what anyone else had. It wasn't like with dash where he mined a third of the damned currency supply in a day. I think he had like 50% efficiency advantage over everyone else for like a month. Someone correct me with the specifics if you remember. It was nothing catastrophic but hes probably pretty rich now. Also we are currently facing the first real threat to our privacy right now in the form of an issue with ring signature input reuse on an up coming fork chain called MoneroV. If someone wanted to criticize us for having an issue there they wouldn't be wrong. Another criticism is that our transactions are rather large. I think around 13kb instead of like 250 bytes for a bitcoin transaction. This is actively being addressed though with a proposal called bullet proofs which will have probably about an 85% space savings. Maybe a great deal more more if implemented with batched transactions and people widely adopt and use batched transactions. Other than those issues monero has very strong privacy through the combination of several core features.

1) All transactions are forced to be private. This has an externalizing effect of improving everyone's privacy. Imagine it this way, if you have very well mixed coins, no one can trace them back to you, but then you send them to a known address that is a huge information leak on your end. It undermines a lot of the privacy that you gained by your therough mixing. On the extreme end, someone can go to the guy you sent to and use the 5 dollar wrench technique to find out who you are.

2) All amounts that are sent are unknown. Look at this random transaction from the block explorer https://moneroexplorer.com/tx/ec14e0f6c91966a5b899c49297a23f8e21e02716b517938c69740892d46e1990 Look at anywhere that it says ammount. It's just a "?".

3) All monero addresses are untraceable. That is to say there is no way to know who is receiving a given transaction.

4) All monero sending addresses are unlinkable. Ring signatures are used for this. A transaction is signed by several separate inputs. It is possible to know that one of those inputs is the true signatory and is valid but it is not possible to know WHICH of the inputs is the true signatory.

That was a lot of work so I hope you really care and weren't just exploiting some signature campaign. Or if you are than hopefully SOMEONE gets some value from it.

Nathan047

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 09:24:45 PM

If you're looking for anonymity, then yes,
Edit: Read the post above mine

I'm starting a technology blog T4CH.top, check it out!
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 09:26:02 PM

Long time since I've posted here.  Have been busy running my mining rigs and other crypto projects.  Can someone give me a State of the Union run down on Monero and what has been going on and what is coming up for the year?

Links or replies will work for me.  Hope everyone is well here.  This has always been my go to place for Monero news and problem solving. 

Multisig, sub-addresses, default fee reduction (what else?) in next month's fork.  Bulletproofs next fork after (massive reduction in tx size and fees)

monero hardware wallet soon, ledger nano s soon.

Our very own premine scam fork, moneroV soon.

network hash rate + GH/s

tons of media on web browser miners and 'crypto jacking' bot nets

That's a quick rundown off the top of my head.
Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 09:44:17 PM

Multisig, sub-addresses, default fee reduction (what else?) in next month's fork.  Bulletproofs next fork after (massive reduction in tx size and fees)

network hash rate + GH/s

Thank you. 

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
ozkraut

Activity: 522
Merit: 266

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 08:18:20 AM

Long time since I've posted here.  Have been busy running my mining rigs and other crypto projects.  Can someone give me a State of the Union run down on Monero and what has been going on and what is coming up for the year?

Links or replies will work for me.  Hope everyone is well here.  This has always been my go to place for Monero news and problem solving.  

Multisig, sub-addresses, default fee reduction (what else?) in next month's fork.  Bulletproofs next fork after (massive reduction in tx size and fees)

network hash rate + GH/s

Thank you.  

globee payment processor / merchands some time ago
xmr.to
android wallet

probably more

ah yeah: FluffyGate ....

Monero - Wir sind die Leute vor denen uns unsere Eltern gewarnt haben!
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 08:26:45 AM

Long time since I've posted here.  Have been busy running my mining rigs and other crypto projects.  Can someone give me a State of the Union run down on Monero and what has been going on and what is coming up for the year?

Links or replies will work for me.  Hope everyone is well here.  This has always been my go to place for Monero news and problem solving.  

Multisig, sub-addresses, default fee reduction (what else?) in next month's fork.  Bulletproofs next fork after (massive reduction in tx size and fees)

network hash rate + GH/s

Thank you.  

globee payment processor / merchands some time ago
xmr.to
android wallet

probably more

ah yeah: FluffyGate ....

Of course! The integration of XMR.to into the Monerujo Android wallet was epic!  Monero usability grows and grows!
haster100

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 11:03:34 AM

I have been a monero holder for a while, and it seems really undervalued. Anyone having privacy concerns should find interest in it.
Millionero

Activity: 806
Merit: 423

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 01:12:29 PM

FluffyGate ....
Which one?   Roll Eyes
sunnydmd

Activity: 294
Merit: 11

Blockchain with solar energy

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 05:13:38 PM

everything gold :')))
that's been a while since last time I notice XMR, price rise so quickly.
remember that time, when I chose XDN over XMR. and time pass out, XND still rise, but nowhere near XMR. . . make me fell sad so much
but now, ONION rise as very potential anonymous coin. . .
a little bit pointless comment but...any one see through ONION? please tell me your opinion.

EVERYONE can see through ONION.  It's blockchain is transparent.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg28075509#msg28075509
sorry that's my bad English Grin
I mean if anyone take a look at ONION

by the way. if it's blockchain is transparent so why they call it anonymity.
and thanks for information ^^

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  [   CRYPTOS⚫LARTECH    ]  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
  White Paper    ||  BLOCKCHAIN & ENERGY FOR A BETTER WORLD  ||    One Pager 
Telegram  Facebook  Twitter  [[   TOKEN SALE is LIVE   ]]  Medium  Youtube  Reddit
dzkrb1966

Activity: 602
Merit: 110

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 05:16:49 PM

Today I saw forecasts and Monero enters the 8 most promising coins for 2018. This is associated with the anonymity of transactions.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2018, 05:56:52 PM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

Hey Crypto People,

I've seen discussion about how using a unique ringsize (EG 41) is a problem for privacy.

Would it be possible to use CT/Pederson commits/range proof magical crypto stuff to hide the ringsize from everyone that doesn't need to know it?

I'm sure Confidential Ringsize is a silly idea, but would like to know exactly why. Tongue

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Pages: « 1 ... 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 [1875] 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 ... 2122 »
  Print  

Jump to: