Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:03:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 [2041] 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667433 times)
gembitz

Activity: 1834
Merit: 639

*Brute force will solve any Bitcoin problem*

View Profile
July 02, 2019, 03:02:36 PM

Sorry for veering off topic, just a heads-up in case any of you old CryptoNote goats are still holding some Boolberry from way back in the day: they can be swapped 1:1 to Zano (Zoidberg and teams' new project) for the next 27 or so days.

https://medium.com/@zano_project/coinswap-launch-b76e78192366

BBR will be maintained but Zano will be the main focus for development.

Cheers

book mm zano Wink lel

©2021*MY POSTS ARE STRICTLY FOR NOVELTY AND/OR PRESERVATION/COLLECTING PURPOSES ONLY!*It should not be regarded as investment/trading advice.*advocate to promote sharing and free software for the bitcoin community* #EFF #FSF #XTZ ===> START WITH NOTHING AND BUILD IT INTO SOMETHING!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JasonXIII

Activity: 106
Merit: 12

View Profile
July 02, 2019, 05:04:04 PM

Release of Exa Wallet — mobile wallet with multisignatures support:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/bwase5/release_of_exa_wallet_mobile_wallet_with/

First multisignature wallet if I am not mistaken. Did anyone try it already?
Hello I see it's for iOs and Android.
But it's only a mobile wallet? There is no desktop version?

Copied from the source:

— Mobile only? Any plans for a desktop app?

At this point, we're working on a fork of monero-wallet-gui to support the same workflow of multisignature wallets.
Great but no desktop version as of now so...

They plan to release a desktop version in the foreseeable future.
Do you know when exactly? There is an ETA? In short in 2020 or in 2025?
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
July 02, 2019, 06:18:27 PM

Release of Exa Wallet — mobile wallet with multisignatures support:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/bwase5/release_of_exa_wallet_mobile_wallet_with/

First multisignature wallet if I am not mistaken. Did anyone try it already?
Hello I see it's for iOs and Android.
But it's only a mobile wallet? There is no desktop version?

Copied from the source:

— Mobile only? Any plans for a desktop app?

At this point, we're working on a fork of monero-wallet-gui to support the same workflow of multisignature wallets.
Great but no desktop version as of now so...

They plan to release a desktop version in the foreseeable future.
Do you know when exactly? There is an ETA? In short in 2020 or in 2025?

They did not provide an ETA, but I am reasonably certain 2020 is way more likely than 2025 :-P

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Apprentice

Activity: 500
Merit: 105

View Profile
July 02, 2019, 06:22:14 PM
Last edit: July 02, 2019, 06:34:04 PM by Apprentice

Hi,

need help please.
I have sent XMR from GUI to a wrong address. payment is still pending since hours.
it is showing unknown recipient
Block height pending.
What can I do?

Thanks!
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2019, 07:56:40 PM

Hi,

need help please.
I have sent XMR from GUI to a wrong address. payment is still pending since hours.
Block height pending.
What can I do?

Thanks!

Did you send to an integrated address? Because those are displayed differently on the history page.

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Apprentice

Activity: 500
Merit: 105

View Profile
July 02, 2019, 07:59:21 PM
Merited by iCEBREAKER (2)

Hi,

need help please.
Block height pending.
What can I do?

Thanks!

Did you send to an integrated address? Because those are displayed differently on the history page.

Thanks!

note sure how it happens, the address is completely different.... been googling fr while and managed to fix it jsut 3 min ago by following the instruction under this link via the cli wallet

monero.stackexchange.com/questions/6649/transaction-stuck-as-pending-in-the-gui
igorttomic
Copper Member

Activity: 196
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2019, 08:16:31 PM

Why You Should Consider SPECTRECOIN and MONERO in 2019: https://www.publish0x.com/cryptotips/why-you-should-consider-spectrecoin-and-monero-2019-xykryn

Check out Publish0x BitcoinTalk ANN here. Publish0x is a crypto agnostic publishing platform on which both authors and readers earn crypto. Connect via Telegram - http://t.me/Publish0x
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2019, 09:58:39 PM

Hi,

need help please.
Block height pending.
What can I do?

Thanks!

Thanks!

note sure how it happens, the address is completely different.... been googling fr while and managed to fix it jsut 3 min ago by following the instruction under this link via the cli wallet

monero.stackexchange.com/questions/6649/transaction-stuck-as-pending-in-the-gui

Can you try these steps:

1. Go to this tool -> https://xmr.llcoins.net/addresstests.html

2. Put the original address in box 8. Public Address: 

3. Click Check Address

4. Check box 15. Standard XMR:

5. Does it match the address displayed in the GUI?

anubizz

Activity: 340
Merit: 124

View Profile
July 02, 2019, 10:36:05 PM

Same problem, but this time the error happened at 9% sync.  Huh
Seems to be a SSL problem...

Could you perhaps open a new issue on the Monero Github repository?

https://github.com/monero-project/monero/issues/new

I will have to create an account first. But u will do so when i have the time to.

Thanks.

Just to give a little update:

I did what you asked for and created an issue in github. I gave them all the information i was asked for and it seems that this is a problem that only happens to Armv7 devices.
But thats all i can say, as i did not really understand what happened Cheesy.
My coding skills are far below that level... Cheesy

But hopefully this is solved soon. I will wait a little bit now before i re-try...

HOSTTECH- vServers, Webhosting and colocation in the heart of Switzerland: https://www.hosttech.at/
freshfish

Activity: 2
Merit: 4

View Profile
July 03, 2019, 09:40:43 AM

Hello all!

Got a pretty noob and URGENT question with the payment id. I have sent a monero(exchange wallet) to my other monero wallet. And the exchange wallet requires a payment ID so i simply generated a random one from the mymonero.com web GUI. Now my Monero coins have yet to arrive for over an hour now.

Question is, is it ok to generate a random Monero payment ID when sending to another wallet? As I have read and understood this is a an ID simply to track the transfer of the coins. And the coins will still transfer with our without the ID or whatever string you input on the payment ID to the proper address.

Also how do you track Monero blocks? Because all I have from my exchange is the payment ID and no transaction blocks? And to be honest I am very worried about losing my coins!

Thanks for the enlightenment.
TheFuzzStone
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1442

thefuzzstone.github.io

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2019, 09:49:38 AM

Chicken_76

Activity: 56
Merit: 7

View Profile
July 03, 2019, 10:36:10 AM

Hello all!

Got a pretty noob and URGENT question with the payment id. I have sent a monero(exchange wallet) to my other monero wallet. And the exchange wallet requires a payment ID so i simply generated a random one from the mymonero.com web GUI. Now my Monero coins have yet to arrive for over an hour now.

Question is, is it ok to generate a random Monero payment ID when sending to another wallet? As I have read and understood this is a an ID simply to track the transfer of the coins. And the coins will still transfer with our without the ID or whatever string you input on the payment ID to the proper address.

Also how do you track Monero blocks? Because all I have from my exchange is the payment ID and no transaction blocks? And to be honest I am very worried about losing my coins!

Thanks for the enlightenment.

As a general rule, payment IDs are not necessary for transactions to go through, and if I'm not mistaken they will be deprecated in the next major version. Exchanges used to require them when receiving coins, so they know which user to credit with those coins. If you are sending the coins to a wallet you operate, you probably don't need a payment ID (unless you expect to receive the exact same amount from other sources too).
That being said, if the exchange's interface has a 'payment ID' field and they made it mandatory, there's nothing you can do about that.
If the exchange has indeed sent the coins, they could probably give you more information on the transaction, like in which block it was included. I would wait a bit and then contact their support.
freshfish

Activity: 2
Merit: 4

View Profile
July 03, 2019, 10:56:38 AM

As a general rule, payment IDs are not necessary for transactions to go through, and if I'm not mistaken they will be deprecated in the next major version. Exchanges used to require them when receiving coins, so they know which user to credit with those coins. If you are sending the coins to a wallet you operate, you probably don't need a payment ID (unless you expect to receive the exact same amount from other sources too).
That being said, if the exchange's interface has a 'payment ID' field and they made it mandatory, there's nothing you can do about that.
If the exchange has indeed sent the coins, they could probably give you more information on the transaction, like in which block it was included. I would wait a bit and then contact their support.

Thank you very very much Chicken_76 for clearing that out. Unfortunately the payment ID was mandatory. So I am safe? With inputting anything there?

I am crazy concerned because this is the 2nd exchange that has some issues sending out to an external wallet, my first exchange is still transfering the coins for some unknown reason for several days now and support just got back to me with a response they are looking at it. The transaction failed and no coins was refunded. And now this. Sad I always thought and had an impression transfers were automated.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2019, 11:42:37 AM
Merited by 7jaka7 (1)

GUI v0.14.1.0 'Boron Butterfly' (with Ledger Nano X and Trezor Model T support) released!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/c8eg6k/gui_v01410_boron_butterfly_with_ledger_nano_x_and/

Chicken_76

Activity: 56
Merit: 7

View Profile
July 03, 2019, 07:49:09 PM

Thank you very very much Chicken_76 for clearing that out. Unfortunately the payment ID was mandatory. So I am safe? With inputting anything there?

I am crazy concerned because this is the 2nd exchange that has some issues sending out to an external wallet, my first exchange is still transfering the coins for some unknown reason for several days now and support just got back to me with a response they are looking at it. The transaction failed and no coins was refunded. And now this. Sad I always thought and had an impression transfers were automated.

Adding a payment ID should not break transaction creation. I think they still work on the network if the wallet is started with a parameter to allow them, but they're very much on their way out.
As long as you entered your wallet's address correctly, you should be good. It's all in the hands of the exchange now.
Miro1764n

Activity: 232
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 03, 2019, 08:41:28 PM

GUI v0.14.1.0 'Boron Butterfly' (with Ledger Nano X and Trezor Model T support) released!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/c8eg6k/gui_v01410_boron_butterfly_with_ledger_nano_x_and/
Is this a mandatory update or not?
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2019, 08:58:24 PM

Is this a mandatory update or not?

No. There are a lot of new features and improvements though. Thus, I'd argue it is worthwhile to upgrade.

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2019, 09:43:50 PM
Merited by iCEBREAKER (1)

The second audit (by Kudelski Security) of RandomX has successfully been completed!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/c8scn0/randomx_audit_status/

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2019, 03:51:13 AM
Last edit: July 04, 2019, 04:02:50 AM by iCEBREAKER
Merited by pa (1)

Last Chance To Breathe: Why Monero Absolutely Must Implement Random-V

Digital tyranny is at our gates.  Intel, AMD, ARM, and Nvidia have Ring-0 vulnerabilities that software cannot ameliorate and free societies cannot tolerate.
The only practical strategy to forestall the emerging global digital tyranny is socioeconomic sovereign empowerment via private, permissionless communication and value-transfer networks running on end-to-end secure hardware.
In the beautific vision presented below, the two awful trends of digital tyranny and ASIC inevitability are set against each other, producing powerful harmonics sufficient to disrupt, defang, or domesticate both.

Given, in general to the world at large:

1. Indulging in the security theater of running FOSS on Ring-0 compromised/backdoored hardware is pointless, futile, and hypocritical.
2. There is a narrowing window of opportunity for FOSH to remain competitive with proprietary, state-actor backed, incumbent and dominant semiconductor firms.
3. There is only one FOSH project with the critical socioeconomic and technological mass needed to potentially represent a viable challenge to the evil oligoploy of Big Silicon.
4. That one potentially viable large scale (and thus perhaps world-saving) FOSH project is called RISC-V (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC-V).

Given, specifically to the narrow world of Monero:

5. Monero's infamous 'champagne problem' of ASIC Inevitability is logically entailed by sufficient economic success (and/or sufficiently motivated adversaries).
6. Choosing specific parameters for Random-X intrinsically favors one microarchitecture over others.
7. Attempts to equalize performance for [(Intel CPU vs AMD APU vs ARM SOC) vs (nVIDIA GPU vs AMD GPU)] requires continuous readjustment as new generations of tech evolve.
8. The very inconvenient governance structures required to actively manage equalization of these moving/divergent targets expose undesirable social and technological attack surfaces.

Thus, be it therefore resolved that:

Lack of performant and secure FOSH is an existential threat to Monero and all FOSS, and,
Monero as a project and culture must accept the inevitablity of ASICs while transmuting FUD into features, by means of tweaking Random-X to target the RISC-V open-source instruction set architecture, and,
Monero as a united community has the unique power, unique opportunity, and unique responsibility to align historially malincentivized ISA development with its absolute necessities for fast/secure FOSH and decentralized PoW secruity.

Conclusion
Rather than fuss endlessly with actively rebalancing Random-X performance in various proprietary micoarchitectures, Monero's PoW focus must shift to forcing all of them to emulate and optimize RISC-V instruction sets.
This arrangement passively creates competition to radically and rapidly improve the one singular open-source ISA which may be used to rebase critical infrastructure (servers, routers, PCs, SOCs, modems, etc) on FOSH.
As the hardware world is remade and rebased on RISC-V, all the things (smartphone, doorbell, smart-fridge, rescue drone, kill drone, anti-drone drone, Tesla, NAS, laptop, gaming rig, mainframe, etc) may mine XMR with priority accorded by user preference under local conditions.
This glittering futuristic world of all-the-things mining Random-V willy-nilly represents the closest possible approach to a perfectly free PoW market, which maximally preserves decentralization, antifragility, and permissionlessness.

Appendix
Random-V variants: tweaking word-width within a safe 'Can't Be Evil' libre paradigm
RISC-V currently supports 32, 64, and 128-bit register sets. There are proposals to implement variable-width instructions up to 864-bits.
This flexibility allows Random-V developers to retain the ability to create best-fit variants based on the facts on the ground (IE we can still nerf/brick particular RV ASIC monopolies) and/or the facts we wish to encourage becoming true.
To be determined is whether or not to use the same variant on every block forever, or to pre-program future forks to wider word widths, or even to vary word-width between blocks either randomly or deterministicaly.
EG, if 1/3 of blocks are RV-32, 1/3 are RV-64, and 1/3 are RV-128 that may encourage better coin distribution among embedded 32-bit native miners, phone/laptop based 64-bit native miners, and PC/mainframe based 128-bit native miners.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
July 04, 2019, 04:25:02 AM

Last Chance To Breathe: Why Monero Absolutely Must Implement Random-V

El breaker de ice, I rarely agree with you. Here I appreciate your sentiment, but there's literally nowhere you can buy a risc-v computer. This guy apparently needs an oscilloscope to build one:
https://abopen.com/news/building-a-risc-v-pc/

I am not a fan of randomx, for a variety of reasons, but I do think it would be cool to support open-source hardware. Is it really possible to optimize for random-v hardware though? I'm under the impression that there won't be much difference between x86 and ARM for randomx, would risc-v really be possible to gear towards and gain significant advantage over other CPU architectures?
Pages: « 1 ... 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 [2041] 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: