Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:03:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 ... 318 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] AEON: Scalable, private, mobile-friendly cryptocurrency  (Read 625085 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 11:30:55 AM

Just a note to say that my pool appears to be comfortably past 50% at the moment, and that while I'm not planning on 51%ing aeon, you wouldn't just trust some guy on the internet not to, right ?
While Arux's pool appears to be down, the daemon can solo mine, which should still be a reasonable option for large hash miners that can handle the RAM usage.

I think, also minergate is alive.

Seems to be yes. For a while they claimed to be up but their pool stats page was still broken. Now it appears to show a recently found block, so I guess it is fixed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CryptoClub
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

cryptocollectorsclub.com

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 03:06:44 PM

Just a note to say that my pool appears to be comfortably past 50% at the moment, and that while I'm not planning on 51%ing aeon, you wouldn't just trust some guy on the internet not to, right ?
While Arux's pool appears to be down, the daemon can solo mine, which should still be a reasonable option for large hash miners that can handle the RAM usage.

I think, also minergate is alive.

Seems to be yes. For a while they claimed to be up but their pool stats page was still broken. Now it appears to show a recently found block, so I guess it is fixed.

Sounds good, mining there now. Nice thing about Minergate is that anyone can easily set up and mine on most commonly used computers. 

As I like this one long term, CPU mining even makes sense. Smiley

VladimirN

Activity: 405
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 04:23:37 PM

We need in touch with minergate, it is the most convenient way of mining and a great community.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 07:50:28 AM
Last edit: August 29, 2015, 01:01:05 PM by smooth

Pruning update

I further reviewed the issues surrounding pruning and I was able to remove most of the limitations discussed in the previous update. A normal wallet will work even if you are offline for an arbitrary period of time (specifically longer than the pruning period of 10 000 blocks or about 28 days).

The only remaining limitation is that you will not be able to restore (or rescan) a wallet using a pruned node (this function will require an unpruned aka archive node). This is equivalent to the limitation of pruning in Bitcoin (which does not allow reindexing; essentially equivalent to our restore or rescan), although we are slightly ahead of Bitcoin in terms of functionality since they currently can't support a wallet at all in pruned mode

Block pruning is currently incompatible with running a wallet due to the fact that block data is used for rescanning the wallet and importing keys or addresses (which require a rescan.) However, running the wallet with block pruning will be supported in the near future, subject to those limitations.

I'm finishing the last of my own testing on the revised implementation and will be pushing a test release to github within 1-2 hours. I look forward to any and all test reports!

VladimirN

Activity: 405
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 10:35:00 AM

Pruning update

I further reviewed the issues surrounding pruning and I was able to remove most of the limitations discussed in the previous update. A normal wallet will work even if you are offline for an arbitrary period of time (specifically longer than the pruning period of 10 000 blocks or about 28 days).

The only remaining limitation is that you will not be able to restore (or rescan) a wallet using a pruned node (this function will require an unpruned aka archive node). This is equivalent to the limitation of pruning in Bitcoin (which does not allow reindexing; essentially equivalent to our restore or rescan), although we are slightly ahead of Bitcoin in terms of functionality since they currently can't support a wallet at all in pruned mode

Block pruning is currently incompatible with running a wallet due to the fact that block data is used for rescanning the wallet and importing keys or addresses (which require a rescan.) However, running the wallet with block pruning will be supported in the near future, subject to those limitations.

I'm finishing the last of my own testing on the revised implementation and will be push a test release to github within 1-2 hours. I look forward to any and all test reports!

We are waiting for news and will test.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 10:46:35 AM
Last edit: September 01, 2015, 01:55:37 AM by smooth

Pruning (aka Light Full Node) test release

This release optionally prunes the blockchain by dropping no-longer-needed information once it is processed and verified by your node. This reduces both memory and storage requirements, and perhaps more importantly reduces the rate at which both increase over time. With pruning enabled, the daemon continues to function as a full node on the network in nearly every way. I will be posting a FAQ to answer some other questions about the details of the pruning functionality.

Please test, especially if you have a smaller memory configuration. Very small memory configurations (<2 GB? -- I'm not sure) won't work with this, but if you have something that has been barely able to run the daemon previously, this should improve your performance quite a bit. Certainly some smaller-memory systems (at a minimum 3-4 GB of RAM, if not smaller) should be able to successfully run a node now. I'm not sure if any 32-bit operating systems can handle it, although it is possible.

Since converting an existing blockchain requires enough RAM to at least load it first, resyncing from scratch with the --pruning option may be a better option for smaller-memory systems until pruned bootstraps become available.

Instructions:

1. Copy your blockchain.bin file to blockchain-pruned.bin in the same location. The daemon uses different files to store the pruned and unpruned versions of the blockchain. Once testing is complete if you want to delete the unpruned blockchain to free up disk space that is fine, but I don't recommend it right away EDIT: there have been some issues with compatibility of the .bin files so I recommend backing up all of those files before using a test release.

git clone https://github.com/iamsmooth/aeon light-node
cd light-node
git checkout light-node
make etc.

3. Start node with the --pruning option. You should get a message at startup about the blockchain being pruned (this is done using the blockchain-pruned.bin file; your original blockchain.bin file is unchanged).

4. Exit node to save the pruned blockchain and reset RAM usage.

5. Start node again with the --pruning option.

6. If any problems occur you can switch back to unpruned (start daemon without --pruning)

Report any issues (or even if no issues)

Limitations: a pruned node can not be used to rescan or restore a wallet that is older than the pruning period (10 000 blocks, or about 28 days). Also, if a pruned node is disconnected from the network for more than the duration of this pruning period, it will potentially not be able to recover on its own, and will need to be resynced from scratch or with a bootstrap. The second restriction is fixable and can be addressed later. Otherwise it should be functionality complete.

Neither this test release nor the pruning feature is recommended for important nodes such as pools, exchanges, etc. Please continue to use the standard version at this time for those purposes.

Thanks for testing!
BoscoMurray

Activity: 450
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 12:46:25 PM

It's working on Ubuntu 14 x64. RAM usage down from 4.8GB to 2.4GB and blockchain file size down from 3.2GB to 1.7GB.
erok

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 12:53:49 PM

Pruning (aka Light Full Node) test release

This release optionally prunes the blockchain by dropping no-longer-needed information once it is processed and verified by your node. This reduces both memory and storage requirements, and perhaps more importantly reduces the rate at which both increase over time. With pruning enabled, the daemon continues to function as a full node on the network in nearly every way. I will by posting a FAQ to answer some other questions about the details of the pruning functionality.

Please test, especially if you have a smaller memory configuration. Very small memory configurations (<2 GB? -- I'm not sure) won't work with this, but if you have something that has been barely able to run the deemon previously, this should improve your performance quite a bit. Certainly some smaller-memory systems (at a minimum 3-4 GB of RAM, if not smaller) should be able to successfully run a node now. I'm not sure if any 32-bit operating systems can handle it, although it is possible.

Since converting an existing blockchain requires enough RAM to at least load it first, resyncing from scratch with the --pruning option may be a better option for smaller-memory systems until pruned bootstraps become available.

Instructions:

1. Copy your blockchain.bin file to blockchain-pruned.bin in the same location. The daemon uses different files to stored the pruned and unpruned versions of the blockchain. Once testing is complete if you want to delete the unpruned blockchain to free up disk space that is fine, but I don't recommend it right away

git clone https://github.com/iamsmooth/aeon light-node
cd light-node
git checkout light-node
make etc.

3. Start node with the --pruning option. You should get a message at startup about the blockchain being pruned (this is done using the blockchain-pruned.bin file; your original blockchain.bin file is unchanged).

4. Exit node to save the pruned blockchain and reset RAM usage.

5. Start node again with the --pruning option.

6. If any problems occur you can switch back to unpruned (start daemon without --pruning)

Report any issues (or even if no issues)

Limitations: a pruned node can not be used to rescan or restore a wallet that is older than the pruning period (10 000 blocks, or about 28 days). Also, if a pruned node is disconnected from the network for more than the duration of this pruning period, it will not be able to recover on its own, and will need to be resynced from scratch or with a bootstrap. The second restriction is fixable and can be addressed later. Otherwise it should be functionality complete.

Neither this test release nor the pruning feature is recommended for important nodes such as pools, exchanges, etc. Please continue to use the standard version at this time for those purposes.

Thanks for testing!

"the destruction of privacy widens the existing power imbalance between the ruling factions and everyone else" -- Julian Assange
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 11:17:23 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2015, 09:52:41 PM by smooth

Pruning FAQ

Q: What is pruning?

A: Pruning refers to removing unnecessary information from the blockchain once it is no longer needed.

Q: What are the advantages?

A: Pruning reduces the amount of storage needed for the blockchain. If the blockchain is loaded into RAM (which is the case in the current implementation), then it also reduces RAM usage. Finally, it also reduces the rate that these resources are consumed over time as the blockchain grows. In the current implementation, each time one new block is accepted, one old block is pruned, on average freeing up a large portion of the resources needed for the new block.

Q: How does pruning affect functionality?

A: The only inherent functional limitation of AEON's pruning is the inability to restore (also known as rescan) a wallet which was used for spending transactions. All other functionality including sending and receiving coins, mining, updating a wallet after any period of inactivity, cold storage, mining, etc. remain fully supported. There is a current limitation that after extended period of disconnection (>28 days) a node may have trouble resynchronizing with the network, and would need to be reset. This is not inherent and should be addressed later.

Q: Does pruning reduce the effectiveness of ring signatures for transaction privacy?

A: No, ring signatures and privacy are unaffected.

Q: How is pruning enabled and disabled?

A: Using the --pruning option on the daemon command line. With this option the daemon will prune the blockchain and will also switch from using the blockchain.bin file for storage to blockchain-pruned.bin. To switch an existing node into pruned mode, copy blockchain.bin to blockchain-pruned.bin before starting the daemon with --pruning. To switch pruning off, remove the --pruning option. Do not, however, copy blockchain-pruned.bin to blockchain.bin. This will not work. You will need to have an unpruned blockchain.bin file or resync unpruned from the network.

Q: How does AEON's pruning compare with Boolberry's pruning?

A: AEON prunes slightly more information from the blockchain, so the required storage is slightly smaller (given equivalent usage), though the difference is likely not particularly significant. BBR prunes the blockchain on the entire network while AEON prunes on each node individually (and only if pruning is enabled). This means that new nodes can come online faster with BBR, but those new nodes are unable to independently verify the entire blockchain. It is possible to download an unpruned BBR blockchain from a web site to independently verify it, but in that case the amount of data downloaded would be the same as AEON. It also means that every BBR node is able to serve the chain to new users but in AEON this function falls to nodes that are unpruned, also known as "archive nodes" (or alternately via a trusted bootstrap file).

Q: How does AEON's pruning compare with Bitcoin's pruning?

A: In Bitcoin 0.11, the same model of pruning is implemented as in AEON. That is, nodes prune blocks locally, after syncing from an unpruned chain and verifying the chain independently. Like AEON, Bitcoin pruned nodes can't rescan or reindex wallets. Bitcoin 0.11 does not support wallets on pruned nodes at all, so it currently has more limitations that AEON. Old Bitcoin blocks must be retrieved from unpruned archive nodes, as with AEON.

Q: What other coins implement pruning?

A: Other than Boolberry, Bitcoin, and possibly some coins which have inherited their implementation by being Bitcoin forks, no other coins implement pruning at this time.

Q: What's this about "archive nodes"? How can I run one?

A: When nodes connect to the network, they retrieve blocks from other nodes. If only blocks within the most recent 10 000 (approx.  28 days) are needed for syncing, even pruned nodes can provide them. However, in the case of nodes which are brand new (syncing from the genesis block) or which have been offline for >28 days, pruned nodes will be unable to supply the older blocks. Instead this task falls to unpruned nodes, also known as archive nodes. For the time being the project-run seed nodes will always run in unpruned mode, and others with sufficient RAM and storage space who wish to support the network are also encouraged to do so. To run an archive node, simply start the daemon in the normal manner, without the --pruning option.

Q: What are the numbers? How much does pruning reduce the amount of memory and storage needed?

A: The exact numbers will vary according to OS, compiler, etc. and also depend on the usage of the blockchain in the future. One early report from BoscoMurray stated, "RAM usage down from 4.8GB to 2.4GB and blockchain file size down from 3.2GB to 1.7GB"

Q: That doesn't seem like a big reduction. Why is the benefit not greater?

A: To explain why the reduction is not larger and understand what this means for the future, let's first review some basics of how a blockchain works.

Every time a coin is spent, a digital signature accompanies the transaction in order to show that the owner of that coin authorized spending it. Once this signature is checked, it is no longer needed. This is the largest portion of what is being pruned. In the cryptonote signature scheme (used by AEON), ring signatures used for anonymity, which means while a signature shows the coin owner authorized the transaction, unlike conventional signatures, it does not identify the specific coins being spent, and therefore does not allow tracing and analyzing the blockchain. As a side effect of this functionality, these signatures are much larger than ordinary digital signatures (a fact sometimes described as "cryptonote bloat"). Thus in AEON, pruning offers great benefit and eliminates the "cryptonote bloat".

So why is the savings not larger? Because in the early history of AEON, there was a very large number of very large transactions and many of those transactions did not using ring signatures. This happened for several reasons, including a major flaw in the early versions of cryptonote mining pool software. Thus, while the chain is relatively large, a relatively small amount of storage is saved by pruning the early transactions.

The newer transactions are a different story. The pool software flaw was fixed long ago, and most transactions now do use ring signatures. So the savings from pruning going forward should be much higher (perhaps 75-80%). Of course, since ring signatures are now being routinely used, it means that that actual anonymity of the coin in practice is greatly improved, and with pruning there is no long term storage cost (i.e. no "cryptonote bloat") for most nodes (other than archive nodes). We get the best of both worlds!

Q: What about a database or disk-based block storage? Doesn't that also reduce memory usage?

A: Storing the blockchain out-of-memory in a database or in cache files reduces memory usage but does not reduce storage usage nor reduce the rate of growth of storage usage over time. In AEON, the plan is to later support out-of-memory storage of the blockchain along with pruning, so memory usage will be further reduced, and storage usage will remain low and grow very slowly over time.
kazuki49

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 07:47:48 AM

Nice smooth job smooth, the RAM reduction is real, just imagine now AEON running with the LMDB databse... it will be perfect for smartphones and small devices indeed.
Schild_

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 11:30:27 AM

Nice smooth job smooth, the RAM reduction is real, just imagine now AEON running with the LMDB databse... it will be perfect for smartphones and small devices indeed.

I second that. Nice work.
SRBOOTH

Activity: 309

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 05:42:08 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2015, 06:02:28 PM by SRBOOTH

Is there a Windows compilation for the light version with pruning??

Is there a ccminer for cryptonight-light? ...excuse my ignorance but I have only been able to find the updated cpu miner through the threads.
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 06:20:35 PM

Is there a ccminer for cryptonight-light? ...excuse my ignorance but I have only been able to find the updated cpu miner through the threads.

There is a windows compilation for ccminer, but it didn't work for me. I've only been able to get it working for my 750tis using debian. Link is available here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=641696.msg11897727#msg11897727
SRBOOTH

Activity: 309

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 06:34:45 PM

There is a windows compilation for ccminer, but it didn't work for me. I've only been able to get it working for my 750tis using debian. Link is available here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=641696.msg11897727#msg11897727

Thanks I have 750 ti as well on Windows 7. I tried to run it and get :
"Unable to query number of CUDA devices! Is an nVidia driver installed?"
I mine all kinds of things so I know I should have any prerequisites unless you might be familiar with this? I scanned the thread link you gave and didn't see anything.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 07:01:16 PM

Not that I know of. Arux is on vacation in the wilderness or something so there won't be any official builds until he returns. Community members are invited the share them (with the usual warnings about trustworthiness).

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2015, 07:09:20 PM

interesting development with the pruning! Wish i could run the darn thing. Its still not under the 2 gigs necessary for my node boxes.

i'm curious about the information dropped during the pruning process... and also, in the pruned blockchain, are the pruned outputs still available for ring signature creation? Or does a user now simply have a limited amount of data to create a transaction from? This might be more information / detail than you have time for ... was there a whitepaper etc for this approach?

also re: no ring signatures in early Aeon - sorry to go off topic, but does this phenomenon carry over to monero and other cryptonote coins?

awesome work!!

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 07:32:30 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2015, 10:00:41 PM by smooth

interesting development with the pruning! Wish i could run the darn thing. Its still not under the 2 gigs necessary for my node boxes.

i'm curious about the information dropped during the pruning process... and also, in the pruned blockchain, are the pruned outputs still available for ring signature creation? Or does a user now simply have a limited amount of data to create a transaction from? This might be more information / detail than you have time for ... was there a whitepaper etc for this approach?

Outputs are not touched, only input-side data is pruned, but as mentioned in the FAQ, this is a large portion of the total and what constitutes most of the difference in size ("bloat") between cryptonote transactions and other coins with Bitcoin-style transactions (with the remaining difference from denominations, but with the offsetting reduction from Bitcoin's "bulky scripts" so it ends up being similar overall).

There is no white paper, but writing something up about how it works and committing it to git is a good idea. I'll take that as a (good) suggestion.

also re: no ring signatures in early Aeon - sorry to go off topic, but does this phenomenon carry over to monero and other cryptonote coins?

Yes exactly the same. The original version of the open source pool software paid every miner on every block regardless of hash rate. You can imagine what a mess that created, not only when paying the miners, but when the miners tried to move those small payments. All of the early cryptonote coins used the same pool software (with the exception of the portion of mining on minergate which had/has their own closed-source software).

awesome work!

Thanks!
myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 08:21:42 PM

I'm exchanging PMs with SRBOOTH to see if we can figure out why the ccminer binaries that I posted are not working for him.
@jwinterm, if I read correctly, you also had some trouble on Windows. In case you used the binaries that I had posted, do you recall what was the error on your end?

@smooth, awesome job on the pruning release! I've been happy solo mining, hitting at least one block per day, sometimes two. Need all the power we can have against nefarious Moooooooooo.  Grin  I'll see if I can build the pruning release and start testing that as well tonight.

jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 08:57:46 PM

I'm exchanging PMs with SRBOOTH to see if we can figure out why the ccminer binaries that I posted are not working for him.
@jwinterm, if I read correctly, you also had some trouble on Windows. In case you used the binaries that I had posted, do you recall what was the error on your end?

@smooth, awesome job on the pruning release! I've been happy solo mining, hitting at least one block per day, sometimes two. Need all the power we can have against nefarious Moooooooooo.  Grin  I'll see if I can build the pruning release and start testing that as well tonight.

When I try to launch the binary, I get a "MSCVR120.DLL is missing from your computer" error box popup, but I'm pretty sure I have all the microsoft redistributables installed, and regular ccminer works ok. It works fine when built from source on Ubuntu computer though.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 10:01:58 PM

Thanks for the words of support and for supporting the network.

Everyone else, please consider solo mining to your own wallet or use the --donate option when starting the daemon for easy solo mining to support the project.

Pages: « 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 ... 318 »
  Print  

Jump to: