Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:25:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 [261] 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 ... 318 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] AEON: Scalable, private, mobile-friendly cryptocurrency  (Read 625085 times)
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 07:52:03 PM

Has Smooth said anything about the Cryptonight Asic that appears to be coming out?  Monero is planning to fork in order to fight the asics coming out --- will Aeon be doing the same?

Dude, it's in the post immediately preceding yours...
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 07:55:56 PM

Has Smooth said anything about the Cryptonight Asic that appears to be coming out?  Monero is planning to fork in order to fight the asics coming out --- will Aeon be doing the same?

Nevemind, I went and read through everything on Redditt.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1439

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 01:08:44 AM

Has Smooth said anything about the Cryptonight Asic that appears to be coming out?  Monero is planning to fork in order to fight the asics coming out --- will Aeon be doing the same?

For argument's sake, isn't it good for Aeon's security and the price to have ASIC miners around? I know that it will centralize mining and the creation of mining hardware behind it, but would that not be a necessary sacrifice to have our investments grow?

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 06:40:31 AM

For argument's sake, isn't it good for Aeon's security and the price to have ASIC miners around? I know that it will centralize mining and the creation of mining hardware behind it, but would that not be a necessary sacrifice to have our investments grow?

Centralizing mining is not good for security (all else being equal, which in this case it is not; these issues are complex and there is not a clear universally-accepted answer either way).
jbmustaq

Activity: 445
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 04:26:55 PM

Hopefully you know what happens when difficulty is low or new coin is launched or even it's normal difficulty. It's always ASIC machine owners who have a last laugh as normal machines can't compare to them. When you say sacrifice that means you have good no. of coins and won't bother with high difficulty but think of miners like me who only has around 600h of power. where will the miners like us go when difficulty is damn high even now.

To me Asic machine and asic miners are pest for a network as they are not helping the network but themselves.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 12:33:50 AM

@smooth. But to date, it has been going ok in bitcoin. Some would also argue that it's the big Chinese mining farms carrying its market cap to new highs after every halving because it is in their self interest to do so.

I reckon Siacoin is embracing Asics and so does Decred. Why is this? What do they see that the rest do not?

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 12:42:50 AM
Merited by bbc.reporter (1)

@smooth. But to date, it has been going ok in bitcoin. Some would also argue that it's the big Chinese mining farms carrying its market cap to new highs after every halving because it is in their self interest to do so.

I reckon Siacoin is embracing Asics and so does Decred. Why is this? What do they see that the rest do not?

Yes, ASICs have been doing fine for Bitcoin, but (at least mostly) non-ASICs have been doing fine for Monero, Ethereum, Zcash, etc., and there are also a bunch of dead or near-dead SHA256 coins that aren't doing fine despite the existence of ASICs which could mine them.

The "doing fine" argument doesn't get very far really.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 10:54:49 AM
Merited by bbc.reporter (1), Elder III (1)

In the case of Siacoin, it was the devs starting a company to sell ASICs, a clear conflict of interest.

I haven't followed Decred.

Regardless of the shadiness demonstrated by the Sia devs (which reduces their credibility on the matter in my view significantly, even if they may happen to be right), there is certainly a pro-ASIC point of view that is not without merit.

You might want to review this discussion https://github.com/monero-project/monero/issues/3387 (BTW, This is a Monero issue. Please do not spam discussion of AEON there.)

I'm mostly neutral but if the community wants to change PoW then its fine with me. My mild bias is to continue tracking whatever Monero does and minimize code changes and also the possibility that AEON could be attacked by reject Monero ASICs.

bbc.reporter
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 03:48:05 AM

I just read about Siacoin and Bitmain. The Sia developers are only shady for not allowing an open market for the creation of Asics. They want to corner the market like Bitmain hehehe.

But at least Bitmain did it fair and square. They were simply better than everyone else.

In any case, Aeon. We know Asic manufacturers are profit driven and it would be against their self interest to destroy a coin. Maybe it would be a good test drive on what happens if Asics went in and mined a cryptonote coin?

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 03:48:45 AM

In the case of Siacoin, it was the devs starting a company to sell ASICs, a clear conflict of interest.

I haven't followed Decred.

Regardless of the shadiness demonstrated by the Sia devs (which reduces their credibility on the matter in my view significantly, even if they may happen to be right), there is certainly a pro-ASIC point of view that is not without merit.

You might want to review this discussion https://github.com/monero-project/monero/issues/3387 (BTW, This is a Monero issue. Please do not spam discussion of AEON there.)

I'm mostly neutral but if the community wants to change PoW then its fine with me. My mild bias is to continue tracking whatever Monero does and minimize code changes and also the possibility that AEON could be attacked by reject Monero ASICs.

In my semi-literate opinion on the subject at hand I believe that asics are the antithesis of what AEON is about. I'm not fond of asics in general, but I don't completely hate them either. They have a place, but not with AEON (or any similar crypto coins).
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 10:21:57 AM

I just read about Siacoin and Bitmain. The Sia developers are only shady for not allowing an open market for the creation of Asics. They want to corner the market like Bitmain hehehe.

That was certainly worse, but I don't agree that's when it started. As soon as they decided to start their own ASIC company they lost the ability to be unconflicted on development decisions. As you say, they made a lot of arguments about how good ASICs are for a coin. Maybe those arguments were sincere but we can never know because the way they set things up they had a huge incentive to "sell" ASICs to the community (because, quite literally, they were selling their own product).

Anyway, this is kind of off topic to AEON.

BTW, I have no interest in any mining companies Smiley
estenity

Activity: 1918
Merit: 535

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 07:37:54 PM

2 dev meetings showing a good cooperation and high interest in aeon development..
zhugy78

Activity: 304
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 05:18:01 AM

Many people think that AEON still has great potential, is now in the very period, hope that the project will be up.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 02:23:32 AM

That was certainly worse, but I don't agree that's when it started. As soon as they decided to start their own ASIC company they lost the ability to be unconflicted on development decisions. As you say, they made a lot of arguments about how good ASICs are for a coin. Maybe those arguments were sincere but we can never know because the way they set things up they had a huge incentive to "sell" ASICs to the community (because, quite literally, they were selling their own product).

Anyway, this is kind of off topic to AEON.

BTW, I have no interest in any mining companies Smiley

I just read your proposal for an ASIC-friendly Monero. I agree with points 1, 4 and 6 and I reckon it might be easier to do this in Aeon than Monero. Fluffypony has already been very vocal about breaking ASICs and nothing will change that. He also has the community backing him up.

On Aeon. We know that it will always be living in the shadow of Monero, so why not take the leap and be open to ASICs?

Aeon can act as a testbed and it can protect Monero at the same time.

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Haynes

Activity: 518
Merit: 106

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 02:46:57 PM

Many people think that AEON still has great potential, is now in the very period, hope that the project will be up.

Why do you think like that Huh
Everything is still running smoothly.
The AEON project is the only rare project.
makko91

Activity: 143
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 03:06:45 PM

Is there any other project that can be dangerous for AEON ?

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion  ✔  Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency  ✔  TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️    ★    ✔ VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
bgibso01
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 04:12:46 PM

Is there an easy tutorial available to do CPU and GPU mining combine on VPS servers
i will be using Ubuntu OS
boomboombazookajeff
Copper Member

Activity: 234
Merit: 1

https://twitter.com/bazookajeff

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2018, 12:01:00 AM

Is there any other project that can be dangerous for AEON ?

There are a few but a lot of them are premine scams. AEON is doing its own thing rather nicely so there is no need for FUD.

The source from which existing things derive their existence is also that to which they return at their destruction.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 02:01:53 AM

Aeon Community Announcement: Vote for AEON to be listed on CryptalDash.com Exchange.

Aeon has been featured in the New Coin Listing Competition, this is your chance to grow the market cap and liquidity pool of Aeon.

Support your coin by voting now, voting ends in 10 days.(Aeon is currently in last place with 0 votes)

https://www.cryptaldash.com/new-coin-listing

Done. Aeon needs more exposure on any exchange, whether it can offer high volume or not. It is also very obvious that we are so behind the other altcoins in development and market exposure. I reckon embracing ASIC mining might vitalize Aeon and propel it to the top 50 of Coinmarketcap.

Does anyone else accept smooth's proposal for ASIC-friendliness?

https://github.com/monero-project/monero/issues/3387

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
boomboombazookajeff
Copper Member

Activity: 234
Merit: 1

https://twitter.com/bazookajeff

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2018, 04:32:23 AM

Aeon Community Announcement: Vote for AEON to be listed on CryptalDash.com Exchange.

Aeon has been featured in the New Coin Listing Competition, this is your chance to grow the market cap and liquidity pool of Aeon.

Support your coin by voting now, voting ends in 10 days.(Aeon is currently in last place with 0 votes)

https://www.cryptaldash.com/new-coin-listing

Done. Aeon needs more exposure on any exchange, whether it can offer high volume or not. It is also very obvious that we are so behind the other altcoins in development and market exposure. I reckon embracing ASIC mining might vitalize Aeon and propel it to the top 50 of Coinmarketcap.

Does anyone else accept smooth's proposal for ASIC-friendliness?

https://github.com/monero-project/monero/issues/3387

It hasn't been feasible for me to mine with my GPUs for ages. What would really change for normal miners anyways? This could be the future for AEON - albeit not what I originally wanted (since I am largely against ASICS).

The source from which existing things derive their existence is also that to which they return at their destruction.
Pages: « 1 ... 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 [261] 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 ... 318 »
  Print  

Jump to: