Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 11:10:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 [835] 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032123 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 05:18:06 AM

in my Twitter conversation with @Truthcoin today, it's so clear that all he wants to do is tap into "mobile Bitcoin" for the value sapping.  he doesn't care that the BTC converted to Cashcoin or whatever shitcoin is involved with Truthcoin is put at risk.  he sees SC's as a way to exploit Bitcoin.

i suggest every other altcoin will attempt the same bolt on strategy.

I also have the feeling he is using the peg as a "risk-adverse" aspect when in fact he has no plan to peg 1:1. Oh well... fools.. money..parted

I don't get the 1:1 thing.  It doesn't really matter what the ratio is, so long as it is a ratio that is communicated clearly and is not alterable, yes?
It could be 1:100, 1:2, or 10:1, and when you return to the MC it reverses.

don't know but i suppose he could change it and trap ppl inside.

the other thing he was making a big deal about is that he insists the transfer goes like this  BTC-->CC as opposed to BTC-->scBTC-->CC.  as if that makes a difference  Roll Eyes  but from a technical standpoint, i think it was notme who said there had to be essentially 2 tx's to accomplish the transformation to a new coin as in the latter example.  anyone know?

and as far as TC is concerned, it's not so much about the it being an altcoin, it's about the fact that most of the assets offered are speculative and subject to losses.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 06:52:35 AM

in my Twitter conversation with @Truthcoin today, it's so clear that all he wants to do is tap into "mobile Bitcoin" for the value sapping.  he doesn't care that the BTC converted to Cashcoin or whatever shitcoin is involved with Truthcoin is put at risk.  he sees SC's as a way to exploit Bitcoin.

I also have the feeling he is using the peg as a "risk-adverse" aspect when in fact he has no plan to peg 1:1. Oh well... fools.. money..parted

I don't get the 1:1 thing.  It doesn't really matter what the ratio is, so long as it is a ratio that is communicated clearly and is not alterable, yes?

the other thing he was making a big deal about is that he insists the transfer goes like this  BTC-->CC as opposed to BTC-->scBTC-->CC.  as if that makes a difference  Roll Eyes  but from a technical standpoint, i think it was notme who said there had to be essentially 2 tx's to accomplish the transformation to a new coin as in the latter example.  anyone know?

and as far as TC is concerned, it's not so much about the it being an altcoin, it's about the fact that most of the assets offered are speculative and subject to losses.
I watched that twitter dialog.  They sure got grumpy quickly.
Only two chains are required.  It can be more chains, and more transactions but the minimum would be:

1) a transaction on the MC locking the assets
2) a transaction on the SC whose inputs contain a cryptographic proof that the lock was done correctly (and thereby creating the SC asset).

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 07:01:30 AM

Oh yes, (developer + miner) integrity is needed.
And there are a bajillion possible scams with new block chains, we've seen a lot of those in alt-land, but the ratio is immaterial to that.

So... no reason it can't be 1BTC:100scBTC on the way in and 100scBTC:1BTC on the return.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 07:08:23 AM

How much did David Chaum have solved at Digicash/eCash?

Some of the notes on the relevant wikipedia pages suggest he had double-spending solved:

Depending on the payment transactions, one distinguishes between on-line and off-line electronic cash: If the payee has to contact a third party (e.g., the bank or the credit-card company acting as an acquirer) before accepting a payment, the system is called an on-line system.[2] In 1990, Chaum together with Naor proposed the first off-line e-cash system, which was also based on blind signatures.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecash

In 1988, he extended this idea (with Amos Fiat and Moni Naor) to prevent double-spending.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Chaum

Anyone have any more info on this? Was eCash's remaining problem merely initial-coin distribution, or was BGP actually not (practically) 'solved' despite the above?

I moved the question and my comments on it into another thread in dev/tech section https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=856069.msg9526439#msg9526439 as its not really to do with speculation nor gold, though an interesting question!

Adam

so you've been snooping on our sidechains debate all along heh  Cheesy

Adam already posted here on nov the 1st:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68655.msg9405925#msg9405925

he had tried to clarify some aspect of the sidechains concept (2wp, atomic swaps, etc. etc). But maybe you and cypher were to busy arguing about sc effect on bitcoin economy :-)

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
Fabrizio89

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 07:21:46 AM

And again gold is going down suffering from the strong us dollar, while Bitcoin shows it doesn't care at all and just wants to go its way. The next year will be very interesting, and I'm confident I did a good thing by still not buying gold. Smiley
sickpig
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 07:23:40 AM

Yes.

Most people use 1:1 ratio whe explaining sc just for the simplicity of it.

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 07:40:32 AM

Yes.

1:1 means you get the same amount of bitcoins out as you put in for the same amount of SC. It means the SC doesn't inflate in relation BTC.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
sickpig
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 08:28:37 AM

Yes.

1:1 means you get the same amount of bitcoins out as you put in for the same amount of SC. It means the SC doesn't inflate in relation BTC.

Could you please explain to me why a fixed/time invariant 1:n ratio should inflate the native sidechain coin(1)? (serious question)

(1) I'm taking into consideration only sidechain where there's no other way to "introduce" sc coins rather than  2wp or atomic swaps (aka no coin rewards for new mined block only txs fee)

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 11:12:18 AM

the other thing he was making a big deal about is that he insists the transfer goes like this  BTC-->CC as opposed to BTC-->scBTC-->CC.  as if that makes a difference  Roll Eyes  but from a technical standpoint, i think it was notme who said there had to be essentially 2 tx's to accomplish the transformation to a new coin as in the latter example.  anyone know?

Only two chains are required.  It can be more chains, and more transactions but the minimum would be:

2) a transaction on the SC whose inputs contain a cryptographic proof that the lock was done correctly (and thereby creating the SC asset).

So, BTC--->scBTC --->CC is the correct way to think about it as we have consistently been doing here for the last 200 pages?
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 01:13:52 PM

I watched that twitter dialog.  They sure got grumpy quickly.

So, BTC--->scBTC --->CC is the correct way to think about it as we have consistently been doing here for the last 200 pages?

That nomenclature is going to be new to them unless they read it here like you suggested to them, so their confusion is understandable.  
They are likely just thinking of it in terms of just the Bitcoin block chain and the Truthcoin block chain with the convertible asset created by the locking of the bitcoin being the CC.
The nomenclature we are using here is a bit unusual.  (we use MC for main chain, block stream uses "parent chain" and "child chain" or "sidechain").

The blockstream paper considers the sidechain as "also Bitcoin" which seems a bit disingenuous to me.  

Quote from: blockstream paper
Generally we can think of the parent chain as being Bitcoin and the sidechain as one of many other blockchains. Of course, sidechain coins could be transferred between sidechains, not just to and from Bitcoin; however, since any coin originally moved from Bitcoin could be moved back, it would nonetheless remain a bitcoin.
I don't favor much of the language used in their paper.  ("peg" being another example, but that is an old battle lost long ago)

This 1:1 peg being used to mean "a static conversion rate at any ratio" also seems bizarre in that it includes a 1:10 with 10:1 return rate?  

brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 02:21:58 PM

[/quote]

No, not in the way you suggest where everyone on a sidechain could either hold scBTC or CC.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 02:46:28 PM

No, not in the way you suggest where everyone on a sidechain could either hold scBTC or CC.
[/quote]

In our long used sequence as above, perhaps I should have clarified that the scBTC that emerges from the peg can ride the TC SC for as long as it wants before converting in some unknown ratio to CC? That makes it conceptually correct, right?  
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 03:04:13 PM

Of course but no matter the wants or need of people, open source will allow for whatever option that fills that niche in the most legitimate way to win over the userbase in the long run.

I understand your concerns but at the end of the day my bet is the value created will far outweight the negatives.

i just want to make another point here.  the only part of the SC process that we should expect to be OS is the 2wp or SPVproof itself.  OS is not required for the way the SC decides to run itself which is dependent on its developer.  for me, thinking of these for profit SC companies as circles helps envision a self encapsulated, potentially closed opaque system within which rides an unknown blockchain ledger to which your valuable BTC will be transferred at your own risk.
brg444

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 03:15:14 PM

In our long used sequence as above, perhaps I should have clarified that the scBTC that emerges from the peg can ride the TC SC for as long as it wants before converting in some unknown ratio to CC? That makes it conceptually correct, right?  
[/quote]

But I don't think that is the case no. I believe the process NL is describing above :

..is completed automatically in a "seamless" matter. What I mean by that is I don't believe the user gets to choose whether the SC asset is created or not. Maybe I'm wrong and then someone can correct me..

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 03:19:18 PM

But I don't think that is the case no. I believe the process NL is describing above :

..is completed automatically in a "seamless" matter. What I mean by that is I don't believe the user gets to choose whether the SC asset is created or not. Maybe I'm wrong and then someone can correct me..
[/quote]

well, we know i must be correct about this b/c the whitepaper talks specifically about how other assets can be created on the SC that are independent to the scBTC emerging from the peg but are not interchangeable for scBTC (which would allow them to leak back into BTC).
brg444

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 03:19:33 PM

Of course but no matter the wants or need of people, open source will allow for whatever option that fills that niche in the most legitimate way to win over the userbase in the long run.

I understand your concerns but at the end of the day my bet is the value created will far outweight the negatives.

i just want to make another point here.  the only part of the SC process that we should expect to be OS is the 2wp or SPVproof itself.  OS is not required for the way the SC decides to run itself which is dependent on its developer.  for me, thinking of these for profit SC companies as circles helps envision a self encapsulated, potentially closed opaque system within which rides an unknown blockchain ledger to which your valuable BTC will be transferred at your own risk.

Not required, maybe. Expected? certainly.

The point is people can now choose between transparent and opaque systeme without any tradeoff in feature.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think the majority will willingly transfer their wealth to a system that essentially recreates the closed, centralized financial institutions/services that the openness of the blockchain as made irrelevant.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 03:24:52 PM

brg444, what larger economic/political effects do you think a Silk Road SC will have on Bitcoin?
brg444

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 03:27:10 PM

well, we know i must be correct about this b/c the whitepaper talks specifically about how other assets can be created on the SC that are independent to the scBTC emerging from the peg but are not interchangeable for scBTC (which would allow them to leak back into BTC).

You're speaking of two different scenarios and, I believe, getting confused by NL's use of the term "SC asset"

My impression is he is in fact referring to what we refer to as scBTC.

So you cannot generalize the process as BTC--->scBTC --->CC. This situation only applies to issued assets on top of the blockchain.

brg444

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 03:29:01 PM

brg444, what larger economic/political effects do you think a Silk Road SC will have on Bitcoin?

Positive economic effect.

Irrelevant politically. Are politicians getting after TCP/IP because of Silk Road?

Comeon now, you know well we are creating the internet of value here.Like the internet politicians will quickly realize they are powerless in the face of innovations built on top of the Bitcoin protocol.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 03:32:39 PM

You're speaking of two different scenarios and, I believe, getting confused by NL's use of the term "SC asset"

My impression is he is in fact referring to what we refer to as scBTC.

So you cannot generalize the process as BTC--->scBTC --->CC. This situation only applies to issued assets on top of the blockchain.

but of course, my question doesn't apply to your "utility" chains where there is no new asset/coin generated.

but just to finalize and be clear, by "blockchain", you mean SC.
Pages: « 1 ... 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 [835] 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: