Bitcoin Forum
September 23, 2017, 11:54:47 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.0.1  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 [872] 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 ... 1558 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 1980374 times)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 07:29:13 PM

-

the only thing i would say to your response it that the centralized trust problems we've had in the last 5 yrs are going away.  exchanges are being more regulated and investment funds are holding them more accountable.  Merkle tree audits are becoming commonplace to verify reserves.

my long term vision is that more and more trade is conducted directly in Bitcoin with merchants holding BTC, like Overstock, and paying suppliers in BTC.  that is happening.  you can see the progress with time if you've been paying attention.  the ultimate goal is to bring everything into the Bitcoin system. it will take time but it is clearly moving in the right direction.

but for this to happen, the Bitcoin system has to remain impenetrable, not only from the outside, but from the inside.  as in not introducing a breech in to the source code which acts like an offramp, leak, or siphon of value. 

the higher level i go to when viewing this SC dynamic, the easier it is to see what the problems are.  for me at least.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 07:39:06 PM

why do ppl, including myself, always say that Bitcoin is going to have a binary outcome?

it's b/c they understand that Bitcoin is about Money.  Sound fixed supply Money.  you know, the Money that has the chance to consume the Forex and gold markets.  in that sense, it has the chance to consume the entire fiat world; yes including stocks, bonds, insurance, just by being used as money alone.  it doesn't have to incorporate all those speculative assets directly within its protocol using SC's.  
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 07:40:28 PM

I would be against SCs if they broke sound money.  But they don't.  Gold is still sound money even though paper gold exists.

I didn't say "that we should trust Blockstream devs to incorporate any popular function back into the MC".  In fact I am scared that Blockstream will release their SC-capable test alt-coin and never "bother" to merge it back.  

With altcoins we have that fear.  But with Sidechains we don't even have to merge popular functions back into the MC, because they use a token scBTC that is pegged to BTC.  So if the sidechain becomes popular, it creates demand for BTC to be locked and represented by scBTC which drives up the price of BTC.

The real "off-ramp" here is if that peg doesn't exist.  Because then someone must SELL BTC to buy the altcoin.

USD use internationally increases the value of a dollar without us having to import every foreign product to America.  Flying to the EU and exchanging your USD for Euros does not increase the dollar.  The Bitcoin blockchain will remain the "gold" standard, the authoritative source.  You fear that some sidechain will "take over" by getting (say) 90% of the market.  How is that going to happen if that sidechain isn't distributed, open source, transparent, sound money?  Nobody would move their coins.  But if a sidechain is invented that is truly better than BTC in all respects then at least you can always move your BTC to it at any time.  There's no rush because BTC will always == scBTC.

But if an altcoin does the same thing, you'll have missed the boat.

There's no stopping "off-ramps" and its counter to the purpose of money (to facilitate trade) to do so so we shouldn't try.  If someone wants to sell BTC for GOOG they will do so.  The difference is can you do it directly or do you have to go thru USD first?  In other words, is BTC the most liquid most usable currency or will it still be USD?  And can you transfer it in a revolutionary trustless p2p fashion or do you need the old centralized intermediary model that has spawned the current highly flawed overly powerful financial system?

This has nothing to do with Austrian vs. Keynes or sound money.  Its about making BTC a better sound money...

Compared to the problems I had with cypherdocs arguments, what thezerg says above is very easy for me to understand and agree with... so I'm starting to lean that way because I'm lazy Wink

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 07:48:10 PM

The more I understood the problem, the more clear it became, there is no waste, a Hard money will create efficiency in all other areas of the economy, and these efficiencies will come in waves that ripple through the economy, most product lines take years to plan and build, each stage will have 4 years to adjust and plan for, and there will be 2 cycles one of growth in Bitcoin value, flowed by a decline in bitcoin value and a growth in economy, this cycle will go on until the transformation hits equilibrium.

you just blew my mind. That is some cool view and it might be pretty realistic. Thanks, very insightful!

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
brg444

Activity: 644

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 07:53:54 PM

-

the only thing i would say to your response it that the centralized trust problems we've had in the last 5 yrs are going away.  exchanges are being more regulated and investment funds are holding them more accountable.  Merkle tree audits are becoming commonplace to verify reserves.

my long term vision is that more and more trade is conducted directly in Bitcoin with merchants holding BTC, like Overstock, and paying suppliers in BTC.  that is happening.  you can see the progress with time if you've been paying attention. the ultimate goal is to bring everything into the Bitcoin system. it will take time but it is clearly moving in the right direction.

Centralized trust problems do not go away with regulations and more oversight. They can only be reduced by removing the necessary trust. Centralized solutions are in fact becoming more common place and will only expand their place in the ecosystem precisely because of the demand for them.

Your ultimate goal is quite simply unachievable with the Bitcoin ecosystem staying as it is. Sidechains are effectively the more promising tool to enable this very thing you so desire.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 07:55:48 PM

-

imo, introducing the spvp into the source code, by itself, is a statement to the market that the BTC unit can be separated from its ultra-secure blockchain.  i might be wrong, but that breaks Bitcoin's sound money principles.  yes, ppl can inspect what hopefully will be open source code and don't have to move to a SC they don't like.  but to me, the potential will be there and as a forward looking person, i don't like that.  i might have to front run using my expectations and assumptions of what will be the consequences.

the other reason i don't like it and which i tried to avoid in my earlier post is the Blockstream for profit motive.  they have every incentive to encourage usage of SC's.  they say they won't construct a SC for a SC scam.  well, that's for anyone's definition.  and when there's money involved, i can't see how they won't take it when they have investors to please.  they can always use the same excuse after a SC failure "well, we didn't force anyone to use it".  yes, it bothers me that 40% of core devs + 3 of the top committers are under one paid roof.  that they could get something like this through into the source code is a clear conflict of interest and sends a bad message to the marketplace.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 07:57:20 PM

why do ppl, including myself, always say that Bitcoin is going to have a binary outcome?

it's b/c they understand that Bitcoin is about Money.  Sound fixed supply Money.  you know, the Money that has the chance to consume the Forex and gold markets.  in that sense, it has the chance to consume the entire fiat world; yes including stocks, bonds, insurance, just by being used as money alone.  it doesn't have to incorporate all those speculative assets directly within its protocol using SC's.  

As much as a despise of what Gates said (in my words: "the blockchain tech is great, but as a money it's not so good"), you have to admit that the features 'decentralized', 'trustless', 'possibly anonymous' and 'uncensorable' are ones that would also be damn good features for stock exchange / dividend payments / all kinds of derivative gambling, ownership management, etc.

If you want Bitcoin (the money) to conquer these areas and serve them as a liquid interchange money, wouldn't it be brilliant to have a technical solution that would allow some asset ledger (say the land ownership ledger) to interchange value with the money ledger (Bitcoin) and make atomic swaps across the chains possible?

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1162

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2014, 07:58:42 PM

• they try to change Bitcoin.  change it by changing the source code which breaks the Sound Money function. [...] that is what the spvp does, it creates an offramp into all manner of these assets.
      So you're saying that a part of the real BTC is being chopped off and managed by a different source code base? The rules for the 1 million scBTC are different than for the original BTC? If so, I agree so far. What I don't understand: people will know this. scInflateBTCx2 has a public ledger and is run by miners using open source code. Why would anybody 'convert' 10 BTC to 10 scInflateBTCx2 knowing full well that scInflateBTCx2 runs a fractional reserve system and the guy with the other 10 scInflateBTCx2 will have his exchanged for 10 BTC half a microsecond later. There would be a continual run on the real BTC... it just wouldn't work, hence no BTC inflation.

Maybe someone can be so kind to help me understand by answering some of above questions or disputing my assertions?

Thanks!

I can't speak for Cypherdoc, (and also don't agree with all of his criticisms) but I'll take a crack at expounding a bit on this one.

The different rules for the 1 million scBTC may be pretty much anything. They need not be in a public ledger or have open source code, but even if they do, you ask "Why would anybody 'convert' 10 BTC to 10 scInflateBTCx2 knowing full well that scInflateBTCx2 runs a fractional reserve system and the guy with the other 10 scInflateBTCx2 will have his exchanged for 10 BTC half a microsecond later?"

Historically the reason has been war.  This has been done many times over and over throughout history.  If you look at the creation of almost any central bank scheme, it has almost always been done to finance a war, and to pay soldiers an inflating currency because sound money is scarce at such times.

When there is conflict, folks are very willing to "go for broke".  They have become convinced by TPTB that their life, and their way of life, and everything they care about will be lost of they don't accept the new scheme... and it is "illegal" not to do so, so they get put to death, imprisoned, called a traitor or whatever if they don't comply.

If there is a geographical region that has a sound money system and a rule of law system, then the other geographical regimes that have only a rule of law system and have already pulled the con of paying their soldiers with inflation money have the military advantage.  Their soldiers are willing to die for funny money and medals, and your soldiers aren't, so they can afford more of them.

So... what has all this got to do with Side Chains?  Not a lot, other than it is one mechanism that could be used to turn Bitcoin into "Military Government Inflation Coin" and require the use of that coin within a region by force of law, which of course the monetary authority could then inflate as needed and generate more as needed, diluting the bitcoin in the chain.

The mechanism itself isn't the evil, it is just the tool.  It can be used for good or "necessary" evils.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
    Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
    cypherdoc
    Legendary

View Profile
    November 18, 2014, 08:01:00 PM

As much as a despise of what Gates said (in my words: "the blockchain tech is great, but as a money it's not so good"), you have to admit that the features 'decentralized', 'trustless', 'possibly anonymous' and 'uncensorable' are ones that would also be damn good features for stock exchange / dividend payments / all kinds of derivative gambling, ownership management, etc.

If you want Bitcoin (the money) to conquer these areas and serve them as a liquid interchange money, wouldn't it be brilliant to have a technical solution that would allow some asset ledger (say the land ownership ledger) to interchange value with the money ledger (Bitcoin) and make atomic swaps across the chains possible?

i guess, if it's possible.

but are we asking too much?  can it really be achieved by the spvp?  that's the $5B question, b/c that's what we'll be putting at risk if SC's are wrong.
    molecular
    Donator
    Legendary

View Profile
    November 18, 2014, 08:01:41 PM

-

imo, introducing the spvp into the source code, by itself, is a statement to the market that the BTC unit can be separated from its ultra-secure blockchain.  i might be wrong, but that breaks Bitcoin's sound money principles.  yes, ppl can inspect what hopefully will be open source code and don't have to move to a SC they don't like.  but to me, the potential will be there and as a forward looking person, i don't like that.  i might have to front run using my expectations and assumptions of what will be the consequences.

Thank you for answering. I think I understand your concern, I just don't share it to a large degree (I think that risk is low). And I'm easily worried about these things: I even worry about changetip inflating the bitcoin money supply. I may just not be as forward-looking. But I definitely agree it's something we need to watch carefully.

the other reason i don't like it and which i tried to avoid in my earlier post is the Blockstream for profit motive.  they have every incentive to encourage usage of SC's.  they say they won't construct a SC for a SC scam.  well, that's for anyone's definition.  and when there's money involved, i can't see how they won't take it when they have investors to please.  they can always use the same excuse after a SC failure "well, we didn't force anyone to use it".  yes, it bothers me that 40% of core devs + 3 of the top committers are under one paid roof.  that they could get something like this through into the source code is a clear conflict of interest and sends a bad message to the marketplace.

You should provide an 'alternative payed roof' for bitcoin developers. I might join Wink

sickpig
    Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile
    November 18, 2014, 08:10:12 PM

i would rather see gvts and orgs like the IMF have to buy BTC to use as reserves.  that would take us to the Moon:

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2248419

i still see SC's as a way to break Bitcoin's money function by allowing a gvt sponsored currency to siphon BTC to SC w/o having to pay for them.  we need that the price ramps to sustain mining fees and establish Bitcoin as its own global independent currency.  forget asset toys.  as it is, Wall St is the only one who needs or wants those types of toys in the first place with a minority of Americans invested in these things.  even less by foreigners.  what ppl should want and need is Sound Money.  that is what this project is all about, imo.  and the nice thing is anyone who's currently in the Bitcoin system can just sit back, relax, and wait for it to happen.  the price charts still tell me we are destined for greatness.

sorry cypher I'm slow, could you please explain to me how the bolded part is possible?  (serious question)

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
    molecular
    Donator
    Legendary

View Profile
    November 18, 2014, 08:11:19 PM

• they try to change Bitcoin.  change it by changing the source code which breaks the Sound Money function. [...] that is what the spvp does, it creates an offramp into all manner of these assets.
      So you're saying that a part of the real BTC is being chopped off and managed by a different source code base? The rules for the 1 million scBTC are different than for the original BTC? If so, I agree so far. What I don't understand: people will know this. scInflateBTCx2 has a public ledger and is run by miners using open source code. Why would anybody 'convert' 10 BTC to 10 scInflateBTCx2 knowing full well that scInflateBTCx2 runs a fractional reserve system and the guy with the other 10 scInflateBTCx2 will have his exchanged for 10 BTC half a microsecond later. There would be a continual run on the real BTC... it just wouldn't work, hence no BTC inflation.
    Maybe someone can be so kind to help me understand by answering some of above questions or disputing my assertions?

Thanks!

I can't speak for Cypherdoc, (and also don't agree with all of his criticisms) but I'll take a crack at expounding a bit on this one.

The different rules for the 1 million scBTC may be pretty much anything. They need not be in a public ledger or have open source code, but even if they do, you ask "Why would anybody 'convert' 10 BTC to 10 scInflateBTCx2 knowing full well that scInflateBTCx2 runs a fractional reserve system and the guy with the other 10 scInflateBTCx2 will have his exchanged for 10 BTC half a microsecond later?"

Historically the reason has been war.  This has been done many times over and over throughout history.  If you look at the creation of almost any central bank scheme, it has almost always been done to finance a war, and to pay soldiers an inflating currency because sound money is scarce at such times.

When there is conflict, folks are very willing to "go for broke".  They have become convinced by TPTB that their life, and their way of life, and everything they care about will be lost of they don't accept the new scheme... and it is "illegal" not to do so, so they get put to death, imprisoned, called a traitor or whatever if they don't comply.

If there is a geographical region that has a sound money system and a rule of law system, then the other geographical regimes that have only a rule of law system and have already pulled the con of paying their soldiers with inflation money have the military advantage.  Their soldiers are willing to die for funny money and medals, and your soldiers aren't, so they can afford more of them.

So... what has all this got to do with Side Chains?  Not a lot, other than it is one mechanism that could be used to turn Bitcoin into "Military Government Inflation Coin" and require the use of that coin within a region by force of law, which of course the monetary authority could then inflate as needed and generate more as needed, diluting the bitcoin in the chain.

The mechanism itself isn't the evil, it is just the tool.  It can be used for good or "necessary" evils.

Thanks or your answer.

Especially the part about "the party that convinced their soldiers to fight for funny money have better military" got me thinking.

Oh, btw: a sidechain that might flourish in war times: the scInCaseOfWarAnonymizeBTC. Beware, though. Might be a trap!

brg444

View Profile
    November 18, 2014, 08:14:52 PM

It is not a question of whether or not these assets are denominated in BTC. The issue is how do you TRADE these assets.

What ledger do you trust to register these assets in BTC?

At the moment there are only one option : use an off-chain solutions that either operate through a completely centralized ledger or a network of trusted federation/oracles.

The value proposition of sidechains is to reappropriate this trust as close as possible to the blockchain environment where ultimate trust reside. It is not a perfect solution but the closest one we have right now.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
    brg444

View Profile
    November 18, 2014, 08:18:16 PM

-

You are, persistingly wrong.

There exist dozens of ways already for the value of a BTC unit to be separated from the blockchain. Sidechains introduce an ideal way to leverage this ultra-secure blockchain so as to preserve the money principles by reducing as much as technically possible the need for trust.

cypherdoc
    Legendary

View Profile
    November 18, 2014, 08:18:52 PM

i would rather see gvts and orgs like the IMF have to buy BTC to use as reserves.  that would take us to the Moon:

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2248419

i still see SC's as a way to break Bitcoin's money function by allowing a gvt sponsored currency to siphon BTC to SC w/o having to pay for them.  we need that the price ramps to sustain mining fees and establish Bitcoin as its own global independent currency.  forget asset toys.  as it is, Wall St is the only one who needs or wants those types of toys in the first place with a minority of Americans invested in these things.  even less by foreigners.  what ppl should want and need is Sound Money.  that is what this project is all about, imo.  and the nice thing is anyone who's currently in the Bitcoin system can just sit back, relax, and wait for it to happen.  the price charts still tell me we are destined for greatness.

sorry cypher I'm slow, could you please explain to me how the bolded part is possible?  (serious question)

as i said, imo, the mere insertion of the spvp into the source code throws the whole notion of Bitcoin as Sound Money out the window b/c it allows the separation of the BTC currency unit from its ultra-secure blockchain ledger.  once that's done, all the SC's that have bolted onto Bitcoin can sit back and absorb all the BTC that might be tempted to leave the mainchain.  we also would know that there is a for-profit entity out there (Blockstream) who is in position to influence the continued development of these very SC threats to encourage this dynamic for profit generation.  is there an additional independent way for a gvt sponsored currency to encourage flight to itself?  maybe, use your imagination.  i can think of a few.
    brg444

View Profile
    November 18, 2014, 08:28:54 PM

• they try to change Bitcoin.  change it by changing the source code which breaks the Sound Money function. [...] that is what the spvp does, it creates an offramp into all manner of these assets.

Thanks!

Interesting insight but one that totally ignores the fact that sidechain do not introduce OR do they enable inflation. The process you describe could equally be exercised through any altcoin. [/list]

Adrian-x
      Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
      November 18, 2014, 08:48:29 PM

Thanks!

Interesting insight but one that totally ignores the fact that sidechain do not introduce OR do they enable inflation. The process you describe could equally be exercised through any altcoin. [/list]

but would you buy in if you had Bitcoin? just to make it more interesting, it will be like a war bond, you buy in an instantly get a 5% above market teh government will deflate after the war, you will get back more BTC at a higher rate, but you will lose if you withdraw while its inflating, so just hold.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
        brg444

View Profile
        November 18, 2014, 08:52:19 PM

• they try to change Bitcoin.  change it by changing the source code which breaks the Sound Money function. [...] that is what the spvp does, it creates an offramp into all manner of these assets.

Thanks!

but would you buy in if you had Bitcoin? just to make it more interesting, it will be like a war bond, you buy in an instantly get a 5% above market teh government will deflate after the war, you will get back more BTC at a higher rate, but you will lose if you withdraw while its inflating, so just hold.

lol

BTW you cannot withdraw to the mainchain more BTC than you had invested so you are essentially stuck in that inflated chain if ever you decide to preserve this illusional inflated value.

You also fail to ignore the fact that this scheme is very much possible today using existing technology : altcoins and/or federated sidechains

chriswilmer
          Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
          November 18, 2014, 09:09:08 PM

Doesn't colored coins already let you do this? I feel like like people are overcomplicating the problem of using the Bitcoin blockchain for asset transfer.
          brg444

View Profile
          November 18, 2014, 09:20:20 PM

Doesn't colored coins already let you do this? I feel like like people are overcomplicating the problem of using the Bitcoin blockchain for asset transfer.

They do, but they introduce another layer of trust that is considerably less decentralized.

Pages: « 1 ... 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 [872] 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 ... 1558 »
            Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.