Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:14:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 [1169] 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 12:53:23 AM

given this new development, you guys ought to make sure to vote in the current poll above.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
freakying99

Activity: 429
Merit: 250

Pythagoras and Plato are my brothers.

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 12:59:44 AM

It looks like bitcoin will continue to drop for the next little while. I have sold most of my btc and plan on to reenter at around $150. Untill then I may buy some gold and see where that goes.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 01:04:21 AM

It looks like bitcoin will continue to drop for the next little while. I have sold most of my btc and plan on to reenter at around $150. Untill then I may buy some gold and see where that goes.

sounds like you're gonna be left behind.
freakying99

Activity: 429
Merit: 250

Pythagoras and Plato are my brothers.

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 01:05:55 AM

sounds like you're gonna be left behind.

no man, I made enough money to not worry. but btc is coming back down and you failing to see that is retarded. You're old school and you still don't get it. Your loss my gain.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 01:08:28 AM

I wonder how many of those who voted for a graduated increase realize that the blocksize limit isn't actually limiting anything right now. It's a limit that will eventually become a factor. Right now if it were removed nothing special would happen.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 01:14:28 AM

I wonder how many of those who voted for a graduated increase realize that the blocksize limit isn't actually limiting anything right now. It's a limit that will eventually become a factor. Right now if it were removed nothing special would happen.

you're right that it isn't limiting anything right now.  but if the market gets the sense that Gavin is going to get his way (and i think he will) it could unleash the next wave of speculation into the market, and along with it, a new wave of tx volume simply from everyone piling in frontrunning.

the way the charts are lining up it seems to me that the market is looking for any reason at all to rally hard.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 01:23:12 AM

That's a bit overstated. It already slows things down when there are long (random) block times because all the accumulated transactions can't fit in the first block. Allowing all (or at least more) of the transactions into the first block doesn't increase bandwidth or storage requirements at all, but does improve service. There is a small centralizing effect though (rewards miners with higher bandwidth).

This has happened to me twice. I have the worst luck on block times. Both were close to an hour.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 01:28:15 AM

just in case anyone is interested in what one of my full nodes is using.  it's remarkably consistent across all of them.  note the minimal bandwidth usage.  i have 1GB of RAM with 100GB of disk:

Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 01:28:23 AM

you're right that it isn't limiting anything right now.  but if the market gets the sense that Gavin is going to get his way (and i think he will) it could unleash the next wave of speculation into the market, and along with it, a new wave of tx volume simply from everyone piling in frontrunning.

the way the charts are lining up it seems to me that the market is looking for any reason at all to rally hard.

That would be a welcome development. I do get the sense that some investors have developed misgivings because of the blocksize issue, and if that's the case certainly a step toward solving that should spur some investment.

I still say just let exchanges arbitrage the two forks so that skeptics of "GavinCoin" (Roll Eyes) can put their money where their mouth is and see if anyone agrees with them - that is, if they are really willing to take, oh, say a 95% devaluation of their holdings if the market rejects them (and that's the optimistic case where their little group lasts as an altcoin; otherwise they can ride it all the way to zero). I suspect very few people will actually take this bet.

To quote the enigmatic Mr. Sztorc again, "Predictions markets make cheap talk expensive." Fork arbitrage functions as a prediction market for which fork will succeed.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 01:29:06 AM

That's a bit overstated. It already slows things down when there are long (random) block times because all the accumulated transactions can't fit in the first block. Allowing all (or at least more) of the transactions into the first block doesn't increase bandwidth or storage requirements at all, but does improve service. There is a small centralizing effect though (rewards miners with higher bandwidth).

This has happened to me twice. I have the worst luck on block times. Both were close to an hour.

Hmm, that's interesting. Thanks for the correction.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 02:23:10 AM

i'm going to lock this poll by tomorrow and put up a new one given Gavin's "announcement" so get your voting in now.
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 02:40:01 AM

i'm going to lock this poll by tomorrow and put up a new one given Gavin's "announcement" so get your voting in now.

How about all of the above, stop wasting gavin's precious time, and do it sooner to give ppl some confidence that micropayments will be economically viable so we can get on with building stuff on the blockchain. Stuff that actually delves into areas where fiat cannot go rather then merely providing small benefits to those who have already set up wallets and little to no benefit to those who must do the whole education thing and then the time inefficient fiat btc xfer btc fiat circus.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2015, 03:02:16 AM

How about all of the above, stop wasting gavin's precious time, and do it sooner to give ppl some confidence that micropayments will be economically viable so we can get on with building stuff on the blockchain. Stuff that actually delves into areas where fiat cannot go rather then merely providing small benefits to those who have already set up wallets and little to no benefit to those who must do the whole education thing and then the time inefficient fiat btc xfer btc fiat circus.

If Bitcoin's precious blockchain has no greater destiny than to be used for an eternal record of inconsequential "micropayments" the project has no future.

Stop trying to enable the fluffy VC daydream of 'enabling tipping economies' and worry about macropayments.

This is revolution against the BIS, etc. and a chance to evolve past gold as humanity's default store of value, not a call to replace Reddit gold/Dogecoin/TipBot.

The places "where fiat cannot go" that matter are brain/paper/hardware wallets, multi-sig, and realtime auditing, not giving some Redditard 0.000000001 BTC for confirming your bias with a snarky comment.

Too bad we have to wait an entire year to watch Mircea shit all over GavinCoin.  It's worse than waiting for the next season of Walking Dead!

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 03:11:30 AM

I voted graduated limit but if things go well over time eventually remove the limit.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512

@theshmadz

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 03:38:45 AM

just in case anyone is interested in what one of my full nodes is using.  it's remarkably consistent across all of them.  note the minimal bandwidth usage.  i have 1GB of RAM with 100GB of disk:

Umm, bandwidth numbers without time are meaningless.

Are you using 23 GB per day? Per hour? Per second?

Please clarify, thanks.

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
shmadz
Legendary

@theshmadz

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 03:57:20 AM
Last edit: May 04, 2015, 04:25:15 AM by shmadz

If Bitcoin's precious blockchain has no greater destiny than to be used for an eternal record of inconsequential "micropayments" the project has no future.

Stop trying to enable the fluffy VC daydream of 'enabling tipping economies' and worry about macropayments.

This is revolution against the BIS, etc. and a chance to evolve past gold as humanity's default store of value, not a call to replace Reddit gold/Dogecoin/TipBot.

The places "where fiat cannot go" that matter are brain/paper/hardware wallets, multi-sig, and realtime auditing, not giving some Redditard 0.000000001 BTC for confirming your bias with a snarky comment.

Too bad we have to wait an entire year to watch Mircea shit all over GavinCoin.  It's worse than waiting for the next season of Walking Dead!

Agreed.

Bitcoin is much better suited to the store of value function.

Why do you think Goldman Sachs et all are trying to pigeon-hole bitcoin as merely a "payments network"?

*also, increasing block size does nothing to address the "instant payment" problem.

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
lunarboy

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 05:25:46 AM

Subspace sounds like an interesting project BIP70

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitcoin-startup-subspace-develops-bip70-payment-requests-protocol/

We should be able to achieve full-node like privacy for lightweight wallets. But on top of that we’ll be able to do things like ‘push’ payment requests to end-users. This could enable monthly billing for services, which we don’t currently have in Bitcoin. We can also attach messages to our transactions and even use it for messages between clients.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 05:30:56 AM

Too bad we have to wait an entire year to watch Mircea shit all over GavinCoin.  It's worse than waiting for the next season of Walking Dead!

Agreed.

Why do you think Goldman Sachs et all are trying to pigeon-hole bitcoin as merely a "payments network"?

*also, increasing block size does nothing to address the "instant payment" problem.

The only thing Bitcoin needs to retain the SOV function is that it maintains its fixed supply. No one is talking about changing that. What you're forgetting is that thousands of years ago gold coins were in fact used on a daily basis to buy loaves of bread. Increasing usage in day to day TX's would maximize its utility as money and drive it's value much higher. The increase TX volume is clearly necessary to feed miners over the long run via fees.  Bitcoins usage needs to be driven to the far ends of the earth into the hands of a many people as possible to guarantee is safety.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 05:51:09 AM

Agreed.

The only thing Bitcoin needs to retain the SOV function is that it maintains its fixed supply. No one is talking about changing that. What you're forgetting is that thousands of years ago gold coins were in fact used on a daily basis to buy loaves of bread. Increasing usage in day to day TX's would maximize its utility as money and increase  drive it's value much higher. The increase TX volume is clearly necessary to feed miners over the long run via fees.  Bitcoins usage needs to be driven to the far ends of the earth into the hands of a many people as possible to guarantee is safety.

Nailed it.

The SOV function cannot be taken for granted. Gold has the inherent advantage of being physically rare. Bitcoin, while its issuance is capped at 21M, the software can be duplicated thousands of times. Already much duplication is happening in the alts, although they primarily use scrypt which is a very fortuitous accident of history. Lee wanted a coin which would require more memory&cpu  for hashing, hence his Litecoin uses scrypt, and most new altcoins have cloned the Litecoin fork of Bitcoin. This has left the sha256 miners to focus primarily on Bitcoin while the scrypt miners are spread over many alts. Litecoin is being bled to death by all its clones.

So, Bitcoin's SOV is buttressed by two things: the network effect of its ecosystem, and the hardware invested in sha256 hashing-power. Bitcoin needs to keep growing its ecosystem, and the hashing power will follow it. Bitcoin is not being bled by clones - yet - but there is a real risk  if its ecosystem growth is crippled by volume constraints.

re instant payments, doesn't the lightning network provide a form of it?

shmadz
Legendary

@theshmadz

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 05:55:36 AM

Agreed.

The only thing Bitcoin needs to retain the SOV function is that it maintains its fixed supply. No one is talking about changing that. What you're forgetting is that thousands of years ago gold coins were in fact used on a daily basis to buy loaves of bread. Increasing usage in day to day TX's would maximize its utility as money and drive it's value much higher. The increase TX volume is clearly necessary to feed miners over the long run via fees.  Bitcoins usage needs to be driven to the far ends of the earth into the hands of a many people as possible to guarantee is safety.

Ok, I'll admit I'm still a little torn/undecided on this issue, but I don't think we need the same security model for buying loaves of bread that we use for buying homes,.

As long as the profit motive for miners is kept intact, then I'm fine with whatever method ensures the security of the Blockchain.

*btw, I'm still curious what your full node consumes in bandwidth?

Pages: « 1 ... 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 [1169] 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: