Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:59:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 [376] 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:08:45 AM

I mean, you were nowhere to be found in my Gold I Smell A Trap  thread of 2011 even though you were active as Goat.

That would not prove anything either way. I was aware of that thread and read some of it, but I was obsessed with BTC at the time.

I did not even post in this thread until I started buying gold/silver again. Why would I read or post in a thread about something I had no interest?

This is a BTC forum after all. You should really be looking at my post history on the kitco forum and it would be pretty clear what my thoughts where and what I was doing.

And anyway, the way to prove this would be to show you my tax returns and APMEX history, something that will not be happening.

But really, if you guys think I'm just bullshiting then fine, ignore what I say. I have nothing to gain by it. I really do not care what you think about me.

Actually it would prove everything.

That was such an epic thread that brought out all the good bugs and cypherdoc haters because I had the gall to call the top. It was an extremely tense 4 months of posting; basically me against everyone else. It was so controversial that I would think you'd have gotten involved supporting me if you had indeed sold or gone short like I did. It doesn't make sense you'd stay away given how intense you've been concerning your love of gold and especially silver that you've demonstrated over the last year or so in this very thread.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:19:00 AM

I mean, you were nowhere to be found in my Gold I Smell A Trap  thread of 2011 even though you were active as Goat.

That would not prove anything either way. I was aware of that thread and read some of it, but I was obsessed with BTC at the time.

I did not even post in this thread until I started buying gold/silver again. Why would I read or post in a thread about something I had no interest?

This is a BTC forum after all. You should really be looking at my post history on the kitco forum and it would be pretty clear what my thoughts where and what I was doing.

And anyway, the way to prove this would be to show you my tax returns and APMEX history, something that will not be happening.

But really, if you guys think I'm just bullshiting then fine, ignore what I say. I have nothing to gain by it. I really do not care what you think about me.

That was such an epic thread that brought out all the good bugs and cypherdoc haters because I had the gall to call the top. It was an extremely tense 4 months of posting; basically me against everyone else. It was so controversial that I would think you'd have gotten involved supporting me if you had indeed sold or gone short like I did. It doesn't make sense you'd stay away given how intense you've been concerning your love of gold and especially silver that you've demonstrated over the last year or so in this very thread.

If you folks remember Goat was one of the main PIRATE PASS THROUGH PONZI OPERATORS. Perhaps he was too distracted taking people's money to send to Pirate to make a cut for himself that he didn't bother with Cypher's thread? Seems plausible.

Edit: Yes this thread derailment was caused by your claims Goat, to make another user who you thought was insulting you to feel smaller than you or perhaps make you look more "legit". Next time leave the ego at the door unless you can prove what your ego touts.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:21:11 AM

Posting or not in one thread does not prove or disprove my actions in real life. The world does not revolve around you and your threads. That fact that you seem to think this is the case is very shocking to me. Your using this to base that you think I'm a fraud makes me question your abilities at logic.

Like I said I was highly interested in BTC and the time and had not only sold off all my gold, but my wife's as well to get BTC and mining equipment. I did not care about gold at the time as I did not hold it and was not going to get it anytime soon. I became more interested in gold and silver when silver was getting close to $18.50 my first buy back in point.

I do not love gold or silver. I think it is a smart fraction of any sane persons investment portfolio. I hold 85% Crypto, 10% PMs and 5% cash.

I'm sorry I did not defend you for the difficult 4 months you had on this BTC forum but really that was not my battle. I was busy making money...

Yes making money through the PIRATE PONZI PASS-THROUGH as one of PirateAt40's gateways to "invest" to get the holy 7% per week returns.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:27:40 AM

Posting or not in one thread does not prove or disprove my actions in real life. The world does not revolve around you and your threads. That fact that you seem to think this is the case is very shocking to me. Your using this to base that you think I'm a fraud makes me question your abilities at logic.

Like I said I was highly interested in BTC and the time and had not only sold off all my gold, but my wife's as well to get BTC and mining equipment. I did not care about gold at the time as I did not hold it and was not going to get it anytime soon. I became more interested in gold and silver when silver was getting close to $18.50 my first buy back in point.

I do not love gold or silver. I think it is a smart fraction of any sane persons investment portfolio. I hold 85% Crypto, 10% PMs and 5% cash.

I'm sorry I did not defend you for the difficult 4 months you had on this BTC forum but really that was not my battle. I was busy making money...

Yes making money through the PIRATE PONZI PASS-THROUGH as one of PirateAt40's gateways to "invest" to get the holy 7% per week returns.

He lost about 40,000 BTC with PirateAt40's Bitcoin Savings and Trust (BTCST)

From smoothie's thread  "[FAIL CAPTAIN] Some Facts About Chaang Noi (Goat) ช้างน้อย" found here, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=119490.0

I get attacked both ways. Anyway, have fun with the personal attacks!

Yes that was me over a year ago. Get over it Goat.  Cheesy

Also...didn't you hit the IGNORE BUTTON? No credibility there I guess or no consistency to keep it that way. Not surprising.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:28:37 AM

Edit: This thread has become focused on me and what I might have done 10 plus years ago. I'm going to stay away for a couple of days and hopefully this gets back on topic. Insult me all you want if it makes you feel better but I have better things to do. Peace.

I'm not attacking you but it did strike me as odd that you've made this claim.

That thread, like this one, speaks for itself in terms of popularity. It was front and center of the Speculation forum that whole time with as many, if not more replies per time period as this one.

You were also quite active as a poster, as you are now. It would have been natural for you to be a part of the discussion like you are now. The whole concept of Bitcoin as a replacement for gold was not nearly as clear as it is now.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:31:38 AM

Edit: This thread has become focused on me and what I might have done 10 plus years ago. I'm going to stay away for a couple of days and hopefully this gets back on topic. Insult me all you want if it makes you feel better but I have better things to do. Peace.

I'm not attacking you but it did strike me as odd that you've made this claim.

That thread, like this one, speaks for itself in terms of popularity. It was front and center of the Speculation forum that whole time with as many, if not more replies per time period as this one.

You were also quite active as a poster, as you are now. It would have been natural for you to be a part of the discussion like you are now. The whole concept of Bitcoin as a replacement for gold was not nearly as clear as it is now.

Hindsight is 20/20.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:35:20 AM

The whole concept of Bitcoin as a replacement for gold was not nearly as clear as it is now.

I clearly do not believe Bitcoin is a replacement for gold and stuff like this is probably why I would have felt awkward trying to defend you, even if i wanted to. But yes, I did see the thread, and I read some of it. But like I said, at that time I did not care about gold or people who thought BTC would replace gold.

To move into an asset like Bitcoin from Gold and not care about people thinking BTC may somehow replace gold (in some sort of transacting way) is rather unbelievable. The obvious thing is to look at what the herd may consider in the future as a way to get in early to an asset like BTC from gold.

This would be the logical way I would think someone selling Gold to get into Bitcoin would be thinking longer term.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:36:22 AM

The whole concept of Bitcoin as a replacement for gold was not nearly as clear as it is now.

I clearly do not believe Bitcoin is a replacement for gold and stuff like this is probably why I would have felt awkward trying to defend you, even if i wanted to. But yes, I did see the thread, and I read some of it. But like I said, at that time I did not care about gold or people who thought BTC would replace gold.

Well then, I guess you're still missing the whole point of this and the other thread.  Grin
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:37:05 AM

Well then, I guess you're still missing the whole point of this and the other thread.  Grin

+1 not very shocking.  Shocked

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:08:27 AM

like smoothie has never made an unverifiable claim on bitcointalk ...  Roll Eyes

i know who I'd be inclined to believe.

Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:58:41 AM

To move this thread in a more productive direction what do people here think about Rhodium?

Rhodium has a history of being all over the place and the Gold/Rhodium ratio seems to be near historic lows. I bought some phsical last week for the first time ever. Not a huge amount, but enough for me to watch the charts.

All in all, I do like your colour choice in car's.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 05:36:23 AM

To move this thread in a more productive direction what do people here think about Rhodium?

Rhodium has a history of being all over the place and the Gold/Rhodium ratio seems to be near historic lows. I bought some phsical last week for the first time ever. Not a huge amount, but enough for me to watch the charts.

All in all, I do like your colour choice in car's.

That's like saying cars don't replace horses. Well, in most cases, they do, but not in all cases. LOL. Goat didn't buy a kick-ass yellow horse, did he? Damn, old-fashioned ideas die hard.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 06:49:09 AM

Some people in this thread think gold is on its way to 0 and its dead.

Not zero... I'd say, though, that it'll eventually lose *most* of it's monetary-use premium. That's a bit tough to tease out; the other main domains for gold are industrial use and jewelry. Industrial use accounts for what, about $300/oz? And then the demand for jewelry is all convoluted with its historical moneyness, so I don't know how to treat that (though I'm aware that about 50% of above-ground gold is estimated to be jewelry). So maybe the floor once gold is finally (and correctly) no longer seen as a monetary instrument/asset is somewhere in the $300-$600 range.

But this could take another generation or two. The *oldest* of us that have grown up surrounded by digital (and therefore have some innate comfort with it that many older people do not) are only in our early 30s. It's going to be a while before we get all the money and allocate it. In the meantime, those that control most of the wealth flows could very well drive up the price of gold significantly. I personally find trading the short/medium-term to be extremely frustrating, though.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1036

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:50:00 AM

It is helpful if we totally rid ourselves of fiat as a measurement of value:

The market cap of gold is currently about 1.5-2% of market cap of the world.
That of silver is way less and Bitcoin is still less (0.003%).

When Bitcoin reaches its potential and becomes 10-50% of the market cap of the world (the position that paper sludge is occupying now and metals occupied thousands of years), will gold still be 1.5% of the world?

I think, yes. I see no much reason why not. It will start to be used in more decorative purposes, though, such as the Solomon's Temple which was overlaid with gold.

To uphold the price of gold (or anything), it does not matter if 95% think it is worthless. The rest can happily bid it up, and gold is a prime example of this.

Anybody care to discuss the role of gold in mathematical terms? How many % of total? And will the total go up or down with the introduction of crypto and the resulting free flow of money?

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:54:12 AM

(what happened to this thread? 2 pages of pointless ego-fighting?)

question to the experts, though: some sources state "problems in emerging countries" as reason for the market drops last week. I have problems understanding that. Which countries?

Seems to me the USD dropped at the same time as equities and that other stuff, so it should've been something to do with the USD? Did the FED try to taper or something?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:58:52 AM

It is helpful if we totally rid ourselves of fiat as a measurement of value:

The market cap of gold is currently about 1.5-2% of market cap of the world.
That of silver is way less and Bitcoin is still less (0.003%).

When Bitcoin reaches its potential and becomes 10-50% of the market cap of the world (the position that paper sludge is occupying now and metals occupied thousands of years), will gold still be 1.5% of the world?

I think, yes. I see no much reason why not. It will start to be used in more decorative purposes, though, such as the Solomon's Temple which was overlaid with gold.

To uphold the price of gold (or anything), it does not matter if 95% think it is worthless. The rest can happily bid it up, and gold is a prime example of this.

Anybody care to discuss the role of gold in mathematical terms? How many % of total? And will the total go up or down with the introduction of crypto and the resulting free flow of money?

How many % of total what? Value in the world stored in it?

I agree we should try to rid ourselved from measuring everything in USD. That's quite a project though, because tax authorities require that crap as unit of measurement for everything.

btw, still an awesome chart to look at:

http://pricedingold.com/bitcoin/

would've preferred them to use oz/BTC instead of mg/BTC, but whatever.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1036

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 09:14:04 AM

The world and everything in it is 100%.

How many % is gold?

(Discussing about gold in dollar terms is not only wrong, it is impossible.)

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 05:46:17 PM

The world and everything in it is 100%.

How many % is gold?

(Discussing about gold in dollar terms is not only wrong, it is impossible.)

Hmm. The answer is the same as to this question: "what percentage of his wealth does the average person hold in gold?".

It isn't any easier to answer, though.

My wholly irrelevant guess is somewhere in between 1.5% to 5%

On a side-note: what's the value of the last fish in the world?

BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:53:29 AM

Some people in this thread think gold is on its way to 0 and its dead.
Not zero... I'd say, though, that it'll eventually lose *most* of it's monetary-use premium. That's a bit tough to tease out; the other main domains for gold are industrial use and jewelry. Industrial use accounts for what, about $300/oz? And then the demand for jewelry is all convoluted with its historical moneyness, so I don't know how to treat that (though I'm aware that about 50% of above-ground gold is estimated to be jewelry). So maybe the floor once gold is finally (and correctly) no longer seen as a monetary instrument/asset is somewhere in the $300-$600 range.

Monetary-use premium? Where exactly is it used for money these days? Porcfest? A few gun shops in Arizona? A few village merchants in remote areas of Myanmar? 

I would say that right now it's "moneyness" accounts for a VERY small percent of its current demand, and it's "hoardiness" (similar to moneyness but little to do with transactional value) as well as its speculative value, is responsible for most of its non-industrial, non-convoluted-with-jewelry demand.
Does that make sense? Obviously something that is used as money is in demand to be used as money, and usually things used as money are also good for hoarding. HOWEVER - what we're seeing with gold is rather unprecedented - most of the world has completely abandoned it as a transactional currency. But much of the world still hoards it! Central banks (esp. eastern CBs), asians, libertardian American stackers, etc. The demand is not for gold as a transactional currency - demand would be much higher if that were the case - but for gold as a hunk of metal to hoard for various reasons - inflation hedge, SHTF hedge (however misguided that may be), deflationary store of value (as unsuccessful as that's been the past couple years.)

I'm not necessarily saying gold ISN'T headed for $0, but if even a small fraction of its former demand as a transactional currency were restored (in addition to retaining its value as a hunk o' hoardiness), combined with the artificial supply from the paper market collapsing (which it won't, ever) it would indeed make gold holders quite happy. It's a pipe dream, and it's not MY pipe dream, but it's one of many things that could happen, and that's why Goat has a small % of his portfolio in PMs.
miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:48:42 AM

Definitely worth a dabble, though maybe not quite as interesting from a trading perspective as BTC/LTC. The ratios are where the fun is anyway.
Pages: « 1 ... 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 [376] 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: