Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:56:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... 309 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [VIA] ★ Viacoin ★ ~ the future of digital currency ~ ★  (Read 825828 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Bitcycle

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 03:57:29 PM

As soon as I saw that VIA was not being burned for XCH- as was implied in the beginning- but rather being given to the dev as another IPO, "since viacoins are new and shiny", I sold most my VIA. If there is going to be this much funding, there needs to be more transparency as to where all the money is going. Anybody know what has been done with the first round of 610 BTC? Can we get a public ledger or something? How about a spending road-map? How much has been spent and on what for everything up until now and how much is anticipated to be needed for future developments?

Still holding enough to make me happy if this does turn into a true "long-term" project, but one thing I have learned in my short time here on BTCtalk is that betting on the "long-term" with anything but BTC itself is generally a poor decision.

I agree there needs to be some transparency on the financial front. This second, unplanned IPO has clearly shaken confidence in the coin, and needs to be addressed more fully.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:29:20 PM

So are the #coinmarket celebs unloading their stock of Via to buy back in cheaper or what?
masternode

Activity: 443

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 06:03:11 PM
Last edit: August 15, 2014, 09:14:23 PM by masternode

As soon as I saw that VIA was not being burned for XCH- as was implied in the beginning- but rather being given to the dev as another IPO, "since viacoins are new and shiny", I sold most my VIA. If there is going to be this much funding, there needs to be more transparency as to where all the money is going. Anybody know what has been done with the first round of 610 BTC? Can we get a public ledger or something? How about a spending road-map? How much has been spent and on what for everything up until now and how much is anticipated to be needed for future developments?

Still holding enough to make me happy if this does turn into a true "long-term" project, but one thing I have learned in my short time here on BTCtalk is that betting on the "long-term" with anything but BTC itself is generally a poor decision.

I agree there needs to be some transparency on the financial front. This second, unplanned IPO has clearly shaken confidence in the coin, and needs to be addressed more fully.

@Stormia I discussed my feelings regarding the second raise on the ClearingHouse forum (post #56) as someone posted how the additional raise made them uneasy.  I think I should contribute those thoughts here as well.  

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=734674.msg8302729#msg8302729

"I'm not uneasy about this at all, and trust me I hold a lot of VIA.  I bought this coin because I think it's the next generation of cryto (and these days everyone seems to claim this).  It has the potential to crush so many other coins (XCP, MSC, Stellar, etc.).  But is it reasonable for us to expect Btcdrak to do this on only a 600BTC raise??  Fuck no.  I want to see VIA give Ethereum a run for their money, and I truly believe it can.  However, Ethereum has raised $15M so far.  The beauty is Btcdrak and Viacoin are way ahead of the game, by months! and only off of 600BTC!  

I personally don't think it's even remotely possible to compete with well funded coins like Stellar or Ethereum with so little capital resources, which is why I'm fully behind the new raise for XCH.  It's a pretty easy choice in my mind.  Btcdrak has had flawless execution and this "burn" or IPO is no different.  He's doing exactly what he has to and keeping his eye on the prize in the long game.  I'm happily going to contribute becuase for VIA to really have the best chance of succeeding, Btcdrak will need to pull the best developers from everywhere over to this project.  This will cost money.  He's got the reputation, he's got the skills, he's shown execution, he's always two steps ahead, and he's got the momentum now.  I hope this raise pulls in well in the $ Millions for him to work with, and he makes even more scary good hires ala Peter Todd.  I can't wait to see the future of this coin."

-------

@Bitcycle Fwiw, the second unplanned IPO hasn't shaken confidence in the coin as much as you think.  I would more attribute the sell off to be driven much more by the recent sell offs in BTC.  A number of altcoins have experienced considerable selling in the wake of the sell off in BTC due to the BitLicense and US Consumer Regulator news. And this morning Bter.com got hacked for a lot of NXT (about 5% of all NXT, so of course this will affect markets).

I'm indifferent to financial transparency.  I guess I should say I'm opposed to it if it requires much effort.  If it's a simple update that doesn't interfere with him advancing the project, then sure why not.  But really it's not all that necessary.  600BTC + whatever he raises on the second XCH raise doesn't buy as much as people think.  If you want a reference, take a look at Swarmcoin's proposed budget on a $10.5M intended raise.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mqldBmLEVswmRb0Aje3A1myq4wKpaBc2-L_TtGNYTqA/edit#gid=1351254000

$2.2M of that is spent on team salaries, which upon closer look you'll notice doesn't really get you all that much in terms of developers in my opinion.  So it's understandable that 600BTC (around $300k and shrinking) probably gets you 2 full time devs, a part time dev, and few additional costs for a reasonable number of months (acutally I'd like to see them commited to this for years not months).  The second raise might start putting a dent into the resources we need if we really want Viacoin to have a shot at all against the other well funded projects (i.e. stellar, ethereum, etc.).  I intend to contribute at minimum 200,000 VIA to XCH as it's absolutely necessary if we want to see success.  You will see this in the coming days if not today.  But really, while my contribution will help and I'm happy to do so, the truth is we all need to contribute to give this project the highest probability of success.
MuffinMaster

Activity: 1414
Merit: 265

Pepemo.vip

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 07:25:34 PM

everyone is going to want to hold via for when ether launches.

very similar projects, but its like a start up Microsoft splitting off from Apple in the 80s. Let see who comes out on top in the 90's Smiley

damiano
Legendary

Activity: 1246

103 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes.

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 07:41:58 PM

hmmm to buy or not to buy

?
yavuzc78

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 07:47:41 PM

what happening on this coin? again rise

FryguyUK
Legendary

Activity: 801

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 08:53:07 PM
Last edit: August 15, 2014, 09:56:42 PM by FryguyUK

?

To finally add my two cents, initial buy on the news of Todd beginning of August. 100 BTC + everyone else arriving late and seeing coindesk after. Speculation builds it along with manipulation to 70K. Shake down planned, but group with initial buy see BTC prices slipping down fast. Interest in VIA wavering on 12th / 13th AUG (possibly a lot of distraction from BTC crashing) group decided to cash out [chunks adding up well past 100btc along with plenty of panic sells, possibly just a small overall profit] to sell and buy BTC possibly knowing about the drop to 450 it experienced.

Not sure what the latest dump was if it was related to them or another whale wanted more pressure whilst the 'group' had sold out.

It's possible this could drop further with people cashing out initial investments at 6100 which they missed opportunity at 10x got too greedy, or the group could be waiting for BTC to trend upwards / next round of news about Todd [or of course the 1000 other variables in the mix naturally Wink]

Hope that was constructive! I'm re-buying in this area for now
MuffinMaster

Activity: 1414
Merit: 265

Pepemo.vip

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 09:50:06 PM

?

To finally add my two cents, initial buy on the news of Todd beginning of August. 100 BTC + everyone else arriving late and seeing coindesk after. Speculation builds it along with manipulation to 70K. Shake down planned, but group with initial buy see BTC prices slipping down fast. Interest in VIA wavering on 12th / 13th AUG (possibly a lot of distraction from BTC crashing) group decided to cash out [chunks adding up well past 100btc along with plenty of panic sells, possibly just a small overall profit] to sell and buy BTC possibly knowing about the drop to 450 it experienced.

Not sure what the latest dump was if it was related to them or another whale wanted more pressure whilst the 'group' had sold out.

It's possible this could drop further with people cashing out initial investments at 6100 which they missed opportunity at 10x got too greedy, or the group could be waiting for BTC to trend upwards / news round of news about Todd.

Hope that was constructive! I'm re-buying in this area for now

yep, buy orders low 30's for now. come on bitches, you you got any more ?

Revelation

Activity: 462

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 01:40:22 AM

yes please, let me know too how you think it's the dev?  
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=734674.msg8300530#msg8300530

Q: What happens to the viacoins that I do burn in exchange for XCH?
A: They go to fund future development of ClearingHouse.

So 600 BTC from the IPO was not enough, now he needs more funds.
For 3 days the dev already "collected" around 185 BTC (assuming he sold his 0.37m VIA at the average price of 50k)

You have no proof and you are just spreading FUD..
Ask the dev to prove his 0.37m VIA holdings. He clearly stated that the coins will be used to fund development. Doesn't that mean selling VIA for BTC?

Have you heard of ethereum?
How many BTC's have they collected so far?  Why do they need so much? What's the proof of their work?
If you think that one of the leading BTC developers is part of a scam, then I could justify what I hear from people who don't know much about BTC.  Usually the response I get from people is , "oh yeah, I hear it's the biggest scam going on now".  $6billion is a HUGE scam.  Repercussions of such a thing could cost people more than money.  

Of course not, Todd is awesome, btcdrak is shady as hell. I wonder who has the IPO BTC and who is controlling the "donation" address. If it is Todd - that is good, if it is the trader guy - I hope Todd leaves him soon.

Btw, I hope you are not serious when you try to compare viacoin with euthereum project. Viacoin is a copy-paste coin of existent technology, with some modifications. Euthereum is a completely new technology and as such deserves much more attention than a copy-paste code of viacoin. Also, btcdrak is still a shady person and he is not a coder. I hope you are not serious in comparing a trader guy to euthereum team that traveled across the globe to meet with various groups of people.

Revelation, I'm not really quite sure where you find your information about BTCdrak not being able to code or that he is "shady".  But you seem intent on disparaging him, so I'll chime in and let you know where I managed to get my information about him.

First I would like to disclose to the community that I am a large Viacoin holder.  I genuinely believe in the project.

I was fortunate enough to participate in the initial offering.  I stumbled across the ANN the day before the presale ended and managed to get 14 BTC in the presale.  I'd alerted my business partner to Viacoin, we had lunch and discussed the coin and he went on to contribute 75 BTC in the presale.  

I'm a believer that the next generation of cryptocurrency would run off it's own blockchain because the limitations of BTC were obvious to me.  I read "The Story of Viacoin" on the Viacoin blog and it resonated with me enough that I was excited about this project.  I'll admit I was very concerned that the core developer chose to remain anonymous but as I read more in the forums I'd learned that Btcdrak was a veteran member with a strong reputation amongst both developers and traders, and it put my concerns of his identity at ease enough so that I wouldn't dismiss this coin and I decided to participate in the presale.  One thing I noticed was his attention to detail, and how professional and almost flawless the Viacoin presale went from beginning to end.  His execution was impressive, and in my mind this is one of the major things that I look for in an entepreneur / core dev. and intuitively I felt that if he executed like this on the presale, then it's more probable than not that he would hold that same standard to all of his work.  But more so, I never felt like I was being sold on Viacoin, it more felt like I stumbled on a gem, and Btcdrak was just doing his thing whether or not I invested, he didn't care.  

So the presale happened, and within a couple of days a number of exchanges started picking up Viacoin, I think it was like 5 exchanges in 48 hours.  This was impressive.  Again, Btcdrak never promised anything and overdelivered.  

Then a very fortunate event occurred.  I was interviewing developers for some projects that my partner (Otoh) and I were thinking of starting up in either the Viacoin or Darkcoin ecosystem (we are also large holders of Darkcoin).  Well, one of the programming candidates out of Croatia had told me he was an investor in Viacoin as well.  The candidate was a fairly strong developer having worked for over 20 years in software development, he had experience in Unix/Linux, PHP, Perl, Java, C, C++, he had previously worked at Blue Martini software, and he was a graduate from a top university in the US (superior to my alma mater UC Berkeley).  I came to find out he had worked with Btcdrak on various projects over the last decade and he said that he knew him in real life.  Being fully aware Btcdrak did not want his identity revealed I chose not to inquire, but I asked him what he thought about Btcdrak.  His response was pretty much that a.) Btcdrak was extremely fair and honest and b.) that he was a very strong programmer and incredibly smart.  He went on to tell me that when he realized that Btcdrak was the person behind Viacoin he chose to invest in the coin.  While we did not move forward with this candidate (as we were looking for someone with more mobile experience) we have stayed in touch and he's referred us other qualified developers, leading me to firmly believe he was truthful in what he said.  

As a result of this fortunate discovery, my most major concern about this project had been resolved and what I had initially suspected about BTCdrak's level of work turned out to most likely be true.  A.) Because of the high praise of his integrity I didn't need to worry about his identity as it is extremely unlikely that this is a scam. and B.) He was a sharp individual and strong developer so I should feel confident that he will continue to overdeliver on this project.  

As such, I decided to increase my position in Viacoin considerably.  And sure enough over the next few days Btcdrak announces hiring both Grynn San and then Peter Todd, again never promising, but overdelivering.  

So Revelation, I'm not sure where you get your information about Btcdrak, but I thought I'd share with everyone where I got mine.  Also, for what it's worth, my partner and I don't make too many investments, but now when we do they are fairly considerable in size.  The last large investment we made was in Darkcoin where we acquired one of the largest stakes.  But we are not simply just coin holders.  We do a lot behind the scenes.  It turns out we were pretty much instrumental in why DRK was added to Bitfinex.  In addition to that, I introduced Evan Duffield to their legal counsel who is currently helping them structure the Darkcoin Foundation (which will soon be announced) of which I am a founding member.  We like to do everything we can to help our investments grow (and sometimes unfortunately things don't work out), and we'll happily offer the same help to Viacoin should Btcdrak or the community need anything.  But my gut tells me Btcdrak can handle all of this just fine.  He got this.

It is truly amazing that there are people in alts like yourself and Otoh, you guys are keeping alts afloat!
I understand that you have done due diligence before putting your money where your mouth is but I believe that your viacoin call is not the greatest one. There are other real devs that are better than btcdrak. Here are the reasons why I think btcdrak is shady:
1. No technical posts of him, even his two older posts mentioned in the blog are just saying that BTC needs another blockchain
2. During pre-sale and immediately after btcdrak was vocal how ICO is not the same as selling the premine (lack of financial knowledge?)
3. Pre-sale was done without escrow and exchange, with minimum transparency, which is still true today - no transparency
4. Impeccable pre-sale execution, however apparently little effort was put to the initial code as the blockchain was forked and for 2 days trading was halted (remember, this was before Todd came and the code was simple bitcoin clone with few lines here and there committed).  
5. Viacoin concept is someone's else idea, even the protocol is taken from another project, however due to nice marketing spin it is now considered Ethereum competitor, which it is not on any level.

The only good thing about ViaCoin is Peter Todd. There is not that much transparency as to what he is exactly doing and how much motivated he is to stay on the project.
tobeaj2mer01
Legendary

Activity: 1098

Angel investor.

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 01:57:11 AM

What's up, why VIA price keeps going down!

Sirx: SQyHJdSRPk5WyvQ5rJpwDUHrLVSvK2ffFa
forzendiablo
Legendary

Activity: 1526

the grandpa of cryptos

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 02:30:02 AM

What's up, why VIA price keeps going down!

somebody is dropping it MAD

yolo
Pizpie
Legendary

Activity: 971

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 02:34:27 AM

Where BTC goes, alts usually follow...

I'm on Twitter: @mBTCPizpie
masternode

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 02:54:14 AM
Last edit: August 16, 2014, 04:32:58 AM by masternode

yes please, let me know too how you think it's the dev?  
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=734674.msg8300530#msg8300530

Q: What happens to the viacoins that I do burn in exchange for XCH?
A: They go to fund future development of ClearingHouse.

So 600 BTC from the IPO was not enough, now he needs more funds.
For 3 days the dev already "collected" around 185 BTC (assuming he sold his 0.37m VIA at the average price of 50k)

You have no proof and you are just spreading FUD..
Ask the dev to prove his 0.37m VIA holdings. He clearly stated that the coins will be used to fund development. Doesn't that mean selling VIA for BTC?

Have you heard of ethereum?
How many BTC's have they collected so far?  Why do they need so much? What's the proof of their work?
If you think that one of the leading BTC developers is part of a scam, then I could justify what I hear from people who don't know much about BTC.  Usually the response I get from people is , "oh yeah, I hear it's the biggest scam going on now".  $6billion is a HUGE scam.  Repercussions of such a thing could cost people more than money.  

Of course not, Todd is awesome, btcdrak is shady as hell. I wonder who has the IPO BTC and who is controlling the "donation" address. If it is Todd - that is good, if it is the trader guy - I hope Todd leaves him soon.

Btw, I hope you are not serious when you try to compare viacoin with euthereum project. Viacoin is a copy-paste coin of existent technology, with some modifications. Euthereum is a completely new technology and as such deserves much more attention than a copy-paste code of viacoin. Also, btcdrak is still a shady person and he is not a coder. I hope you are not serious in comparing a trader guy to euthereum team that traveled across the globe to meet with various groups of people.

Revelation, I'm not really quite sure where you find your information about BTCdrak not being able to code or that he is "shady".  But you seem intent on disparaging him, so I'll chime in and let you know where I managed to get my information about him.

First I would like to disclose to the community that I am a large Viacoin holder.  I genuinely believe in the project.

I was fortunate enough to participate in the initial offering.  I stumbled across the ANN the day before the presale ended and managed to get 14 BTC in the presale.  I'd alerted my business partner to Viacoin, we had lunch and discussed the coin and he went on to contribute 75 BTC in the presale.  

I'm a believer that the next generation of cryptocurrency would run off it's own blockchain because the limitations of BTC were obvious to me.  I read "The Story of Viacoin" on the Viacoin blog and it resonated with me enough that I was excited about this project.  I'll admit I was very concerned that the core developer chose to remain anonymous but as I read more in the forums I'd learned that Btcdrak was a veteran member with a strong reputation amongst both developers and traders, and it put my concerns of his identity at ease enough so that I wouldn't dismiss this coin and I decided to participate in the presale.  One thing I noticed was his attention to detail, and how professional and almost flawless the Viacoin presale went from beginning to end.  His execution was impressive, and in my mind this is one of the major things that I look for in an entepreneur / core dev. and intuitively I felt that if he executed like this on the presale, then it's more probable than not that he would hold that same standard to all of his work.  But more so, I never felt like I was being sold on Viacoin, it more felt like I stumbled on a gem, and Btcdrak was just doing his thing whether or not I invested, he didn't care.  

So the presale happened, and within a couple of days a number of exchanges started picking up Viacoin, I think it was like 5 exchanges in 48 hours.  This was impressive.  Again, Btcdrak never promised anything and overdelivered.  

Then a very fortunate event occurred.  I was interviewing developers for some projects that my partner (Otoh) and I were thinking of starting up in either the Viacoin or Darkcoin ecosystem (we are also large holders of Darkcoin).  Well, one of the programming candidates out of Croatia had told me he was an investor in Viacoin as well.  The candidate was a fairly strong developer having worked for over 20 years in software development, he had experience in Unix/Linux, PHP, Perl, Java, C, C++, he had previously worked at Blue Martini software, and he was a graduate from a top university in the US (superior to my alma mater UC Berkeley).  I came to find out he had worked with Btcdrak on various projects over the last decade and he said that he knew him in real life.  Being fully aware Btcdrak did not want his identity revealed I chose not to inquire, but I asked him what he thought about Btcdrak.  His response was pretty much that a.) Btcdrak was extremely fair and honest and b.) that he was a very strong programmer and incredibly smart.  He went on to tell me that when he realized that Btcdrak was the person behind Viacoin he chose to invest in the coin.  While we did not move forward with this candidate (as we were looking for someone with more mobile experience) we have stayed in touch and he's referred us other qualified developers, leading me to firmly believe he was truthful in what he said.  

As a result of this fortunate discovery, my most major concern about this project had been resolved and what I had initially suspected about BTCdrak's level of work turned out to most likely be true.  A.) Because of the high praise of his integrity I didn't need to worry about his identity as it is extremely unlikely that this is a scam. and B.) He was a sharp individual and strong developer so I should feel confident that he will continue to overdeliver on this project.  

As such, I decided to increase my position in Viacoin considerably.  And sure enough over the next few days Btcdrak announces hiring both Grynn San and then Peter Todd, again never promising, but overdelivering.  

So Revelation, I'm not sure where you get your information about Btcdrak, but I thought I'd share with everyone where I got mine.  Also, for what it's worth, my partner and I don't make too many investments, but now when we do they are fairly considerable in size.  The last large investment we made was in Darkcoin where we acquired one of the largest stakes.  But we are not simply just coin holders.  We do a lot behind the scenes.  It turns out we were pretty much instrumental in why DRK was added to Bitfinex.  In addition to that, I introduced Evan Duffield to their legal counsel who is currently helping them structure the Darkcoin Foundation (which will soon be announced) of which I am a founding member.  We like to do everything we can to help our investments grow (and sometimes unfortunately things don't work out), and we'll happily offer the same help to Viacoin should Btcdrak or the community need anything.  But my gut tells me Btcdrak can handle all of this just fine.  He got this.

It is truly amazing that there are people in alts like yourself and Otoh, you guys are keeping alts afloat!
I understand that you have done due diligence before putting your money where your mouth is but I believe that your viacoin call is not the greatest one. There are other real devs that are better than btcdrak. Here are the reasons why I think btcdrak is shady:
1. No technical posts of him, even his two older posts mentioned in the blog are just saying that BTC needs another blockchain
2. During pre-sale and immediately after btcdrak was vocal how ICO is not the same as selling the premine (lack of financial knowledge?)
3. Pre-sale was done without escrow and exchange, with minimum transparency, which is still true today - no transparency
4. Impeccable pre-sale execution, however apparently little effort was put to the initial code as the blockchain was forked and for 2 days trading was halted (remember, this was before Todd came and the code was simple bitcoin clone with few lines here and there committed).  
5. Viacoin concept is someone's else idea, even the protocol is taken from another project, however due to nice marketing spin it is now considered Ethereum competitor, which it is not on any level.

The only good thing about ViaCoin is Peter Todd. There is not that much transparency as to what he is exactly doing and how much motivated he is to stay on the project.

1.) It's like you read nothing at all that I posted about the developer candidate that we interviewed and what we deduced from it.
2.) Yawn.
3.) It's like you read nothing at all that I posted about the developer candidate that we interviewed and what we deduced from it.
4.) Many coins fork, this is not uncommon.  What was uncommon is this was the first time I'd seen the price of an altcoin higher shortly after the fork than it had been before the fork.  
5.) All bitcoin 2.0 plays are Ethereum competitors.  Please feel free to explain in detail how this is not.  I'm curious.

You seem to have an agenda and are insistent to overlook pertinent information.  To be honest, I don't think anything I can say will change your mind.  In light of what I posted, I find it hard how someone can see him as "shady" unless you're really reaching, or unless the stars lined up perfectly in some incredibly improbable way to give a scammer credibility.

And in regards to this comment:

"It is truly amazing that there are people in alts like yourself and Otoh, you guys are keeping alts afloat!"

I bought into BTC at $75 originally and continued up until around $130 (last June I think), I never looked back and leveraged that into my other altcoin positions.  I bought into LTC at $2 up through $8 and was completely out of it above $20.  I began buying DRK at $1 all the way down to $0.55 and continued to buy it up to $3 so my average price is doing just fine even with the recent carnage.  I bought into Via at the ICO and stopped buying around 25k satoshis.  These have been my four major investments in crypto in the last 16 months.  I do just fine in finding good investments early enough to not lose on them.  

Oh yea, and Otoh's results crush mine.
realestmofo

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

If you aren't comfortable ........

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 03:16:21 AM

5.) All bitcoin 2.0 plays are Ethereum competitors.  Please feel free to explain in detail how this is not.  I'm curious.

Ethereum is a turing-complete smart contract solution re-written from scratch using an entirely new protocol which is different from Bitcoin. VIA is a Bitcoin fork. I suppose they are competitors but coming from 2 different directions.

YOU ARE DEAD TO ME
masternode

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 03:19:16 AM
Last edit: August 16, 2014, 03:29:38 AM by masternode

I suppose they are competitors but coming from 2 different directions.

Thank you.
BlackMarketKarma

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

Cyclical economic ebb and flow.

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 03:39:16 AM

Turing complete? Ethereum?...
andreibi
Legendary

Activity: 1647
Merit: 1012

Practising Hebrew before visiting Israel

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2014, 04:51:26 AM

"It is truly amazing that there are people in alts like yourself and Otoh, you guys are keeping alts afloat!"

I bought into BTC at $75 originally and continued up until around $130 (last June I think), I never looked back and leveraged that into my other altcoin positions.  I bought into LTC at $2 up through $8 and was completely out of it above $20.  I began buying DRK at $1 all the way down to $0.55 and continued to buy it up to $3 so my average price is doing just fine even with the recent carnage.  I bought into Via at the ICO and stopped buying around 25k satoshis.  These have been my four major investments in crypto in the last 16 months.  I do just fine in finding good investments early enough to not lose on them.  

Masternode, could I be your slave? I want to be your padawan.  Tongue

I bought Viacoin at ICO, 15k, 36k, 40k and I still continue buying at any price below 95k (Catch-up price to Counterparty) whenever I buy BTC.

masternode

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 05:04:44 AM

I bought Viacoin at ICO, 15k, 36k, 40k and I still continue buying at any price below 95k (Catch-up price to Counterparty) whenever I buy BTC.

Ha.

I'm always down to talk discuss theory with anyone, however lately Otoh and I have been focused more on startup investments.  New game, lots to learn.
smokim87

Activity: 952
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 05:24:36 AM

Ha.

I'm always down to talk discuss theory with anyone, however lately Otoh and I have been focused more on startup investments.  New game, lots to learn.

Might be way offtopic and feel free to not answer it Masternode. I value your opinion and just wondering whats your take on Syscoin? I know this might be way offtopic and I'll delete it if anyone objects. Just wondering your take on it as people do see it performing as good as Via when launched.
masternode

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 06:26:44 AM
Last edit: August 16, 2014, 06:42:38 AM by masternode

I'll be honest.  I dismissed investing in Syscoin early on, almost right away.  I had a visceral reaction to their video, and the fact that they were selling t-shirts, hats, and keychains on their ANN page didn't sit well with me either.  I want to see someone focused on their work, not on making some side change.  So presentation wise, they didn't grab my attention enough to bother deeply looking into what they were doing. Again it could be a winner, it just didn't fit into what I'm looking for.

Later after they had done the first portion of their IPO and had moved onto their bigger raise, I'd been told to check them out again.  From the little I did read, I noticed the guys were working on it part time (correct me if I'm wrong).  It's hard enough to change the world even when dedicated on a full time basis, it's practically impossible to do it part time.  So I stopped reading there again.

I could be wrong, and they might deliver.  But I approach investing a lot how I imagine surfing would be.  I like to see things line up right before I put any real effort into trying to catch the right wave.  If early indicators tell me it's not the right one, then I don't bother looking at it much more (unless I have good reason to come back to it).  If you try to catch every wave (or in this case invest in every coin that looks kinda interesting) you'll just be exhausted and when the good one comes along you won't be able to maximize your enjoyment, or in the case of cryptos your return.  Again, this is just how I approach it.  The video and t-shirts that I had a visceral reaction to could legitimately be the kind of thing someone else is looking for.  

This is not to say that it's not a +EV investment.  I think there is likely a good trade in there as the final Syscoin of the sale got snatched up pretty quickly.  I'm sure after it hits exchanges there'll be some money to be made.  But it's not the big wave I'm willing to try and take for a long ride.
Pages: « 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... 309 »
  Print  

Jump to: