Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:50:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 [571] 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312385 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
primer-
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 07:36:34 PM

I'm not going to speculate on the future of Ethereum ring signatures here. Monero already has a working system today - I think it will become more popular once we have more web services using it.

You don't even have a GUI, monero man-child developers (thats how Vitalik calls them) are useless. Way over 50% of hash rate are botnets.
It's dead Jim...  I'm still holding a decent amount (couple tens of thousands) but the first pump that comes along - I'm out.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 07:48:33 PM

illodin, your comment did not add to the topic of the discussion and was deleted (along with the reply quoting it).

primer-, can you support that Vitalik actually said what you claimed he said? My intuition is that you can't, it was trolling and not an actual quote, so please stop.

I suggest not to FUD then so the pump has at least a chance of happening. I have a friend who has a friend who also still has some and wants to see one more pump.

primer-
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 07:59:08 PM

illodin, your comment did not add to the topic of the discussion and was deleted (along with the reply quoting it).

He was speculating on if and when another pump might happen. That's perfectly on-topic! Stop censoring speculation topics!
Monero has only seen pumps and dumps, it was never stable above 003 for longer than a couple of weeks. Perfectly on-topic to talk about when to expect another pump, IF EVER!
dadj

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 08:02:36 PM

I'm not going to speculate on the future of Ethereum ring signatures here. Monero already has a working system today - I think it will become more popular once we have more web services using it.

You don't even have a GUI, monero man-child developers (thats how Vitalik calls them) are useless. Way over 50% of hash rate are botnets.
It's dead Jim...  I'm still holding a decent amount (couple tens of thousands) but the first pump that comes along - I'm out.
A GUI isn't as important as a good back-end foundation.

How do you know over 50% of hash rate are botnets?

Even if the majority of miners were botnets, why would that be bad? Free security is still good security.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
YOLOdice.comFast 1% Edge DiceAwesome ChartsFaucetPlay / InvestJOIN NOW!
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 08:16:09 PM
Last edit: December 12, 2015, 08:41:41 PM by fluffypony

It's dead Jim...  I'm still holding a decent amount (couple tens of thousands) but the first pump that comes along - I'm out.

Oh well, I guess I'd better copy-and-paste my comment from Reddit on the state of Ethereum:

On the topic of poor design:

- Vitalik has repeatedly eschewed and ignored commentary from researchers and plowed ahead with poor design decisions.

- Where he hasn't ignored the commentary, he has instead noted it and then layered complexity on top of the bad idea in order to make it workable (complexity is the enemy of secure cryptography and good system design).

- He also repeatedly fails to cite prior research / researchers, which I guess leads some to view him as more than he is, which in turn leads to an inherent trust in a poorly designed system.

- He uses mathematical notation in a completely incorrect manner in formal papers (some of which govern the very inner workings of Ethereum) such that mathematicians are unable to peer review the paper. If you can't understand what he's trying to express, how can you confirm if the concept is valid or the mathematical proof is correct?

- When the above is pointed out to him he (naively or foolishly or disingenuously) claims that the security of the model is "in the code" and not in the mathematical proofs. This bizarre world-view is only dangerous in light of the fact that the system has to at least protect its users somewhat.

On the topic of mismanagement:

- Instead of focusing on a single implementation they instead hired developers to build out at least 4 of the multiple implementations.

- The consequence of this was not only a breaking inter-implementation fork 6 months ago, but also has (as their security auditors put it) "testing needs...more complex than anything we've looked at before".

- They raised $18.4 million, which was almost entirely spent a year later. According to the blog post on the matter they have enough money to make it to June 2016, possibly a little beyond that. That is truly shocking, considering that Ethereum had the 4th highest crowd-funded project funds.

- Instead of biting the bullet and immediately beginning a systematic process of converting the majority of the funds raised into a store of value that would remain relatively stable for the 3-5 years it would take for the project to be built up, they kept the bulk of it in Bitcoin, resulting in a $9 million shortfall on their initial funding amount (when viewed in USD terms).

- Despite promising financial transparency with the money that had been raised, it took them over a year before they suddenly realised they actually needed to come through on that. A startup needn't make their financial activities public at all, but if that is the case then don't promise such transparency. Doing so, and then failing to deliver on that promise, points to incredible mismanagement by individuals that have no clue how to run or build up a company.

primer-
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 08:23:05 PM

Cry me a river pony, Vitalik's project is alive and kicking, yours is about to die soon. 2 years of development and you couldn't code a simple wallet GUI.
Once ethereum developers create ring signature dapp monero will die for good.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 08:28:26 PM
Last edit: December 12, 2015, 08:53:49 PM by ArticMine

Could you please fix the links in the quotation. Thanks

Edit 1: Here is the original Reddit post with working links. https://www.reddit.com/r/tech/comments/3wgcrz/the_ethereum_computer_securing_your_identity_and/cxwe78p?context=3 Thanks to dEBRUYNE

Edit 2: Links in the original quotation are now fixed.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
primer-
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 08:42:53 PM

Edit: Here is the original Reddit post with working links. https://www.reddit.com/r/tech/comments/3wgcrz/the_ethereum_computer_securing_your_identity_and/cxwe78p?context=3 Thanks to dEBRUYNE

Its easy to confuse clueless retards at /r/tech , I'd love to see him post that in /r/ethereum
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 08:43:53 PM

Cry me a river pony, Vitalik's project is alive and kicking, yours is about to die soon. 2 years of development and you couldn't code a simple wallet GUI.

Well, your immediate emotionally driven post to fluffy's counter argument shows me that you don't necessarily want to weigh out the options and discuss your view point in a mature manner.  Plus it's pretty obvious you didn't even give fluffy's reasonings any chance.  You just seem to be another FUD troll,  and don't bring up any legitimate arguments for your reasoning in wanting to "defend" ethereum.

I'll try and take some time and look at all the links, thanks for the post fluffy.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 08:51:16 PM

Edit: Here is the original Reddit post with working links. https://www.reddit.com/r/tech/comments/3wgcrz/the_ethereum_computer_securing_your_identity_and/cxwe78p?context=3 Thanks to dEBRUYNE

Fixed

"Alive and kicking" only because it created $18 million in bagholders.

Our unfunded little project has had 1335 commits in the 591 days since we took over as stewards. In that time our 32 contributors have added 283 704 new lines of code, modified 17 388 lines of code, and removed 1056 lines of code.

And we did it for a minuscule fraction of the $18 million raised by Ethereum. But I'm surely preaching to the choir here - as a CEO of a large corporation, you'd surely never let such a phenomenal amount of money be wasted, would you?

smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 08:58:09 PM

He was speculating on if and when another pump might happen.

His post did not in any way address when another pump might happen. That would be on topic at least. It is still there is anyone wants to read it.

I see you have not responded to my request that you document your alleged Vitalik quote. If you can't do so it will be deleted.

smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:01:19 PM

Well, your immediate emotionally driven post

Maybe emotionally driven, and maybe he is shorting.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:05:03 PM

Monero community is evidently small - the evidence is the <$10 million marketcap. That does not mean we are about to die, however  Wink

If you want to short, come to daddy   Grin

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
primer-
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:09:00 PM

And we did it for a minuscule fraction of the $18 million raised by Ethereum. But I'm surely preaching to the choir here - as a CEO of a large corporation, you'd surely never let such a phenomenal amount of money be wasted, would you?

I don't think money was wasted and neither does Microsoft. Stop feeling butthurt, project you forked from the original ring signatures developers failed.
It happens. Startups/projects that don't succeed in the first two years usually fail.. Next time work harder!

Ethereum has two years to prove its worthiness, so far they are doing great!
primer-
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:10:01 PM

Monero community is evidently small - the evidence is the <$10 million marketcap. That does not mean we are about to die, however  Wink

If you want to short, come to daddy   Grin

Risto is Monero's MICROSOFT  Grin Unfortunately his pockets are not as deep  Smiley
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 09:13:51 PM

I don't think money was wasted and neither does Microsoft. Stop feeling butthurt, project you forked from the original ring signatures developers failed.
It happens. Startups/projects that don't succeed in the first two years usually fail.. Next time work harder!

So as a CEO of a large company you would be completely fine with what has been done with $18 million? Either your claims of being a CEO is farcical, or you're such a trust fund baby that you have no idea how to value money.

Or, as smooth said, you're shorting.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:20:00 PM

Our unfunded little project has had 1335 commits in the 591 days since we took over as stewards. In that time our 32 contributors have added 283 704 new lines of code, modified 17 388 lines of code, and removed 1056 lines of code.
Combined with no tagged binary release in over a year.

If you want to short, come to daddy    Grin
Something tells me this can be the perfect setup for a brutal short squeeze.

Edit: In this kind of market I am a strong believer in staying long and taking delivery. Taking delivery has been proven to be the most effective method of squeezing the shorts to the wall. In this case, in order to take delivery, this means compiling the Monero software from source on GNU/Linux.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
primer-
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:32:54 PM

So as a CEO of a large company you would be completely fine with what has been done with $18 million? Either your claims of being a CEO is farcical, or you're such a trust fund baby that you have no idea how to value money.

$18 million sounds like a fortune to you doesn't it ? You run an import/export company with less than 1m annual turnover and you think you're a wiseguy.
How do I know its less than 1m ? You look cheap. Your watch costs $100 or less.

Microsoft does not invest in projects that are unlikely to succeed or are led by amateurs. Vitalik is young, he has the capacity to learn. Ethereum is as revolutionary to cryptocurrency as web was to the internet.
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:36:06 PM

A lot of conjecture. Rich people aren't rich because they spunk money.

Controlling costs is business 101 not no longer  an problem when you are successful.

The art of business is scaling up without spiraling costs.

dadj

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 09:39:05 PM

$18 million sounds like a fortune to you doesn't it ? You run an import/export company with less than 1m annual turnover and you think you're a wiseguy.
How do I know its less than 1m ? You look cheap. Your watch costs $100 or less.

Microsoft does not invest in projects that are unlikely to succeed or are led by amateurs. Vitalik is young, he has the capacity to learn. Ethereum is as revolutionary to cryptocurrency as web was to the internet.
Please take your pretentious attitude somewhere else. If you want to proselytise about Ethereum you're in the wrong thread.

YOLOdice.comFast 1% Edge DiceAwesome ChartsFaucetPlay / InvestJOIN NOW!
Pages: « 1 ... 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 [571] 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: