Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 06:31:29 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 [350] 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 ... 548 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CRYPTSY stopping withdraw locking accounts without notifying users! Class Action  (Read 1006529 times)
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 02:02:48 AM

Right this moment Im sure people are looking to replicate this attack elsewhere, does shapeshift avoid this by lining up contracts not holding the funds itself Im not sure

They do to some extent. Even if shapeshift has to hold some reserves for faster trading that's still far less than when users start treating an exchange as an online wallet.

However Cryptsy's issue - if we believe the official story, which is shaky at best - wasn't really the centralized nature of the exchange. It was the sheer stupidity of holding 10k+ BTC in "warm" wallets. Any properly operating exchange should not sacrifice security for convenience and should not put more funds at risk than is absolutely necessary to keep in the hot wallet at any given time. Which can still become a big issue if it goes unnoticed for a long period, e.g. Bitstamp hack, so obviously it has to be done with all sorts of other alerts and precautions,

Funny how the funds got "warm" after Team Cryptsy had just announced that funds weren't online (cold wallet/storage) and an audit had just taken place, thus the site was safe and ready to accept more moneys into the system.

Funny, still, how Paul Vernon claims in this blog that spending was cut back due to the hack, but a ~U$1.3M home was purchased for him and his retarded wife and two retarded kids, retarded because that's the ONLY reason I can think of for the honorable Paul Vernon to leave his loving family for another Chinese piece of ass not as retarded having a normal kid that may or may not be sucking his new daddy's dick.
CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 02:35:32 AM

Just read the tweet...the receiver has been identified:

http://www.sallahcox.com/james-d-sallah-esq.html

Edit: As bad as this situation is there is a TON of value left in Cryptsy. It is foreseeable that it can continue to operate under new management. The bad management by the current team should not reflect on new future owners/operators. Yes, it will be difficult to overcome the stigma left with what occurred to get them to this point but as a whole the only downfall was the (supposed) theft of funds.

Does this mean bitebi9 has to close down because they are using the trade engine which is IP of project investors and not licensed to them? Bao Luo aka Paul Vernon should lose that then right....

Bitebi9 may have purchased the right to use the trade engine/source, etc....the receiver will have to look at the terms of the contract (if there is one) and try to extract as much value out of it for the benefit of the creditors/debtors/account holders. Keep in mind though that trying to enforce anything with a company in China will be difficult at best (I would imagine).

I suppose you (court/judge) could connect the dots and make a case that Bitebi9 was a "way out" of the mess by Paul and attempt to take over control of that company as well but again...China :/  ...think there is a word/legal term for this type of thing but it's been a long week. e.g someone takes all the assets of a failed business to start a new one leaving the debtors holding the bag.

o0o0
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1021

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 02:39:07 AM

Edit: As bad as this situation is there is a TON of value left in Cryptsy. It is foreseeable that it can continue to operate under new management. The bad management by the current team should not reflect on new future owners/operators. Yes, it will be difficult to overcome the stigma left with what occurred to get them to this point but as a whole the only downfall was the (supposed) theft of funds.

Does this mean bitebi9 has to close down because they are using the trade engine which is IP of project investors and not licensed to them? Bao Luo aka Paul Vernon should lose that then right....

Bitebi9 may have purchased the right to use the trade engine/source, etc....the receiver will have to look at the terms of the contract (if there is one) and try to extract as much value out of it for the benefit of the creditors/debtors/account holders. Keep in mind though that trying to enforce anything with a company in China will be difficult at best (I would imagine).

I suppose you (court/judge) could connect the dots and make a case that Bitebi9 was a "way out" of the mess by Paul and attempt to take over control of that company as well but again...China :/  ...think there is a word/legal term for this type of thing but it's been a long week. e.g someone takes all the assets of a failed business to start a new one leaving the debtors holding the bag.

bitebi9 is paul vernon aka project investors.. surely selling it to yourself for nothing or giving it away to yourself would look shonky and not hold up. But then again when he's in china how are you going to stop him using it... o look i recoded something that just happens to look like the old one.. i stayed up all night to do it because im just that awesome at it.
o0o0
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1021

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 02:39:36 AM

Right this moment Im sure people are looking to replicate this attack elsewhere, does shapeshift avoid this by lining up contracts not holding the funds itself Im not sure

They do to some extent. Even if shapeshift has to hold some reserves for faster trading that's still far less than when users start treating an exchange as an online wallet.

However Cryptsy's issue - if we believe the official story, which is shaky at best - wasn't really the centralized nature of the exchange. It was the sheer stupidity of holding 10k+ BTC in "warm" wallets. Any properly operating exchange should not sacrifice security for convenience and should not put more funds at risk than is absolutely necessary to keep in the hot wallet at any given time. Which can still become a big issue if it goes unnoticed for a long period, e.g. Bitstamp hack, so obviously it has to be done with all sorts of other alerts and precautions,

Funny how the funds got "warm" after Team Cryptsy had just announced that funds weren't online (cold wallet/storage) and an audit had just taken place, thus the site was safe and ready to accept more moneys into the system.

Funny, still, how Paul Vernon claims in this blog that spending was cut back due to the hack, but a ~U$1.3M home was purchased for him and his retarded wife and two retarded kids, retarded because that's the ONLY reason I can think of for the honorable Paul Vernon to leave his loving family for another Chinese piece of ass not as retarded having a normal kid that may or may not be sucking his new daddy's dick.

Maybe paul thought the servers being in a cold airconditioned environment meant that was cold storage?
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 02:51:50 AM

Maybe paul thought the servers being in a cold airconditioned environment meant that was cold storage?

At least Paul's balls were keep warm while being cupped by Marshall Long, perhaps causing Jim Slockney to become jealous.
CryptoNick
Legendary

Activity: 987
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 03:30:24 AM

so to anyone who has been watching the whole Eternal Insolent and Cryptcracker show in the other thread, they are the same person.

This was posted for about two min and then deleted:

Eternal Insolent posted saying that he was making another dispatch news post today and they and paul had talked to Eternal Insolent and that a resolution was near.

However they logged in as Eternal Insolent by mistake when it was posted. It was deleted right after, but there it is... clear as you need.

Nice catch !

Although it won't form an anagram of anything as interesting, I suggest an account rename to Eternal Incompetent

OOOOH NOOO! LMAO!!! their own incompetence ruined their own deal to give the 1000 BTC to themselves and save face by returning the funds to themselves! Now everyone knows for a fact Cryptsy is behind their own hack. They may have sent it back and made it seem like a Contract was signed with an anonymous person. Now that they are caught posting from the "Bounty Hunters" account it is proof that they would hack themselves and perpetuate the perception they tried to use to make themselves look innocent. Even if they did it as a joke it now incriminates them even further. As if we needed more proof lol...
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 03:36:01 AM

so to anyone who has been watching the whole Eternal Insolent and Cryptcracker show in the other thread, they are the same person.

This was posted for about two min and then deleted:

Eternal Insolent posted saying that he was making another dispatch news post today and they and paul had talked to Eternal Insolent and that a resolution was near.

However they logged in as Eternal Insolent by mistake when it was posted. It was deleted right after, but there it is... clear as you need.

Nice catch !

Although it won't form an anagram of anything as interesting, I suggest an account rename to Eternal Incompetent

OOOOH NOOO! LMAO!!! their own incompetence ruined their own deal to give the 1000 BTC to themselves and save face by returning the funds to themselves! Now everyone knows for a fact Cryptsy is behind their own hack. They may have sent it back and made it seem like a Contract was signed with an anonymous person. Now that they are caught posting from the "Bounty Hunters" account it is proof that they would hack themselves and perpetuate the perception they tried to use to make themselves look innocent. Even if they did it as a joke it now incriminates them even further. As if we needed more proof lol...

Meanwhile, Jim Slockney and Leroy Fodor are calling me a nutter, with some other dude new to the scene using proof provided by Leroy and Joshua Zipkin that I'm not to be trusted in spite of it's me that's helping him. Weird fuckers, I say.
Phildo
Legendary

Activity: 1526

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 04:30:40 AM

People keep saying this, but I don't see any value.

A name in the shitter. Software that can't be trusted because whether or not they stole the coins, it's been proven that they installed a malware infested wallet at leat once. Wouldn't it just be easier to start over from scratch?
CartmanSPC
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 08:52:53 AM
Last edit: March 19, 2016, 09:16:03 AM by CartmanSPC

A name in the shitter. Software that can't be trusted because whether or not they stole the coins, it's been proven that they installed a malware infested wallet at leat once. Wouldn't it just be easier to start over from scratch?

I believe the supposed theft was possible because they did not isolate (sandbox) each wallet. The compromised wallet was able to send commands to other wallets because they were on the same server or network. That really had nothing to do with the exchange itself.

Maybe my use and emphasis of the word "ton" was too strong but I believe there is value in the framework/customers/...and yes, even the name...although if it was me taking over I would seriously consider changing it. Up until they stopped trades it was the biggest and most successful altcoin exchange (that I am aware of). Other than liquidity issues (being able to withdraw) it ran fairly well. Their only real issue (again from my perspective..I was not a big user) was a lack of funds from the supposed theft.

This is of course me looking at it from the outside. Under the hood it could be a mess and any potential future owner/buyer would have to make that determination. It is conceivable that the receiver attempts to sell the code and any remaining assets rather than try to continue operating. Actually that is most likely what he will do.

Edit: Just realized...the Cryptsy wallets would have had to be running UNLOCKED for the hack to occur.  Shocked

bitofanoob

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 02:16:22 PM

I believe the supposed theft was possible because they did not isolate (sandbox) each wallet. The compromised wallet was able to send commands to other wallets because they were on the same server or network. That really had nothing to do with the exchange itself.

Simpler hypothesis : this was an inside job, they stole. Don't fall for their smoke screens.

Maybe my use and emphasis of the word "ton" was too strong but I believe there is value in the framework/customers/...and yes, even the name...although if it was me taking over I would seriously consider changing it.

Contradiction. Same was said for Mtgox, and at a time there was a fake draft project that circulated, probably crafted by Karpeles himself, claiming the enterprise could go on under the new name Gox.

Up until they stopped trades it was the biggest and most successful altcoin exchange (that I am aware of). Other than liquidity issues (being able to withdraw) it ran fairly well. Their only real issue (again from my perspective..I was not a big user) was a lack of funds from the supposed theft.

You're pretty funny. They run rather well as a cryptomoney service, it's just they don't have the money anymore. Not different from shitty banks everywhere in the world, they run well though they don't have the money they claim is due to their customers, fractional reserve crooks one way or the other.

This is of course me looking at it from the outside. Under the hood it could be a mess and any potential future owner/buyer would have to make that determination. It is conceivable that the receiver attempts to sell the code and any remaining assets rather than try to continue operating. Actually that is most likely what he will do.

Edit: Just realized...the Cryptsy wallets would have had to be running UNLOCKED for the hack to occur.  Shocked

Put Vernon and cronies between the hands of justice. Then if these morons didn't fuck up the theft, the keys could be retrieved. Best scenario.
gembitz

Activity: 1834
Merit: 639

*Brute force will solve any Bitcoin problem*

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 03:29:23 PM

Maybe my use and emphasis of the word "ton" was too strong but I believe there is value in the framework/customers/...and yes, even the name...although if it was me taking over I would seriously consider changing it. Up until they stopped trades it was the biggest and most successful altcoin exchange (that I am aware of). Other than liquidity issues (being able to withdraw) it ran fairly well. Their only real issue (again from my perspective..I was not a big user) was a lack of funds from the supposed theft.

you must not have used the site much, it was the buggiest exchange ever!  Cheesy  who would buy this debt hole is cray ! lol

©2021*MY POSTS ARE STRICTLY FOR NOVELTY AND/OR PRESERVATION/COLLECTING PURPOSES ONLY!*It should not be regarded as investment/trading advice.*advocate to promote sharing and free software for the bitcoin community* #EFF #FSF #XTZ ===> START WITH NOTHING AND BUILD IT INTO SOMETHING!
ThePhwner

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

something something Bitcoin

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 10:27:53 PM

You wouldn't believe how many dumbass exchange operators, pool operators, etc., have done exactly this... Just because crypto is on the fringe doesn't mean it isn't full of dumbasses that have no business programming or being in charge of money.

Hand-carved Bitcoin stamps for sale: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1247131
2 for $25 including shipping
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 12:31:56 AM

Correctamundo, the Cryptsy wallets were NEVER off-line while the person who calls me a NUTTER - Jim Shockney - was claiming to its users that Cryptsy was secure with ALL its wallets off-line protecting their assets worth millions. BTW, May 20, 2013, to July 29, 2014, is the only timeframe that Cryptsy could've been operating on the up-and-up, but that's highly unlikely given all the evidence presented to date. It's been ONE BIG FUCKIN' LIE from the start, with John Hammes aka BitJohn supposedly being stationed in a war zone in Afghanistan working for Cryptsy sans pay till he trained Jim Shockney and his support team in October 2013, from Paul Vernon's Support Shift that was defunct in January 2013, all documented. The other two lyin' pieces of shit were Mullick and John MacPherson... oh, and Marshall Long.
TheTommyD

Activity: 319
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 02:15:10 AM

Hey Gleb I bet you can translate these Lyrics to The Cryptsy Situation...

There is no pain, you are receding
A distant ship smoke on the horizon
You are only coming through in waves
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
When I was a child I had a fever
My hands felt just like two balloons
Now I've got that feeling once again
I can't explain, you would not understand
This is not how I am
I have become comfortably numb

BTC: 1DEj5mbjoYXqvRKfoS4yqtdvSKHpQ4hFLu
CartmanSPC
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 02:48:03 AM

who would buy this debt hole is cray ! lol

They wouldn't buy the debt...only the assets. Proceeds from the sale would go to the debt holders. This is what a receiver does. Tries to recover value of whatever assets still exist for the benefit of the debtors.

you must not have used the site much, it was the buggiest exchange ever!

Really? It sucked as an exchange then? I'm not talking asking it's liquidity problems...just it's function as an exchange.

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 03:24:38 AM

who would buy this debt hole is cray ! lol

They wouldn't buy the debt...only the assets. Proceeds from the sale would go to the debt holders. This is what a receiver does. Tries to recover value of whatever assets still exist for the benefit of the debtors.

you must not have used the site much, it was the buggiest exchange ever!

Really? It sucked as an exchange then? I'm not talking asking it's liquidity problems...just it's function as an exchange.

They liquidated HashTrade. To date, $0 paid to creditors.
They liquidated BFL. To date, $0 paid to creditors.
Johann Gevers of Monetas liquidated Sonny Vleisides' Laissez Faire City (circa early 2000s). To date, $0 paid to creditors.

Laissez Faire City Founders looking for revenge?

An excerpt:

James Ray Houston has ripped off a lot of money from people many times.
The trail starts in Las Vegas , then Florida and on to Costa Rica, who knows where it will end?
None of the assets from Landco, the real estate part of LFC ever showed up on the truly laughable audit. A lot of assets "somehow" did not make it to the audit, Johann Gevers must be a student of the Leavenworth system of accounting.
Grabbe has some sort of deal going with Sealand, could be where he hosts the DMT stuff. A lot of porn and spam comes from there so he would fit right in.
One of the unmasked BOG( Board of Oversight Governors)used the nym Graywing, real name Magdalena Donea, runs this site http://www.lfcgate.com/
and this one
http://thirdhost.com/
She is married to Patrick G. McCuller, another fellow with real "inside " info.
This is a site run by an LFC "insider" http://www.scamdog.com/
And this one http://ica.citystateinc.com/
And the nym Howard Huge is really Steve Randall of this site
http://www.randallsquared.com/
And then there is http://www.metropipe.net/, just took over Mailvault, run by yet another LFC alumni.
And Grabbe is right there http://www.orlingrabbe.com/homepage.html

And the low risk high value stock they trade in is the names and emails and payment histories of Sovereign Individuals.
High net worth sovereign translates in idiot to english as- has cash -will send to strangers.
They are not on the run because when a scammer steals from libertarians or sovereigns there was very little risk.

"I see patterns!"
thunderjet

Activity: 916
Merit: 312

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 03:30:57 AM

Cryptsy hot wallet was not locked for sure.Supposed cold wallet too.

"Hacker" behaviour was too odd for the hacker.He took 500 BTC from hot wallet immediately,than during 5,5 hours hack took LTC,BTCD,XC and then on the very end he took 11825 BTC from "cold" wallet.

"Hacker" risked so much during these 5.5 hours to be detected and stopped.He did not take main prize of 11825 BTC immediately,but he took many other altcoins of much less value first.Not at one hacker would do that.This very special "hacker" was so sure that nobody can stop it and that he has so much time on disposal,that he can allow himself luxury to take shitty altcoins first,and 12000 BTC on the end,after 5,5 hours of full rampage.

After all,Vernon looked for 1 year how "hacker" directly,without any hiding sending stolen altcoins to exchanges and cash out 4685 BTC.And do nothing about it,except he bought $1.3 millions house and 2 luxury SUVs for another $120.000.

When all altcoins were sold in July.2015, he went to China and open exchange exactly on anniversary of theft 28.July.

Finally in the big finale,coins from unhacked wallets and cash vanished from Cryptsy and Cryptsy Canada.

All these things are more than enough for red Interpol warrant for arresting.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 03:52:41 AM

Cryptsy hot wallet was not locked for sure.Supposed cold wallet too.

"Hacker" behaviour was too odd for the hacker.He took 500 BTC from hot wallet immediately,than during 5,5 hours hack took LTC,BTCD,XC and then on the very end he took 11825 BTC from "cold" wallet.

"Hacker" risked so much during these 5.5 hours to be detected and stopped.He did not take main prize of 11825 BTC immediately,but he took many other altcoins of much less value first.Not at one hacker would do that.This very special "hacker" was so sure that nobody can stop it and that he has so much time on disposal,that he can allow himself luxury to take shitty altcoins first,and 12000 BTC on the end,after 5,5 hours of full rampage.

After all,Vernon looked for 1 year how "hacker" directly,without any hiding sending stolen altcoins to exchanges and cash out 4685 BTC.And do nothing about it,except he bought $1.3 millions house and 2 luxury SUVs for another $120.000.

When all altcoins were sold in July.2015, he went to China and open exchange exactly on anniversary of theft 28.July.

Finally in the big finale,coins from unhacked wallets and cash vanished from Cryptsy and Cryptsy Canada.

All these things are more than enough for red Interpol warrant for arresting.

Sell bitcoins on the street in Florida, get arrested, and the Bitcoin-themed rags dedicate copy about the ordeal. Prove beyond a shadow of doubt that Sonny Vleisides was using a third-party payment processor that they're licensed for as an exchange that they're not licensed for to the tune of over U$10M and nary a Bitcoin-themed periodical pens a single word.

BFL even set up a charity that it funded and funds from others were donated to the cause, then later the funds were used to pay its ongoing expenses.
broken_pixel

Activity: 770

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 10:03:08 PM

Bitcoin trading platform BitQuick announced on Thursday, March 17, that it would be shutting down its service for the next two to four weeks to investigate a cyber-attack that took place on Monday, March 14.

https://www.bitquick.co/

GA-990FXA-UD5, 1x 7970L, 2x S1, AX1200i, RIVBE, 2x R290x, NEX1500, BTC: 1G9cQix8bMgh35MQ9wY3Rb9yNSSCtnoRmK, DGC: DFo9FcKYsutv9Vx5c5xUzkrt7VJdECZWTM, LTC: LaAN33aktPGaimN5ALL9kjHjuJekfmKfTh
ThePhwner

Activity: 616

something something Bitcoin

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 10:58:46 PM

Bitcoin trading platform BitQuick announced on Thursday, March 17, that it would be shutting down its service for the next two to four weeks to investigate a cyber-attack that took place on Monday, March 14.

https://www.bitquick.co/

That can't be right... aren't you supposed to wait at least 18 months to report alleged security incidents?

Hand-carved Bitcoin stamps for sale: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1247131
2 for $25 including shipping
Pages: « 1 ... 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 [350] 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 ... 548 »
  Print  

Jump to: