Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:12:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 [444] 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 ... 814 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [1500 TH] p2pool: Decentralized, DoS-resistant, Hop-Proof pool  (Read 2591625 times)
wknight
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin calls me an Orphan

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 03:51:09 PM

Any word on when the stats page http://p2pool.info/ is coming back?  It's been down for days now.  It was fully transfered to forrestv a few months ago right?

Yes, I control it, and I'll fix it soon, hopefully in the next day.

Any update on this?

Update? C'mon - this is p2pool. Updates are unheard of..... Wink

Ask again in 12 months.

p2pool.info is just a hosted p2pool node.. the p2pool software works just fine

Mining Both Bitcoin and Litecoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CaptEmulation

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 05:12:40 PM

Incorrect.  p2pool.info is supposed to be a global p2pool stat page bit has been down/broken for more than a month.

DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6235

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 05:42:23 PM

From a conversation in another thread, about the "unknown" finders of blocks.

http://unknownpool.com:9332
and
http://unknownminingpool.com:9332

Enjoy.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
PatMan

Activity: 924

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 07:36:55 PM

Incorrect.  p2pool.info is supposed to be a global p2pool stat page bit has been down/broken for more than a month.

It became invisible as soon as the invisible dev here took it over........ Cheesy Cheesy

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
norgan

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

Decentralize your hashing - p2pool - Norgz Pool

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 09:35:05 PM

Look, all p2pool code is available on githib, including the stat page. The dev does this for free essentially and you are most welcome to contribute via github. If you complain about lack of updates, then I'm sorry but you just sound like an ungrateful brat.
Why would the dev respond to such behavior?

Either put your money where your mouth is and donate or contribute code yourself. Don't come crying here about lack of dev updates.
You can choose to use another commercial pool if you are not happy.

Miner, tech geek, operator of NorgzPool - Sydney Australia P2Pool Node creator of p2pool fancy front end

Tips: 1NorganBbymShTN2MMpfGzRYJF8mcPeXjv Exchange BTC locally in Australia or Donate to p2pool miners
windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 10:00:16 PM

Look, all p2pool code is available on githib, including the stat page. The dev does this for free essentially and you are most welcome to contribute via github. If you complain about lack of updates, then I'm sorry but you just sound like an ungrateful brat.

Either put your money where your mouth is and donate or contribute code yourself. Don't come crying here about lack of dev updates.

Have to agree with norgan here. This is an open source project, anyone can contribute.

Complaining about a service that you have not paid for that has already contributed greatly to the Bitcoin community is unproductive.

While I do not have the coding chops to try and add some of the core functionality I'd like to see to p2pool, I have been working on a more user friendly and content rich front end. Maybe someday I'll hire a dev to work with me on the back-end stuff that I feel is lacking, but until then I'm grateful to Forrest V. for releasing his source, and to this community for keeping p2pool running strong.

Just my .02 bits...

jedimstr

Activity: 798

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 12:45:18 AM

So, right before the latest block found and usual virgin generated BTC payout, there was another much smaller payout that wasn't generated, but it did go to p2pool associated wallet addresses.

Was that a general donation to P2Pool miners, or was that mdude77's merged mining donations being sent out to everyone?

norgan

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 12:48:30 AM

So, right before the latest block found and usual virgin generated BTC payout, there was another much smaller payout that wasn't generated, but it did go to p2pool associated wallet addresses.

Was that a general donation to P2Pool miners, or was that mdude77's merged mining donations being sent out to everyone?

I only see the two block payments. nothing in between from p2pool

Miner, tech geek, operator of NorgzPool - Sydney Australia P2Pool Node creator of p2pool fancy front end

Tips: 1NorganBbymShTN2MMpfGzRYJF8mcPeXjv Exchange BTC locally in Australia or Donate to p2pool miners
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 12:48:38 AM

Wasn't me.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
jedimstr

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 12:52:09 AM

I only see the two block payments. nothing in between from p2pool

It doesn't show up on the UI or P2pool stats...but it was definitely a payout to p2pool associated addresses.  At least I got it in the address I only use for P2Pool.

Here's the Transaction: https://blockchain.info/address/1Q3PppNci5gTKmxpCa7VytXxc3PMv7XDkm

jedimstr

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 12:53:12 AM

Wasn't me.

M

Oh well... may be a donation then?  Good news regardless...

Wait, None of you guys got this little tip in your P2Pool associated addresses?

Update: Seems to be too few addresses in this payout to be for all miners...maybe it was just sent out to specific default addresses for P2Pool Nodes?

mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 12:56:37 AM

Wasn't me.

M

Oh well... may be a donation then?  Good news regardless...

I'm not in p2pool.  I'm not wasting 10% of my hashpower pointing my S2s at it. 

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
jedimstr

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 12:58:28 AM

Wasn't me.

M

M

You still run your node though right?  Assuming you have a default address associated with it?

mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:02:26 AM

Wasn't me.

M

M

You still run your node though right?  Assuming you have a default address associated with it?

Yes.  Those types of distributions typically go out based on share size on the alt chain.  My share size is 0... so I get nothing.

When I sent out my merged mine distribution a month or so ago, my share size was small enough it classified as dust.  Sneeze and you'd blow it away and never know it was there to begin with.

M

PatMan

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 01:10:00 AM

I wasn't going to bother responding to this, but as you're relatively new here I thought I'd help you out on a few points, this being a forum & all that:

Look, all p2pool code is available on githib, including the stat page. .

Correct. And?

The dev does this for free essentially

No, he doesn't. He collects donations from hundreds of users.

If you complain about lack of updates

Complaining? That's for noobs. I'm stating facts. It's lack of any development & communication I'm commenting on.

then I'm sorry but you just sound like an ungrateful brat.

No need to be sorry, but name calling is a little weak & childish. Let's not go there.

Dev doesn't respond to anything, at all. That's the problem. See above.

Either put your money where your mouth is and donate or contribute code yourself.

If I was a coder, I would. For free.

Don't come crying here about lack of dev updates.

Who's crying? Didn't you see the happy faces in my last comment? And I've been mining "here" since day one - quite a little longer than your 70 posts  Wink

Do you think I don't know that?

I chose to use p2pool from the very beginning of my mining days because I believe that the p2p ethos is perfect for a p2p crypto - that's why we are all here. But, as other users have correctly pointed out for over year, p2pool has become outdated abandonware. Mining hardware has changed dramatically over the last few months even, and every pool has adjusted it's code accordingly to match the ever changing needs of it's users hardware. Every pool apart from p2pool that is. Most of the successful pools devs are in constant communication with it's users on their pools forum thread so as to iron out any issues that occur due to the constantly changing hardware being used, but not this one. Not a squeak. New users are left with having to "hope" their expensive hardware works with p2pool, and if it doesn't - that's tough - and the dev won't post or do anything about it, so more potential miners are lost, again. Don't you think that this might have something to do with why p2pool hasn't grown at the same rate as every other pool over the last year?

Another p2pool user posted a few pages back:   https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=18313.msg7145465#msg7145465   and was 100% correct. There are many, many posts throughout this thread saying exactly the same thing, and all have gone unanswered or ignored. Every now and again some noob will come along in a temper tantrum & spit his dummy out because he doesn't agree with what someone says about p2pool  - but in a few months they will be gone like the rest, while I will still be here, trying to get p2pool to be the pool that it should be. If that means upsetting a few people, so be it. It's bad enough nothing being done as it is, but if we get to the stage where nobody says anything about it - we're screwed for sure.

So, learn to live with it, while you're here. And keep your insults to yourself.

Peace & Love.

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
PatMan

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 01:16:58 AM

I'm not wasting 10% of my hashpower pointing my S2s at it.

Same issue here, seems most of my new hardware has to be pointed somewhere else....... Angry

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 01:21:09 AM

Don't want to use p2pool? At least use a small pool like mmpool

Death to ghash and its users

norgan

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 01:39:54 AM

PatMan, my time or rank on this board should not have any bearing on my ability to work with open source projects and know how to work with projects such as this and with the devs who graciously give their time to do these projects.
I've been involved for many years on various boards, forums and projects, not that I have to justify myself to you.

I am simply calling it as I see it. yes it would be nice to see more development and I love new builds as much as the next but what goal does complaining about it achieve? He may have been taking donations but it's probably far less than the commercial rate he should be working for such a project and I think these days it's few and far between to have a node with donation set.

You choose p2pool to support decentralized pool hashing or you go take more regular payouts elsewhere. Let's actually try to find a solution to problems rather than just pointing them out. That's the whole point of an open source project.

What do we need to do to attract devs to contributing to the core p2pool project? obviously the original dev has either no time, no interest and/or no motivation to contribute further so how do we get more on board to help?

Like yourself I am no coder either and would contribute if I could, however, since I can't I have no place to complain about that lack of development. put up or shut up really, pretty good mantra in life and especially open source projects. Wink

jedimstr

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 02:02:59 AM

PatMan, my time or rank on this board should not have any bearing on my ability to work with open source projects and know how to work with projects such as this and with the devs who graciously give their time to do these projects.
I've been involved for many years on various boards, forums and projects, not that I have to justify myself to you.

I am simply calling it as I see it. yes it would be nice to see more development and I love new builds as much as the next but what goal does complaining about it achieve? He may have been taking donations but it's probably far less than the commercial rate he should be working for such a project and I think these days it's few and far between to have a node with donation set.

You choose p2pool to support decentralized pool hashing or you go take more regular payouts elsewhere. Let's actually try to find a solution to problems rather than just pointing them out. That's the whole point of an open source project.

What do we need to do to attract devs to contributing to the core p2pool project? obviously the original dev has either no time, no interest and/or no motivation to contribute further so how do we get more on board to help?

Like yourself I am no coder either and would contribute if I could, however, since I can't I have no place to complain about that lack of development. put up or shut up really, pretty good mantra in life and especially open source projects. Wink

Just to bring this tangent back to earth.... And to be fair....

The original questions surrounded the fixing and updating of the p2pook.info status site.

This is not a p2pool node and the code for this Azure hosted site (please other long time p2poolers, please correct me if I'm wrong), was closed source and not available on Github.

P2pool.info was originally a 3rd party service that was well maintained and updated for awhile and many used it as a great reference (including some of the prominent pool comparing statisticians here on the forums). It was basically the only place that people could see the overall long term block statistics, user statistics, and most important for a lot of us, the Luck Graph for the whole p2pool network.

Then, earlier this year, forrestv took over running the formerly third party site because the original owner/developer didn't have the time to devote to it.  He did the correct thing and announced in this thread that he needed to move on and asked for someone to take over. Forrestv graciously stepped up when no one stepped up and the original developer gave him the site and all associated account/code stuff.

Jump ahead a few months and now p2pool.info is down for more than a month and forrestv replied to my query saying he would take a look when he had a chance (a few weeks ago).

No one else can really contribute to p2pool.info at the moment, unlike p2pool in general, due to it not being open. So we can only poke forrestv and see if he can take the time to get it back up and running. 

That's why people are up in arms.   So your argument about other developers joining in to help and the open source argument doesn't really apply in this case.

norgan

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 02:08:59 AM

Just to bring this tangent back to earth.... And to be fair....

The original questions surrounded the fixing and updating of the p2pook.info status site.

This is not a p2pool node and the code for this Azure hosted site (please other long time p2poolers, please correct me if I'm wrong), was closed source and not available on Github.

P2pool.info was originally a 3rd party service that was well maintained and updated for awhile and many used it as a great reference (including some of the prominent pool comparing statisticians here on the forums). It was basically the only place that people could see the overall long term block statistics, user statistics, and most important for a lot of us, the Luck Graph for the whole p2pool network.

Then, earlier this year, forrestv took over running the formerly third party site because the original owner/developer didn't have the time to devote to it.  He did the correct thing and announced in this thread that he needed to move on and asked for someone to take over. Forrestv graciously stepped up when no one stepped up and the original developer gave him the site and all associated account/code stuff.

Jump ahead a few months and now p2pool.info is down for more than a month and forrestv replied to my query saying he would take a look when he had a chance (a few weeks ago).

No one else can really contribute to p2pool.info at the moment, unlike p2pool in general, due to it not being open. So we can only poke forrestv and see if he can take the time to get it back up and running. 

That's why people are up in arms.   So your argument about other developers joining in to help and the open source argument doesn't really apply in this case.

actually p2pool.info is open source and I have a copy running on Azure in an effort to help. only thing is I don't know how to get it up to date. It shows current users and hash rate as well as expected time to next block but the luck and time between older blocks is out due to those stats missing.

https://github.com/ervwalter/p2pool.info is the github

p2poolinfo.azurewebsites.net is the site I ran up.

As little coding as I know I have managed to help out where I can by running up this extra instance and doing some work on the node front end.

Pages: « 1 ... 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 [444] 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 ... 814 »
  Print  

Jump to: