Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:11:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058401 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 05:56:15 PM

Lots of great developments going on here!

I'm just finishing up the new Devcoin web site - it will be ready to launch today! I am really excited as I think it looks amazing and I've gotten great feedback so far. Can't wait to show everyone!
Brilliant. Will give any feedback when had a better look through. Thanks for doing this.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 06:02:00 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2013, 06:43:25 PM by Hunterbunter

Giftculturewriting, I sent you 23 devcoins so you can see if Shakezula's version works completely, please post or message me when you receive them. You get one share for your post:

Got them. I also sent some to the address listed on the dvc countdown, and that seemed to go through fine. So did the faucet, for that matter, so I'm not sure how it correlates to the round ending, unless 'round' is being used differently in that context.

Heya, was it 4 devcoins that you sent? If so, I got those - looks like it's working ok.

Hi all, I am happy to report that I have finished the devcoin.org site redesign:
http://devcoin.org/
Thanks to Weisoq for his wiki page and whoever created the Devcoin press release that went out a couple of weeks ago - really saved me a lot of time compiling the content.

2) Will you be updating the round payout info page manually or syncing sonehow ? Is there a cms to easily edit page content?

Good work!! I like the idea if a website being informative and usable to keep ppl coming back like getting round payout info.

It's not too difficult to make it automatically update if Hypersire is using scripts etc (not sure), but one option is that he could put a link to one of the dvc countdowns which also has the active round details - http://dvccountdown.blisteringdevelopers.com so people can look up the current blocks etc. I put a deadline on there to make it more non-technical friendly, so visitors can see how long to go before the next round ends. I'm hoping that the timer will encourage the idea it's already an ongoing moving process (in seconds rather than blocks) with people checking it out wondering if it's legit.

I agree the site looks good. It's pleasant to look at and the information is bite-sized and not overly technical.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 06:08:05 PM

Nice update of the site. On the specifications tab, there is mentioning of a total cap of 21 billion coins. As far as I am aware, this cap is only present as a max amount of coins to be sent, not as a cap on total coins. For an overview of what I found on specs, see: http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=the_value_of_devcoin

matt608

Activity: 882

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 06:09:40 PM

I'm thinking the same thing.  A better way to spread the shares out would be to have more active writers join Devtome so compete for the shares, rather than limiting the payout. 
The payout is not limited, only the payout per round.

Ok, it's fine, I don't object to this.  Interested to see the effect it has.
eeh

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 06:20:03 PM

As it's my message quoted I think it's fair that I reply. That it's you eeh isn't relevant, I wasn't making a point any particular writer's writings and I'd assume it's not my preference alone.

No worries. It's all about the dialogue man [used with my best 60's voice]

This implies very little difference for quality writing.

OK.

Also as far as I'm aware, word counts in excess of 50k will still be rolled over to the next round as they are now. There is no net loss, only a longer tie-in and greater time distribution of payouts.

OK. I'm in favor of rolling it over. Effectively and from what is being done now by UTB, this amounts to no real change, just a longer earnings period for those that contribute more content. I'm good with that.

In reply I would like to ask you or anyone else to explain why there shouldn't be a maximum, or why 120 is better or fairer than 75? And then how administering that would work in practice in a way that is less 'pointless' than the change?

I don't think I said it was pointless, just asking what the purpose was. I'm fairly resistant to change unless there's a well-thought out reason. My gut response was that just because it had been mentioned and no one threw a tantrum, well, that doesn't really justify changing the scheme.

But from what I see in your last post, by reducing the round payouts, it more equally distributes the actual quantity of coin for even low word-count contributors while extending earnings to those who have no other life (like me) than writing.

I think the post to which I'm responding did a fairly decent job of addressing my (mis)understandings of the current earnings rounds.

I see nothing objectionable or having anything inequitable. Thanks for the feedback!
giftculturewriting

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 06:42:39 PM

Giftculturewriting, I sent you 23 devcoins so you can see if Shakezula's version works completely, please post or message me when you receive them. You get one share for your post:

Got them. I also sent some to the address listed on the dvc countdown, and that seemed to go through fine. So did the faucet, for that matter, so I'm not sure how it correlates to the round ending, unless 'round' is being used differently in that context.

Heya, was it 4 devcoins that you sent? If so, I got those - looks like it's working ok.

Heh, yeah. It was the first faucet test I did minus the 1 dvc fee.
giftculturewriting

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 06:49:08 PM

Also as far as I'm aware, word counts in excess of 50k will still be rolled over to the next round as they are now. There is no net loss, only a longer tie-in and greater time distribution of payouts.

OK. I'm in favor of rolling it over. Effectively and from what is being done now by UTB, this amounts to no real change, just a longer earnings period for those that contribute more content. I'm good with that.

[...]

But from what I see in your last post, by reducing the round payouts, it more equally distributes the actual quantity of coin for even low word-count contributors while extending earnings to those who have no other life (like me) than writing.

I think the post to which I'm responding did a fairly decent job of addressing my (mis)understandings of the current earnings rounds.

I see nothing objectionable or having anything inequitable. Thanks for the feedback!

Explained like this lowering the max makes sense to me. How does lowering the max from 80 to 75 instead of 80 to 30 accomplish this better?
weisoq

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 06:56:12 PM
Last edit: December 21, 2013, 12:47:33 AM by weisoq

...I don't think I said it was pointless, just asking what the purpose was. I'm fairly resistant to change unless there's a well-thought out reason. My gut response was that just because it had been mentioned and no one threw a tantrum, well, that doesn't really justify changing the scheme.

Thanks for your feedback. The 'pointless' was perhaps my misread inference.

Now I will get personal, to make a point. I'm going to pick on you and matt608 only because you're engaged in this discussion on this page...
The writings you guys are producing are of the standards and interest that will really build devtome. At the same time we need to grow interest in getting more active writers to join, as Matt said. But quantity is not the same as quality. So that demands a way to keep quality on board and writing without too much skew alienating newcomers or general perception of devtome. I think this and UTB's work on ratings and multipliers better addresses the future while keeping all targets on-side. It continues to reward ongoing quality, balances out internal devtome distribution, and aligns more with other devcoin projects. It shouldn't alienate anyone b/c any shit writing should be rewarded less and good writing more, but over a longer period which in turn hopefully keeps the best writers involved and active for longer.
weisoq

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 07:24:52 PM

Explained like this lowering the max makes sense to me. How does lowering the max from 80 to 75 instead of 80 to 30 accomplish this better?
Good question. I'd say it's to keep things more or less in line with current for good writing. I readily admit I'm not a writer so there has to be experimentation involved with discerning the best equilibrium, but I've made clear previoulsy that I think that natural equilibrium (where loss of good writing > addition of same) is lower. I don't know if that number is 30 and I'd guess the only way to know is through change and observation.

On your earlier ratings questions, there's a page here with more info: http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_rater It's a recentish addition so still being rolled out and developed. It's also completely open, so as an example (only fair to list one of mine): http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=rating_weisoq_30 Worth highlighting that a rating is for the author, not just the article - so constituents in my case are adjusted to meet general view as well as particulars, and more information over time should smooth out differences.

And as one of the admins for devtome I'd appreciate any constructive input on looks/language/appeal.
giftculturewriting

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 08:27:44 PM

Good question. I'd say it's to keep things more or less in line with current for good writing. I readily admit I'm not a writer so there has to be experimentation involved with discerning the best equilibrium, but I've made clear previoulsy that I think that natural equilibrium (where loss of good writing > addition of same) is lower. I don't know if that number is 30 and I'd guess the only way to know is through change and observation.

On your earlier ratings questions, there's a page here with more info: http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_rater It's a recentish addition so still being rolled out and developed. It's also completely open, so as an example (only fair to list one of mine): http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=rating_weisoq_30 Worth highlighting that a rating is for the author, not just the article - so constituents in my case are adjusted to meet general view as well as particulars, and more information over time should smooth out differences.

And as one of the admins for devtome I'd appreciate any constructive input on looks/language/appeal.

Thanks for your explanations. I'd seen individual rater's pages before, but not the devtome ratings page.

Here's a draft for Devtome Earnings for the Layperson (http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_earnings_for_the_layperson). Can someone who understands the code better take a look and see if I'm representing it accurately? I tried to collate what I'd read in this thread and pull resources together into one place so new people could see them. Also, feel free to make any suggestions for what other information might be useful to put there.
Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:29:08 PM

Shakezula's devcoin installation is confirmed to work completely, so Shakezula is awarded 12 shares for the devcoin Windows installer bounty, plus one share ongoing for maintaining it. The windows installer bounty is finished.

Unthinkingbit

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:38:39 PM

Hi all, I am happy to report that I have finished the devcoin.org site redesign:

http://devcoin.org/

Thanks to Weisoq for his wiki page and whoever created the Devcoin press release that went out a couple of weeks ago - really saved me a lot of time compiling the content.

Let me know what you guys think - I will be sticking around as the new Devcoin web guy so I can certainly make edits and additions going forward.

Awesome! You get 36 shares for the website. Technically we have to wait two days (Dec 22) for objections because a web site is subjective, but people love the site so the only way the award could be rescinded is if there was a completely unexpected problem.

Hypersire, you are now a web admin, and get paid accordingly as long as you maintain the web site:
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin#administration

In a few weeks, after you've incorporated what people generally want, please post that the web site is complete, and you'll get the final 36 share payment.

Hunterbunter

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:47:32 PM

On the ratings system, a question bubbled out of my subconscious, regarding:

Bribery
Any rater caught taking bribes will be fired. If raters were paid little, then this threat would have little effect, by paying the raters a lot, there is a greater downside to taking a bribe. Also when people are paid more, they're willing to do better work.

Would it also discourage people offering bribes if, when a rater is discovered for taking bribes, all of their previously rated materials are nullified? Or is that too harsh?
Unthinkingbit

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:52:02 PM

Is this bounty still open?

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_bounty_now#devcoin_usd_chart

The dvc/usd chart.

I've coded up a webserver that gets the averages from a few different places, but I couldn't find a long term history of DVC.

The chart is here: http://dvcusdchart.blisteringdevelopers.com

It's filling up with data as I just reset it after testing, and it'll log and show data indefinitely. If people want more options etc, say what you like and I'll code it in. I'll make a few more tweaks to make it clearer what's what, but it's up and running now in any case.

EDIT: Obviously it looks a bit silly now but that's because data's just started collecting...it should fill out soon enough Smiley

Thanks for the chart! You get the 18 share award, the remaining award is 9 shares. The round 31 bounties are at:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/bounty_31.csv

giftculturewriting

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 10:03:15 PM

Is this bounty still open?

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_bounty_now#devcoin_usd_chart

The dvc/usd chart.

I've coded up a webserver that gets the averages from a few different places, but I couldn't find a long term history of DVC.

The chart is here: http://dvcusdchart.blisteringdevelopers.com

It's filling up with data as I just reset it after testing, and it'll log and show data indefinitely. If people want more options etc, say what you like and I'll code it in. I'll make a few more tweaks to make it clearer what's what, but it's up and running now in any case.

EDIT: Obviously it looks a bit silly now but that's because data's just started collecting...it should fill out soon enough Smiley

I think a legend would be helpful (line vs bars, solid bars vs empty bars. I'm assuming that has to do with the fact that you're collating several averages). Is the 15 minute limit just because the chart just got put up? I think it'd be nice to see a longer term chart (you can get a long term chart from dvc to btc at vircurex, but not straight to USD).

Thanks for putting it together!
Hunterbunter

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 10:36:18 PM

I think a legend would be helpful (line vs bars, solid bars vs empty bars. I'm assuming that has to do with the fact that you're collating several averages). Is the 15 minute limit just because the chart just got put up? I think it'd be nice to see a longer term chart (you can get a long term chart from dvc to btc at vircurex, but not straight to USD).

Thanks for putting it together!

Thanks for the feedback. I agree it needs a legend, and I'll get that in.

I'm not 100% sure how well you know candlestick charts, so I'm assuming you know less based on your question but forgive me if you already know this stuff. With the solid bars vs empty bars, those are normal for a candlestick chart, although google charts has it backwards to other charting software for some reason, something I'll also look into - usually a lighter or green bar represents a rise in price from opening time to close in the charting period (15min is the total time period per candle in this chart's case), and darker or red for down. The bars are supposed to represent the difference in open and closing price in the chart period (the solid bar bit) and the lines coming out of the bars are the high and low during the 15 minute period, where the price reached but didn't remain.

The 15 minute limit was what was asked for in the spec - that's not 15 minutes of data, but 15 minutes of data per candlestick. Other periods are useful definitely useful too, and once I've got my data sorted out I'll add some different periods. I don't think there's much value in putting shorter times for dvc/usd atm, but the daily and weekly charts (where each candlestick represents price movement for a whole day or week respectively), would be very useful over time to see the long term value of a devcoin.

Regarding collating averages, that just means I'm using an average market spot price, as different exchanges have different prices - eg mtgox is currenty $680/coin whereas 3 others are $630/coin. I use 4 markets for the btc/usd price, and 2 for the dvc/btc price.

The problem with history was getting it through an API. While vircurex has the data themselves, they may not necessarily release it for others to see. Pretty much everyone offers a public ticker so we can get the last trade price easily, just not all the trades from the beginning of time etc. I might try trawling one of the chart pages, but that's generally easier said than done.
giftculturewriting

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 10:39:35 PM

I'm not 100% sure how well you know candlestick charts, so I'm assuming you know less based on your question but forgive me if you already know this stuff. With the solid bars vs empty bars, those are normal for a candlestick chart, although google charts has it backwards to other charting software for some reason, something I'll also look into - usually a lighter or green bar represents a rise in price from opening time to close in the charting period (15min is the total time period per bar in this chart's case), and darker or red for down. The bars are supposed to represent the difference in open and closing price in the chart period (the solid bar bit) and the lines coming out of the bars are the high and low during the 15 minute period, where the price reached but didn't remain.

Thanks for the explanation on the candlestick chart. I wasn't familiar with it (and as you said, a legend will help). The day and week charts would be great extras.
weisoq

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 10:49:16 PM

...Here's a draft for Devtome Earnings for the Layperson (http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_earnings_for_the_layperson). Can someone who understands the code better take a look and see if I'm representing it accurately? I tried to collate what I'd read in this thread and pull resources together into one place so new people could see them. Also, feel free to make any suggestions for what other information might be useful to put there.
I think articles including that would be useful for a FAQ section on the new http://devcoin.org/ (maybe just links to relevant devtome pages). Some others that come to mind: Why Open Source? (the point you made earlier); Help with my Wallet; Why is Devcoin generation constant?; What about music, art and film?; Can I write in languages other than english?; Are there any fees?; How can I help? beacuse they're asked a lot.

I'm not very technical compared to many here, but posts from you and wiser in particular have reminded me that many are even less so and of what I've already learned - and that a general outlook on what it's all about will differ a lot. That devcoin cann reach out to such a wider community is largely its point and so I think it would good for perspectives such as these to be incorporated as easy to access info.
giftculturewriting

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 10:56:23 PM

...Here's a draft for Devtome Earnings for the Layperson (http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_earnings_for_the_layperson). Can someone who understands the code better take a look and see if I'm representing it accurately? I tried to collate what I'd read in this thread and pull resources together into one place so new people could see them. Also, feel free to make any suggestions for what other information might be useful to put there.
I think articles including that would be useful for a FAQ section on the new http://devcoin.org/ (maybe just links to relevant devtome pages). Some others that come to mind: Why Open Source? (the point you made earlier); Help with my Wallet; Why is Devcoin generation constant?; What about music, art and film?; Can I write in languages other than english?; Are there any fees?; How can I help? beacuse they're asked a lot.

I'm not very technical compared to many here, but posts from you and wiser in particular have reminded me that many are even less so and of what I've already learned - and that a general outlook on what it's all about will differ a lot. That devcoin cann reach out to such a wider community is largely its point and so I think it would good for perspectives such as these to be incorporated as easy to access info.

Yeah, I think an FAQ is a great idea. The short answers can be listed traditional FAQ style, and links can go to more detailed articles.
weisoq

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 11:00:00 PM

I propose the following work, done by myself, to be funded by devcoin. Please let me know if this will fit.

I will write a definitive guide for Embedded Analysis, to be published on the CCC 30C3 wiki. This would be a significant update to the same entry i wrote in 2010, which today is the first result when searching for "embedded analysis". I would refactor and release a new tool based on an Arduino which can be used to dump NAND memory (a capability not readily available to most), unlicensed and open source. I will QA and release a voltage shifting board for IO lines, unlicensed and open source with Fritzing layout files. I would release a book (25 page pamphlet will illustrations and photography) developed with a photographer and initially previewed at the Create Art & Technology Exhibition in 2011 but never formally released, CC licensed. I would donate %10 of all Devcoin from the total sum of the entirety of all this work, from now and into the future, to the photographer. All of this will be documented in the 30c3 wiki and I would be happy to put "efforts supported by Devcoin and the Devcoin community" in the first section. This work is already in progress and WILL be completed by Dec 30th, preferably Dec 26 (before the 30C3 conference starts). If not clear, all code, text and designs were or will be authored by myself, except that of the photographer as mentioned.

BIO: I am a well known hardware and software reverse engineer. I've lectured at Recon and the CCC. I make things that break things and publish them unlicensed.

Full list of work and new additions to the documentation from the 27c3:

• Initial release of Arduino based NAND Memory dumper
  • Memory breakout board list and techniques
  • Release of voltage regulator board for low voltage targets
  • Information on workflow and aesthetic analysis
  • Links to new tools
  • What to do after JTAG is found
  • Finding JTAG by hand
  • Crude and novel firmware analysis techniques
  • Release of book with illustrations on hardware hacking, in PDF form (CC Share Alike license)
I think you may be best messaging unthinkingbit or metazilla ref: Earn Devcoins by developing, but as your post might have been lost among my earlier replies I'm bumping it anyway.
Pages: « 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: