Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:33:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 172 173 174 175 176 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin  (Read 412869 times)
owsleybeatsbigcartel

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 02:54:33 PM

One of the writers on devtome, Wiser, posted this article outlining their experience and ideas for the project. I think it's definitely worth a read and some thinking through:  http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=on_writing_and_market_forces

Nice article, indeed.

I gotta clarify one point, though: programmers simply do not get same kind of a deal as writers do. 90% of share pool is supposed to be allocated for writers on devtome.

You can't just get devcoins for your open source code, there are only bounties for concrete things (e.g. devcoin software) and for software projects which meet certain eligibility criteria.

For example, I contribute to some Bitcoin-related open source project. It is hard to judge significance, but let's say bitcointalk thread about it was read 16084 times, and my posts on reddit informing about progress got ~100 upvotes. Here's my github account which shows contributions: https://github.com/killerstorm/

But I've been told that software I write is not eligible so I cannot get any devcoins for my code.

I really do not care much about it because I got some money from sponsors, I just mentioned it to note that programmers are not complaining about shrinking share... They never had a share to begin with. (Well, some people receive shares for Bitcoin software but they already received lots of devcoins so I doubt they will complain.)

The only thing which bothers me is long-term viability of Devcoin, I really wish this project best of luck, and everything I wrote are just observations from an external observer.

Here's a list of programmers who receive devcoin shares:

https://github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/blob/master/bitcoinshare.html

https://github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/blob/master/devcoinshare.html
]

~no deals
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 02:55:08 PM

Notabot, I can't find your post, it disappeared.

At any rate, good catch.  On one hand maybe its the same guy as 8 minutes apart is a bit fishy, especially for 3 names with similar opinions.

I honestly think it's trolls stalking me. They heard I'm writing for devcoins, all three made accounts real quick, then got as far up my ass as fast as they could before I figured out who they were.

stop spreading lies >> back it up with FACTS!!!!

How bout the FACT that you are a troll
And the FACT that you all got accounts the same day I replied to a thread about bitcoins on trollitup (rollitup.org). In which I stated I was getting paid for writing...
And the fact that you said you were smoking a fatty for my brother, and most of my trolls come from a stoner site.
And the fact that you said you live around Goldyn

You are probably a troll that is friends with a rally person, or a troll that is friends with a Pueblo person. OR you are just one of those people, and I am wrong in assuming you have any friends.

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
owsleybeatsbigcartel

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 02:56:42 PM

At any rate, good catch.  On one hand maybe its the same guy as 8 minutes apart is a bit fishy, especially for 3 names with similar opinions.

I honestly think it's trolls stalking me. They heard I'm writing for devcoins, all three made accounts real quick, then got as far up my ass as fast as they could before I figured out who they were.

And the FACT that you all got accounts the same day I replied to a thread about bitcoins on trollitup (rollitup.org). In which I stated I was getting paid for writing...
And the fact that you said you were smoking a fatty for my brother, and most of my trolls come from a stoner site.

You are probably a troll that is friends with a rally person, or a troll that is friends with a Pueblo person. OR you are just one of those people, and I am wrong in assuming you have any friends.

Prove you got paid! ~ no one believes you ~personal attacks will not be tolerated
owsleybeatsbigcartel

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 02:59:16 PM

so now posting PMs is cool? ~ you are going to JAIL!!!!
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 02:59:29 PM

Prove you got paid! ~ no one believes you ~personal attacks will not be tolerated

All I hear is "I'm a troll and I don't have a legitimate response to that"

owsleybeatsbigcartel

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 03:00:18 PM

you are a troll?
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 03:03:59 PM

you are a troll?

Wow, you are completely out of material. Can you leave now?

owsleybeatsbigcartel

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 03:11:17 PM

you are a troll?

Wow, you are completely out of material. Can you leave now?

DEVCOIN being watched by authorities >> spybot exploit
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 03:28:50 PM
Last edit: June 12, 2013, 04:05:24 PM by weisoq

The same dynamic can work in reverse where Bitcoin wealthy wont ever want to go back to fiat and will do everything in their power to grow Bitcoin and bait people into it ...

...Let them try. But when the majority of businesses accept Bitcoin it isn't going to work. The reason it wont work is because people today are becoming millionaires from Bitcoin and eventually there will be billionaires. These billionaires will control the cryptocurrency industry, not random newcomers with new coins. I'm saying the early adopters in Bitcoin will be established, organized, and will be the big players in the cryptocurrency industry and the little coins will have a very difficult time changing the landscape. The old guard will have benefited from the deflationary aspects of Bitcoin and you're not going to be able to change the minds of people who became billionaires because they bought thousands or mined tens of thousands of Bitcoins in 2010 or 2011. These people will own hundreds of ASICminer shares and will own stocks in many other companies as well and as the shareholders these individuals may decide they like the deflationary aspect.

What will make matters even worse for you is that people right now are following the same path, buying Bitcoins, learning to appreciate the deflationary aspects of it, and in 2016 these people could be millionaires as well. What will happen is journalists are going to start interviewing more and more Bitcoin millionaires and billionaires and do you think these people who grew up poor or working class and through Bitcoin became rich are going to decide suddenly that Bitcoin has a flawed design? It never happens. And people who get in at 2016 will see what happened for people who got in at 2013, or 2011, or 2010, and they'll choose Bitcoin merely because by choosing Bitcoin they'll be better off.
I don't think anything can stop that trend from happening except making Bitcoin illegal. if Bitcoin is legal and people start becoming millionaires and billionaires overnight, then there can be other more stable coins, coins with better technology, stuff like Ripple with establishment support, but ultimately a billion dollars is cooler than a million. A thousand is cooler than a hundred. A hundred is cooler than ten. Ten is cooler than one.
You haven't addressed any practical element of how a transactional structure would work or grow, and I was going to write a response explaining what I mean by the "shitty side" of bitcoin credit, why deflation isn't good for business and diversifying interests, the nature of likely economic contraction and ruinous social progress (beyond that already written into demographic trends) to which a deflationary currency could pertain...

...until I kept reading and realised you've just done that yourself in genuinely, with zero irony, outlining a bubbly pyramid scheme. No mention of technological progress, a basis in state undermining, bypassing a parasitical financial sector...; just a pyramid with a new bunch of dumb cronies praying for salvation via continued mass ignorance? If you're going to take that view you at least have to concede the necessity of bringing in new blood ("bait people into it" as you put it). So really your whole argument (not necessarily the truth or other people's perspective) for Bitcoin's future and the failure of Devcoin and other alternatives rests on mass stupidity; that everybody else is incapable of coming to the same conclusion that you can reach i.e. that it's all bullshit except marketing and making a few people wealthy, ironically wealthy in fiat or other non-btc assets obviously?

Hilarious. If that's the basis of your efforts and investments I hope for your sake you're one of the very early bitcoin adopters with a significant holding, preferably already sold, because if that's all it is you're going to get mightily stuffed by a rolling reality as the music slows and stops. There's always somebody with bigger pockets but not always another fool.
owsleybeatsbigcartel

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 03:31:46 PM

The same dynamic can work in reverse where Bitcoin wealthy wont ever want to go back to fiat and will do everything in their power to grow Bitcoin and bait people into it ...

...Let them try. But when the majority of businesses accept Bitcoin it isn't going to work. The reason it wont work is because people today are becoming millionaires from Bitcoin and eventually there will be billionaires. These billionaires will control the cryptocurrency industry, not random newcomers with new coins. I'm saying the early adopters in Bitcoin will be established, organized, and will be the big players in the cryptocurrency industry and the little coins will have a very difficult time changing the landscape. The old guard will have benefited from the deflationary aspects of Bitcoin and you're not going to be able to change the minds of people who became billionaires because they bought thousands or mined tens of thousands of Bitcoins in 2010 or 2011. These people will own hundreds of ASICminer shares and will own stocks in many other companies as well and as the shareholders these individuals may decide they like the deflationary aspect.

What will make matters even worse for you is that people right now are following the same path, buying Bitcoins, learning to appreciate the deflationary aspects of it, and in 2016 these people could be millionaires as well. What will happen is journalists are going to start interviewing more and more Bitcoin millionaires and billionaires and do you think these people who grew up poor or working class and through Bitcoin became rich are going to decide suddenly that Bitcoin has a flawed design? It never happens. And people who get in at 2016 will see what happened for people who got in at 2013, or 2011, or 2010, and they'll choose Bitcoin merely because by choosing Bitcoin they'll be better off.
I don't think anything can stop that trend from happening except making Bitcoin illegal. if Bitcoin is legal and people start becoming millionaires and billionaires overnight, then there can be other more stable coins, coins with better technology, stuff like Ripple with establishment support, but ultimately a billion dollars is cooler than a million. A thousand is cooler than a hundred. A hundred is cooler than ten. Ten is cooler than one.
You haven't addressed any practical element of how a transactional structure would work grow, and I was going to write a response explaining what I mean by the "shitty side" of bitcoin credit, why deflation isn't good for business and diversifying interests, the nature of likely economic contraction and ruinous social progress (beyond that already written into demographic trends) to which a deflationary currency could pertain...

...until I kept reading and realised you've just done that yourself in genuinely, with zero irony, outlining a bubbly pyramid scheme. No mention of technological progress, a basis in state undermining, bypassing parasitic a parasitical financial sector...; just a pyramid with a new bunch of dumb cronies praying for salvation via continued mass ignorance. If you're going to take that view you at least have to concede to the necessity to bring in new blood ("bait people in it" as you put it). So really your whole argument for Bitcoin's future rests on mass stupidity, that everybody else is incapable of coming to the same conclusion that you can reach i.e. that it's all bullshit except marketing and making a few people wealthy, ironically wealthy in fiat or other non-btc assets obviously?

Hilarious. If that's the basis of your efforts and investments I hope for your sake you're one of the very early bitcoin adopters with a significant holding, preferably already sold, because if that's all it is you're going to get mightily stuffed by a rolling reality as the music slows and stops. There's always somebody with bigger pockets but not always another fool.

Drug trade and organized crime >> read above
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1530

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 03:35:39 PM

On the other hand, a lot of new people have joined lately, me included so maybe that's a coincidence.

Thing about luckybit, he's not flaming like this new owsley guy.  His arguments are well thought out and they make a lot of sense.  What he says may end up coming true - it's definitely at least a possibility.

I too think there has to be some change as the current model cannot thrive in its current form - its simply not sustainable as too many people are signing up too fast while the value is going the wrong way, so one would expect talent to really go south.

It's only a theory but it makes sense as this is what one would expect in real life.  I don't know the solution but I do agree we should have a healthy debate about it and perhaps we'll find a solution.  

Because for sure many more coins are coming and devcoin only has a limited window of opportunity to grow and get its name out before a landslide of alt coins come over us all and bury devcoin in an avalanche of obscurity and mediocrity.

Regards,

Vlad

Someone is trolling. Look at my profile. I did not register in June.

He corrected himself.  And I was actually standing up for you as not possibly being one of them as your arguments are too well thought out.  Thanks for posting.

Also, you said cookies are better than IP addresses.  Well, what if cookies are disabled or if cookies are erased or cleared?  TIA

iXcoin - Welcome to the F U T U R E!
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 03:37:06 PM

Marticps is going to produce the animation for the devcoin video for the bitcoin education site. I suggest the bounty be distributed accordingly based on time necessary to produce it.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 03:40:10 PM

If you want Devcoins, I suggest selling things on Ebay and Craigslist, and linking people to it on Bitcoin talk and giving a DVC price.

It's the best way to earn Devcoins, and support the DVC economy ALL AT ONCE. While the person who uses the coins to buy something just found a new purpose for devcoin, and might try it themselves.

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1530

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 03:42:00 PM

If you want Devcoins, I suggest selling things on Ebay and Craigslist, and linking people to it on Bitcoin talk and giving a DVC price.

It's the best way to earn Devcoins, and support the DVC economy ALL AT ONCE. While the person who uses the coins to buy something just found a new purpose for devcoin, and might try it themselves.

That's actually a pretty good idea.

iXcoin - Welcome to the F U T U R E!
owsleybeatsbigcartel

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 03:44:29 PM

On the other hand, a lot of new people have joined lately, me included so maybe that's a coincidence.

Thing about luckybit, he's not flaming like this new owsley guy.  His arguments are well thought out and they make a lot of sense.  What he says may end up coming true - it's definitely at least a possibility.

I too think there has to be some change as the current model cannot thrive in its current form - its simply not sustainable as too many people are signing up too fast while the value is going the wrong way, so one would expect talent to really go south.

It's only a theory but it makes sense as this is what one would expect in real life.  I don't know the solution but I do agree we should have a healthy debate about it and perhaps we'll find a solution.  

Because for sure many more coins are coming and devcoin only has a limited window of opportunity to grow and get its name out before a landslide of alt coins come over us all and bury devcoin in an avalanche of obscurity and mediocrity.

Regards,

Vlad

Someone is trolling. Look at my profile. I did not register in June.

He corrected himself.  And I was actually standing up for you as not possibly being one of them as your arguments are too well thought out.  Thanks for posting.

Also, you said cookies are better than IP addresses.  Well, what if cookies are disabled or if cookies are erased or cleared?  TIA

ie: how do you track scammers?
owsleybeatsbigcartel

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 03:46:29 PM

Ebay and Craigslist = scammers meeting place
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 04:00:08 PM

You can also use your Devtome earnings to buy things you need, but sometimes buy 2 and sell the extra the same way.

owsleybeatsbigcartel

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 04:02:53 PM

You can also use your Devtome earnings to buy things you need, but sometimes buy 2 and sell the extra the same way.

are you still yapping about your dirty ecstacy pills ?
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 04:07:28 PM

are you still yapping about your dirty ecstacy pills ?

Still trolling?

killerstorm
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 04:13:11 PM

This is exactly one of the solutions I mentioned in a previous post on here. I asked why can't Devcoins be destroyed via a Freicoin style demurrage to cap the rate of inflation and people flamed me for it. They hated the idea of destroying Devcoins for any reason but I do think this solution has a chance to work and should be implemented robustly.

It makes no sense to have demurrage in devcoin because inflation already has similar effect.

What makes sense is destruction of fees which normally go to miners... In this case higher trade volume will make coins more valuable. You can't get same kind of behavior via demurrage.

Chromia: a better dapp platform
Pages: « 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 172 173 174 175 176 »
  Print  

Jump to: