Bitcoin Forum
December 10, 2016, 12:54:06 PM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin  (Read 369376 times)
jasinlee

Activity: 742

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 01:30:11 PM

Unthinkingbit can you check on the contest submitted articles for me on devtome.com tomorrow for me please.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
metazilla

Activity: 75

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:14:32 PM

Yeah, he could have divided his dump not to kill the price

Over time won't this become a huge problem? People earn devcoins, want to use them to buy stuff, sell them for BTC, then either buy stuff with the BTC or sell the BTC for fiat. It seems to me that that there is an imbalance here, because no matter how many people think Devcoin is awesome and want to support the project, there are going to be people in it for the earnings and selling off their coins.

So what is the solution to this? How can we get people to buy DVC with BTC? The only thing I've seen so far that encourages a net influx of BTC -> DVC is twobit's ASICMINER passthrough, since it buys DVC with the BTC earned. That said, it suffers the same problem, in that people will want to spend their profits in some way.

It seems to me that the real solution would be a way for people to spend their DVC directly, without affecting the exchange rate.

Thoughts?

Balthozar

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:25:29 PM

Yeah, he could have divided his dump not to kill the price

Over time won't this become a huge problem? People earn devcoins, want to use them to buy stuff, sell them for BTC, then either buy stuff with the BTC or sell the BTC for fiat. It seems to me that that there is an imbalance here, because no matter how many people think Devcoin is awesome and want to support the project, there are going to be people in it for the earnings and selling off their coins.

So what is the solution to this? How can we get people to buy DVC with BTC? The only thing I've seen so far that encourages a net influx of BTC -> DVC is twobit's ASICMINER passthrough, since it buys DVC with the BTC earned. That said, it suffers the same problem, in that people will want to spend their profits in some way.

It seems to me that the real solution would be a way for people to spend their DVC directly, without affecting the exchange rate.

Thoughts?

FinShaggy and I have been saying this for a long time. We need DVC markets and whatnot, or else DVC is nothing more than a token.

http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:balthozar | Earn Devcoins by Writing | Virtual Currency Exchange
DVC:1kFhM8vtEzbZ43Z5wcadPvNrb4xFXbgze | YAC:YHjjwLgjVfsnANTeb9eKeU3rtyKsFNvVCq | BQC:bUu1W2JEQzVrbFvv3EU4gW6KY2J939JDe1 | WDC:WTqa866TFP6d9HWGpYm2AztDNNMFmQ365s | FRC:1N2x7s8F78WiSFCFQPszLqhWsP6Kk1RXVp | NVC:4KcR3Dcmxz1ZDLK3VA9oHxpG4C3oYMCPeV | FTC:6ugwSRQNXQKNb5EVwQVn4CLoZNpiitiQzt | PPC:PSnEL3tmJejkdAAwiBLxSqbCide1voSKXY
Barnacle_Ed

Activity: 271

Got crappy code? I can help you fix it!

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 10:18:52 PM

Thoughts?

Wholeheartedly agree. Other than computer parts and setting up bounties in this thread, I frankly see little in the way of Devcoin services...

Perhaps we should start a gambling site and/or a sale hub like Atlantis or BitMit. Those seem to be (relatively) simple ways to get some real DVC value in a short time.

ondratra

Activity: 336

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 10:58:02 PM

DVC prices has been slumping over the past few days...makes me a sad barnacle Embarrassed

On vircurex, the volume for the BTC/DVC trade is a colossal 15,694,970.8426  So I'd say someone sold almost their entire holding!

nono - lot of folks are speculating on devcoin recent days Wink thats why there is so high volume
ondratra

Activity: 336

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 10:59:07 PM

Thoughts?

Wholeheartedly agree. Other than computer parts and setting up bounties in this thread, I frankly see little in the way of Devcoin services...

Perhaps we should start a gambling site and/or a sale hub like Atlantis or BitMit. Those seem to be (relatively) simple ways to get some real DVC value in a short time.

Nice idea, but gamble isn't really something that would give coin a value Wink We need some serious service accepting DVC
Barnacle_Ed

Activity: 271

Got crappy code? I can help you fix it!

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:03:09 PM

Thoughts?

Nice idea, but gamble isn't really something that would give coin a value Wink We need some serious service accepting DVC

It would be a start, at the very least. There's nothing like gambling, alcohol, and sex to inherently boost the value of anything...otherwise Las Vegas would just be a random patch of desert Smiley

I'm tempted to throw a few things for DVC together. My schedule is crazy busy for the next 2 weeks though since I'm gearing up for a hackathon on the 15th.

jasinlee

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:12:41 PM

Thoughts?

It would be a start, at the very least. There's nothing like gambling, alcohol, and sex to inherently boost the value of anything...otherwise Las Vegas would just be a random patch of desert Smiley

I'm tempted to throw a few things for DVC together. My schedule is crazy busy for the next 2 weeks though since I'm gearing up for a hackathon on the 15th.

When we are done with the ad network it will be be one good service. But I would suggest someone create an anonymous hosting/vps site that accepts dvc, possibly registrar also.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
weisoq

Activity: 686

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:17:12 PM

the first thing devcoin needs is a liquid dvc/FIAT exchange market

Earn Devcoins by Writing | Devcoin Video
1EQp2cs2qtsnoRFuPvaqxxZLnmFcA6JS3G
jasinlee

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:30:11 PM

the first thing devcoin needs is a liquid dvc/FIAT exchange market

Well....no comment yet.

alyssa85

Activity: 672

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 12:36:04 AM

Thoughts?

What we really need is an Ebay style Devcoin platform, where members of the community could list goods and services and buy and sell stuff from one another, all in Devcoin. So, if someone wants to buy from amazon.com, instead of cashing out to fiat to buy, they can just buy amazon voucher codes for Devcoin from someone else on the platform etc. I'm sure it could be expanded to include loads of things.

EmilianoZ

Activity: 27

Tierra y Libertad

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 01:08:05 AM

Thoughts?

When we are done with the ad network it will be be one good service. But I would suggest someone create an anonymous hosting/vps site that accepts dvc, possibly registrar also.

I still think we need to control the amount of devcoins in the market, I know the idea of having less coins is not a nice one ever, but think about it from this side, if we are able somehow to rise the value of devcoins what you win in value will make it up for the nominal loose, in other words, devcoin value now is 0.000001 of a bitcoin what if you spend half your coins to make it 0.0001.
With this value the services you are talking about here will start to appear out of nothing, like going downhill, while trying the other way around will be a lot harder.

BTC 1qY8nk5hATYgthYdzB4QtSqhrrTeGQg6X | DVC 1KEnsZriCXfNEmtZNJFZNywdLUptwjGpzg
LTC LgKrQHJwvMWmBXNpzYoDdnK1GdkndeVWFG | PPC PTNcuoXHCARCKtVhkpURg1BmTYZtVWrt5a
Earn Devcoins by Writing (http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=earn_devcoins_by_writing) | EmilianoZ (http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:emilianoz)
EmilianoZ

Tierra y Libertad

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 01:25:45 AM

I have a plan:
We could set a percentage for demurrage (destruction) for say.... every...  year..., half year...or two years, this will have the media impact we need to have the coins promoted, and it will be sort of free.
At the same time we set a maximum quota to mine during a given time span, could be the same as for the time before the demurrage is set. The mining dificulty can be adjusted to comply with the quota.
Doing this we are not attached to a hard limit for mining new coins but we will be able to control the amount of coins available in the market. Lets remember this is a matter of offer and demand, the supply right now is soooooo big, no one worries the demand would be higher than the offer, therefore the value drops.

Earn Devcoins by Writing (http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=earn_devcoins_by_writing) | EmilianoZ (http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:emilianoz)
EmilianoZ

Tierra y Libertad

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 01:27:33 AM

I understand you are saying gambling, sex, etc... fuels demand, but right now it might not be enough

Ethicoin

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 01:31:36 AM

I understand you are saying gambling, sex, etc... fuels demand, but right now it might not be enough

DVC has more than enough projects in the works.

For example the DVC advertising network.

If someone could clone the DGC marketplace for DVC this would be absolutely awesome: http://dgcmarket.com/index.php?

DVC has such a strong community I don't see it dying (or relying on dodgy gambling sites) anytime soon.

Wink

Buy ANYTHING with your Quark! http://quarkspend.com

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” - R. Buckminster Fuller
Dexter44

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 10:16:54 AM

We could give a part of the monthly share to open source platforms, starting with wikipedia. They will give to writers and programmers a small reward, giving back to devcoin a worldwide free publicity. The writers in wikipedia-like sites will start writing even for devtome. In one year you can really have devcoin stable to 1 usd. If you think: what is the meaning to have millions of almost worthless coin? I would prefer to have thousands of high valued coins, instead.
On the contrary, if unthinkingbit wants to transform this coin in a haven for sex and gambling, the road is the one you are talking about.
But please, do not talk of ethically oriented coin, if your idea is sex, gambling, etc...
ashleysly

Activity: 213

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 10:58:41 AM

To start to fuel the DVC economy, I have the ability to sell xBox live points and membership for DevCoins.

I can even sell many things. Give me a list and then I can see from my wholesellers.

P.S. there is a forum at www.devcointalk.org where all this can be talked at...

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

Activity: 1302

iXcoin - 'The Twin'

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 11:16:28 AM

DVC prices has been slumping over the past few days...makes me a sad barnacle Embarrassed

On vircurex, the volume for the BTC/DVC trade is a colossal 15,694,970.8426  So I'd say someone sold almost their entire holding!

Actually, that's fairly normal (and I've been watching and buying DVC for roughly 1 month).  USD volume is usually maybe 1/15th that, on a good day, but for BTC/DVC its pretty normal.

Think about it like this, just 1 bitcoin is nearly 1 million devcoins (currently dropped and bidding at around 850,000 DVC - BTW it was 600,000 DVC per BTC just 10 days ago or so the last time I Bought DVC) so if you think about it like that we're talking about roughly 15 - 20 bitcoins.

Lots of people have 20 bitcoins to blow.  And money-wise that's only about $2,500 - once again very small market.

When we start seeing 5 to 10 times the normal volume that's when you know something is up.  

I might add that the biggest reason DVC price has been dropping in USD (and BTC) is because BTC value has gone up from $118 to roughly $130.  That's quite a big jump in under 1 week and the other coins haven't kept up so they're now selling for less since as people demand more for their BTC's then the USD value goes down as well.

This creates a great opportunity to buy for a ridiculous price.  I paid $.00041 just 30 days ago and now its half that.  It's a steal if you have money to speculate as this one sided Bitcoin only mania has got to swing in this direction soon. People have got to see the value in these other coins if they think bitcoin is a good deal at $130.  

I think its only a matter of time, maybe 3 months or so.

Unfortunately, meanwhile, earnings per share looks like is going to hit the all-time low of $50 from about $79 just a week or two ago.  This doesn't matter much if you believe in the future of devcoins but if you're a developer counting on the money then I'm sure it hurts.

Accumulate while it's low, I say.

Good luck!

Vlad

weisoq

Activity: 686

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 11:26:29 AM

We could give a part of the monthly share to open source platforms, starting with wikipedia. They will give to writers and programmers a small reward, giving back to devcoin a worldwide free publicity. The writers in wikipedia-like sites will start writing even for devtome. In one year you can really have devcoin stable to 1 usd. If you think: what is the meaning to have millions of almost worthless coin? I would prefer to have thousands of high valued coins, instead.
On the contrary, if unthinkingbit wants to transform this coin in a haven for sex and gambling, the road is the one you are talking about.
But please, do not talk of ethically oriented coin, if your idea is sex, gambling, etc...

Interesting idea, although I'm not sure how you'd tie-in distribution to wikipedia-like sites and devcoin promotion with devtome existing as competing and paid wikipedia-like site.
I think the 'ethical' element refers primarily to distribution, rather than how or if anyone can (or should) control how they're spent.

Earn Devcoins by Writing | Devcoin Video
1EQp2cs2qtsnoRFuPvaqxxZLnmFcA6JS3G
Dexter44

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 12:53:04 PM

Today I have received 1000 XRP.
It means I need a ripple wallet.
People should feel the need to have a Devcoin wallet, even if for a small amount.
I believe a controlled giveaway of DVC should be done, in one way or another, with the intent to capture the attention of the public.
Pages: « 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.