Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:19:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin  (Read 412862 times)
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1530

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 01:53:48 AM

[/quote]

I would check the recycle bin.
[/quote]

thanks but I didn't delete anything.  I only cut and pasted and what didn't transfer I clicked on skip so it left those files on C and I can see all the receiver files and dat files are still on C.  So it only transferred the bigger files from the devcoin client.  I guess those smaller files were opened even though I closed the client.

iXcoin - Welcome to the F U T U R E!
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vindimy

Activity: 239
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:11:17 AM

All right everyone, after some sweating I've added Devcoin to ALTcointip bot, so now you can go spread awareness among Redditors Wink

Original announcement thread for ALTcointip is here: [ANN][LTC][PPC][NMC][NVC][TRC][DVC] You can now tip ALTcoins on Reddit!

twobits

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:14:45 AM
Last edit: May 23, 2013, 02:27:16 AM by twobits

I had 1,000,000 devcoins on one of my computer's C drives and I wanted to transfer it to a different G drive so I could keep that drive unplugged (hot swappable) just for added security.  So I cut and paste my entire user file from C to G cause I wanted to make sure everything was copied over.

cut is a deleting operation

Problem was some files would not transfer saying they were in use even though I closed everything that had to do with devcoin.  some of these files were log files and some dat files.  I think what happed was the wallet.dat file didn't transfer over cause when I tried to pull up the wallet in the G drive my entire 1 million coins were gone.  I paid $400 for these coins 2 weeks ago so this is costing more than that desktop is worth.

I would guess you did not actually close devcoin, but minimized it to the tray.  So locked files did not get copied over. When you ran it off of G it could not find a wallet.dat and so made a new one.

so then I realized the mistake I made and saw that the wallet.dat file was still on the C drive because I did NOT delete anything.  So I then copied and pasted everything from G back to C hoping it would just combine everything missing with everything that got left over.

copy is not a combining operation, at this point the filesystem replaced your c wallet.dat with the one you just told it to copy from G that was newly made it seems.

But no, when I open the devcoin wallet it's a totally new wallet with different address and my previous addresses are gone and so is the 1,000,000 devcoins 

I didn't delete anything so the coins have to be on there somewhere.  Can anybody help me out.  I really don't wanna lose this many coins.  Thanks.

you did both an attempted delete with the cut, and you overwrote any existing wallet.dat left if that failed when you copied back from G.  So yeah, you did delete and overwrite things.   At this point you should have turned off the computer and not let anything else be written to the drives.   Now, you would take them out and run a program that searched for bdb patterns and key patterns, in the hope that at the raw sector level the data was left, and it reallocated things.   If not and it is a magnetic drive you have a slim chance a consumer grade data recovery place can get to it, very slim.     If is is ssd there are some other tricks to try, but also pretty expensive to have done.

I think you may have wiped out your file past your abilities to recover it if I read what you did accurately.

█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████████████  █████                        ████
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Unthinkingbit (OP)

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:59:14 AM

I think you may have wiped out your file past your abilities to recover it if I read what you did accurately.

I agree with Twobits' excellent analysis. Unless a miracle happens, it's gone.

What can be done, is get a new address from your new wallet, then a test transaction will be sent to it. After it works, I'll change the file addresses and ask Mark to generate a new receiver, and all the other file administrators to upload it. This will give you 8,235,000 devcoins for your round 23 work. In return, as soon as you get about 1.1 million of them, you'll pay all the file administrators their typical salary of 2/5 of a share, which is 143,713 each this round. You'll also pay the people who helped on this thread, 143,713 for Twobits who wrote an informative post, and half that to FinShaggy and Jasinlee who wrote small posts. You'd end up with around 7 million.

If you agree to this, please message me a new address.

jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:12:32 AM

What can be done, is get a new address from your new wallet, then a test transaction will be sent to it. After it works, I'll change the file addresses and ask Mark to generate a new receiver, and all the other file administrators to upload it. This will give you 8,235,000 devcoins for your round 23 work. In return, as soon as you get about 1.1 million of them, you'll pay all the file administrators their typical salary of 2/5 of a share, which is 143,713 each this round. You'll also pay the people who helped on this thread, 143,713 for Twobits who wrote an informative post, and half that to FinShaggy and Jasinlee who wrote small posts. You'd end up with around 7 million.

I will kick in 100,000 DVC to your "I broke my wallet." fund also.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 03:16:49 AM

I will kick in 100,000 DVC to your "I broke my wallet." fund also.

I'll kick in the 143,713 Unthinkingbit's proposal would have you sending to me in my capacity as a file administrator. (That is, don't bother sending me the 143,713.)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Icoin

Activity: 585
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 03:45:07 AM

I will kick in 100,000 DVC to your "I broke my wallet." Fund also.

No Worries,
whats the Address of the "I broke my wallet." Fund ?
Lets throw some DVC-Love at it Smiley

FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 06:19:04 AM

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
weisoq

Activity: 720

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 08:55:52 AM

Yeah I'll put some into the wallet if you give us your address. Vlad: ask questions if you're not sure before you play around with stuff. I know there was some moaning about your posts, but that was simply an issue of frequency and losing track of the thread; not a statement to keep quiet about something you feel excited/need help with.
Dexter44

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 09:32:53 AM

Are you sure you don't have more addresses in the wallet?
shadypepe

Activity: 266

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 09:40:37 AM

@vlad have you tried to recover the wallet like twobits suggested, for example with recuva or something similar? I personally would at least try if it's about potentially a few hundred bucks

CZd9oh4FWe4f1TB69YyedxnuGyHt21zEPu
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 10:32:55 AM

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think you are right.  Everything you just said adds up and details exactly what I did.  I'm out a fresh $400.  I should have left It at Vircurex but they got hacked twice in 2 months and I wanted to spread the risk by putting some coins on a cold drive.  Man, this hurts.  Thanks for you input.

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 10:43:20 AM
Last edit: May 23, 2013, 11:20:28 AM by Vlad2Vlad

There's no need to do any of that since this was on my desktop.  Remember a few days ago I loaded a new wallet on there to see why the one on my laptop wasn't working?  And it turned out that the desktop wallet, which was the new client, wasn't working either so then I concluded it was the firewall and it was.  

Well, right after that I decided to transfer some devcoins, 1,000,000 from vircurex to that desktop (it's actually an old dell 1U server) because it has 4 scsi drives and I was planning to use one of them as a cold drive after reading that's what vircurex does to keep hackers from getting to the wallets.  

The problem was this new wallet (with the 1,000,000 in it) was on my C drive so I was at risk everytime I got on the net so I decided to cut the entire user file so I wouldn't make the mistake of transferring just a few files, to the 4th, G drive and that's when I messed up.  So now that wallet is gone and there's a new one running.

But the wallet I gave you is off my laptop and that one is ok.  So nothing has to be done on your end, I was just trying to see if anybody knew an easy way to restore that older wallet but that doesn't look possible.  But thanks for the advice, I hope other newbies can learn from my $400 mistake.

So no worries,  I'm good to go with my old, 1BroUgeCemQvWeYBekpFyEFGZVqrXnrtQ9, wallet number.  Thanks.

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 10:50:09 AM

@vlad have you tried to recover the wallet like twobits suggested, for example with recuva or something similar? I personally would at least try if it's about potentially a few hundred bucks

I didn't try that cause I didn't know where or how to begin.  but now that you gave me a name I'll look into it.  The main reason is that this $400 today may be worth much more next year so I might as well try now.  

This is a good example of what can go wrong with wallets so hopefully new people playing around with their computers will see this and get something out of it.  If this had happened after I got paid there would have been closer to 10 million coins on there as that cold drive was going to be my main holder of my devcoins.  Good lesson to learn on someone else's skin and for $400 instead of $4,000.

Thanks for the advice.  I don't want to take more time from relevant conversations.

And thanks to MarkM, Weisoq, finshaggy and the rest who so willingly offered to help with coins.  Very unexpected.  Thanks a lot.

weisoq

Activity: 720

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 10:50:55 AM
Last edit: May 23, 2013, 11:21:33 AM by weisoq

... So no worries,  I'm good to go with my old, 1BroUgeCemQvWeYBekpFyEFGZVqrXnrtQ9, wallet number.  Thanks.
I've just sent a test (10 dvc) to that address. Can you let us know if you do/don't get it on your machine.
edit: ok I sent you some more. I can't afford 100k but something to get your wallet and maybe your zest going again, and only about 10 days until the devtome earnings.
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 11:05:45 AM
Last edit: May 23, 2013, 11:17:52 AM by Vlad2Vlad

... So no worries,  I'm good to go with my old, 1BroUgeCemQvWeYBekpFyEFGZVqrXnrtQ9, wallet number.  Thanks.
I've just sent a test (10 dvc) to that address. Can you let us know if you do/don't get it on your machine.

There it is!  I really appreciate it, man.  

Edit:  there's 27,394 now in there.  Anonymous or.....?  Thanks all the same.  I really didn't expect this.  

And if I ever recover the deleted coins I promise to return everyone's coins.  

Edit 2:  Thanks Weisoq...appreciate it.

shakezula

Activity: 308

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:46:35 PM

Is there qt wallet for mac? I've found the daemon but would love an app!
twobits

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:57:43 PM

Is there qt wallet for mac? I've found the daemon but would love an app!

Actually if you found https://www.box.com/s/ntna8dibxek351s42fxu , it has both the daemon and a gui version.  However the gui version is not packaged up into an App format yet.  That is next on the list,  just was waiting for a reason to need to do new builds.  However,  if you go to where you unpacked it and run the file devcoin instead of devcoind you should get a gui version popping up.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
shakezula

Activity: 308

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:09:01 PM

Oh thank you, I will give that another look, didnt realize one was a GUI!
twobits

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:15:08 PM

Oh thank you, I will give that another look, didnt realize one was a GUI!

I saw you looking for ixcoin earlier as well, did you find that and my namecoin builds yet?

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Pages: « 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »
  Print  

Jump to: