Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:20:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 [287] 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 ... 362 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;)  (Read 907160 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 10:24:01 AM

You are talking non-sense.  If there is some kind of explanation regarding the set up of a society without government, then surely that can be explained rather than asserting that you have some obscure knowledge that solves everything, but such knowledge is at too high of a level to take the time to explain. 

The big secret is this:
"Never was there a government that was not composed of liars, malefactors and thieves." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Now feel free to keep believing in the great gifts from your democratically representative and economically interventionist state, but my advice is to leave a way out to who wants to opt out of it. Or large-scale violence will start at some point as usual.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 10:38:16 AM

You are talking non-sense.  If there is some kind of explanation regarding the set up of a society without government, then surely that can be explained rather than asserting that you have some obscure knowledge that solves everything, but such knowledge is at too high of a level to take the time to explain. 

The big secret is this:
"Never was there a government that was not composed of liars, malefactors and thieves." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Now feel free to keep believing in the great gifts from your democratically representative and economically interventionist state, but my advice is to leave a way out to who wants to opt out of it. Or large-scale violence will start at some point as usual.

^^^THIS!

Plus the fact that the current impostors we "vote" for politicians were always been into the dirt and thus they're blackmailable. At least where I live there's no elected politician that he's/she's not "controllable". There's simply no democracy when somebody "has you" and wants something from you. You will vote for it anyway. Whoever controls the governments nowadays is ANYTHING but democratic. It's a Mafia clan which is baptised "Democratic" for misleading the crowds.

Chaos could be a form of intelligence we cannot yet understand its complexity.
silverfuture
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1008

central banking = outdated protocol

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 10:41:59 AM

The big secret is this:

^^^THIS!

Plus the fact that the current impostors we "vote" for politicians were always been into the dirt and thus they're blackmailable. At least where I live there's no elected politician that he's/she's not "controllable". There's simply no democracy when somebody "has you" and wants something from you. You will vote for it anyway. Whoever controls the governments nowadays is ANYTHING but democratic. It's a Mafia clan which is baptised "Democratic" for misleading the crowds.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2014/10/18/vote-all-you-want-the-secret-government-won-change/jVSkXrENQlu8vNcBfMn9sL/story.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NastyFans - The Fan Club for Bitcoin Enthusiasts | MININGCOINS | POOL | ESCROW
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10188

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 03:59:24 PM

The big secret is this:

I deny that any burden lies upon me to argue in favor of any government.  Part of my point, in challenging the claims of Rptiella is that he made the claims, more or less, that we can have a world without government and taxes without asserting an alternative vision.  In essence, he asserted, without substantiation, that all the various services of the tax dollars are wasted and we can just do away with such.  The burden is NOT on me to substantiate any claims, b/c I am NOT making claims, the burden, from my viewpoint, is on the person making the claims to substantiate them to some extent or to refrain engaging in such pie in the sky assertions.

Currently, I am of the believe that government is way to intertwined in a lot of ways in the lives of many people, and there would need to be a transition out of government and into some kind of alternative society.  You cannot just throw it all out, as some of these nut job get rid of government claims attempt to assert.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 04:02:23 PM

Japanese propose a "better" bitcoin
http://www.coindesk.com/japanese-scholars-draft-proposal-better-bitcoin/

In my opinion, this is a non-starter, but there is something there I am interested in, which is what would happen if the price of bitcoin goes significantly below the cost of production for most miners.

In my opinion, at $200 per BTC we would probably lose a half or more of the network, and at $100, we would lose ~80%. 15% of the network are home miners, which would be the slowest to turn the equipment off. That said, i maintain that for the bull market to restart we need to at least halve the network size first as happened in late 2011. However, KnC just announced a new 20mw data center, which does not bode well for the immediate future. Only when some of these large scale miners go out of business, bull market will resume.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 04:02:53 PM

The big secret is this:

^^^THIS!

No doubt that there are a lot of problems with government including the fact that there is too much control of government by big money rather than by people.  If there are ways to reform and to get the input of the people back into the government and to get the money out, then that would be great.  I have my doubts about whether it is practical and/or feasible to attempt any kind of total abolition of government, but there may be several ways to attempt to get money out of politics.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 04:16:02 PM

...what would happen if the price of bitcoin goes significantly below the cost of production for most miners...

Woah! That's completely fcked up man. If mining isn't that profitable anymore and this here happens to you? Just, damn.

Funkiest electrical fire I've ever seen.  Those Spondoolies boxen must be stuffed with accelerants...

conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 04:18:17 PM

If there are ways to reform and to get the input of the people back into the government and to get the money out, then that would be great.

It would be like reforming flies to not seek sh*t. Because everyone wants free sh*t paid by someone else -and can't never get enough. So the choice is between individual freedom and serfdom. Everything else is a scam.
NotLambchop

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 04:28:17 PM

...So the choice is between individual freedom and serfdom. Everything else is a scam.

Freedom is the opiate of the masses.

~Your Beneficent Reptilian Overlords.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 04:31:42 PM

In my opinion, this is a non-starter, but there is something there I am interested in, which is what would happen if the price of bitcoin goes significantly below the cost of production for most miners.

This wont happen. As opposed to for example with gold mining, with bitcoin mining, the cost of production decreases with price (indirectly by: price decrease -> some miners shut down -> difficulty decrease -> production cost decrease), because production is kept constant artificially, no matter how hard miners dig.

So unless "most miners" are irrational and mine at a loss, what you say can't happen.

That said, i maintain that for the bull market to restart we need to at least halve the network size first as happened in late 2011.

What logic are you basing that on? That less fresh fiat needs to be input just to pay for mining?

What do you mean by "size of network"? Total operating cost of mining? Aggregate hashrate?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 05:06:03 PM

This wont happen. As opposed to for example with gold mining, with bitcoin mining, the cost of production decreases with price (indirectly by: price decrease -> some miners shut down -> difficulty decrease -> production cost decrease), because production is kept constant artificially, no matter how hard miners dig.

So unless "most miners" are irrational and mine at a loss, what you say can't happen.

You are talking about long term equilibrium, but I am talking about short term (1-2 mo) after price dip. Network hashing adjustment is NOT automatic and depends on each miner decision. Price can move faster than network adjusment, but network would eventually adjust-this i agree with.

That said, i maintain that for the bull market to restart we need to at least halve the network size first as happened in late 2011.
What logic are you basing that on? That less fresh fiat needs to be input just to pay for mining?

What do you mean by "size of network"? Total operating cost of mining? Aggregate hashrate?

I am making a historical comparison with 2011 situation when bull market resumed ONLY after the network hashing rate declined ~50%-you can check the charts-they are uncanny.
By the size of network i mean the total hashing rate.
Right now low bitcoin price causes larger and larger bitcoin numbers to be dumped by miners to compensate for their costs. This is a vicious cycle that, in my opinion, will be broken only when higher cost producers are eliminated from mining OR there is a sudden increase in buying with the latter being unlikely.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 05:26:29 PM

If there are ways to reform and to get the input of the people back into the government and to get the money out, then that would be great.

It would be like reforming flies to not seek sh*t. Because everyone wants free sh*t paid by someone else -and can't never get enough. So the choice is between individual freedom and serfdom. Everything else is a scam.

your being too extreme and over generalizing... show me a complex society without some community entities (otherwise known as government). 

If the planet only had less than .5 billion people, then maybe we could each be sufficiently independent to NOT have community entities.. but I do NOT see such individual freedom with more than 7 billion peeps... therefore, some kinds of government and community establishments seem to be necessary..   In other words, it does NOT seem possible to throw out all of the bathwater b/c there happens to be a baby in there...  Cheesy Cheesy

JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 05:38:51 PM

Those Spondoolies boxen must be stuffed with accelerants...
Even plastics that are "non-flammable", like PVC and circuit boards, will release flammable gases when thrown into a fire.  Ditto for painted metal. Maybe the fire started in some flammabe material (such as the roof insulation) but was then sustained and amplified by those gases.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
NotLambchop

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 05:52:39 PM

Those Spondoolies boxen must be stuffed with accelerants...
Even plastics that are "non-flammable", like PVC and circuit boards, will release flammable gases when thrown into a fire.  Ditto for painted metal. Maybe the fire started in some flammabe material (such as the roof insulation) but was then sustained and amplified by those gases.

Not sure about the Wild East, but western insulation is mostly non flammable.   Sure, the forced air can do wonders when it comes to sustaining fires, but other than cable insulation (which sorta burns) this was an empty building with concrete floors, metal racks, and SP boxen (there's a pre-fire pic somewhere on this forum). 
Having a hard time imagining how a staffed facility could go up like that.

/Tips "911 was government jews and thermite" hat
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 06:00:41 PM

You are talking about long term equilibrium, but I am talking about short term (1-2 mo) after price dip. Network hashing adjustment is NOT automatic and depends on each miner decision. Price can move faster than network adjusment, but network would eventually adjust-this i agree with.

I am making a historical comparison with 2011 situation when bull market resumed ONLY after the network hashing rate declined ~50%-you can check the charts-they are uncanny.
Right now low bitcoin price causes larger and larger bitcoin numbers to be dumped by miners to compensate for their costs. This is a vicious cycle that, in my opinion, will be broken only when higher cost producers are eliminated from mining OR there is a sudden increase in buying with the latter being unlikely.

It's a govcoin. It could be done, and they should do it, because it would enable quick international transactions and anonymity. But they won't, because they would not give away anonymity. If they do, it won't succeed, because they would expand the supply not to stabilize prices, but to suck value out of the system. And if they could keep their hands off, it could only exist in the interim, because bitcoin.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 06:21:48 PM

Price obviously affects total hashpower, but I cannot see how hashpower could influence price.   The number of new coins mined per day is pretty much independent of hashpower (except momentarily, between difficulty adjustments).  While miners desperately wish the BTC price to go up, they have no means to influence it.

My reading of what happened in 2011 is: a new large market (drug users? Thailand?) opened in Apr/2011, and, as it adopted bitcoin, the demand caused the 2011 bubble, pushing the price from ~0.6$ to ~14$ in Jul/2011.  But that market then closed (Thailand banned bitcoin?), and its members gradually sold its coins; so that the price started to drop towards the pre-bubble level (~0.6$).  However, in Nov/2011 -- when the price was still at ~2.2$, or +1.6$ above the floor, but still dropping -- another market opened, and its demand bumped the price to ~6.6$ (a +4.5$ increase).  Meanwhile, the first market continued to shrink; by the end of Feb/2012 its demand had vanished, eliminating the remaining +1.6$ overprice and bringing the price down to 5.0$.  Thus the the second market, alone, was responsible for the overall increase from ~0.6$ in Apr/2011 to ~5.0$ in Mar/2012.

The situation now seems to be indeed similar to that of Nov/2011. The Chinese speculators who were responsible for the Nov/2013 bubble seem to be losing interest and selling their coins, and this loss of demand is driving the price down to the pre-bubble level (~140$).  However, in order to get a recovery similar to that of Nov/2011, one would need a similar cause -- namely, another new market of sufficient size.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 06:33:52 PM

yes, I agree. I think it makes sense to look at the percentage of mined coins being sold by miners (I have no idea what that currently is.. maybe 50%?). It cannot reach >100%, so the vicious cycle is broken at that point. I recently guesstimated at what price miners would have to sell 100% of their coins to cover operating cost (captial investment excluded). Came out to very roughly $100. If anyone has better numbers, I'd be interested to see them.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 06:47:37 PM
Last edit: November 07, 2014, 07:01:53 PM by Biodom

I cannot see how hashpower could influence price.  

As OP had also posted, only indirectly, of course. High hash power for higher cost producers (miners) causes them to liquidate larger and larger % of their bitcoin, shifting the price equilibrium toward lower BTC cost-in a vicious cycle.

yes, I agree. I think it makes sense to look at the percentage of mined coins being sold by miners (I have no idea what that currently is.. maybe 50%?). It cannot reach >100%, so the vicious cycle is broken at that point. I recently guesstimated at what price miners would have to sell 100% of their coins to cover operating cost (captial investment excluded). Came out to very roughly $100. If anyone has better numbers, I'd be interested to see them.

It is difficult to calculate, but from the personal experience, either hosting or home based cost ~10-14c/kwh in US, which makes costs around ~$135-150/BTC for most efficient hosted machines and ~$110-125 for home based miners, so your number is essentially correct. This does not take into consideration the cost of mining equipment, which is unrealistic, of course. In a hosting situation, i have to either sell ~50% of mined BTC or keep BTC and cover costs out of pocket. Every increase in difficulty and stagnating or decreasing price will skew this more and more toward 100%. The option of not selling is not available in most cases for large organizations, although bitfury claimed that they do not currently sell mined BTC because the price is "too low".
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2211
Merit: 3178

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 07:19:18 PM

Have you read the DiitalBTC Q3 report?
http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20141020/pdf/42t0mqrygyzd74.pdf

However, because of investments in mining equipment and the fact that the firm is holding a significant portion of its mined bitcoin, the company posted an operating loss of $261,000.

Despite the figures, the company is downplaying the effect of short-term price fluctuations on its business and still maintains its performance is "robust".

Unlike most bitcoin companies, Digital CC Limited is a public company, trading on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) as 'digitalBTC'. This makes it is the only major mining operation with an obligation to provide such information, giving outsiders a rare glimpse into the inner working of a bitcoin mining company.

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 08:31:59 PM

Miners dumping all dumping a majority of their coin is a myth that I have repeatedly proven to be wrong.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Pages: « 1 ... 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 [287] 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 ... 362 »
  Print  

Jump to: