Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:22:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 [263] 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 ... 362 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;)  (Read 907160 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 09:03:16 PM

Someone has some secret sauce ASIC that is ahead of the curve and is mining with it instead of selling it.

Rather selling the proceeds.

Of course yes. But the distinction I was drawing is that the growth in hash rate doesn't flow from an open market of miners believing that increased investment in capacity expansion is a good idea (which could be interpreted as a mid term bullish indicaator). It is simply someone who has made hashes cheaper (to them) so they can shovel out a lot of them.

And my point was that the extensive investment in proprietary hashing capacity has an upfront capital cost that must be recouped by liquidating the coins as soon as possible in a downtrend.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 11:07:37 PM

Someone has some secret sauce ASIC that is ahead of the curve and is mining with it instead of selling it.

Rather selling the proceeds.

Of course yes. But the distinction I was drawing is that the growth in hash rate doesn't flow from an open market of miners believing that increased investment in capacity expansion is a good idea (which could be interpreted as a mid term bullish indicaator). It is simply someone who has made hashes cheaper (to them) so they can shovel out a lot of them.

And my point was that the extensive investment in proprietary hashing capacity has an upfront capital cost that must be recouped by liquidating the coins as soon as possible in a downtrend.

If your suggestion is that large farm-based mining (or a likely expansion of large farm-based mining) is a negative pricing factor, I definitely agree, both on short term technical grounds and also broader long term (or at least mid-term) reasons.

BldSwtTrs
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 10:53:33 AM

Can someone explain me why the hashrate going up is good for the price?

I mean, I know economics. I know that the supply is a function of price and cost. So if cost goes up for miners, then the supply will shrink. But why the hashrate should be consider as proxy of cost?

It's is quite possible that the cost for most of the miners is actually going down while the hashrate and difficulty are increasing. If there is a consolidation of the mining market, big mining farms are making economy of scales, so their margins increase while the hashrate increase too, so they could very well selling a greater proportion of their mined coins to enjoy their high margin.

All of that to say that I am not convince that the hashrate is a good proxy for evaluating the cost of mining BTC, therefore not necessary a good indicator for the future price of BTC.
Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 10:57:34 AM

What I'm asking myself is if and when bitcoin will fail. To me, now seems the most likely time for bitcoin to just fade out and never come back which makes me uncomfortable

Selling at a bottom is a fail. If you feel prone to it, just get a vacation of 6 months and check back then.

What I mean is if bitcoin were to ever fail then now would be the time. I doubt bitcoin would fail and fade out when we are at $5k

I hope you're right though

When BTC is $5k, I would think Wall Street is in. The momentum will keep it going.
BuildTheFuture

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 01:59:44 PM

I mean, I know economics. I know that the supply is a function of price and cost. So if cost goes up for miners, then the supply will shrink. But why the hashrate should be consider as proxy of cost?

I think because a lot of mines are actually funded by folks looking for a way to buy BTC more cheaply than they can get it via exchange. Aminorex for example has mentioned in the wall observer thread how he has had contact with folks who contract with mines to buy their produced BTC for accumulation purposes.

Ok, so that works great as long as mines can produce BTC at a cost below the current exchange rate. But this essentially puts a floor beneath the exchange rate as the costs of mining continue to rise. Eventually the cost increases to a point where it might be actually cheaper to buy BTC on an exchange.

So from this view, the cost of mining and exchange price can be linked, with large BTC accumulators buying BTC from whichever source is cheapest at a given time.

As for hashrate being a proxy for cost, I think this is demonstrably true. In cases where hashing technology is roughly stable such in the CPU mining era, it quite clearly takes more silicon and electricity to mine a bitcoin if the difficulty factor increases. Economies of scale help, but the current large mining operations are already at that scale so there isn't much left to squeeze from that. If you search around you can find pretty good estimates of current mining costs, I think the current BTC price is in the ballpark for probably the overall hashrate, although newer mines are probably still slightly profitable here.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 02:26:13 PM

If you search around you can find pretty good estimates of current mining costs

No you really can't because the biggest share of costs is the mining gear and it has been very difficult if not impossible for anyone to buy such gear at prices that don't lose money. The reason of course is that ASIC developers themselves mine in large farms and their costs are totally opaque (and likely quite different from one another). The way the competitive mining market works is the least efficient miners break even or lose money. That's basically everyone in the public. How much everyone else (ie ASIC developers) make only they know.
BuildTheFuture

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 02:49:39 PM

No you really can't because the biggest share of costs is the mining gear and it has been very difficult if not impossible for anyone to buy such gear at prices that don't lose money. The reason of course is that ASIC developers themselves mine in large farms and their costs are totally opaque (and likely quite different from one another). The way the competitive mining market works is the least efficient miners break even or lose money. That's basically everyone in the public. How much everyone else (ie ASIC developers) make only they know.

I've seen chip production costs mentioned in the "ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It" thread of between $0.25/GH and $0.35/GH in the past few months.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 03:00:19 PM

I've seen chip production costs mentioned in the "ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It" thread of between $0.25/GH and $0.35/GH in the past few months.

Production cost (measured per chip) is not an equipment mining cost (measured per hash), because the latter depends on useful lifespan. No ASICs have had very long lives (more than a year or so), but they certainly vary depending on efficiency, underclockability, electricity costs, reliability, etc. Other designers ASIC designs will have a different set of tradeoffs, aside from some just being overall better or worse (remember, only the least efficient lose money in this market, so every design but the very worst is viable; they need not be comparable as is the case in most other competitive markets). As I said, all over the map.

rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 06:17:06 PM

According to the OP, this is the official thread for enjoying wine and cigars. I recently came to Malla after a longish break. While I was quietly minding my own business with some reasonable quality wine (Dow's 20yo Tawny Port) and some really nice vintage cigars, including, but not limited to Bossner Baron 2000, Davidoff Eminentes, and Diamond Crown 2004, I decided to go out since it had already become dark.

The day had been really quiet of cars, so a sight of a large pick-up coming, immediately caught my attention, especially as it turned from the road to my yard. When walking towards it, it did not stop to greet me, rather passed, went to turn around in the other side of the yard, and passed me again while I just walked towards it and stared at it in my friendly way.

A similar incident, my staff told me, had already happened this week with a car with no licence plates.

I should have no enemies in Estonia, and I am not doing any business here really that would interfere with somebody else's business without me even knowing. So what comes to the incidents, I have to deduce that either it is some larger agency conducting intelligence (very plausible, because several agencies are not doing their job unless they have a plan for raiding this place, just in case) or common thieves conducting intelligence in a similar way, but for somewhat different ends.

The conference is starting Tuesday, so we have had some preliminary action. Hopefully this was it, but you never know.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 06:34:39 PM

According to the OP, this is the official thread for enjoying wine and cigars. I recently came to Malla after a longish break. While I was quietly minding my own business with some reasonable quality wine (Dow's 20yo Tawny Port) and some really nice vintage cigars, including, but not limited to Bossner Baron 2000, Davidoff Eminentes, and Diamond Crown 2004, I decided to go out since it had already become dark.

The day had been really quiet of cars, so a sight of a large pick-up coming, immediately caught my attention, especially as it turned from the road to my yard. When walking towards it, it did not stop to greet me, rather passed, went to turn around in the other side of the yard, and passed me again while I just walked towards it and stared at it in my friendly way.

A similar incident, my staff told me, had already happened this week with a car with no licence plates.

I should have no enemies in Estonia, and I am not doing any business here really that would interfere with somebody else's business without me even knowing. So what comes to the incidents, I have to deduce that either it is some larger agency conducting intelligence (very plausible, because several agencies are not doing their job unless they have a plan for raiding this place, just in case) or common thieves conducting intelligence in a similar way, but for somewhat different ends.

The conference is starting Tuesday, so we have had some preliminary action. Hopefully this was it, but you never know.

Most likely a hitman Grin
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 06:36:38 PM

I left that out of the speculation, since a hit would have been quite easy in the headlights from 20 meters.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 07:22:18 PM

It's is quite possible that the cost for most of the miners is actually going down while the hashrate and difficulty are increasing. If there is a consolidation of the mining market, big mining farms are making economy of scales, so their margins increase while the hashrate increase too, so they could very well selling a greater proportion of their mined coins to enjoy their high margin.

All of that to say that I am not convince that the hashrate is a good proxy for evaluating the cost of mining BTC, therefore not necessary a good indicator for the future price of BTC.

I agree with you. There have been lengthy arguments about "hashrate follows price" or "price follows hashrate" for years now. I'm in the former camp.

Also: supply is not a function of price and cost in the case of bitcoin mining. Supply is pretty much constant, miners just fight among each others over the fixed-sized cake. So only way in which mining influences price is by one variable: the percentage of coins sold by miners into the market.

I think this percentage is increasing with falling price, up to some point... some miners will reach > 100% and switch off. If they want BTC they'll buy instead. Mining efficiency (of the remaining miners) increases and cost decreases. Their selling-percentage decreases. All this has positive effect on price, further decreasing the percentage that has to be sold to cover cost. I'm not sure we've reached low enough price (or competitive enough mining landscape) for this to play out to a meaningful extent.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 07:50:03 PM

Someone interested in your digital wealth?

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2014, 07:57:12 PM

Maybe moat dredging and gatehouse time is coming after the thaws?

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 12:55:19 AM

Maybe moat dredging and gatehouse time is coming after the thaws?

Palace intrigue!   Shocked

My God, Monero has the best drama of any altcoin bar none and is rapidly gaining on Bitcoin's stellar histrionics.

Of course Monero attracts the best trolls too.  BCX wouldn't being FUDing for cheap Monero if he wasn't worried about the threat to his BTC and LTC hoards.

I'm going to need slightly larger glasses!

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
yefi
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1510

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 02:00:40 AM

I agree with you. There have been lengthy arguments about "hashrate follows price" or "price follows hashrate" for years now. I'm in the former camp.

Also: supply is not a function of price and cost in the case of bitcoin mining. Supply is pretty much constant, miners just fight among each others over the fixed-sized cake. So only way in which mining influences price is by one variable: the percentage of coins sold by miners into the market.

I think this percentage is increasing with falling price, up to some point... some miners will reach > 100% and switch off. If they want BTC they'll buy instead. Mining efficiency (of the remaining miners) increases and cost decreases. Their selling-percentage decreases. All this has positive effect on price, further decreasing the percentage that has to be sold to cover cost. I'm not sure we've reached low enough price (or competitive enough mining landscape) for this to play out to a meaningful extent.

If the price drops so that the increased portion of the cake they earn is worth less in fiat terms, then would they not need to sell a larger percentage of coins to cover costs?
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 02:13:46 AM

time to buy a surveillance drone
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 01:43:45 PM

If the price drops so that the increased portion of the cake they earn is worth less in fiat terms, then would they not need to sell a larger percentage of coins to cover costs?

Yes, at first. What I meant was when inefficient miners start to drop out, the collective selling-percentage would decrease again.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 01:45:36 PM

how subtle

yefi
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1510

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 05:16:17 PM
Last edit: September 21, 2014, 05:28:38 PM by yefi

Yes, at first. What I meant was when inefficient miners start to drop out, the collective selling-percentage would decrease again.

Well, I see two counteractive forces at work - each remaining miner will solve more blocks and at a lower cost collectively, yet the reward from each block is shrinking in terms of fiat. Therefore, to lower the selling-percentage, the benefit of the former must outweigh the latter for a given price drop. Maybe this is what you're saying however.
Pages: « 1 ... 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 [263] 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 ... 362 »
  Print  

Jump to: