Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 01:24:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 [268] 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 ... 362 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;)  (Read 907160 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 09:00:09 PM

[log price chart]
[variation from trend chart]
A backtested strategy suggests buying when the J line (purple) rises above 50 and selling when the J line falls below 50.
January 9th 2012 would not have been a really good time to buy.
Although other moments would have been a very good time to buy according to the strategy.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 10:24:58 PM

Unless we make a significant new low (below $266 would qualify), we have just made a multi-month double bottom, an incredibly bullish signal, way more bullish than the 1-month double bottom at $2 in 2011.

QFI:
Unless we make a significant new low (below $266 would qualify), we have just made a multi-month double bottom, an incredibly bullish signal, way more bullish than the 1-month double bottom at $2 in 2011.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 10:50:36 PM

QFI:

I see so many people with bullish expectations...that seems like a bearish indicator to a contrarian like me.   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
CMMPro

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 11:16:46 PM

[log price chart]
[variation from trend chart]

Nice charts. I especially like the central tendency illustration over the past 12 months.

Here is the one-week resolution log chart of Bitstamp prices with your regression line approximated by me. The bottom technical indicator is the KDJ as provided by Bitcoin Wisdom. A backtested strategy suggests buying when the J line (purple) rises above 50 and selling when the J line falls below 50.

Hey Stephen....as I mentioned on cryptocrypt last week...I believe the KDJ is one of the best indicators I've found so far but I believe we have to look for the J line to cross below 20 for a buy signal. It is currently reaching into that territory. Notice how the lower crossovers exactly pinpoint the bottom before a rise and the higher crossovers pinpoint the coming drop...this indicator seems to lead very nicely. 

I will consider it a very strong buy signal if we get a sharp upward crossover below 20...if you see the J line cross and stay above (on the 3d chart) you know the time has come.

SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 01:28:11 AM

[Hey Stephen....as I mentioned on cryptocrypt last week...I believe the KDJ is one of the best indicators I've found so far but I believe we have to look for the J line to cross below 20 for a buy signal. It is currently reaching into that territory. Notice how the lower crossovers exactly pinpoint the bottom before a rise and the higher crossovers pinpoint the coming drop...this indicator seems to lead very nicely. 

I will consider it a very strong buy signal if we get a sharp upward crossover below 20...if you see the J line cross and stay above (on the 3d chart) you know the time has come.

I am buying fractional coin each month and do not plan to trade until we get the next bubble peak, i.e. I am buying now regardless of indicators.  However algorithmic trading methods are very interesting. I just learned about the KDJ indicator, and maybe from you. I like the weekly chart and the long term swings.

Do you have a preferred time-resolution for the KDJ indicator - assuming zero trading fees as can obtained on the liquid Chinese exchanges?

-Stephen
CMMPro

Activity: 588

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 01:45:09 AM

I think we have to watch 3d for the J line cross and then be prepared to move to a short time period when price starts moving quickly.

Personally I'm making longer term trades in and out of the market with 10-20% of my holdings...so 3d is fine in my case.
Some people may want to put a magnifying glass to the market and try to gain on every 15 min blip...not me.  

The 3 day KDJ is brilliant as far as I'm concerned.

Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 02:14:36 AM

I am curious about long term scenarios. We all know about 21 mil max bitcoins. However, if and when COIN or BIT will start trading, what would prevent Wall Street to multiply the number of supposedly strictly restricted number of units 10 or 100 fold? Nobody ever challenged GLD ETF to show that they actually own the amount of gold they supposed to have. Brokerages already using hypothecation for stocks, which together with other techniques in case of heavily shorted stocks is rumored to vastly increase the number of shares for some companies.

On the other hand, Bill Gates could sneeze in the morning and "accidentally" use one-one and a half day worth of his dividends and bitcoin will be above $1000  Smiley.
coinits
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 02:25:52 AM

I am curious about long term scenarios. We all know about 21 mil max bitcoins. However, if and when COIN or BIT will start trading, what would prevent Wall Street to multiply the number of supposedly strictly restricted number of units 10 or 100 fold? Nobody ever challenged GLD ETF to show that they actually own the amount of gold they supposed to have. Brokerages already using hypothecation for stocks, which together with other techniques in case of heavily shorted stocks is rumored to vastly increase the number of shares for some companies.

On the other hand, Bill Gates could sneeze in the morning and "accidentally" use one-one and a half day worth of his dividends and bitcoin will be above $1000  Smiley.

It's impossible. There is more GLD ETF then ever has been mined. GLD in its fine print says that they will settle accounts in cash if it comes to that. It is fraud sanctioned by the US government. It keeps the price artificially suppressed so their fiat lives on. There is no audit trail. It is kabuki theater. The only ETF that I know of that has audited gold with serial numbers is Sprott Physical Gold Trust (PHYS). Same thing with silver. SLV is a fraud. PSLV is legit.

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 02:30:28 AM

It's impossible. There is more GLD ETF then ever has been mined. GLD in its fine print says that they will settle accounts in cash if it comes to that. It is fraud sanctioned by the US government. It keeps the price artificially suppressed so their fiat lives on. There is no audit trail. It is kabuki theater. The only ETF that I know of that has audited gold with serial numbers is Sprott Physical Gold Trust (PHYS). Same thing with silver. SLV is a fraud. PSLV is legit.

If so, the same nonsense might be repeated with COIN.
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 02:32:37 AM

It should be trivial to provide blockchain verifiable evidence of holdings in realtime. In fact I expect this before I send them a penny from my tax free stocks wrapper.
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 02:35:54 AM

It should be trivial to provide blockchain verifiable evidence of holdings in realtime. In fact I expect this before I send them a penny from my tax free stocks wrapper.

it should be trivial to document gold holdings as well. Perhaps you know this, but Joe public does not have the knowledge to check the blockchain to verify. Even for an expert, it would take a while, and they will say that it is proprietary info.
inca
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 02:38:26 AM

On the other hand, Bill Gates could sneeze in the morning and "accidentally" use one-one and a half day worth of his dividends and bitcoin will be above $1000  Smiley.

it should be trivial to document gold holdings as well. Perhaps you know this, but Joe public does not have the knowledge to check the blockchain to verify. Even for an expert, it would take a while, and they will say that it is proprietary info.

Well some exchanges reveal their holdings in a blockchain verifiable way. The same will i am sure be true of COIN. You think a major investor is going to send them millions of dollars and just accept that they have the coins without proof? Lol.

It is totally different from gold. This is a cryptographically verifiable non counterfeitable digital token - much cooler Smiley
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 02:44:19 AM

On the other hand, Bill Gates could sneeze in the morning and "accidentally" use one-one and a half day worth of his dividends and bitcoin will be above $1000  Smiley.

Well some exchanges reveal their holdings in a blockchain verifiable way. The same will i am sure be true of COIN. You think a major investor is going to send them millions of dollars and just accept that they have the coins without proof? Lol.

It is totally different from gold. This is a cryptographically verifiable non counterfeitable digital token - much cooler Smiley

Yes, they will show you btc, but how will you learn that they did not create multiple side entries where they hypothecated and rehypothicated the same bitcoin to others in lieu of some other instruments. It is being done in stocks ALL the time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothecation
inca
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 03:02:20 AM

Yes, they will show you btc, but how will you learn that they did not create multiple side entries where they hypothecated and rehypothicated the same bitcoin to others in lieu of some other instruments. It is being done in stocks ALL the time.

Because bitcoin is one of the few entities to exist in the world ever that allows provably verifiable holdings to be checked (on the blockchain). If the ETF has units which are fractions of a btc then this means it is trivial to confirm the etf is holding the exact number of  coins they need to prevent a fractional reserve system. Could they try and sell more shares of the ETF than their verified holdings allow - yes. But they would probably be caught out.

I agree though that the gold ETFs were probably a fractional reserve, in cahoots with the bullion banks.
chopstick
Legendary

Activity: 992

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 03:10:52 AM

Rpetilia, where are you??

How many coins do I need to be a billionaire?
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 03:16:15 AM

Rpetilia, where are you??

How many coins do I need to be a billionaire?

wikipedia:

A billionaire, in countries that use the short scale number naming system, is a person with a net worth of at least one billion (1,000,000,000) units of a given currency...

Tongue
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 03:47:43 AM

There is more GLD ETF then ever has been mined.

Where do people come up with these paranoid delusions?

"GLD Mkt Cap 29.99B"

"A total of 174,100 tonnes of gold have been mined in human history"

Not even 1%.

JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10188

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 03:56:03 AM

Because bitcoin is one of the few entities to exist in the world ever that allows provably verifiable holdings to be checked (on the blockchain). If the ETF has units which are fractions of a btc then this means it is trivial to confirm the etf is holding the exact number of  coins they need to prevent a fractional reserve system. Could they try and sell more shares of the ETF than their verified holdings allow - yes. But they would probably be caught out.

I agree though that the gold ETFs were probably a fractional reserve, in cahoots with the bullion banks.

I am of the belief that so far, the BTC sphere has NOT established any reliable and/or well known mechanism for auditing bitcoin exchanges (and/or other holders of customer bitcoins), and surely, it would be nice to establish these kinds of auditing systems in order to match up every bitcoin with one that exists on the blockchain - because supposedly one of the central and valuable attributes of bitcoin remains its NON-duplicating scarcity.   

If bitcoin loses its non-duplicating scarcity or exchanges (and/or other holders of customer bitcoins) are able to engage in fractional reserve banking, then the value of bitcoin (and its scarcity) is going to be considerably undermined... and BTC prices will go into the toilet... and/or remained at extensively deflated levels.

Sometimes I have suspected that some of the current exchanges (and maybe even the chinese exchanges) are already engaging in a form of fractional reserve banking with bitcoins - because I wonder from where are all the bitcoins are coming that are being sold and dumped on the exchanges.. though it is possible that the exchanges need NOT be engaging in fractional reserve banking in order for BTC prices to be manipulated downward so long as they have systems in which they can acquire large quantities of coins OTC and then transfer them to exchanges for dumping (buy in secret and sell publicly, which downwardly manipulates prices) which seems to be the current status of BTC's prices to be manipulated downward on exchange dumps.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Bagatell

Activity: 722

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 07:09:14 AM

Really? That's a remarkably precise number. Does it include Yamashita's gold, I wonder?
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 10:03:54 AM

Really? That's a remarkably precise number. Does it include Yamashita's gold, I wonder?

yes any particular number should be precise, but is it accurate?
Pages: « 1 ... 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 [268] 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 ... 362 »
  Print  

Jump to: