Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 01:17:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 [279] 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 ... 362 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;)  (Read 907160 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
BTCtrader71

Activity: 784
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 12:29:18 AM

BTW, the price of BTC is currently below the mining cost for a majority of miners if you include the price of equipment as well.
If it stays this way, network will crash hard (hashing will decline ~50%) soon.

Non sequitur. The equipment costs will not come into play the way you suggest. No one is going to let mining rigs sit idle unless the cost of electricity (plus whatever other maintenance costs exist) is greater than the yield in bitcoin. The high purchase price of equipment would mean they won't be buying any more. But it would not make them turn off what they already have.

True re equipment costs as the only cause, but if no new equipment is deployed, but old equipment is decommissioned, then the network speed WILL decrease.
here is the first mining "bearwhale" for you, but there will be more
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=813649.0

There are at least two self-correcting mechanisms that will kick in to support the network speed. The question is not whether they will kick in, but when. We should not be alarmed when we see them kick in, because these mechanisms are part of the design.

1. Every decrease in hash power makes all the rest of the mining rigs more profitable.
2. If network speed becomes a problem, then users of the network will be willing to pay more in mining fees.

BTC: 14oTcy1DNEXbcYjzPBpRWV11ZafWxNP8EU

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 12:31:37 AM

BTW, the price of BTC is currently below the mining cost for a majority of miners if you include the price of equipment as well.

Non sequitur. The equipment costs will not come into play the way you suggest. No one is going to let mining rigs sit idle unless the cost of electricity (plus whatever other maintenance costs exist) is greater than the yield in bitcoin. The high purchase price of equipment would mean they won't be buying any more. But it would not make them turn off what they already have.

True re equipment costs as the only cause, but if no new equipment is deployed, but old equipment is decommissioned, then the network speed WILL decrease.

There are at least two self-correcting mechanisms that will kick in to support the network speed. The question is not whether they will kick in, but when. We should not be alarmed when we see them kick in, because these mechanisms are part of the design.

1. Every decrease in hash power makes all the rest of the mining rigs more profitable.
2. If network speed becomes a problem, then users of the network will be willing to pay more in mining fees.

yeah, i am not concerned at all, just commenting on BTC price vs network speed. In 2011 we did have ~50% reduction in hashing power.
I would welcome it right now because even the best current rigs available for consumer purchases are unprofitable.
In a long run it did not change anything.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 12:44:51 AM

yeah, i am not concerned at all, just commenting on BTC price vs network speed. In 2011 we did have ~50% reduction in hashing power.
I would welcome it right now because even the best current rigs available for consumer purchases are unprofitable.
In a long run it did not change anything.

There is much more mining then is needed for security of the network currently, but for the concentration of the mining control.
The worst effect is that these that are the least profitable tend to be the most decentralized.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Trolololo

Activity: 263
Merit: 280

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 07:42:35 PM

This is a very reasonable proposal, and will definitely increase adoption since BTC XBT will again look cheap.

Support +1.

Sooo... I wonder if bits is still useful for nickname or xbit? Exhibit seems too many syllables and doesn't flow smoothly for saying a lot. I kind of hope XBT is just referred to as bits.

+1

@AstroChicks question about "who has authority": stop asking for authority, don't ask for permission. Anyone is free to use whichever unit they wish. However note that there is strong opposition both against the specific name "bits" and also for "changing the unit and confusing people". Whichever unit will be used, it will be a decision made by use.

I am with the opposition to "bits", but it does not matter, as OP said. Use determines the terms.
However, the only way to logically reconcile Bitcoin foundation proposal with historical status is to use base unit of "bitcoin" (XBT) and satoshi at 1:100 of XBT.
BTC can be used as a historical unit. The only thing that is required is recalculation of XBT as 100 satoshi(s).
Result: Everyone with one BTC will be XBT millionaire.
Although the last point is somewhat silly, the positive psychological effect is undeniable.

If Bitcoin fully replaces fiat and its value stabilizes in 1 million USD:

- One BTC or "Bitcoin" (first letter uppercase) would be equivalent to one million dollars or one million "bitcoins" or "coin".
- One XBT or "bitcoin" (first letter lowercase) or "coin" would be equivalent to one dollar.
- One "Satoshi" would be equivalent to one cent.

I like that.

It's difficult for people to remember more than two decimals. Today's 8 decimals are a headache..
Trolololo

Activity: 263
Merit: 280

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 07:46:16 PM

Returning to AT and to last Sunday's flashcrash to 275, I think that the 30k whale intentionally drawed a high volume bottom at 275. Somehow showing that the accumulation phase had started. And accumulation phase could last for months...

Revisiting 275 by mid December is highly probable, in my opinion.
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 08:05:57 PM

Returning to AT and to last Sunday's flashcrash to 275, I think that the 30k whale intentionally drawed a high volume bottom at 275. Somehow showing that the accumulation phase had started. And accumulation phase could last for months...

Huh

maybe I'm missing something but I thought the accumulation phase was during the previous down trend

now that wweak hands have been shaken out. whales will want it to go up

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 08:08:52 PM

We don't have to revisit it exactly; we can overshoot to $240-270 or undershoot to $295 or even $320.
The majority of my coins were purchased at higher prices, but I am not selling, unless bitcoin becomes unviable.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 12:54:28 AM

Huh

maybe I'm missing something but I thought the accumulation phase was during the previous down trend

now that wweak hands have been shaken out. whales will want it to go up

That's far too logical and sensible. Conspiracy theory requires the whales to be eternally selling, trying to crash the price, so that they can somehow "own it all".

sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 04:26:23 AM

it will go up when you least expect it.. and not when noobs buy
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 09:41:46 AM

whales to be eternally selling, so that they can somehow "own it all".

If you could do it, wouldn't you?  Cheesy

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 11:01:46 AM

I wouldn't.  If I owned all the coin, how much would it be worth? :p
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 11:05:38 AM

Agreed. Seems a bit short sighted, like shooting yourself in the face a little

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
BTCtrader71

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 02:00:32 PM

If you owned and hoarded all but a small fraction of all coins in existence, then that small fraction would run the network just fine, just with a higher value per bitcoin than if your hoarded coins were released into the wild.

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 02:13:13 PM

If you could do it, wouldn't you?  Cheesy

I wouldn't.  If I owned all the coin, how much would it be worth? :p

If you owned and hoarded all but a small fraction of all coins in existence, then that small fraction would run the network just fine, just with a higher value per bitcoin than if your hoarded coins were released into the wild.

If you owned and hoarded all but a small fraction it would be easier to pump. I see that part

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
BTCtrader71

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 02:16:55 PM

If you owned and hoarded all but a small fraction it would be easier to pump. I see that part

If you lost the private keys to your hoard so that they were unrecoverable for all practical purposes, the network would function just fine without them, even if your hoard consisted of 99.9% of all bitcoins.

Majormax
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 04:49:31 PM

If you lost the private keys to your hoard so that they were unrecoverable for all practical purposes, the network would function just fine without them, even if your hoard consisted of 99.9% of all bitcoins.

...but then there would be no buyers, because the fools always believe a 99% 'premine' (scam loss) is 'overhanging' the market. No distribution, no market.

You could never prove to any prospective buyer that you had 'really' lost the keys.
BTCtrader71

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 04:58:37 PM

...but then there would be no buyers, because the fools always believe a 99% 'premine' (scam loss) is 'overhanging' the market. No distribution, no market.

You could never prove to any prospective buyer that you had 'really' lost the keys.

True. Although I think there are ways to provably burn bitcoins so everyone can be confident they will never be retrieved. This conversation has me wondering what Satoshi is going to do with his stash, and what I would do if I were in his shoes. Something that would benefit bitcoin. Letting them sit forever unused would cause uncertainty in the market for reasons described. So, either burn them or use them for something. But what, and when?

DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 05:30:01 PM

True. Although I think there are ways to provably burn bitcoins so everyone can be confident they will never be retrieved. This conversation has me wondering what Satoshi is going to do with his stash, and what I would do if I were in his shoes. Something that would benefit bitcoin. Letting them sit forever unused would cause uncertainty in the market for reasons described. So, either burn them or use them for something. But what, and when?

I agree completely, Satoshi needs to do something with those coins, it would be the single biggest boost to Bitcoin. Here is what i recommmend:

1. Make Goxed account holders whole and any other bitcoin disaster where addresses and accounts are known (yes I was Goxed Smiley
2. Announce the ultimate give away. Using a well thought out strategy, pay out all remaining Bitcoins to current holders, excluding largest 10% of addresses.

Price would sky rocket!

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 06:11:15 PM

I agree completely, Satoshi needs to do something with those coins, it would be the single biggest boost to Bitcoin. Here is what i recommmend:

1. Make Goxed account holders whole and any other bitcoin disaster where addresses and accounts are known (yes I was Goxed Smiley
2. Announce the ultimate give away. Using a well thought out strategy, pay out all remaining Bitcoins to current holders, excluding largest 10% of addresses.

Price would sky rocket!

Price would drop- millions of coins will be put on the market.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 06:15:23 PM

Price would sky rocket!

Price would drop- millions of coins will be put on the market.

Basically what will happen when Ross's next stash gets auctioned off

Roll Eyes

yeah cause that's what happened the last time when the 30k got auctioned off right

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Pages: « 1 ... 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 [279] 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 ... 362 »
  Print  

Jump to: