Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:50:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2219 2220 2221 2222 2223 2224 2225 2226 2227 2228 2229 2230 2231 2232 2233 2234 2235 2236 2237 2238 2239 2240 2241 2242 2243 2244 2245 2246 2247 2248 2249 2250 2251 2252 2253 2254 2255 2256 2257 2258 2259 2260 2261 2262 2263 2264 2265 2266 2267 2268 [2269] 2270 2271 2272 2273 2274 2275 2276 2277 2278 2279 2280 2281 2282 2283 2284 2285 2286 2287 2288 2289 2290 2291 2292 2293 2294 2295 2296 2297 2298 2299 2300 2301 2302 2303 2304 2305 2306 2307 2308 2309 2310 2311 2312 2313 2314 2315 2316 2317 2318 2319 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722511 times)
camosoul

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 08:00:10 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2014, 08:11:23 PM by camosoul

The way I understand it, nothing is added to the blockchain between the green boxes. The masternodes never actually hold the funds, they just facilitate signing. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.  
This is correct the masternodes never actually hold the funds they just facilitate transactions.
Pardon me for playing Devil's Advocate: But, if the coins don't actually change hands, how does this obfuscate anything?
XC is coin-forwarding (coins go to the node). DRK's masternode simply signs transactions.
Please enlighten me further; elaborate.
When I want to send you money through a DarkSend, the masternode does not receive my coins and forward it to you. This would be a trusted technique in which the node would potentially steal the coin. What the masternode does is use my keys for signing the transaction. It's a middleman who never owns my coins.

In XC, for example, A sends the coins to node and then node sends coins to B.
Can't the difference between signing and sending be identified?
Yes.

How does this obfuscate anything?
It doesn't matter, because we don't know who/where the coins came from (the sending addresses aren't associated with anyone). You still need IP obfuscation to avoid a node associating a TX with your IP.

This is rewinding the conversation a bit. No longer focusing on the mixing/denominating technique, but on the fundamental idea of whether or not anything is actually being obfuscated by MNs at all...
OK, I thought I was right about that, but the announcement sounded almost like it was saying "this fixes everything" and it's really just a very large step int eh right direction with what I count as 5 small loose ends to be tied up yet.

One would still need to TX with denominated inputs AND peel off randomly timed change and intermix denominations to hide the quantity in/out. Oh, and IP obfuscation...

This lump of clay is really starting to come together.

.OROCOIN.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coinzcoinzcoinz

Activity: 530

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:03:32 PM

Looks like we are about to make history. I take my hat off to Evan. Genius.
thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:06:32 PM

I agree that this makes sense for an objective, BUT:

Do the wallet-sent TX stand out in that mist? I still think the client should denominate before it sends to a masternode. This might happen by default per the pre-mix. But, sends from wallets are still not sends from identified MNs, so it's something identifiably not mist going into the mist... Thus, it might be identified coming out. I'd like to see a denominated multi-point-exit to shore this up.

No !  Wink

That's the beauty of it - the transaction itself is now crystal clear which is what you want for verification, but the terminals are completely anonymous. He's separated completely the anonymising process from the transaction process which is a far more powerful configuration.

There's now no practical chance of ever tracing anything because the start and end points are effectively virgin each time. You don't need to ever worry about how "visible" the transaction is because the network precipitates your holdings into a fresh address before you even send them. That's why I said he's "moved the goalposts" because instead of the emphasis being on anonymising the transaction (which is the weak link in the chain) it's now the addresses that are continually recycled and anoymised.

That gives the network a *massive* level of redundancy in terms of anonymity. Even if another "algo" (e.g. cryptonote or whatever) were twice as reliable as DRK's, the DRK process would still blow it away because of the massive redundancy it has.

Superb.

If everyone's wallet will now contain nothing but 100,50,25,10,5,1 etc. amounts all in randomly generated addresses, this is the problem well and truly fucking solved, timing analysis becomes impossible.

Want more anonymity than this? Start shopping for wigs and sunglasses. Wink

It's going to make rich-list bragging pretty hard though. The whole blockchain is going to look like homogenous heat death.

Ahahahaha, fucking brilliant.

chaeplin

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:08:07 PM

Kristov Atlas said DarkSend+ is Revolutionary Coinjoin Approch.
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:08:56 PM

The way I understand it, nothing is added to the blockchain between the green boxes. The masternodes never actually hold the funds, they just facilitate signing. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.  
This is correct the masternodes never actually hold the funds they just facilitate transactions.
Pardon me for playing Devil's Advocate: But, if the coins don't actually change hands, how does this obfuscate anything?
XC is coin-forwarding (coins go to the node). DRK's masternode simply signs transactions.
Please enlighten me further; elaborate.
When I want to send you money through a DarkSend, the masternode does not receive my coins and forward it to you. This would be a trusted technique in which the node would potentially steal the coin. What the masternode does is use my keys for signing the transaction. It's a middleman who never owns my coins.

In XC, for example, A sends the coins to node and then node sends coins to B.
Can't the difference between signing and sending be identified? Yes. How does this obfuscate anything? It doesn't matter, because we don't know who/where the coins came from (the sending addresses aren't associated with anyone). You still need IP obfuscation to avoid a node associating a TX with your IP.

This is rewinding the conversation a bit. No longer focusing on the mixing/denominating technique, but on the fundamental idea of whether or not anything is actually being obfuscated by MNs at all...
OK, I thought I was right about that, but the announcement sounded almost like it was sying "this fixes everything" and it's really just a very large step int eh right direction with what I count as 5 small loose ends to be tied up yet.

To me, what you're suggesting (requesting?) basically requires zerocoin/cash-type opaqueness; it goes beyond simple anonymity. In the new DRK, the blockchain is still very transparent, there's just *hopefully* no useful information to be gleaned from it.

IP obfuscation is a separate and still very real vector that needs addressing.
sharkbyte093

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:09:01 PM

I think timing becomes less of an issue because of the (relatively) long mixing process. Beyond that, I'm not quite sure what you're asking? "Normal" TXs will always be identifiable as such; this is by design and definition. It's just the senders' addresses aren't associated with anyone or anything. IP obfuscation should still be needed, though.

Ah I see. Got hung up on the timing thing I see now how that point is moot. Thanks. Smiley

GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:12:36 PM

Kristov Atlas said DarkSend+ is Revolutionary Coinjoin Approch.

I don't believe you. Link ?  Grin

(oh shit, I just confronted El Presidente! I may be shot any second !!! )
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:13:53 PM

I don't believe you. Link ?

I think it's this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohiCNDT7W08
DarthMuffin

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:14:06 PM

Great to hear another update from the darkcoin team!

Development on RC4 is nearing an end and we expect that we’ll be firing up testnet in the coming week. Depending on what we find, testing and QA should take 2 to 4 weeks.

I'm all for taking the time needed to do it right, but, ugh.  Does that mean no RC4 in late July as originally planned, then?  Don't know how much more of this price slide I can stomach.
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:14:22 PM

I agree that this makes sense for an objective, BUT:

Do the wallet-sent TX stand out in that mist? I still think the client should denominate before it sends to a masternode. This might happen by default per the pre-mix. But, sends from wallets are still not sends from identified MNs, so it's something identifiably not mist going into the mist... Thus, it might be identified coming out. I'd like to see a denominated multi-point-exit to shore this up.

No !  Wink

That's the beauty of it - the transaction itself is now crystal clear which is what you want for verification, but the terminals are completely anonymous. He's separated completely the anonymising process from the transaction process which is a far more powerful configuration.

There's now no practical chance of ever tracing anything because the start and end points are effectively virgin each time. You don't need to ever worry about how "visible" the transaction is because the network precipitates your holdings into a fresh address before you even send them. That's why I said he's "moved the goalposts" because instead of the emphasis being on anonymising the transaction (which is the weak link in the chain) it's now the addresses that are continually recycled and anoymised.

That gives the network a *massive* level of redundancy in terms of anonymity. Even if another "algo" (e.g. cryptonote or whatever) were twice as reliable as DRK's, the DRK process would still blow it away because of the massive redundancy it has.

Superb.

If everyone's wallet will now contain nothing but 100,50,25,10,5,1 etc. amounts all in randomly generated addresses, this is the problem well and truly fucking solved, timing analysis becomes impossible.

Want more anonymity than this? Start shopping for wigs and sunglasses. Wink

It's going to make rich-list bragging pretty hard though. The whole blockchain is going to look like homogenous heat death.

Ahahahaha, fucking brilliant.

No one can force you to denominate your coins though, so the rich list can be alive and well if its participants want it to be so. Smiley (if anyone is thinking the client could always do it without your permission, it really can't; there's no way to enforce it, besides having the clients discard addresses holding non-homogeneous coins after a certain period, which seems a *bit* harsh)
camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 08:18:06 PM

There's now no practical chance of ever tracing anything because the start and end points are effectively virgin each time. You don't need to ever worry about how "visible" the transaction is because the network precipitates your holdings into a fresh address before you even send them.
I think this is the very thing I'm taking issue with... Being "virgin" is the very thing that creates the problem I see.

The quantity going in and out of the mix is still obvious. Maybe it can't be tied to me with IP obfuscation, but block timing will still give away too much info, and that is essentially the same problem BTC has that DRK is supposed to be solving.

If I'm wrong, help me understand.

The MNs might be a fog, but that actually makes it even more obvious when a non-denominated send goes in, and the 10 block cycle shows a denominated stack of exactly the same size coming back out in a single block. The variability of the mix depth doesn't really help, because it's all in at one block, all out at another. It could be 20 blocks. Or 1000. Doesn't make a difference.

I think timing becomes less of an issue because of the (relatively) long mixing process. Beyond that, I'm not quite sure what you're asking? "Normal" TXs will always be identifiable as such; this is by design and definition. It's just the senders' addresses aren't associated with anyone or anything. IP obfuscation should still be needed, though.
Ah I see. Got hung up on the timing thing I see now how that point is moot. Thanks. Smiley
It's still at issue. The clock isn't the timing that matters. It's block pattern. X goes into the fog, X comes out of the fog. Even with IP obfuscation, we still can follow X because it wasn't denominated the same way and occurred at an observable interval. It could take 3 weeks and it wouldn't matter. X went in, X came out, and it happened on 1 block for each. How far apart they are doesn't matter.

If X went in on 4 different blocks, and the MNs peeled it off a little at a time... What we really have is X, Y, and Z go in at different blocks, and come out at potentially even more points as B, C D, E, F and G, all on different block heights. Nothing adds up.

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
chaeplin

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:19:10 PM

Start 16:00 Grin

Maybe evolution ;(
ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:20:44 PM

Great to hear another update from the darkcoin team!

Development on RC4 is nearing an end and we expect that we’ll be firing up testnet in the coming week. Depending on what we find, testing and QA should take 2 to 4 weeks.

I'm all for taking the time needed to do it right, but, ugh.  Does that mean no RC4 in late July as originally planned, then?  Don't know how much more of this price slide I can stomach.

I'd expect end of august.
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:22:45 PM

The quantity going in and out of the mix is still obvious. Maybe it can't be tied to me with IP obfuscation, but block timing will still give away too much info

Do you mean that the nature of the transaction could be identified simply from the amount being transacted ?

rentahash

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:24:17 PM

Live, kristof atlas DARK NEWS talks about darkcoin etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohiCNDT7W08

Kristov said that he has already been having conversations with Evan regarding Darksend, and will review the code, but can't really do it full-time obviously, but he will perhaps set up a drk donation address so if people will donate he will be able to spend more time with it.

Donation or no donation it does not matter.
People can easily see that adding 8 MNs for a transaction gives easy/clean anonymity level.

When something is obvious and easy to understand, review should not take much of his time Smiley

GREAT WORK Evan and dev team!

Kyune

Activity: 287

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:26:35 PM

You're asking if a coin that is being built for anonymity can be easily traced?
I respectfully disagree with you, the final transaction the person to person transaction occurs directly so that you can see the coins leave your wallet directly to the recipient's address and you can see the address getting the coins in the blockchain. So you can verify any transaction between buyer and seller just like you do now, but you are using previously mixed and denominated coins so that it is really a fog for everyone else! It is just brilliant, basically ecash! Great for business applications and way better than Bitcoin for B2B.

Thanks for your responses.  I'm probably not conveying my concern very well.

I'm a big fan of Darkcoin's anonymity features and I agree with Minotaur26 that even after RC4, a blockchain explorer can still be used to confirm a specific payment took place.  My worry is that, if there is no way to shield certain coins in your wallet from automatic premixing, RC4 will actually go a step too far in removing the benefits of a public accounting ledger from the coin's features.  There are many common everyday uses of the blockchain explorer to prove to others the history of coins that you currently control, and these are sometimes quite useful in the real world.  Pre-RC4 (if I am not mistaken) these were all available to Darkcoin, since using Darksend was just an optional choice -- as an individual user you COULD mix your coins, but you didn't HAVE to.  

Thus, pre-RC4, Darkcoin let you keep certain coins entirely outside the mixing process, and you could use a blockchain explorer to, say, prove the date you mined or acquired your coins for tax purposes (e.g. U.S. long-term capital gains), or prove that you haven't moved or spent coins you are holding on behalf of someone else (e.g., escrow), or prove how coins sent to a donation address were spent (i.e., allow an audit).  My concern is that, if RC4 forces pre-mixing of all coins, these uses of the blockchain as an accounting ledger become harder, and the paths to Darkcoin adoption narrow.   I see this as a bad outcome -- while I want Darkcoin to be a form of anonymous ecash, I also want it to be able to function as a full-fledged cryptocurrency.  Perhaps your vision is different.

TLDR: Should background mixing be opt-out so Darkcoin can still function as a full-fledged cryptocurrency even while providing anonymous transactions?

BTC:  1K4VpdQXQhgmTmq68rbWhybvoRcyNHKyVP
camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 08:26:38 PM

The quantity going in and out of the mix is still obvious. Maybe it can't be tied to me with IP obfuscation, but block timing will still give away too much info
Do you mean that the nature of the transaction could be identified simply from the amount being transacted ?
I'm saying that the send can be correlated to the receive. The nature of it, who knows.

I'm saying that it's too much information. The blockchain is still transparent, and always should be. Information always adds up. Put as little correlative data out there as possible. The same script that correlates BTC could still correlate DRK.

It's less information, but it's still enough for a 3rd party to gather that A sent X to B.

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:28:05 PM

An outside observer will have no idea whatsoever of the amount being transacted, because ALL transactions will use denominated amounts. It's just one big sea of zero useful information.
camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 08:28:51 PM

An outside observer will have no idea whatsoever of the amount being transacted, because ALL transactions will use denominated amounts. It's just one big sea of zero useful information.
That doesn't appear to be true from where I am standing.

If I am standing in the wrong place, help me relocate.

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:30:04 PM

I'm saying that the send can be correlated to the receive. The nature of it, who knows.

I'm saying that it's too much information. The blockchain is still transparent, and always should be. Information always adds up. Put as little correlative data out there as possible. The same script that correlates BTC could still correlate DRK.

It's less information, but it's still enough for a 3rd party to gather that A sent X to B.
You won't be able to tell that the change addresses from which A sends belong to A. So you'll see that B received X coins, but there's no way to link A and B. When you open your wallet, your DRK will be sent ,in denominated amounts, to change addresses you control. Because there are a large number of coins involved, and the amounts are like, external observers won't be able to tie the change to your old address.
Pages: « 1 ... 2219 2220 2221 2222 2223 2224 2225 2226 2227 2228 2229 2230 2231 2232 2233 2234 2235 2236 2237 2238 2239 2240 2241 2242 2243 2244 2245 2246 2247 2248 2249 2250 2251 2252 2253 2254 2255 2256 2257 2258 2259 2260 2261 2262 2263 2264 2265 2266 2267 2268 [2269] 2270 2271 2272 2273 2274 2275 2276 2277 2278 2279 2280 2281 2282 2283 2284 2285 2286 2287 2288 2289 2290 2291 2292 2293 2294 2295 2296 2297 2298 2299 2300 2301 2302 2303 2304 2305 2306 2307 2308 2309 2310 2311 2312 2313 2314 2315 2316 2317 2318 2319 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: