Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:29:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2218 2219 2220 2221 2222 2223 2224 2225 2226 2227 2228 2229 2230 2231 2232 2233 2234 2235 2236 2237 2238 2239 2240 2241 2242 2243 2244 2245 2246 2247 2248 2249 2250 2251 2252 2253 2254 2255 2256 2257 2258 2259 2260 2261 2262 2263 2264 2265 2266 2267 [2268] 2269 2270 2271 2272 2273 2274 2275 2276 2277 2278 2279 2280 2281 2282 2283 2284 2285 2286 2287 2288 2289 2290 2291 2292 2293 2294 2295 2296 2297 2298 2299 2300 2301 2302 2303 2304 2305 2306 2307 2308 2309 2310 2311 2312 2313 2314 2315 2316 2317 2318 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722509 times)
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:32:26 PM

Closed source boo-hoo !!

Code Review

Kristov Atlas has agreed to be the first to review the Darksend code. Kristov will be evaluating anonymity and overall design of our technology and will report his findings publicly. We’ll be sending the code to him soon and we anticipate that we will hear back from Kristov by the end of the month.

What i love about Kristov is that he is a highly skeptical person by nature, but open-minded enough for pure objectivity.
 He's a brilliant observer and interpreter.

All the hallmarks of a great and thorough scientist.

I hope he can also provide some feedback for even greater levels of obfuscation / anonymity - if he finds areas of improvement Cool
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:33:35 PM

The way I understand it, nothing is added to the blockchain between the green boxes. The masternodes never actually hold the funds, they just facilitate signing. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.  
This is correct the masternodes never actually hold the funds they just facilitate transactions.
Pardon me for playing Devil's Advocate: But, if the coins don't actually change hands, how does this obfuscate anything?

XC is coin-forwarding (coins go to the node). DRK's masternode simply signs transactions.
camosoul

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 07:35:18 PM

The way I understand it, nothing is added to the blockchain between the green boxes. The masternodes never actually hold the funds, they just facilitate signing. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.  
This is correct the masternodes never actually hold the funds they just facilitate transactions.
Pardon me for playing Devil's Advocate: But, if the coins don't actually change hands, how does this obfuscate anything?
XC is coin-forwarding (coins go to the node). DRK's masternode simply signs transactions.
Please enlighten me further; elaborate.

.OROCOIN.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
sharkbyte093

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:39:28 PM

This is probably beyond the border of my understanding but what the hell.

I think what happens is that the masternode signs the transaction and passes it on to the next which signs it, and so on until it finally reaches its destination. So in essence there is a multi-signature chain which is utilized to facilitate a transaction between two addresses. So no one masternode could take the coins because of multiple signatures required, the node never actually has ownership of the coins.

AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:40:02 PM

When I want to send you money through a DarkSend, the masternode does not receive my coins and forward it to you. This would be a trusted technique in which the node would potentially steal the coin. What the masternode does is use my keys for signing the transaction. It's a middleman who never owns my coins.

In XC, for example, A sends the coins to node and then node sends coins to B.
KryptoFoo

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:41:21 PM

Development on RC4 is nearing an end and we expect that we’ll be firing up testnet in the coming week

Kristov Atlas has agreed to be the first to review the Darksend code. Kristov will be evaluating anonymity and overall design of our technology and will report his findings publicly. We’ll be sending the code to him soon and we anticipate that we will hear back from Kristov by the end of the month.

Couldn't have gotten a better person to review the darkcoin code - Kristov Atlas literally wrote the book on anonymous bitcoin. He knows his stuff and seems very fair and balanced.

http://anonymousbitcoinbook.com/
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:41:27 PM

instead of bickering over whats the best algo for making an individual transaction disappear, just turn the entire f*cking coin supply into mist !!!
<snip>
It looks like it's almost there to me... I'd start my explanation of why I say that by saying first, it looks like the mist moved from the client to the MNS, and the identifiable part moved from the MNs to the clients... Now, this is not 100% true because the clients are receiving pre-mixed. But quantities and timing are still potentially, sometimes identifiable. Noted, there is a percentage linked on a google docs spreadsheet. Probability it not absolutely. That's why it's called probability and not absolutely.
<snip>

Very good points. A good place to start with regards to the block cycle might be to assign it a random probabilty that stands to have it occur somewhere between every 5-15 blocks or so.

The ultimate goal is to seamlessly hide the person-to-person transactions among the general mixing so that one cannot discern the difference.

I know this probably won't be popular (speed-wise) but maybe a good approach would be for people to have the option to wait for the general mixing to send a transaction (built into the client)? It would certainly slow down transaction speed but if the transaction were synced with the general mixing it would be very difficult to track. It could be implemented in the form of a checkbox perhaps? Maybe call it DarkMist.

I think this is expected behavior and isn't able to be masked (whether a TX is a user/buyer-to-user/seller or a denomination TX). By definition, when you denominate, change addresses are each going to receive homogeneous inputs; when you spend these inputs, you're going to use multiple inputs you need to come up with the proper amount to send to the user/seller. It's always been expected that these inputs will be associated with each other.

So it's like:
Mixing TX: random amounts > homogeneous amounts
Sending TX: homogeneous amounts > random amounts

You will always be able to determine which is which when there's only a single receiver address (which has been discussed thousands of pages ago, and determined unfeasible to use more than one). It doesn't matter when the mixing occurs; the "normal" TXs will be clear regardless.
minerjav

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:46:01 PM

Impressive Team job.
My respects to DRK developers.
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:46:03 PM

Live, kristof atlas DARK NEWS talks about darkcoin etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohiCNDT7W08

Kristov said that he has already been having conversations with Evan regarding Darksend, and will review the code, but can't really do it full-time obviously, but he will perhaps set up a drk donation address so if people will donate he will be able to spend more time with it.
sharkbyte093

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:46:34 PM

instead of bickering over whats the best algo for making an individual transaction disappear, just turn the entire f*cking coin supply into mist !!!
<snip>
It looks like it's almost there to me... I'd start my explanation of why I say that by saying first, it looks like the mist moved from the client to the MNS, and the identifiable part moved from the MNs to the clients... Now, this is not 100% true because the clients are receiving pre-mixed. But quantities and timing are still potentially, sometimes identifiable. Noted, there is a percentage linked on a google docs spreadsheet. Probability it not absolutely. That's why it's called probability and not absolutely.
<snip>

Very good points. A good place to start with regards to the block cycle might be to assign it a random probabilty that stands to have it occur somewhere between every 5-15 blocks or so.

The ultimate goal is to seamlessly hide the person-to-person transactions among the general mixing so that one cannot discern the difference.

I know this probably won't be popular (speed-wise) but maybe a good approach would be for people to have the option to wait for the general mixing to send a transaction (built into the client)? It would certainly slow down transaction speed but if the transaction were synced with the general mixing it would be very difficult to track. It could be implemented in the form of a checkbox perhaps? Maybe call it DarkMist.

I think this is expected behavior and isn't able to be masked (whether a TX is a user/buyer-to-user/seller or a denomination TX). By definition, when you denominate, change addresses are each going to receive homogeneous inputs; when you spend these inputs, you're going to use multiple inputs you need to come up with the proper amount to send to the user/seller. It's always been expected that these inputs will be associated with each other.

So it's like:

You will always be able to determine which is which when there's only a single receiver address (which has been discussed thousands of pages ago, and determined unfeasible to use more than one). It doesn't matter when the mixing occurs; the "normal" TXs will be clear regardless.

OK, but with regards to tracking transactions via timing, would it not afford greater anonymity to have the transactions as temporally close as possible? Outliers stick out like a sore thumb.

Phillis

Activity: 404

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:46:46 PM

why did the mods delete all my posts? As a darkcoin supporter (and investor) i should be able to say "great news" for this type of an update, particularly when people are constantly trolling this thread.

But if you want it to be meaningful, this latest news is really great to hear, since the price has slid quite a bit over the last few weeks.
camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 07:50:30 PM

When I want to send you money through a DarkSend, the masternode does not receive my coins and forward it to you. This would be a trusted technique in which the node would potentially steal the coin. What the masternode does is use my keys for signing the transaction. It's a middleman who never owns my coins.

Can't the difference between signing and sending be identified? How does this obfuscate anything?

This is rewinding the conversation a bit. No longer focusing on the mixing/denominating technique, but on the fundamental idea of whether or not anything is actually being obfuscated by MNs at all...

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
luigi1111
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:52:25 PM

<snip>
<snip>

So it's like:

OK, but with regards to tracking transactions via timing, would it not afford greater anonymity to have the transactions as temporally close as possible? Outliers stick out like a sore thumb.

I think timing becomes less of an issue because of the (relatively) long mixing process. Beyond that, I'm not quite sure what you're asking? "Normal" TXs will always be identifiable as such; this is by design and definition. It's just the senders' addresses aren't associated with anyone or anything. IP obfuscation should still be needed, though.
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:53:20 PM

why did the mods delete all my posts? As a darkcoin supporter (and investor) i should be able to say "great news" for this type of an update, particularly when people are constantly trolling this thread.

But if you want it to be meaningful, this latest news is really great to hear, since the price has slid quite a bit over the last few weeks.

Hi Phillis,

i noticed some of my posts getting deleted by forum moderators as well, no idea why... as some of the same
posts by other people are still readable and have not been moderated.

I find this selective moderating highly disturbing.

qwizzie

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
luigi1111
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:55:13 PM

Can't the difference between signing and sending be identified? Yes. How does this obfuscate anything? It doesn't matter, because we don't know who/where the coins came from (the sending addresses aren't associated with anyone). You still need IP obfuscation to avoid a node associating a TX with your IP.

This is rewinding the conversation a bit. No longer focusing on the mixing/denominating technique, but on the fundamental idea of whether or not anything is actually being obfuscated by MNs at all...

camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 07:55:26 PM

<snip>
<snip>

So it's like:

I think timing becomes less of an issue because of the (relatively) long mixing process. Beyond that, I'm not quite sure what you're asking? "Normal" TXs will always be identifiable as such; this is by design and definition. It's just the senders' addresses aren't associated with anyone or anything. IP obfuscation should still be needed, though.
The 'timing' in the temporal sense is not being challenged. It will exist int he blockchain for all time, to be examined at leisure... By timing we mean the block patter of 10 cycles, mix depth always having an in and an out of same total volume... And if signing has any impact on hiding a send...

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
naxin

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:55:32 PM

Can't the difference between signing and sending be identified? How does this obfuscate anything?

I don't have time to explain the process in more detail now as I have a job interview in 30 minutes, so hopefully someone else can, but I will say this: It does obfuscate things and the fundamental idea is solid!
camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 07:58:10 PM

Hi Phillis,

i noticed some of my posts getting deleted by forum moderators as well, no idea why... as some of the same

qwizzie
I've had posts as simple as "Good job!" get deleted by mods... Yet my deliberately offensive rants and cussing remains... It's like the mods are on crack or pushing an agenda maybe? Not sure... IT seems more random than agenda-driven... But maybe they're just mixing in white noise to hide the agenda... It's purely speculative to draw a conclusion.

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:58:34 PM

I agree that this makes sense for an objective, BUT:

Do the wallet-sent TX stand out in that mist? I still think the client should denominate before it sends to a masternode. This might happen by default per the pre-mix. But, sends from wallets are still not sends from identified MNs, so it's something identifiably not mist going into the mist... Thus, it might be identified coming out. I'd like to see a denominated multi-point-exit to shore this up.

No !  Wink

That's the beauty of it - the transaction itself is now crystal clear which is what you want for verification, but the terminals are completely anonymous. He's separated completely the anonymising process from the transaction process which is a far more powerful configuration.

There's now no practical chance of ever tracing anything because the start and end points are effectively virgin each time. You don't need to ever worry about how "visible" the transaction is because the network precipitates your holdings into a fresh address before you even send them. That's why I said he's "moved the goalposts" because instead of the emphasis being on anonymising the transaction (which is the weak link in the chain) it's now the addresses that are continually recycled and anoymised.

That gives the network a *massive* level of redundancy in terms of anonymity. Even if another "algo" (e.g. cryptonote or whatever) were twice as reliable as DRK's, the DRK process would still blow it away because of the massive redundancy it has.

Superb.
thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:58:54 PM

Hi Phillis,

qwizzie

If I report a post by another user, at least one of my own gets deleted... and the reported post might or might not.

Basically the bitcointalk mods are dickheads.
Pages: « 1 ... 2218 2219 2220 2221 2222 2223 2224 2225 2226 2227 2228 2229 2230 2231 2232 2233 2234 2235 2236 2237 2238 2239 2240 2241 2242 2243 2244 2245 2246 2247 2248 2249 2250 2251 2252 2253 2254 2255 2256 2257 2258 2259 2260 2261 2262 2263 2264 2265 2266 2267 [2268] 2269 2270 2271 2272 2273 2274 2275 2276 2277 2278 2279 2280 2281 2282 2283 2284 2285 2286 2287 2288 2289 2290 2291 2292 2293 2294 2295 2296 2297 2298 2299 2300 2301 2302 2303 2304 2305 2306 2307 2308 2309 2310 2311 2312 2313 2314 2315 2316 2317 2318 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: