Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 03:55:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 ... 484 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [NEM] NEM -New Economy Movement - No Envy Movement - Updates+Discussion thread  (Read 661421 times)
utopianfuture (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 268

Internet of Value

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:11:53 PM
Last edit: March 02, 2014, 08:28:34 PM by utopianfuture

You seem to be the next person following Mr. 2Kool2skew trying to sabotage NEM fundraising with this kind of 80% socket bullshit. It is well established that there are at least 1500 unique accounts in NEM stakeholder list.

I have never seen 1500 unique users number before, but if that is true, good.

I am not trying  to "sabotage" Nem.

For god's sake stop being so sensitive and thin skinned. I was posting some suggestions.

Fine.  I will stop posting to this thread from now.

See you at launch as I am stakeholder

Bye

Suggestions are good  but that is different from pushing for an agenda. You have to check the fact before you are saying something like 80% sockpuppet which obviously associates with an agenda otherwise you are just so stupid for saying so without checking. Don't make up the number on the go to support your argument. Any NEM supporter knows about the published NEM stakeholder population statistics which makes your claim ridiculous.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
█████████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  TomoChain  •    •  TomoChain 
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
chanc3r

Activity: 952
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:12:06 PM

We are not talking about bitcoin like mining that is used to secure network for ever. We are talking about 2 month mining period that  is used to distribute coins to mining community outside of stakeholders and people who read this forum. Mining period will end and Nem will be 100% POS like Nxt.

I know you are not talking about mining to secure the coin... I'm flatly against 'mining' as a complete waste of everyones time and I don't think it ensures more fairness/equality than what NEM leadership are currently doing because all miners are not equal..

NEM has a large number of stakeholders and not all of them will hold onto everything otherwise the coin will go nowhere so the stakeholders need to put NEM to work and that will increase its distribution.

I like the Computing for Good / World Computing Grid initiative and its an interesting alternative to a faucet, i.e. instead of begging for some coins to get you started you have to do something for good, if the community picks this idea  up thats good, if not thats fine too.

Even my laptop donates 20% of its CPU now....

Schwarzalbert

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:36:40 PM

We are not talking about bitcoin like mining that is used to secure network for ever. We are talking about 2 month mining period that  is used to distribute coins to mining community outside of stakeholders and people who read this forum. Mining period will end and Nem will be 100% POS like Nxt.

I know you are not talking about mining to secure the coin... I'm flatly against 'mining' as a complete waste of everyones time and I don't think it ensures more fairness/equality than what NEM leadership are currently doing because all miners are not equal..

NEM has a large number of stakeholders and not all of them will hold onto everything otherwise the coin will go nowhere so the stakeholders need to put NEM to work and that will increase its distribution.

I like the Computing for Good / World Computing Grid initiative and its an interesting alternative to a faucet, i.e. instead of begging for some coins to get you started you have to do something for good, if the community picks this idea  up thats good, if not thats fine too.

Even my laptop donates 20% of its CPU now....

+1 !!

Doing something for good instead of begging is a great possibility to attract new members.
Nevertheless I don't think we should abstain completely from faucet.
Its a good and low cost way for publicity and we should use any kind of publicity.

gwinevere

Activity: 364

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 08:52:06 PM

I think POS better than POW.

PoW is bad for the environment and as soon as you launch even if its asic resistant the botnets move in and rape mine until the difficulty rises so mere mortals with home computers and laptops lose out.

If you want to do something good for the world - copy what ripple has done which I think it quite smart - put part of NEM 10,20,25% I don't know up for World Computer Grid stuff over a period of time e.g. 6-12 months.

People download the computer grid stuff, join team NEM and let the research projects around the world use their PCs for research computations that benefit us all. We read the team stats (which they can't fake) off the computing grid team stats page and award NEM every 24hrs as a result.

Its much more in line with the sense I have of the 'New Economic Movement'. My desktop at home is earning ripple when I'm not using it, has been since december, probably makes 60 xrp a day - I'm not covering the electric costs probably or making huge money and for the Ripple alone I wouldn't do it but I like the idea of helping the research projects too i.e. doing something good with the spare PC capacity.

You could market it as well ....

And because there isn't a 'pure' profit you don't get the botnets and the other professional miners moving in with their high end kit.

It has been discussed elsewhere but it is important t to mention here again. PoW has a big problem when mining power is concentrated. With a 51% of mining power, you can really control the currency (you can authorize or not transactions); thus, you trasnform a descentralized system into a complete centralized one. Actually, the investment required to control 51% mining power of Bitcoin is about 5% of the current market capitalization of Bitcoin; which for a company or a government is quite cheap.
PoS solves that problem. To control the currency, you will need to buy 51% of the total amount of coins released for that currency; which is obviously very very difficult to obtain The problem of PoS is its unfair distribution and the bad incentive to exchange money. So, I/m very curious to read/known more details about NEM's implementation. If the Proof of Importance succeed, that will be a major hit of this coin

Exactly. Proof of Importance is NEM's best feature. PoI is what will set NEM apart from all other coins.
Nacionalito

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 09:04:38 PM

Exactly. Proof of Importance is NEM's best feature. PoI is what will set NEM apart from all other coins.

I'm sorry if I missed it but is there a link somewhere to how PoI works?  Is this actually a fully developed working thing, or just an idea at this point?  How is "hybrid PoS/PoI" different from NXT proof of stake?
Lucozade35

Activity: 46

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 09:09:41 PM

I'm sorry if I missed it but is there a link somewhere to how PoI works?  Is this actually a fully developed working thing, or just an idea at this point?  How is "hybrid PoS/PoI" different from NXT proof of stake?
I was confused about this as well. i do recall reading something about it, did you happen to read about it on this forum if so could you explain it in English to me please
gwinevere

Activity: 364

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 09:12:52 PM

I was confused about this as well. i do recall reading something about it, did you happen to read about it on this forum if so could you explain it in English to me please

It's in the NEM Development Plan.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NhxTyi4Eo2D_1m1Ca8zvzQr0_RB0dgM2VuWXAIzcS-I/edit?pli=1
chanc3r

Activity: 952
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 09:20:15 PM

I've read about it in the development plan, there is a few lines of description that is all, it is unclear how it will work or what behaviour it will drive. I await a more formal specification and formal review of the algorithm, like all good ideas there are intended consequences and unintended consequences...

If implemented as described, it will 'set NEM apart' but whether this is in a good way or not will be how the implementation is judged when it is seen out in the community - there is a lot of stealing of ideas so I'm not surprised there is little detail posted in order to prevent this - we will have to trust in the 'devs' and see what they finally decide on.

Nacionalito

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 09:29:17 PM

I've read about it in the development plan, there is a few lines of description that is all, it is unclear how it will work or what behaviour it will drive. I await a more formal specification and formal review of the algorithm, like all good ideas there are intended consequences and unintended consequences...

If implemented as described, it will 'set NEM apart' but whether this is in a good way or not will be how the implementation is judged when it is seen out in the community - there is a lot of stealing of ideas so I'm not surprised there is little detail posted in order to prevent this - we will have to trust in the 'devs' and see what they finally decide on.

Yea, I agree, at this point it is about believing in the dev team.  It looks like devs are planning on putting in about 10-20hrs a week at the moment.  I hope this might change, especially if/when things start to take off.  I think these days you need to have a plan for ongoing, aggressive development.  You can't just release a coin and be done with it.
Lucozade35

Activity: 46

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 10:10:23 PM

Yea, I agree, at this point it is about believing in the dev team.  It looks like devs are planning on putting in about 10-20hrs a week at the moment.  I hope this might change, especially if/when things start to take off.  I think these days you need to have a plan for ongoing, aggressive development.  You can't just release a coin and be done with it.
I agree we need constant development and a path forward, The community has mass and talent within. Active participation will enhance NEM > The launch is just the beginning.
crackerhead

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

My Head is a Ritz

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 10:20:02 PM

It is my understanding that the devs are currently testing POI, and they aren't posting specifications on how it will work, because they are well, still testing it out.

NEM.io         blog.NEM.io        r/ourNEM
syjrmswx

Activity: 29

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 11:21:47 PM

+1
nakauchi

Activity: 29

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:06:17 AM

Hey. Have a big problem. I'm not on the stakeholder list. But I paid 500 nxt  on 7th February.  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=440185.msg5001870#msg5001870

Pls have a look. I dont know where I can find the transaction ID for NXT. Can anyone say how to find it?

I thought every payment would be checked by the admins. But it doesnt seem so..
Sanglotslongs

Activity: 448
Merit: 280

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:31:57 AM

How we can be a stakeholder ?
makoto1337
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

I am not Dorian Nakamoto.

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 12:47:47 AM

What do you guys think of the spike Auroracoin has had. I knew I should have mined it when it came out.

It's big because of the potential promotion, by giving half of all coins to everyone in Iceland. We have to think of something that can make Nem this big so early on. The 3,000 stakeholders helps and puts us at a better position than most coins, but we need something even bigger. Something that will make the cryptomedia talk about us the same they're doing with Auroracoin.

Me too, but my wallet would not sync so I gave up Angry. I think its a bubble just like the earlier vertcoin spike. What do you think people of Iceland would do with the coins they receive, they cant spend it on any goods. Most people will not even use it thinking its a gimmick and those who do will sell it for Bitcoin to actually buy stuff.

I would not buy it now, price is way too high ( But what do I know). I guess we can declare NEM the crypto currency of Zimbabwe  Grin and hope Robert Mugabe does not execute poor UP and dev team  Grin

I hadn't heard of Auroracoin until I saw it listed near the top of coinmarketcap last night with a ? next to it.  At that time is was at around $8, which at the time I thought was overpriced, but now it's almost $20.  

It's even on BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26083733

With that kind of coverage, it's bound to get a lot of interest.  We need something similar for NEM to raise awareness, something that would grab the headlines.

We could help Ukraine because of the protests by giving people NEM or something.

We could sell vodka on the asset exchange.

I think UP has some ideas on how to make NEM a big media hit.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓
                           ▄████████████████████████████████▄
                       ▄████████████████████████████████████████▄
                    ▌███████████████████████████████████████████████╒
                 ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
               ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
             ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
          ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████                                                ███████████▄
       ╒████████████                                                ▀███████████▄
       █████████████                                                ▀████████████▄
      ███████████████████████████████████      ███████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████▄
    ▄███████████████╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╙       ╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧████████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████╝       ████████████████████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████████████          ███████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████▀            ▀█████████████████████████████████
    ▐███████████████████████████████       ▄▄       ███████████████████████████████▌
     █████████████████████████████▀       ████       ▀█████████████████████████████
     ╘███████████████████████████       ▄██████▄       ███████████████████████████▌
      ▀████████████████████████▀       ██████████       ▀█████████████████████████
       ▀██████████████████████╛      ╔████████████▄       ███████████████████████
        █████████████████████       ████████████████       ▀████████████████████
         ▀█████████████████╚      ╓██████████████████▄       █████████████████▀
           ██████████████▀       ▓█████████████████████       ▀██████████████╝
            ▀███████████╩       ████████████████████████▄       ███████████▀
              ▀████████       ▓███████████████████████████       ▀████████
                ▀████▐       ██████████████████████████████▄       ████▀
                  ╙▀       ▄█████████████████████████████████       ▀▐
                          ████████████████████████████████████▄
                         ▀████████████████████████████████████▀
                              ▀▀████████████████████████▀▀╛

Sora
| SoraTopia | SoraEconomy                                                    
/The Decentralized Autonomous Economy /
|
XOR
Jaguar0625

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 01:02:15 AM

It is my understanding that the devs are currently testing POI, and they aren't posting specifications on how it will work, because they are well, still testing it out.

Exactly

NEM - nem.io
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 01:45:14 AM

What do you guys think of the spike Auroracoin has had. I knew I should have mined it when it came out.

It's big because of the potential promotion, by giving half of all coins to everyone in Iceland. We have to think of something that can make Nem this big so early on. The 3,000 stakeholders helps and puts us at a better position than most coins, but we need something even bigger. Something that will make the cryptomedia talk about us the same they're doing with Auroracoin.

Me too, but my wallet would not sync so I gave up Angry. I think its a bubble just like the earlier vertcoin spike. What do you think people of Iceland would do with the coins they receive, they cant spend it on any goods. Most people will not even use it thinking its a gimmick and those who do will sell it for Bitcoin to actually buy stuff.

I would not buy it now, price is way too high ( But what do I know). I guess we can declare NEM the crypto currency of Zimbabwe  Grin and hope Robert Mugabe does not execute poor UP and dev team  Grin

I hadn't heard of Auroracoin until I saw it listed near the top of coinmarketcap last night with a ? next to it.  At that time is was at around $8, which at the time I thought was overpriced, but now it's almost $20.  

It's even on BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26083733

With that kind of coverage, it's bound to get a lot of interest.  We need something similar for NEM to raise awareness, something that would grab the headlines.

We could help Ukraine because of the protests by giving people NEM or something.

I like the sound of that, as Ukraine is quite a hot topic in the news now, and their economy is in trouble.  The IMF, ECB vultures are in the process of trying to "rescue" their economy with perpetual debt.  Then when they can't afford to pay it back, the EU etc will dictate how the country will be run, and plunder their resources, but I digress.  Yes, Ukraine is a good potential candidate.

I know people in Lviv, in western Ukraine. I stayed with them when I was there a few years ago and I definitely trust them. It would be nice if we could build some kind of community where people use NEM in their daily lives. That way, they would be immune even if there are bank runs or war.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓
    ▄███████████████╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╙       ╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧████████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████╝       ████████████████████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████████████          ███████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████▀            ▀█████████████████████████████████
    ▐███████████████████████████████       ▄▄       ███████████████████████████████▌

Sora
|
XOR
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 01:46:03 AM

Just an FYI - mtgox files for bankruptcy: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25233230

Unfortunately, this was how most Japanese first learned about bitcoin and crypto-currencies...

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 01:47:51 AM

Just thinking, approaching the Independence referendum and a 'yes vote'Scotland might need a New Currency if England wants to keep the pound all to itself. If that was the case Scotland is saying it wont pay its share of the Huge debt. Im dreaming of a nuclear free,no debt and renewable - energy rich Scotland using NEM.  Sigh!!!!

I was in Scotland for the first time last year for a conference. It would be great if they would adopt NEM as their new currency.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 01:51:07 AM

hope, that was just a (bad) joke.

Don't want to sound stiff, but what's happening in Ukraine
is far from funny, and I wouldn't joke from that.

I agree. First I didn't notice that the people were from Ukraine. It would be the best to not connect cryptos to any conflict in real life.

Ukraine is a perfect use-case for NEM: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-02/ukraine-capital-control-crunch-largest-bank-limits-cash-withdrawals-100-daily

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
Pages: « 1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 ... 484 »
  Print  

Jump to: