Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:11:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... 425 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] BTC Guild - Pays TxFees+NMC, Stratum, VarDiff, Private Servers  (Read 902902 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 01:47:05 AM

It's a MASSIVE benefit to pools.  Miners get only a bandwith reduction benefit, and the indirect benefit of pools being able to handle ANY amount of speed without choking on providing work.

1) Miner downstream utilization will be 600-1000 bytes per minute (in one single 600-1000 byte burst) for obtaining work.
2) A submission of a share will require ~22 bytes of data.  The response acknowledging it will be ~13 bytes (+ extra for a rejection reason if it was rejected).
3) If a pool is implementing the new protocol, it's likely they will add in dynamic difficulty adjustment to limit the share submissions per minute.

With BTC Guild, the dynamic difficulty will adjust to 5 seconds per share on average, which means your bandwith utilization would be ~5 bytes/second upstream and ~3 bytes/second downstream, with the 600-1000 byte downstream burst once per minute.  Other pools may be more or less aggressive on the work pushing.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 02:14:14 AM

It's a MASSIVE benefit to pools.  Miners get only a bandwith reduction benefit, and the indirect benefit of pools being able to handle ANY amount of speed without choking on providing work.

1) Miner downstream utilization will be 600-1000 bytes per minute (in one single 600-1000 byte burst) for obtaining work.
2) A submission of a share will require ~22 bytes of data.  The response acknowledging it will be ~13 bytes (+ extra for a rejection reason if it was rejected).
3) If a pool is implementing the new protocol, it's likely they will add in dynamic difficulty adjustment to limit the share submissions per minute.

With BTC Guild, the dynamic difficulty will adjust to 5 seconds per share on average, which means your bandwith utilization would be ~5 bytes/second upstream and ~3 bytes/second downstream, with the 600-1000 byte downstream burst once per minute.  Other pools may be more or less aggressive on the work pushing.

So the miner accepts <1kB data / min which it uses for block solving, and then sends back ~ 264 bytes / min (assuming one share every 5 seconds)? What is the improvement in size of data exchange / min - is it significiant or are the improvements comng from the reduction in share submission?

5 seconds per share on average means a variation in average hourly hashrate of ~ +/- 7.4% This is probably quite an acceptable variation for most miners, and much more practical than some that have been proposed (5 shares per hour, for example).

I'll be really interested to see how this works as it goes live. Maybe it'll be like the introduction of LP - a huge change that miners now take for granted.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 04:43:33 AM
Last edit: September 05, 2012, 04:57:05 AM by eleuthria

Sorry for lack of updates.  Yes the new protocol is still under way.  My partner has had some family emergencies in the last week which have pushed testing back a little.  I've been doing everything I can in the mean time, the only thing we're missing is an interpreter so old miners can use the new protocol, which is required to begin testing how well the new pool scales.  We -know- the protocol scales indefinitely, it's just a matter of whether or not my pool software will be causing bottlenecks.

Hoping to provide a new estimate for when testing will be ready tomorrow.  I am hoping this weekend, but it all depends on things that are outside of my control.

eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 12:48:53 AM

Update: My partner believes we will have something ready for testing internally this weekend.  If that occurs, I will likely be inviting people for closed testing on Monday.

eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 06:37:22 AM

Was noticing some errors occuring on one of the backend servers.  Source of the problem was a botnet (probably the one Inaba banned a while ago off Eclipse).  They've been banned, so the problems should be gone with them.

eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 07:19:54 PM
Last edit: September 10, 2012, 08:02:39 PM by eleuthria

I have made a post detailing the new protocol being proposed by myself with the help of ArtForz.  We expect a proxy to be ready shortly to allow miners to use the new system, and I will be contacting major mining software developers to get their input.

You can read about the new spec here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=108441.msg1178526#msg1178526

Any mining software developpers that are interested:  Please contact me either through the forums (PM or thread responses) or via IRC in #btcguild.  We've designed this protocol with the intention of keeping it straightforward to implement, and I will provide any help I can.

eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 03:31:32 AM

UPDATE ON NEW PROTOCOL
=====================
I was pushing to get this protocol deployed in September.  I spoke with slush about it months ago in PMs, but what he was describing as his solution at the time didn't sound like it would have the scalability of what I was working on.  Now that he has released his protocol as well, it's apparent that we both came up with the exact same solution to the problem.  The only material difference between the two proposals were data encapsulation and ordering.

Since slush has posted a proxy for old miner software to use, as well as an open source pool server (proof of concept quality, but it's a start), I will be taking down my proposal.  The two protocols are so similar that there just isn't a reason to compete for which one should be used, and his is in a stage that is easier for new developers to play with, due to having a python pool server available on github.

I will be adapting the new pool server I've been working on to support slush's syntax.  Luckily we made these so similar that it should take me just an hour or so to make most of the changes.  I'll likely be posting a working poold that works with slush's python proxy this weekend.

eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 08:27:49 PM

My new pool software is almost complete now that I've been reworking the communications to support the stratum protocol proposal from slush, instead of my own protocol.

When the new software is ready, there will be a notice on the BTC Guild website identifying how you can help test this new pool, including download links to the proxy slush has provided, and a special website to sign up on.  The trial period is expected to last about one week, and will be paying 100% PPS rates for the duration.  Payments for the trial pool will be processed every Sunday and Wednesday (around noon PDT) until testing has completed.

os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 12:09:25 PM

Does BTC Guild currently support rolltime?
Thanks,
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 02:36:41 PM

Does BTC Guild currently support rolltime?
Thanks,
Sam

The new stratum based pool supports ntime rolling (not that you'll need it).  I'm about to push the new pool server live with instructions on how to connect to the stratum based pool.  Essentially 0 bandwidth, no stales, no "not providing enough work".  Will be posting full update in the next 30 minutes hopefully, just setting up scripts so it will plug into the main frontend.

If you connect to the stratum pool via the local proxy, your miner will use ntime rolling and the stratum protocol.  It will also reduce your internet connection usage to ~10 KB/minute regardless of your mining farm size.  If you connect to it using a public work proxy (which I will be providing shortly), you will gain ntime rolling, but none of the other benefits of stratum-based mining.

eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 05:06:11 PM

BTC Guild - Stratum Pool Beta
The Stratum based pool for BTC Guild is now open for testing.  During testing, PPS rates will be paid at 100% (0 fee).  Payouts will be run on Wednesday and Sunday of each week during testing.  A "payout" from the Stratum beta will be moving your unpaid Stratum balance to your main account balance for withdrawal/automatic payout.

You can find full details on how to connect and downloads for the stratum-mining-proxy at https://www.btcguild.com/stratum_beta.php (or click the link at the top of the page).

Please report any bugs/crashes you may find.  When updating your miner settings to connect to your local stratum proxy, don't forget to include backup servers.  This is beta, so there will probably be a few brief restarts in the first few days.

BitMinerN8

Activity: 626
Merit: 500

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 06:01:31 PM

The Stratum based pool for BTC Guild is now open for testing.  During testing, PPS rates will be paid at 100% (0 fee).  Payouts will be run on Wednesday and Sunday of each week during testing.  A "payout" from the Stratum beta will be moving your unpaid Stratum balance to your main account balance for withdrawal/automatic payout.

You can find full details on how to connect and downloads for the stratum-mining-proxy at https://www.btcguild.com/stratum_beta.php (or click the link at the top of the page).

Please report any bugs/crashes you may find.  When updating your miner settings to connect to your local stratum proxy, don't forget to include backup servers.  This is beta, so there will probably be a few brief restarts in the first few days.

I threw 5 Ghash at it. So far so good.  Cool
monstrs

Activity: 555
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 07:52:37 PM

Can you please help to set it up?

I have downloaded stratum-proxy folder and executed bat file. But i cant see there any different ip than -o 198.154.98.196 -p 9332
Do i need to write in place of this http://mine2.btcguild.com:8332 something like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p 9332, there is no need of username too? But i cant see where i have to read that proxy ip adress Sad
BitMinerN8

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 08:01:12 PM

I have downloaded stratum-proxy folder and executed bat file. But i cant see there any different ip than -o 198.154.98.196 -p 9332
Do i need to write in place of this http://mine2.btcguild.com:8332 something like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p 9332, there is no need of username too? But i cant see where i have to read that proxy ip adress Sad

Just run the batch file that was included. Then on your current mining software change the URL to the IP address of the system running the proxy. Keep everything else the same. (port/account name/passwords/etc)
monstrs

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 08:03:38 PM

Just run the batch file that was included. Then on your current mining software change the URL to the IP address of the system running the proxy. Keep everything else the same. (port/account name/passwords/etc)

So i need to point miner to my actual system ip?
BitMinerN8

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 08:04:57 PM

If that is where the proxy is running, yes. If you have more mining rigs, point them to that IP as well.
monstrs

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 08:08:11 PM

If that is where the proxy is running, yes. If you have more mining rigs, point them to that IP as well.

Thanks, this is working nice  Wink  Will report if there any bug, problem with it, and how it goes.
Joshwaa

Activity: 497

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 09:13:11 PM

Seems like I am getting 3.5% Dupe shares on stratum? Any ideas?

Like what I said : 1JosHWaA2GywdZo9pmGLNJ5XSt8j7nzNiF
Don't like what I said : 1FuckU1u89U9nBKQu4rCHz16uF4RhpSTV
BitMinerN8

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 09:18:35 PM

Seems like I am getting 3.5% Dupe shares on stratum? Any ideas?

Yeah I'm seeing some issues like that too. Some stats after 3.5 hours:
Speed 5,072.51 MH/s - Accepted 14109 (99.19%) - 15 Stale / 99 Dupe
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 09:21:48 PM

I'm looking into the dupe "issue".  Right now I have a feeling it's cgminer pushing shares twice for some reason.  I've noticed in earlier versions, cgminer sometimes had problems when things happened too fast (like saying "pool not providing work fast enough" when connecting to a pool with a <10ms latency).

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... 425 »
  Print  

Jump to: