Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 11:16:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... 425 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] BTC Guild - Pays TxFees+NMC, Stratum, VarDiff, Private Servers  (Read 902898 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 06:25:08 PM

Thanks! All great info. I just want to make sure I'm ready for the ASIC's and have the "farm to pool" configured for optimal settings.  Cool

ASICs will probably end up like current BFL chips, where one PC can control many ASICs.  In that case, a single cgminer instance should work great.  If you're using multiple PCs as controllers, or want to use other mining software, then slush's python proxy is probably the best bet.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1622

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 10:30:27 PM

I am curious about the use of different difficulties.

Once switched to Stratum my utility numbers in cgminer have dropped quite a bit.

THe "U" variable SHOULD drop under Stratum.  The U number is purely:  Work submitted per minute.  Since the difficulty is scaled to approximately one work unit per 4-6 seconds, you should see U floating between 10 and 15 on Stratum.  Even less if you're using the proxy (in the case of the proxy, your U would be equal to 10-15 if you combined all of your hardware).  This is not the case if the proxy is not being run with -rt (real-target), in which case the proxy doesn't give your cgminer the full difficulty, and instead hides the fact that lowdifficulty shares are never being sent to the pool.
Indeed and that is why there is another metric in cgminer now "WU" which is work utility which is the amount of diff1 shares you would have created per minute. This value should not have dropped.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 04:32:04 AM
Last edit: October 09, 2012, 04:55:42 AM by eleuthria

One of the 3 Chicago servers was restarted earlier to add a Stratum pool to the Chicago DC.  The Stratum pool in Chicago will become the default pool, since our Chicago connection is significantly higher quality than the one in Dallas TX.  Chicago has had only 1 minute of downtime in 2012 which may have been outside of my switch in the DC, but I was never able to confirm due to the shortness of the outage.  Tomorrow I will be restarting the other two Chicago servers to add the proper Stratum redirection.  This should only be a minute or two of downtime at most, and will only affect people that have not yet moved to Stratum servers.

Dallas has occasional packet loss issues with the Level 3 handoff.  I will be leaving the Dallas server online, so anybody already connected there doesn't need to worry.  It just won't be the "default" Stratum pool any longer.

UPDATE:  Restart happened early.  Each server was restarted and allowed to recover before the next was taken down, so if you used multiple BTC Guild servers as backups, you should have not experienced any significant downtime.

allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 06:16:05 AM
Last edit: October 09, 2012, 06:29:11 AM by allinvain

What is up with this: "Share 66c3c28a (difficulty 3.46254) didn't meet difficulty 4.00000"

Update: Hmm..definitely an issue with your pool. This does not happen on Slush's pool for example.

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1622

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 06:42:24 AM

What is up with this: "Share 66c3c28a (difficulty 3.46254) didn't meet difficulty 4.00000"

Update: Hmm..definitely an issue with your pool. This does not happen on Slush's pool for example.

It's only an issue because you are mining on btcguild because it supports higher difficulty targets, but it is not btcguild's fault. This looks more like a problem with your mining software not respecting the difficulty target request.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 06:52:55 AM

hmm, actually it appears that upgrading to a newer version of the stratum mining proxy software has fixed the issue.

So not a mining software limitation.

So, a note to all of you who are using stratum make sure you use 0.9.0 or newer.

eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 11:26:20 AM

hmm, actually it appears that upgrading to a newer version of the stratum mining proxy software has fixed the issue.

So, a note to all of you who are using stratum make sure you use 0.9.0 or newer.

Fortunately, the error you posted was actually not a bad thing.  You were not losing any work.  If that came from your miner, the miner was simply alerting you that you found a share, but it didn't match difficulty (this isn't "lost" work or anything like that).  If it was the proxy, it means the proxy was hiding real difficulty from the miner, and was not bothering to submit the lowdiff share to the pool.

You will always find shares under the target.  That's how difficulty adjustments work.  Proper miners will simply not submit shares that don't meet the target, and won't bother to put any notice that it occurred. 

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 02:20:38 PM

Fortunately, the error you posted was actually not a bad thing.  You were not losing any work.  If that came from your miner, the miner was simply alerting you that you found a share, but it didn't match difficulty (this isn't "lost" work or anything like that).  If it was the proxy, it means the proxy was hiding real difficulty from the miner, and was not bothering to submit the lowdiff share to the pool.

You will always find shares under the target.  That's how difficulty adjustments work.  Proper miners will simply not submit shares that don't meet the target, and won't bother to put any notice that it occurred. 

Well I've never had that issue before so that's why I was surprised to see it. If it happened before the mining software did not report it. I'm using MPBM by the way. Not sure if this is a "proper miner" in your eyes or not.

os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3577
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 05:03:30 PM

Is there any chance that amount of BTCs required for payout becomes 0.01 or so? For miners using very minimal setups,
0.1 BTC is few weeks of hashing. It's too long waiting to have sufficient amount of BTCs to start using many services.
You could check user hashing speed and scale down payout amount based on that, for those hashing at > 100 Mhash/s.

Another thing - it would be cool if user is informed somewhere if he is using Stratum or not.

The Payout Button doesn't work?

Your miner doesn't tell you your using stratum?

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 07:37:52 PM

Payout minimum is 0.1 BTC and all I earned is 0.03233661, after almost 9 days of mining. GUIMiner does not show if Stratum is used.

Consider this as noob miner feedback. Bitcoin is massive, it's like detonating 1TB data bomb on unsuspecting person. Knowing about
Stratum is nice, but leaving noob miner thinking if he's using it or not is yet another question unanswered, with 1000+ more on hold.

You are not on Stratum unless you use the proxy, or a native supporting client.  The only clients with native support are poclbm and cgminer at this time.

The payout minimum will not be lowered any time soon.  If it does, there will be a fee attached to requesting such a small payout, because I will not be the one paying the transaction fee in order to send somebody a payout that is worth less than $1.

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 08:53:44 PM

Payout minimum is 0.1 BTC and all I earned is 0.03233661, after almost 9 days of mining. GUIMiner does not show if Stratum is used.

Consider this as noob miner feedback. Bitcoin is massive, it's like detonating 1TB data bomb on unsuspecting person. Knowing about
Stratum is nice, but leaving noob miner thinking if he's using it or not is yet another question unanswered, with 1000+ more on hold.
The payout minimum will not be lowered any time soon.  If it does, there will be a fee attached to requesting such a small payout, because I will not be the one paying the transaction fee in order to send somebody a payout that is worth less than $1.

I didn't know there was a limit to manual payout too.

BitMinerN8

Activity: 626
Merit: 500

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 09:31:59 PM

You are not on Stratum unless you use the proxy, or a native supporting client.  The only clients with native support are poclbm and cgminer at this time.

The payout minimum will not be lowered any time soon.  If it does, there will be a fee attached to requesting such a small payout, because I will not be the one paying the transaction fee in order to send somebody a payout that is worth less than $1.

The more you, people that can actualy do something to make 1st steps with Bitcoin easier, favour elitism, the less friendly Bitcoin will be.
From your perspective, it might seem almost all is fine as is. From my perspective, amount of things that should be adjusted is massive.
Notice that I represent 99% of population of this planet, people supposed to start using Bitcoin (possibly right now), and that makes me right.  Cool

List somewhere on "MyAccount" that Stratum is or not used. Add fees to small payouts. Trust me, no one like me will complain, but love it!

Thanks in advance!

If you want to know if you are utilizing Stratum protocol, I would recommend that you either use the Stratum Proxy (https://github.com/slush0/stratum-mining-proxy) or get current mining software like cgminer, as it's in there. (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.0) GUIminer has not been updated since February. Also, if you were mining for 9 days and only have .03 to show for it, I would recommend that the money you are spending on electricity go towards purchasing bitcoins directly as it's only going to get worse for you with respect to yield. (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Difficulty) Just trying to help you out.
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 11:05:27 PM

If you want to know if you are utilizing Stratum protocol, I would recommend that you either use the Stratum Proxy (https://github.com/slush0/stratum-mining-proxy) or get current mining software like cgminer, as it's in there. (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.0) GUIminer has not been updated since February. Also, if you were mining for 9 days and only have .03 to show for it, I would recommend that the money you are spending on electricity go towards purchasing bitcoins directly as it's only going to get worse for you with respect to yield. (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Difficulty) Just trying to help you out.

I know that I'm using Stratum and I know that buying BTCs would be (sligthly) cheaper for me than mining with GPU.

It's not me who needs help. It's millions of potential Bitcoin users who are not using computers for 25+ years like I am.
It's 5 people I recently introduced to Bitcoin, who gave up the same day, after they've faced both the amount of info
and the way info is presented.

You people are clearly missing the perspective and overestimate knowledge and skills of majority of people out there.

Mining is not aimed at computer illiterate people.  You do not need to mine to begin using Bitcoins, and it is not even encouraged that new people are pushed into mining.  They simply won't understand what mining is or what it does, and why running a program on their computer is generating free money (because those same people won't even begin to look at their rising utility bills).

I don't publish if you're on Stratum or not because there is no way to tell.  You can be on both at the same time.  Eventually everybody will be on Stratum as the support is rolled into more native mining software.  But only extremely invested miners (large farms/ASICs) even need to worry about it.  Those are the kinds of people that already know if they're on Stratum or not.

BitMinerN8

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 11:09:53 PM

It's not me who needs help. It's millions of potential Bitcoin users who are not using computers for 25+ years like I am.
It's 5 people I recently introduced to Bitcoin, who gave up the same day, after they've faced both the amount of info
and the way info is presented.

You people are clearly missing the perspective and overestimate knowledge and skills of majority of people out there.

You sir are clearly missing the perspective of using bitcoins vs. mining for bitcoins. These "people" your are talking about, maybe they should not be mining, maybe they should be "using" bitcoins. Have them start here: http://www.weusecoins.com
BitMinerN8

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 12:12:29 AM

Mining is not aimed at computer illiterate people.

That will have to change - the sooner, the better. Unless every Bitcoin user is solo miner as well, Bitcoin attempts to dodge govs will fail.

No it won't, it will be financially unobtainable for the 99% you speak of unless they are willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars. In a month or so you will be either A) Using bitcoins i.e. Buy/Sell/Trade them or B) a hard core miner who has already made that investment.

Please read up on ASICs and you will understand why CPU/GPU/FPGA mining will soon be obsolete. We are here doing the heavy lifting so they don't have to. No need to get their hands dirty, or hours reading and tinkering. They can just "use the system" with the coins we have pumped into it.
BitMinerN8

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 12:22:14 AM

With people like you being the engine of Bitcoin, it's going nowehere. Yet another wonderful idea ruined by bunch of idiots.

Yeah another troll spouting his words of wisdom for the rest of us, you're just making yourself look like the idiot. Go buy a clue asshat.
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2012, 12:35:48 AM

With people like you being the engine of Bitcoin, it's going nowehere. Yet another wonderful idea ruined by bunch of idiots.
with respect 99.9% of the worlds population uses fiat money without ever being involved in production, transport or verification of transactions of that money in fact most don't even think about all that - as long as it works. This restricts no-one from using fiat money.

Bitcoin mining is changing a *lot* over the next few months from dedicated Bitcoin only hardware to the halving of the block reward.
GPU will be much less profitable - how many of your 99% will be purchasing single use dedicated hardware to Bitcoin mine on? If they do they should be looking t the AVALON ASIC, apparently that will be power cable and network cable and it will mine with minimal setup required.

Bitcoin "mining" and verification will continue fine - and no I am not trying to grab all the mining for myself - if there was only 1 miner on the planet Bitcoin is dead - the distributed trust model is gone and it is centralised (something it was designed not to be and something I am not interested in).

Please if you are going to discuss this keep it to reality "happens to Bitcoin if death squads come and just eliminate most of top miners" I am not sure what country you live in but that is very unlikely to happen in mine...

and really your "normal people " should not be beta testing any software let alone a digital cryptocurrency.

Bitcoin mining is open to anyone that wants to learn and try - not everyone is willing to learn or try, this is not the fault of the community or Bitcoin.

Abusing people for reponding does not strengthen your case
peace
Graet

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2012, 12:51:36 AM

with respect 99.9% of the worlds population uses fiat money without ever being involved in production, transport or verification of transactions of that money in fact most don't even think about all that - as long as it works.

Problme here is of different nature.
no at all
Bitcoin is free - those that choose to learn and invest can be involved in Bitcoin mining
Those that choose not to can just use Bitcoin as a currency
There is more choice here than in the fiat systems - try joining in and printing your national currency - it wont work , most countries call it counterfeiting.
Graet

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 02:59:33 AM

Does the pool no longer automatically redirect you to the stratum servers?  CG Miner 2.8.1 says it's using LP.

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 11:49:35 AM

Does the pool no longer automatically redirect you to the stratum servers?  CG Miner 2.8.1 says it's using LP.

OK, I see that stratum is using a new port and a different IP address now.  Is there a DNS name that that IP address resolves to?  Also are you going to use a different port and host/IP for each server location?  Are these going to be changing often?
Thanks,
Sam

Pages: « 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... 425 »
  Print  

Jump to: