Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 11:10:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Ethnic cleansing of Russian speaking by Kiev forces is the main cause of clashes in Donbass area.
True. - 54 (51.4%)
This is Khasarian Kaganat and Russians must be killed or must be sclaves. - 29 (27.6%)
What is Donbass? - 5 (4.8%)
Where is Kiev? - 4 (3.8%)
My TV show only Israeli clashes. - 13 (12.4%)
Total Voters: 105

Pages: « 1 ... 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 [368] 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Donetsk, Kharkov, Lugansk - way to Russia.  (Read 734778 times)
galdur

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 08:36:38 AM
Last edit: June 20, 2015, 08:49:15 AM by galdur

Nord Stream Pipeline to be Doubled

The Austrian oil company OMW has signed a memorandum of understanding that it wants to participate in the construction of two further legs of the existing Nord Stream pipeline Viborg-Greifswald. Additional partners: Royal-Dutch Shell, E-ON and Gazprom (51%).

Extra capacity: 55 billion m3/year.

Vassal needs permission from the Americans of course.

galdur

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 08:44:28 AM

Speaking of vassals...

How Italy Is Quietly Trying To Break Russia's Isolation

Italian PM Matteo Renzi has obtained Washington's blessing to pursue its own dialogue with the Kremlin. Could Rome be the bridge to resolving the Ukraine crisis?

ROME — The warm welcome that Russian President Vladimir Putin received on his recent visit to Italy did not come out of the blue. It is a direct result of a shift in Italy’s foreign policy that began to take shape two months ago when Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi met with President Barack Obama at the White House.

It was April 17th, and the two world leaders were in the Oval Office discussing Italy’s position on the Western sanctions on Russia linked to the crisis in Ukraine. ... more

http://www.worldcrunch.com/world-affairs/how-italy-is-quietly-trying-to-break-russia-amp-39-s-isolation/obama-putin-renzi-italy-russia/c1s19048/#.VYUnIPntmko

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 09:31:42 AM

The Austrian oil company OMW has signed a memorandum of understanding that it wants to participate in the construction of two further legs of the existing Nord Stream pipeline Viborg-Greifswald. Additional partners: Royal-Dutch Shell, E-ON and Gazprom (51%).

I don't think that this will go ahead, as the European Union will refuse permission. Even the existing Nord Stream pipeline is operating at 50% capacity, due to the restrictions imposed by the EU. First they should remove these restrictions, making it possible for Gazprom to utilize the pipeline at full capacity, rather than building new pipelines.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2015, 09:52:02 AM

I don't think that this will go ahead, as the European Union will refuse permission. Even the existing Nord Stream pipeline is operating at 50% capacity, due to the restrictions imposed by the EU. First they should remove these restrictions, making it possible for Gazprom to utilize the pipeline at full capacity, rather than building new pipelines.

As we have discussed this matter previously, such info makes it purposeful to continue at where we finished. I was assuming that it was actually not the EU (as a union of independent European nations) but Germany which controls this end of the pipeline, so it is Germany who has the last word (in the person of frau Merkel) whether the existing Nord Stream pipeline would operate and at what capacity. Since Austria itself is a little Germany, I can speculate that something is going to change in the current state of affairs (if it didn't already)...

By the way, Germany based E-ON is the top energy supplier in Europe

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 10:46:08 AM

As we have discussed this matter previously, such info makes it purposeful to continue at where we finished. I was assuming that it was actually not the EU (as a union of independent European nations) but Germany which controls this end of the pipeline, so it is Germany who has the last word (in the person of frau Merkel) whether the existing Nord Stream pipeline would operate and at what capacity. Since Austria itself is a little Germany, I can speculate that something is going to change in the current state of affairs (if it didn't already)...

So what do you think? Will the Germans grant permission for the 3rd and 4th lines of Nord Stream or not? The next German federal election are due on 2017, and there is a good chance that frau's Christian Democratic Union of Germany (CDU) will be thrown out of power, by a Die Linke - SPD coalition. But right now, CDU is ahead in opinion polls.
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2015, 02:30:48 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2015, 09:18:56 PM by deisik

So what do you think? Will the Germans grant permission for the 3rd and 4th lines of Nord Stream or not? The next German federal election are due on 2017, and there is a good chance that frau's Christian Democratic Union of Germany (CDU) will be thrown out of power, by a Die Linke - SPD coalition. But right now, CDU is ahead in opinion polls.

We should turn to history to see what happened in 2012, when frau Merkel freaked out at the idea of building the next lines of the Nord Stream pipeline, in order to understand what happens right now...

As I said, to see an American hand in frau Merkel's blowout would be a bit simplistic. So what actually happened back then? To get an idea, we should figure out the balance of power in today's Europe. Who is the primary contender to Berlin's domination on the continent? The contender remains the same as it was a hundred years ago. It is London. Great Britain is a part of the EU, but it is not a part of the Eurozone, so Berlin doesn't have financial power over it. Who was behind the idea of expanding and extending Nord Stream in 2012? As you may have already guessed, it was London. In June 2012 Gazprom announced initial plans to extend the Nord Stream pipeline with the construction of two new lines, one of which going straight to the United Kingdom. Why would Germany allow its ancient foe to become stronger if it could just ban the extension of the pipeline under some plausible pretext?

This pretty much explains as well why Nord Stream is used only at 50% of its capacity. Filling up the pipeline to the limit would require Germany to sell the cheap Russian gas to its competitors in the European market as cheaply (since Germany itself doesn't need so much Russian gas). That was Gazprom's idea to turn Germany into a gas hub. But instead of buying Russian gas from Germany many European countries (including Belgium, the United Kingdom and Spain) are forced to buy expensive Qatari LNG, thereby making their goods less competitive beside German goods

Now to the question you asked. If the new pipelines don't threaten the dominance of Germany in Europe (or can even contribute to this dominance making it yet more overwhelming), then I don't see much rationality in banning this project. As of now, we can only take a wait-and-see approach and speculate until the situation becomes clearer in due course

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 03:39:39 PM

^^^^

Qatari LNG accounts for only 12% of the total gas consumed in the United Kingdom, but it is still significant (Qatari LNG imports were reported at 6 billion cubic meters in 2013). If the UK want to replace Qatari gas with Russian gas, there are options other than pipeline gas. Gazprom is currently working on the Baltic LNG project, which is having a capacity of 10 million tons. Once it is complete, Gazprom may not need the Nord Stream to sell its gas to the United Kingdom.

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2015, 04:43:29 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2015, 04:56:17 PM by deisik

^^^^

Qatari LNG accounts for only 12% of the total gas consumed in the United Kingdom, but it is still significant (Qatari LNG imports were reported at 6 billion cubic meters in 2013). If the UK want to replace Qatari gas with Russian gas, there are options other than pipeline gas. Gazprom is currently working on the Baltic LNG project, which is having a capacity of 10 million tons. Once it is complete, Gazprom may not need the Nord Stream to sell its gas to the United Kingdom.

I think you should exclude domestic gas production from the balance (since it is not relevant to the matter discussed). As far as I'm informed, in 2014 Qatari LNG accounted for 20% of Britain’s gas supplies. The United Kingdom is obviously interested in cheap Russian gas, sanctions or no sanctions (given the running down of the North Sea gas fields, the UK's main source of gas)...

galdur

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 06:21:00 PM

16.2.2011 8:37

Wikileaks: Gas Pipeline Permit Was Too Easy in US View

US diplomatic cables acquired by YLE from Wikileaks show that American Embassy officials in Helsinki were surprised by the ease with which the Finnish government granted a permit for the construction of a Russia-to-Germany natural gas pipeline through Finnish territorial waters. The matter was handled as an environmental, not a security policy issue.

The gas pipeline project has moved forward smoothly from the start. The Wikileaks documents acquired by YLE show that within the US Embassy, the lack of political controversy over the project in Finland was a surprise.

Only a few days before the Finnish government issued a permit for the construction of a section of the pipeline to run through Finnish waters, US Embassy officials were consternated that Finland was dealing with the issue solely as an environmental question without regard for its security policy dimensions.

Lipponen: Sweden was two-faced

Former Prime Minister Paavo Lipponen became a consultant for the pipeline company. In an interview with YLE's Swedish-language TV, Lipponen praised the way the Finnish government handled the matter.

In contrast, he was critical of how it was approached in Sweden.

"Sweden has followed the same line as Finland in the Nord Stream question. It was discussed here, too, but we didn't play two cards at once, as was done in Sweden," said Lipponen.

Russia feared politicisation

Unlike, for example, in Estonia, the application for a pipeline construction permit was considered an entirely non-political issue in Finland. That was what Russia wanted.

According to US information, more than six months before the government's decision to approve the permit, Finnish Foreign Minister Alexander Stubb assured his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov that the pipeline had not become a political issue in Finland. Construction work was subsequently in full swing even before the government gave its final stamp of approval.

About 1000 kilometres of the natural gas pipeline between Russia and Germany have been completed, with only around 200 more to be finished.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/wikileaks_gas_pipeline_permit_was_too_easy_in_us_view/5081121

Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2015, 07:09:47 PM

Looks like Greece will not be left hanging. My feeling is that Russia will give Greece advance payment for gas transit so that Greece remains solvent.

And the signing of the construction contract creates new work places in Greece. Putin advised EU to applaud Russia for salvaging Greece and creating work there, so that Greece would be able to pay back its debts: Smiley
http://lenta.ru/news/2015/06/20/greece/

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2015, 07:19:27 PM

Looks like Greece will not be left hanging. My feeling is that Russia will give Greece advance payment for gas transit so that Greece remains solvent.

And the signing of the construction contract creates new work places in Greece. Putin advised EU to applaud Russia for salvaging Greece and creating work there, so that Greece would be able to pay back its debts: Smiley
http://lenta.ru/news/2015/06/20/greece/

Let's wait and see what actually happens. I remember that when a year ago Putin had only promised to send Russian troops to Ukraine, the whole world went agonizing. So now we could expect the speedy write-offs of all Greek debts by the EU on just hearing His word...

galdur

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 07:36:38 PM

....within the US Embassy, the lack of political controversy over the project in Finland was a surprise.

Well, no such unfortunate lack as regards their vassal state Germany which they have occupied tor 70 years now.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 04:56:48 AM

I think you should exclude domestic gas production from the balance (since it is not relevant to the matter discussed). As far as I'm informed, in 2014 Qatari LNG accounted for 20% of Britain’s gas supplies. The United Kingdom is obviously interested in cheap Russian gas, sanctions or no sanctions (given the running down of the North Sea gas fields, the UK's main source of gas)...

I am a little confused. I just saw this figure:

According to it, Gazprom sold some 12 billion cubic meters of gas to the United Kingdom in 2013. (10.09 billion cubic meters in 2014). Even as per the 2014 figures, Gazprom supplied almost one-fifth of all the gas consumed in the United Kingdom. So it means that the UK is already receiving pipeline gas from Gazprom.

http://www.gazpromexport.ru/en/statistics/
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2015, 09:12:16 AM

According to it, Gazprom sold some 12 billion cubic meters of gas to the United Kingdom in 2013. (10.09 billion cubic meters in 2014). Even as per the 2014 figures, Gazprom supplied almost one-fifth of all the gas consumed in the United Kingdom. So it means that the UK is already receiving pipeline gas from Gazprom.

http://www.gazpromexport.ru/en/statistics/

From the same site (http://www.gazpromexport.ru/en/partners/gb/)...

In December 1994, Gazprom became a shareholder in the company Interconnector (UK), which operates the Interconnector gas pipeline connecting the European continent to Britain

As per Wiki, the Interconnector is a natural gas pipeline between the United Kingdom and continental Europe. It crosses the North Sea between Bacton Gas Terminal in England and Zeebrugge in Belgium. <...> The UK export capacity of the Interconnector is 20 billion cubic metres per year. Since October 2007, the UK import capacity is 25.5 billion cubic metres per year

It seems that the Britons are not quite happy with the Qatari LNG

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 10:37:40 AM

^^^^ Did some R&D on the Gazprom sales to the UK. It seems that only a small part of it is Russian gas. Most of the gas sold to the UK by Gazprom were initially purchased from the North Sea fields, or were delivered as LNG as a part of the "swap deals" (not sure what a swap deal is and what part it plays in natural gas trade).

That is why "Others" (including Russia) are at less than 1% in the pie chart which I had posted earlier.
chopstick
Legendary

Activity: 992
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 03:46:35 PM

Givi talks on love, war and future - big interview with modern hero

http://rusvesna.su/english/1434856700

— Are you a joyful person in everyday life? - I ask as Givi laughs and gives his fighter a command to suck his belly in. The fighters are running around, shelling sounds and explosions are heard outside. The commander listens to his walky-talky and chain-smokes.

— My people should be asked this, not me.

— What’s your attitude to life? Are you a pessimist or optimist?

— I am an optimist, always. I always belive the luck is on our side… The victory and the luck. You know, I am responsible for people. If I were different, would they serve in this battallion? They respect me and I respect them in response. I may sometimes tell them well off, that’s not a secret…

Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2015, 06:09:45 PM

Valentina Lisitca, a renowned American pianist of Ukrainian descent, who was blocked from performing in Canada for her support of the people of Donbass, arrived today in Donetsk, to give a concert, commemorating the Day of Remembrance and Sorrow, the day, when Nazi Germany attacked USSR.

Lugansk was under mortar shelling today, a power like was destroyed, living thousands of people without water and power. Ukrainian forces were shelling civilian positions.

Several high_ranking officers, after securing their families, switched to the side of the people, taking an oath to DNR. The eldest of them, who also fought in Afghan, said that the officers of the Ukro-army are intimidated with threats against their families, and that they are not taking any decisions - the decisions are sent from above (stars and stripes?).

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
galdur

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 05:49:20 AM

NATO-Russia Collision Ahead?

by Patrick J. Buchanan, June 23, 2015

"U.S. Poised to Put Heavy Weaponry in East Europe: A Message to Russia," ran the headline in The New York Times.

"In a significant move to deter possible Russian aggression in Europe, the Pentagon is poised to store battle tanks, infantry fighting vehicles and other heavy weapons for as many as 5,000 American troops in several Baltic and Eastern European countries," said the Times. The sources cited were "American and allied officials."

The Pentagon’s message received a reply June 16. Russian Gen. Yuri Yakubov called the U.S. move "the most aggressive step by the Pentagon and NATO since the Cold War." When Moscow detects U.S. heavy weapons moving into the Baltic, said Yakubov, Russia will "bolster its forces and resources on the western strategic theater of operations."

Specifically, Moscow will outfit its missile brigade in Kaliningrad, bordering Lithuania and Poland, "with new Iskander tactical missile systems." The Iskander can fire nuclear warheads.

The Pentagon and Congress apparently think Vladimir Putin is a bluffer and, faced by U.S. toughness, will back down.

For the House has passed and Sen. John McCain is moving a bill to provide Ukraine with anti-armor weapons, mortars, grenade launchers and ammunition. The administration could not spend more than half of the $300 million budgeted, unless 20 percent is earmarked for offensive weapons.

Congress is voting to give Kiev a green light and the weaponry to attempt a recapture of Donetsk and Luhansk from pro-Russian rebels, who have split off from Ukraine, and Crimea, annexed by Moscow.

If the Pentagon is indeed moving U.S. troops and heavy weapons into Poland and the Baltic States, and is about to provide arms to Kiev to attack the rebels in East Ukraine, we are headed for a U.S.-Russian confrontation unlike any seen since the Cold War.

And reconsider the outcome of those confrontations.

Lest we forget, while it was Khrushchev who backed down in the Cuban missile crisis, President Eisenhower did nothing to halt the crushing of the Hungarian rebels, Kennedy accepted the Berlin Wall, and Lyndon Johnson refused to lift a finger to save the Czechs when their "Prague Spring" was snuffed out by Warsaw Pact tank armies.

Even Reagan’s response to the crushing of Solidarity was with words not military action.

None of these presidents was an appeaser, but all respected the geostrategic reality that any military challenge to Moscow on the other side of NATO’s Red Line in Germany carried the risk of a calamitous war for causes not justifying such a risk.

Yet we are today risking a collision with Russia in the Baltic States and Ukraine, where no vital U.S. interest has ever existed and where our adversary enjoys military superiority.

As Les Gelb writes in The National Interest, "the West’s limp hand" in the Baltic and "Russia’s military superiority over NATO on its Western borders," is "painfully evident to all."

"If NATO ups the military ante, Moscow can readily trump it. Moscow has significant advantages in conventional forces – backed by potent tactical nuclear weapons and a stated willingness to use them to sustain advantages or avoid defeat. The last thing NATO wants is to look weak or lose a confrontation."

And NATO losing any such confrontation is the likely outcome of the collision provoked by the Pentagon and John McCain.

For if Kiev moves with U.S. arms against the rebels in the east, and Moscow sends planes, tanks and artillery to annihilate them, Kiev will be routed. And what we do then?

Send carriers into the Black Sea to attack the Russian fleet at Sevastopol, and battle Russian missiles and air attacks?

Before we schedule a NATO confrontation with Russia, we had best look behind us to see who is following America’s lead.

According to a new survey by the Pew Global Attitudes Project, fewer than half of the respondents in Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Spain thought NATO should fight if its Baltic allies were attacked by Russia. Germans, by a 58-38 margin, did not think military force should be used by NATO to defend Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, though that is what Article 5 of the NATO charter requires of Germany.

Americans, by 56-37, favor using force to defend the Baltic States. On military aid to Ukraine, America is divided, 46 percent in favor, 43 percent opposed. However, only 1 in 5 Germans and Italians favor arming Ukraine, and in not a single major NATO nation does the arming of Ukraine enjoy clear majority support.

In Washington, Congressional hawks are primed to show Putin who is truly tough. But in shipping weapons to Ukraine and sending U.S. troops and armor into the Baltic States, they have behind them a divided nation and a NATO alliance that wants no part of this confrontation.

Unlike the Cuban missile crisis, it is Russia that has regional military superiority here, and a leader seemingly prepared to ride the escalator up right alongside us.

Are we sure it will be the Russians who blink this time?

Patrick J. Buchanan is the author of Churchill, Hitler, and “The Unnecessary War”: How Britain Lost Its Empire and the West Lost the World. To find out more about Patrick Buchanan and read features by other Creators writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Web page at www.creators.com.

http://original.antiwar.com/buchanan/2015/06/22/nato-russia-collision-ahead/

dblink

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 06:21:58 AM

The oblasts of  Donetsk, Kharkov and Lugansk are the most hardcore pro-Russian provinces. It will be interesting to know the situation in Kherson, Odessa.etc.
In the post-war period many of the destroyed homes and factories were rebuilt in Kharkov. From the constructivism the city was planned to be rebuilt in the style of Stalinist Classicism. Gas lines were installed for heating in government and later private homes. An airport was built in 1954. Following the war Kharkov was the third largest scientific-industrial centre in the former USSR (after Moscow and Leningrad).

Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 09:40:04 AM

http://www.todayszaman.com/national_ukrainian-couple-in-turkey-found-dead-after-6-year-old-spends-3-days-with-bodies_391063.html
Pages: « 1 ... 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 [368] 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 »
  Print  

Jump to: