Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:37:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 [1864] 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667061 times)
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4865

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 12:43:46 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2018, 12:59:38 AM by Hueristic

Love the title! "The World’s Least Professional Cryptocurrency"

Watching now.

Added: I started zoning 15 minutes in and have to rewind now. Smiley

Get your Squares while they're hot! All will be random, the chart is just for placeholing.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2808377.msg28788350#msg28788350

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ekseliksis

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 12:54:19 AM

News:  Dream DNM adds monero! The adoption from the big DNM players is coming Smiley

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/7sjbem/dream_dnm_adds_monero/
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 12:58:17 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2018, 05:44:16 AM by Hueristic

@Fluffypony, Good job!

I have to say this is IMO the best Presentation I have ever seen Fluffy make and I think I've watched them all!

I especially likes to hear this. Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe5QPDLk0mE&feature=youtu.be&t=1925

You guys been keeping an eye on this as well? Might beat ledger out the door. lol

https://taiga.getmonero.org/project/michael-rfc-hwallet-1-implementation/

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
ladozhskiy1995

Activity: 112
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:39:59 AM

Too many bitcoin clones so this is good direction for coin diversity like Microsoft
nikisev

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

Im the very decease you pretend to be

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 07:52:59 AM

News:  Dream DNM adds monero! The adoption from the big DNM players is coming Smiley

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/7sjbem/dream_dnm_adds_monero/

At least some coins are used properly.
South Korea want to tax btc....oh no what do we do.
Go under. Go to darknet. FIAT holders must come to crypto world.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
btclegionario

Activity: 588
Merit: 35

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2018, 07:56:01 AM

I like this because if you dont have GPU then dont worry you can mine the XMR through your computer by registering on minergate. All you need to download there software and start the same that will start mining through CPU.

imusify  ❰  Award-Winning Blockchain Music Platform  ❱  Presale starts Mar 1
DiscordProduct DemoO3 Wallet :: Get Whitelisted 
Whitepaper  ❰  ANNFacebookTwitterTelegramRedditMediumGitHubYouTubeLinkedIN  ❱  Explainer Video
]
revelacaogr
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1021

2009 Alea iacta est

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 09:08:40 AM

You guys been keeping an eye on this as well? Might beat ledger out the door. lol

exellent...
ozkraut

Activity: 522
Merit: 266

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 09:54:31 AM

My new (old) Monero slogan for the Germaphiles amongst us (;-)

Monero - Wir sind die Leute vor denen uns unsere Eltern gewarnt haben!
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 03:19:49 PM
Merited by explorer (1)

exellent...

Yes, the great thing about this is it will all be open source and there will be a DIY to make your own!

Millionero

Activity: 807
Merit: 423

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 04:37:13 PM

exellent...

Yes, the great thing about this is it will all be open source and there will be a DIY to make your own!

La domo de viro estas lia kastelo!
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 09:45:47 PM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

A good read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7szhn3/empowering_people_through_privacy/

Empowering people through privacy (self.Monero)

by oneoffephemeral

[Note that before posting it here I was looking for the official forum, but since it seemed to contain mainly topics related to developement I decided to give reddit a shot.]

Recently, I started looking into cryptocurrencies and, for mainly ideological reasons, discovered Monero. Since the concept of privacy is something that keeps me busy for quite some time now and that it seems to be an important part for the Monero project, I wanted to share some thoughts.

Problem: the narrative

Most of today’s discussions revolving around privacy are misguided. This can be explained by a presupposition trigger called “I’ve got nothing to hide”. A simple example:

You need to go to a public toilet and lock the door. Why? We all know what you’re doing in there. You’ve got nothing to hide.
A drug dealer goes to a public toilet and locks the door. Why? Chances are that he actually has something to hide.
While the end result may be the same (a locked door in a public place), the motivations for doing so are very different and can be summarized in two words: privacy and secrecy.

False dichotomies

When discussions initially intended to debate privacy end up being about secrecy, we face another implicit assumption: part of our governments’ job is to protect the public (e.g. by fighting crime). Since we are part of the public we would want for our governments to be able to do their job. Unfortunately for us, we end up feeling guilty about wanting to take a shit in private because in doing so we could hinder our governments to fight crime. They need to be sure that the drug dealer is using the public toilet for its intended purpose. Huge dilemma:

Government wants to fight crime
Secrecy helps criminals
The end result of privacy is identical to the one of secrecy
Conclusion: Privacy helps criminals or “We’ll have to get used to letting the entire world watch us taking a shit because we don’t want anyone to think that we are the bad guys.”

Is secrecy, and by extension privacy, bad?

At this point we’ve established the following:

secrecy is a tool used by criminals to cheat and deceive
privacy is a tool used to shit in peace + the “benefits” of secrecy as a side effect
Now, if we don’t want someone to come to our house and beat us up, it seems plausible to try and make sure that this someone doesn’t find out where we live. If our address was private we could actually choose to keep it a secret, thus making it difficult for that someone to come to our house in the first place. This in turn broadens the definition for both privacy and secrecy as follows:

privacy is a tool that can be used to enable secrecy
secrecy is a tool that can be used to protect ourselves
This leads to the situation that secrecy and privacy have conflicting use cases if we frame the discussion using simple binary thinking such as good vs. bad. “Now, this doesn’t seem to be that unusual...” thinks the guy who just bought a new knife to cut his steak before moving on to stabbing his annoying wife. And he’s right. It isn’t…

The real question is: who are we?

For argument’s sake, let’s be a “criminal” job applicant. Our goal is simple: we want to beat our competition for a given job. We decide to hack into their computers and gather as much information as possible. Knowing their weaknesses and strengths allows us to emphasize our strengths in ways that go beyond the scope of this small thought experiment, but let’s just say: we may find ourselves at a bit of an advantage.

Now, let’s be “criminal” politicians in a democracy with anyone being a potential competitor (democracy, right?) and hack into their computers and...wait a minute! Are we idiots? Why be “criminal” and bother with hacking at all? We’re politicians, let’s try and convince people to share their information willingly. How could we do that?

So we’re politicians and our mission is to get the upper hand over our potential opponents (which could be anyone in a democracy, but for simplicity’s sake let’s call them: the public) by increasing our knowledge about them. Unfortunately, the public’s not only comprised of idiots and asking them to share information about things they’d rather not share will prove to be difficult. After all, they don’t want us to go over to their house and beat them up (since we’re politicians we know better and would simply send someone else to do the job anyways.).

There are two things that really work to our advantage here:

The conflicting definitions for secrecy and privacy
The public’s perception of privacy
Being able to choose the same terms for different use cases allows us to obfuscate what we really want to achieve. Basically, we can shape how the public thinks by setting the stage with terms they believe to fully understand, leading them to engage in our discussion without questioning our motives for initiating it in the first place. After all, they trust that they understand a seemingly simple word that is part of their basic vocabulary.

Now, the trick is that when asked about privacy, people don’t think about taking a shit in peace, but rather about the locked door. This makes it virtually impossible for them to distinguish between privacy and secrecy and, by extension, between a space “without other people” and a space “protecting us against other people”. The former works without the latter, but the latter depends on the former. Of course, we don’t want them to think that secrecy can be beneficial, so we just add a drug dealer into the mix and we shift their focus from “the knife to cut the steak” [useful] to “the knife to stab the wife” [devious]. As long as people think

privacy = locking the door when doing harmless things
secrecy = locking the door when trying do hide “harmful” activity
we should easily be able to switch off their sense of self-protection at will.

But what if we’re the good guys and bad people want to hurt us? Short answer: we’re not the good guys. In fact, sometimes we are the good guys and need protection, but sometimes we are the bad guys and others need protection against us. Being aware of that can be a bit difficult at times.

In the context of Monero/cryptocurrency

Because of the unpredictable nature of a human being it makes sense to enable protection for all by default. If we can agree that privacy enables protection in form of secrecy, a project like Monero makes sense to me. While researching Monero or what is intended as a privacy-focused project, I ended up asking myself the question: doesn’t that look like the perfect example to try and make illegal? The first thing that came to mind was that a tax system as we know it (at least in my area) would be under serious threat. But the truth is: it should be. It is inefficient, leads to corruption and transparency doesn’t work. Following the money is impossible and even when documents are released they don’t make any sense to anyone who wasn’t somehow directly involved in the process (which means the majority of the public).

One user in this thread suggested that governments should have to crowd source every project. I came to the same conclusion. I have a feeling that we live in a system in which we are forced to throw money at our governments simply because it is assumed that we should trust them to do the right thing...which seems awfully hard to me if they collect money regardless of what they actually accomplish (or not). Changing the people working for the system won't solve anything, but changing the system itself could be pretty exciting. No idea whether this will be possible with something like Monero, but reading about the project seems at least to fire up some of my dormant neurones...
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 10:04:16 PM
Merited by explorer (1)

A good read....
[/quote]

It was a good read, he may want to swap out fight with deter though. I love it when a good read diasy chains me to another! Smiley

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7fqrse/hypothetical_us_gov_makes_xmr_illegal_now_what/

blockchain technology is so detrimental to power and control that it jeopardizes the very existence of government.

QFT!

explorer
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 10:16:38 PM

A good read....

It was a good read, he may want to swap out fight with deter though. I love it when a good read diasy chains me to another! Smiley

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7fqrse/hypothetical_us_gov_makes_xmr_illegal_now_what/

blockchain technology is so detrimental to power and control that it jeopardizes the very existence of government.

QFT!
Taxes are oft cited as a reason to ban private money.  Are not taxes the lesser part of government 'funding' these days?  Don't they just - print/borrow/steal whatever its called this week - far more than they collect?  Especially if you count the infrastructure cost to make and enforce those collections?  Maybe US specific, but I'm thinking that taxes are more of a control mechanism than an income.  Perhaps that is the basis of the resulting detriment to power and control.  Taxes, like terrorism and 'the children' - just another ruse.
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 10:21:59 PM

fast and secure money transfer is the most important feature. Privacy is important. Buy monero,mine monero. win and win.

Privacy is important.  You cannot have secure without private IMO, so it is not really a separate thing.  Obscurity is perhaps the best first line of security.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 10:31:10 PM

A good read....

QFT!
Taxes are oft cited as a reason to ban private money.  Are not taxes the lesser part of government 'funding' these days?  Don't they just - print/borrow/steal whatever its called this week - far more than they collect?  Especially if you count the infrastructure cost to make and enforce those collections?  Maybe US specific, but I'm thinking that taxes are more of a control mechanism than an income.  Perhaps that is the basis of the resulting detriment to power and control.  Taxes, like terrorism and 'the children' - just another ruse.

True they arguments continue on why you must give up more and more of your freedom and privacy and the argument always boils down to the fact you are not trusted and are a potential criminal. This is why I pointed out it is not the Governments job to fight crime it is to Deter crime as in passing laws and enforceing them for criminal acts. Fighting is a proactive as opposed to the reactive role that the government is supposed to use. It needs to be against the law for any institution to provocative act in a manner detrimental to one of it's citizens even if it could possibly "Save the children". This where are current disconnect is in the Law enforcement machine at the moment and really never has been addressed as far as I can tell. It will more than likely have to be heard by the supreme court where it will be ruled that the "possible" needs of the many outweigh the rights of the individual.

lol I should post this on that reddit thread but I just hate it there. If I haven't said that in the last few seconds! Tongue

crypt0baws

Activity: 57
Merit: 2

Ælf/XMR Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 04:54:39 AM

Anyone else been picking up more XMR on the dips?

Ælf; the 3rd gen Blockchain Network. Sign up & earn Ælf! (https://candy.aelf.io/account/register?invitationCode=0L0Y0V0H3F2M)
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 04:58:22 AM

No yet but I, like cAPSLOCK  am always wrong. Smiley

LennyCarl

Activity: 176
Merit: 108

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 05:03:14 AM

No yet but I, like cAPSLOCK  am always wrong. Smiley

I've been picking some up but I'm always wrong, too. One of us will be right for the first time!
vince212

Activity: 306
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 05:48:43 AM

anyone here mining with 750ti?

can you share me your hashrates?
BtcMan2009

Activity: 1022
Merit: 340

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 05:56:56 AM

People here thought that I was a DASH shill, no I said that I was hedging, had a similar amount of Monero and Dash in my portfolio.

Now I am leaning more towards Monero, at the bare minimum I find it more elegant. I am still confused about the Dash masternode and instantsend system. Monero seems more easy to understand, and much safer in my opinion.

I will feature Monero on my blog many times in the near future:
https://steemit.com/monero/@profitgenerator/monero-intro-and-verification
You go in the right direction.  Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 [1864] 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: