Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:45:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 [216] 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 ... 318 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] AEON: Scalable, private, mobile-friendly cryptocurrency  (Read 625089 times)
Optikopti

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 06:33:32 PM

Guys i am mining AEON

GPU AMD R7 260X

CPU AMD FX 4300

GPU:390 H/S

CPU 330 H/S

THEY ARE NORMAL RATES FOR MY HARDWARE OR LOW

anyone can help please ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jbmustaq

Activity: 445
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 08:11:43 PM

yup thats normal.
rickgejr

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 12:28:32 AM

@bbc.reporter:

Excuse tardy response. Hurricane Irma shut my power off for 3 days. Better than Charley - a week. And we are lucky.

Regarding smart phones, wallets and nodes.

My point is if Aeon nodes (and/or wallets) are designed to run on smart phones they can (will) become next target of hackers.

No matter how secure the blockchain is, once a key logger, screen reader, social engineer dicks over your dumb phone, Aeon or any crypto therein, will be stolen.

Sure, we can label MacAfee a bit wacky, but in my experience, the crazies are often not stupid.

We must move Aeon (one of my all time favorite crypto's) to hardware wallets and secure PC's, in order to preserve it make it the goto coin.

If what MacAfee says is true, the next major heist of crypto's will hit smart phones.

Wouldn't it be nice if Aeon could say, after such a heist: "None of our users lost an Aeon."
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1441

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 01:38:55 AM

@rickgejr. I agree. That is why only we ourselves should secure our wallets. But you do not get my point. Why would you as a user of cryptocoins store everything you have in a wallet installed in your smart phone? It should be on cold storage where no one except you can touch your coins.

The purpose of running Aeon nodes in a smart phone is simply because in the future, hopefully, we can. That is the real goal of Aeon, and it is something that has not been done in the cryptospace before.

Running nodes in smart phones does not mean it should also be your wallet. Running nodes mean you are helping Aeon to be more decentralized.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
rickgejr

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 11:56:59 AM

@bbc.reporter:

The fact that smart phones might be secure enough in the future to run an Aeon node, wallet etc., is the point. They are not yet secure enough.

I understand that a slim client -- a self-pruning algo -- would allow such usage. Meaning, smart phones with Aeon nodes, wallets etc. That it is the point of pruning in the first place, as I understand it.

So the question remains. Why code Aeon for a smart phone, following the herd, when it can focus on PC's and hardware wallets?

Slimming a blockchain to run on a smart phone still provides hackers with the knowledge that you are running an Aeon node. Now they will look for your wallet, next.
molecularman

Activity: 406
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 03:54:50 PM

I am pretty confused as to how you go about mining..  I am a total newb.

I downloaded the current release and sync'd, created a wallet and used the wallet to "start_mine 2".    It currently has a hashrate around 13,  and the difficulty is at 15,552,549.    Which seems really low?

It has ran for about an hour, and I don't see anything being added to my wallet.     I thought I'd see like..   .0002 or something being added,  or does it not work that way?   Is the difficulty just too low for anything to work?  How could I increase the difficulty?  I didn't see anything in the cmd lines to do that.

Can you use this release to go into a pool?  I didn't see any config files to enter a pool address and such. 

I thought about just downloading the Arux windows miner from aeon.sumominer and joining a pool that way. 

Thanks in advance for helping this newb.

Your signature here
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1103

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 05:06:52 PM

I am pretty confused as to how you go about mining..  I am a total newb.

I downloaded the current release and sync'd, created a wallet and used the wallet to "start_mine 2".    It currently has a hashrate around 13,  and the difficulty is at 15,552,549.    Which seems really low?

It has ran for about an hour, and I don't see anything being added to my wallet.     I thought I'd see like..   .0002 or something being added,  or does it not work that way?   Is the difficulty just too low for anything to work?  How could I increase the difficulty?  I didn't see anything in the cmd lines to do that.

Can you use this release to go into a pool?  I didn't see any config files to enter a pool address and such.  

I thought about just downloading the Arux windows miner from aeon.sumominer and joining a pool that way.  

Thanks in advance for helping this newb.

If you mine using the client wallet/daemon you are solo mining, and will only get coins when you find a block. Your hashrate seems pretty low, but if you want to estimate the time it will take you to find a block, just divide difficulty by your hashrate to get estimated time in seconds. So, 15M/15 is approximately 1M s, or 12 days. If you want small incremental rewards you need to mine on a pool.
molecularman

Activity: 406
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 05:25:03 PM

Quote from: jwinterm
[/quote

If you mine using the client wallet/daemon you are solo mining, and will only get coins when you find a block. Your hashrate seems pretty low, but if you want to estimate the time it will take you to find a block, just divide difficulty by your hashrate to get estimated time in seconds. So, 15M/15 is approximately 1M s, or 12 days. If you want small incremental rewards you need to mine on a pool.

Thanks! So it sounds like my laptop isn't  really powerful enough for solo mining.     I read something on reddit about this not requiring much power and it could be done on a phone.   Figured I would dip my toes into the water.

Your signature here
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1103

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 05:30:06 PM

[/quote

Thanks! So it sounds like my laptop isn't  really powerful enough for solo mining.     I read something on reddit about this not requiring much power and it could be done on a phone.   Figured I would dip my toes into the water.

One block every couple weeks isn't too bad. Imagine if you could solomine a bitcoin block every couple weeks Tongue

It kind of sounds like your laptop CPU does not have AES capability, which is very important to speed for mining cryptonight(-light). But if you just want to mess around and not expecting to make lots of profit, go for it.
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 08:23:58 PM

I wouldn't recommend mining on a laptop, they usually struggle with heat even when not mining. Unless you have a recent i7 in your laptop I don't think it's worth the risk of extra heat and stress on the system.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 01:30:23 AM

@bbc.reporter:

The fact that smart phones might be secure enough in the future to run an Aeon node, wallet etc., is the point. They are not yet secure enough.

I understand that a slim client -- a self-pruning algo -- would allow such usage. Meaning, smart phones with Aeon nodes, wallets etc. That it is the point of pruning in the first place, as I understand it.

So the question remains. Why code Aeon for a smart phone, following the herd, when it can focus on PC's and hardware wallets?

Slimming a blockchain to run on a smart phone still provides hackers with the knowledge that you are running an Aeon node. Now they will look for your wallet, next.

How would running a node in an insecure smart phone affect the Aeon network as a whole? I reckon computers running a Windows operating system might also be just as full of security holes or more.

Cryptocoin protocols are decentralized. If one node fails there are many more working to support and run the network.

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
rickgejr

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 02:14:58 AM

@bbc.reporter:

Smooth can tell you better than I, but smart phones are still dumb computers.

One can secure Aeon nodes on a PC far better than a phone, currently -- even on a Windows machine.

A node on a smart phone helps secure the network, but also makes it easy for the snoopers to see what coins you might have stashed elsewhere.

What also bothers me about pruned blockchains or a thin client Aeon, is the 51% attack using toasters, refrigerators and my smart thermostat.

Is smaller better?

Has or will the new and improved thin-Aeon have special protections against an army of Chinese dark-brew coffee makers?

stoffu

Activity: 203
Merit: 166

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2017, 02:43:27 AM

I wouldn't recommend mining on a laptop, they usually struggle with heat even when not mining. Unless you have a recent i7 in your laptop I don't think it's worth the risk of extra heat and stress on the system.

I disagree. With a proper environment (e.g. hard floor & good ventilation), I believe CPU mining AEON on laptops is quite safe and feasible. I mine with a mid-2012 MacBook Air with 2GHz Core i7 which pulls out 410H/s at maximum using XMRig (4 threads, huge pages enabled).
stoffu

Activity: 203
Merit: 166

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2017, 03:00:23 AM

[/quote

One block every couple weeks isn't too bad. Imagine if you could solomine a bitcoin block every couple weeks Tongue

It kind of sounds like your laptop CPU does not have AES capability, which is very important to speed for mining cryptonight(-light). But if you just want to mess around and not expecting to make lots of profit, go for it.

The current network difficulty is in the order of 1G, so the time for the hash rate of 15H/s to find a block would be easily multiple years...

molecularman: Your hash rate seems absurdly low, especially when considering the fact that your laptop could run aeond and fully sync the blockchain without problems. I'd recommend using one of those popular mining software (instead of aeond) for pool mining:

For a list of mining pools, go to http://aeonpools.net/
bbc.reporter
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 01:07:55 AM

@bbc.reporter:

A node on a smart phone helps secure the network, but also makes it easy for the snoopers to see what coins you might have stashed elsewhere.

How? When Aeon's code is complete there would be no way to connect a transaction with an address unless you give them the view key.

Also how can snoopers make a blockchain insecure? The bitcoin blockchain's transactions are there for everyone to see but it has not made it less secure.

I did not quote the rest of your post because now I am starting to think you are trolling.

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
rickgejr

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 12:57:28 PM

@bbc.reporter:

Please. Trolling? Get a grip. This is called relevant discussion. I'm no Aeon convert or any kind of "coin convert." Not "blinded by the possibilities."

Here's a blog I wrote awhile back about Aeon, that was farmed out to toughnickel.com: https://toughnickel.com/personal-finance/The-Crypto-Papers-Rebirth-of-AEON

I understand that the "main" blockchain itself is secure, even on a smart phone -- even if slimmed down (pruned) as Smooth indicates. My concern about any coin info on a smart phone is that a smart phone is essentially dumb and hack-able. Again, not the blockchain. You don't bank or pay bills on your smart phone, do you?

If I can hack your phone, install a keylogger, screen reader, virus, clone your phone -- and you only have the blockchain and do not mine to an address -- what do I know? I know that you probably have an Aeon wallet somewhere. Maybe on your PC. Maybe you don't use a VPN or jump to a TOR hidden website -- where you store your coins. Maybe you use Google Authenticator on your smart phone. Maybe you have an account on Bittrex with all kinds of coins. Maybe I'll find your email address on your cell phone. Maybe I'll send you a notification from bitcointalk.org (make it look identical), but when you click the link (you don't do you), I'll drop a keylogger and a few other goodies on your PC.  Now I go and find your wallet(s), open it, empty it and just for giggles, activate a virus that wipes your PC and disables your cell phone. In the mean time, while your dealing with that, I'll comb your keylogger history looking for passwords, find all the other exchanges where you trade, open your accounts and bleed them dry.

Hackers gather bread crumbs. Putting anything financial on a smart phone is dumb -- until the tech is better. But this is not my opinion. Many techies, computer nerds and black hatters say the same thing.

But you can chance it. Go ahead -- advertise that you love Aeon. Entice that hackers who do this stuff just for the challenge of it. They've come my way more than once when I bad mouthed Bytecoin and Iota. I suspect those guys from India, but it could have been anyone.
peanutmonkey

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 02:44:26 PM

Hackers gather bread crumbs. Putting anything financial on a smart phone is dumb -- until the tech is better. But this is not my opinion. Many techies, computer nerds and black hatters say the same thing.

Things might change with the privacy-focused Librem 5 smartphone, at least if they can get it crowdfunded by late next month.
erok

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 04:50:34 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2017, 05:04:54 PM by erok

Things might change with the privacy-focused Librem 5 smartphone, at least if they can get it crowdfunded by late next month.
The librem 5 is happening. Someone will do something similar at least. Just a matter of time. The question will have to be from where was it manufactured and what warehouses it hits in shipping that will determine it's real security.

But if you aren't on an air gapped rasp pi or a trezor or paper wallet for your main stash, you are running a risk of a keylogger/capture on any device. It doesn't matter if it is a phone or not.

IMO if there is one platform that big corporations and the general consumer throw money at for security, it will be the mobile platforms. I believe a lightweight and secure version of monero, capable of running on devices like a phone, refrigerator, or your car could be something useful.

Not sure people think about the weight of a blockchain anymore and how it might work in an iot world. This is why I like aeon.

"the destruction of privacy widens the existing power imbalance between the ruling factions and everyone else" -- Julian Assange
rickgejr

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 12:21:05 AM

@erok:

Awesome.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 02:04:13 AM

@bbc.reporter:

Please. Trolling? Get a grip. This is called relevant discussion. I'm no Aeon convert or any kind of "coin convert." Not "blinded by the possibilities."

Here's a blog I wrote awhile back about Aeon, that was farmed out to toughnickel.com: https://toughnickel.com/personal-finance/The-Crypto-Papers-Rebirth-of-AEON

I understand that the "main" blockchain itself is secure, even on a smart phone -- even if slimmed down (pruned) as Smooth indicates. My concern about any coin info on a smart phone is that a smart phone is essentially dumb and hack-able. Again, not the blockchain. You don't bank or pay bills on your smart phone, do you?

If I can hack your phone, install a keylogger, screen reader, virus, clone your phone -- and you only have the blockchain and do not mine to an address -- what do I know? I know that you probably have an Aeon wallet somewhere. Maybe on your PC. Maybe you don't use a VPN or jump to a TOR hidden website -- where you store your coins. Maybe you use Google Authenticator on your smart phone. Maybe you have an account on Bittrex with all kinds of coins. Maybe I'll find your email address on your cell phone. Maybe I'll send you a notification from bitcointalk.org (make it look identical), but when you click the link (you don't do you), I'll drop a keylogger and a few other goodies on your PC.  Now I go and find your wallet(s), open it, empty it and just for giggles, activate a virus that wipes your PC and disables your cell phone. In the mean time, while your dealing with that, I'll comb your keylogger history looking for passwords, find all the other exchanges where you trade, open your accounts and bleed them dry.

But you can chance it. Go ahead -- advertise that you love Aeon. Entice that hackers who do this stuff just for the challenge of it. They've come my way more than once when I bad mouthed Bytecoin and Iota. I suspect those guys from India, but it could have been anyone.

What is holding back the hackers from doing that today? Almost all the regular people not into cryptocoins are already doing financial matter and their banking needs on their mobile devices. There are bitcoiners who have wallet apps installed. There is Apple Pay, Google Pay and others. Do we see hackers hacking the billions of smartphones containing banking details? Where?

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Pages: « 1 ... 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 [216] 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 ... 318 »
  Print  

Jump to: