Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:19:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 [1240] 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
8up

Activity: 618
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 05:19:26 PM

Do we have a list of all the current big name defectors?

feel free, to add to it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16eHxzLoJk5GnkqNBCrVfBRbXm82-QJRqMq1BStVKDOw/edit?pli=1#gid=0

Always wrong until not.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bagatell

Activity: 722

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 05:31:44 PM

Summers is a trojan horse

i used to enjoy the tinfoil hat aspect to so many bitcoiners, but these days it is just sad & annoying.

Given Mr Summers past achievements and business associates, I too, have to ask where his allegiances lie.
Natalia_AnatolioPAMM

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 05:39:24 PM

so true
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 05:47:44 PM

Larry Summers once again.  That means he's now an advisor to both Xapo and 21.

whereas TPTB will scream "conspiracy!", i take it for what i think it is, a darn good bullish thing.  this is promoter of Gibson's Paradox, the tie btwn interest rates and the gold price.  he understands Sound Money.  for him to get behind Bitcoin means he understands the Sound Money aspects of Bitcoin.  that can only help.

Seems like rats fleeing a sinking ship, or at least hedging against it. You'd have to be a special person not to see the what a mess the intertwined global political/financial landscape is in right now. Politico types will go wherever they smell money and opportunity.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 06:11:44 PM

i used to enjoy the tinfoil hat aspect to so many bitcoiners, but these days it is just sad & annoying.

In my scan of this morning's 'gold collapsing, bitcoin up.' thread, I sense that, true to form, the anticipated contingent feels that maybe Summers thinks he can make a ton off Bitcoin and there is a hope from some that they can ride his coat-tails as he surfs the wave.  My 'conspiracy theory' is that Summers has had ample opportunity over his career to amass as much wealth as he desires and he has no need of Bitcoin to help him in this (likely long ago achieved) endeavor.  Summer's track record seems to be one of engineering methods of financial control over the masses (and other lesser states) which is typical off many of those among us who have 'made it' and are interested mostly in moving on-ward and up-ward.  To the run-of-the-mill Bitcoin hodler:  Good luck riding Summer's coat-tails.

On a different topic which is only related to the quoted text, here's one amusing conspiracy 'theories' that I thought of recently:

Say someone finally figured out a mildly workable distributed crypto-currency solution and it passed some bar needed to partially prove it's mettle.  Helping fund Wikilieaks in the face of a block by the mainstream financial system, for instance.

Say this raised Bitcoin to the attention of those who engineered this mainstream financial block and they considered it a viable threat.

Say that the early participants in Bitcoin were a conglomeration of what were mainly losers and it included one unemployed engineer who was bored enough to set up a faucet and thus garner some attention in the community but who clearly loved big brother.

Say TPTB realized that they could easily take out the originator who was something of a lone-wolf and had been fairly careful to preserve his identity to the extent needed to throw off the masses investigative efforts, and install their more more favored 'leader'.  If said 'more appropriate' leader claimed this happened just because 'Satoshi' changed an e-mail address, most of the Bitcoin fanatics would buy the story hook, line, and sinker.

Although well below the bar of 'theory', this hypothesis has some explanatory power.  In particular, if Satoshi is simply no longer among the living it would explain why he's not been heard from and why his quasi-pre-mine have remained static.  More than anything it would explain why Gavin is intent on destroying the solution but in a careful way which seems to exceed his native abilities.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 06:18:23 PM

Assume some or all of the individuals in this list are saboteurs instead of defectors.

What types of attacks can they carry out?

What countermeasures are available to defend against those attacks?
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 06:22:42 PM

eh, disagree. summers' involvement is tptb driven. nothing more. nothing less.

tptb driven...asunder Wink
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 06:25:37 PM

Nice. A sections for endorsers would be cool, too.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 08:33:44 PM
Last edit: May 26, 2015, 08:48:13 PM by Carlton Banks

Quote from: Lawrence Summers
Until now whenever we’ve needed to transfer money we’ve had to rely on a third party, whether it be a bank, a clearing house or a payment network. Bitcoin offers, for the first time, a method for transferring value and making payments from anywhere to anywhere, in real-time, without any intermediary.

^ Bitcoin is powerful because it is borderless and permissionless.  

This is not true, and people keep repeating it at a concerning rate. The reality isn't quite so snappily summed up, but it's wildly different from this presentation, and that makes it very dangerous misinformation.

There is counter party risk

There is permission

There is trust

And all three are vested in the mining network, and everyone happily sweeps this under the rug at every opportunity. Until someone comes up with a way to decentralise mining (or remove the miners ability to choose which transactions to include), I will not allow people to repeat this misinformation unchallenged.

Vires in numeris
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 09:41:08 PM

Sorry for the OT, but anyone want to do (what I believe is) a simple JavaScript task for some coin?  Place a bid here.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 09:43:10 PM

Until now whenever we’ve needed to transfer money we’ve had to rely on a third party, whether it be a bank, a clearing house or a payment network. Bitcoin offers, for the first time, a method for transferring value and making payments from anywhere to anywhere, in real-time, without any intermediary.

This is not true, and people keep repeating it at a concerning rate. The reality isn't quite so snappily summed up, but it's wildly different from this presentation, and that makes it very dangerous misinformation.
I agree but not in the senstionalist sense that you like to put it.

What counter party risk?

There is permission

There is trust
I agree.  However, I would use the terms 'trust-minimized' and 'permission-minimized' instead of trustless and permissionless.  

Nothing is completely trustless.  If we used a scale of 0 to 100, with 0 being completely trustless and 100 needing full trust, then bitcoin is much closer to 0 and fiat currencies are much closer to 100.  

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 09:44:29 PM

First off, miners can't spend your coins, they can only deny that you spend them.  So counterparty risk is so significantly diminished as to warrant a different term.  And so is trust.

Second, if you don't like what miners are doing (presumably denying your transactions), you (or more likely a group of similarly minded people) can pool your money and buy your own miners.  (This presupposes that the miners can even identify your transactions which is a necessary step before one can even think about granting permission) Your miners can join the network (without permission) and so some % of blocks mined will be what you want them to be, unless the majority of other miners collectively choose to ignore your blocks at a potential economic disadvantage to themselves.  In which case you can continue on your own fork if you really want.  So again so much less permission is required as compared to traditional payment networks that is does not make sense to claim that bitcoin requires "permission".

Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 09:51:38 PM

When considering the general deflation, don't underestimate the different ages of the capital. Low interest skews projects towards long time projects, which happen to be oil, iron and other metals. Oil is 30 years from start of investment (surveying) to finished consumer goods. That is now why the products from oil and other long time, capital intensive industries are too plentiful compared to actual demand. When capitcal cost is zero, any project is profitable, as long as sales pay for daily expenses.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 09:52:29 PM

Given Mr Summers past achievements and business associates, I too, have to ask where his allegiances lie.

In my mind Summers, knows who the insiders and outsiders are, he is both strong and smart enough to have the foresight to passed up the blue pill, yet being an adviser to Bitcoin start ups is still enough of a buffer to avoid swallowing the red pill.

In my view he is a Professor Bitcoin with lots of wisdom, he seems well positions to ride the Bitcoin wave, or just sit on his surfboard and enjoy the sun.

all the TPTB conspiracy is a bit much at the moment, Bitcoin is not a sure thing by any means, if it were this bear market would turnaround.
If Bitcoin is a highly engendered event, what we could be seeing at this point in time is a  practical review of how big can this scale, even an economic fitness test for both Bitcoin insiders and outsiders.
Bitcoin is still the best shot civilization has at functioning practically. Bitcoin shouldn't escape this downtrend until it is understood it can scale, and while Gavin tackles that, I agree with him that Bitcoin is still a very risky put.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Fakhoury
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1027

Permabull Bitcoin Investor

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 09:58:28 PM

In my mind Summers, knows who the insiders and outsiders are, he is both strong and smart enough to have the foresight to passed up the blue pill, yet being an adviser to Bitcoin start ups is still enough of a buffer to avoid swallowing the red pill.

In my view he is a Professor Bitcoin with lots of wisdom, he seems well positions to ride the Bitcoin wave, or just sit on his surfboard and enjoy the sun.

all the TPTB conspiracy is a bit much at the moment, Bitcoin is not a sure thing by any means, if it were this bear market would turnaround.
If Bitcoin is a highly engendered event, what we could be seeing at this point in time is a  practical review of how big can this scale, even an economic fitness test for both Bitcoin insiders and outsiders.
Bitcoin is still the best shot civilization has at functioning practically. Bitcoin shouldn't escape this downtrend until it is understood it can scale, and while Gavin tackles that, I agree with him that Bitcoin is still a very risky put.

Still I don't get it, why bitcoin is risky put with all movements and effort that are put into ?

Quote from:  Satoshi Nakamoto
Feb. 14, 2010: I’m sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 10:05:17 PM

If Bitcoin is a highly engendered event, what we could be seeing at this point in time is a  practical review of how big can this scale, even an economic fitness test for both Bitcoin insiders and outsiders.

Still I don't get it, why bitcoin is risky put with all movements and effort that are put into ?

<blockchain summit>

because it's about the blockchain technology

</blockchain summit>

isnt there a Blockchain Foundation somewhere by now? Grin
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 10:17:19 PM
Last edit: May 26, 2015, 10:55:56 PM by Carlton Banks

So, bitcoin is permissionless? I don't see how it's possible to sensationalise such a basic fact. Bitcoin holders can be prevented from spending their bitcoin by a majority of miners: that's just plain statement of facts. Another would be that, currently, no organised scheme exists to politicise the validity of bitcoins. And a further dispassionate fact would be that there always remains a risk that miners will end up in such a scheme while the system still permits it.

What counter party risk?

The risk that a counter party represents to your assets (not the same way the expression is applied with physical commodities, but I don't see that as a technical let-off). Bitcoin holders can be prevented from spending their bitcoin by a majority of miners.

Second, if you don't like what miners are doing (presumably denying your transactions), you (or more likely a group of similarly minded people) can pool your money and buy your own miners.  (This presupposes that the miners can even identify your transactions which is a necessary step before one can even think about granting permission) Your miners can join the network (without permission) and so some % of blocks mined will be what you want them to be, unless the majority of other miners collectively choose to ignore your blocks at a potential economic disadvantage to themselves.  In which case you can continue on your own fork if you really want.  So again so much less permission is required as compared to traditional payment networks that is does not make sense to claim that bitcoin requires "permission".

None of that is a practical way around transaction censorship, and certainly not as a solution for all users of bitcoin. The block solution difficulty is just too high for that, and will remain out of reach to all but professional miners until that dynamic can be changed. Someone in the development forum just today came up with "Helical blockchains" as a solution to mining centralisation, more thought needs to go towards that side of things IMO.

Vires in numeris
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 10:35:15 PM

if it wasn't it would be worth a lot more,

I'm long on Bitcoin, but there is a lot going on and lots of politics. in practice what I'm seeing is political pressure is rivaling the mechanics that makes up the protocol.
This is a huge risk to the future of Bitcoin imo many don't see it as they are practical motivated and circumvent social engineering and political situations. If you can tweak the mechanics of the protocol by leveraging political pressure then Bitcoin will be leveraged by political pressure. Bitcoin does what the economic majority want, the only question in my mind is does the economic majority want to adopt the immutable rules of Bitcoin, or does the economic majority want to tweak the rules by manipulating politics.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Fakhoury
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1027

Permabull Bitcoin Investor

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 10:39:31 PM

if it wasn't it would be worth a lot more,

I'm long on Bitcoin, but there is a lot going on and lots of politics. in practice what I'm seeing is political pressure is rivaling the mechanics that makes up the protocol.
This is a huge risk to the future of Bitcoin imo many don't see it as they are practical motivated and circumvent social engineering and political situations. If you can tweak the mechanics of the protocol by leveraging political pressure then Bitcoin will be leveraged by political pressure. Bitcoin does what the economic majority want, the only question in my mind is does the economic majority want to adopt the immutable rules of Bitcoin, or does the economic majority want to tweak the rules by manipulating politics.

This is a good point really, this question raised a flay in my mind, what option would you go with ?

Me, myself, will go with the adaption of the bitcoin rules.

Quote from:  Satoshi Nakamoto
Feb. 14, 2010: I’m sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume.
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 11:18:18 PM

So, bitcoin is permissionless? I don't see how it's possible to sensationalise such a basic fact. Bitcoin holders can be prevented from spending their bitcoin by a majority of miners: that's just plain statement of facts.

I used the term 'permission-minimized.'  How many times has someone been prevented from spending their coins?  None that I am aware of.  It's just another theoretical attack that doesn't work in practice.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
Pages: « 1 ... 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 [1240] 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: