Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:08:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 [380] 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 05:18:32 PM

I don't understand your question - do you mean "how can we trust the Fed is doing the right thing"?
No, certainly not, nobody sane would suggest that the Fed is doing the "right" thing, me first Smiley

I would like to understand how it's possible to _verify_ how much the Fed is lending and how, since the movement "audit the Fed" had not much luck..

BTW, I profit to signal this one that is good for a laugh:
Hedge-Fund Manager Paul Singer ‘Shocked’ by Bitcoin Popularity

Instead, Mr. Singer encouraged investors to consider gold, which he wrote was “currently available at a good price.” As The Wall Street Journal reported earlier this month, some hedge fund investors have been taking advantage of gold’s largest annual decline in 32 years to increase their bullish gold wagers.

“Gold is out of fashion, but we think the explanation for why it has been drifting down is not compelling. The economy seems stuck in the doldrums, but most so-called ‘experts’ have been changing their minds almost weekly about when they think the economy will finally begin a long-term acceleration to the upside,” Mr. Singer wrote in the letter.

One of the best reads on this: http://m.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-real-housewives-of-wall-street-look-whos-cashing-in-on-the-bailout-20110411

I strongly urge anyone who hasnt read it to please read.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 07:59:10 PM

One of the best reads on this: http://m.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-real-housewives-of-wall-street-look-whos-cashing-in-on-the-bailout-20110411

Wow that article is a pretty big deal, I can't understand how I could miss it, it should be reprinted everywhere.

Yes, please, anyone who hasn't read it, I urge it to.

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:53:17 PM

I don't understand your question - do you mean "how can we trust the Fed is doing the right thing"?
No, certainly not, nobody sane would suggest that the Fed is doing the "right" thing, me first Smiley

I would like to understand how it's possible to _verify_ how much the Fed is lending and how, since the movement "audit the Fed" had not much luck..

BTW, I profit to signal this one that is good for a laugh:
Hedge-Fund Manager Paul Singer ‘Shocked’ by Bitcoin Popularity

Instead, Mr. Singer encouraged investors to consider gold, which he wrote was “currently available at a good price.” As The Wall Street Journal reported earlier this month, some hedge fund investors have been taking advantage of gold’s largest annual decline in 32 years to increase their bullish gold wagers.

“Gold is out of fashion, but we think the explanation for why it has been drifting down is not compelling. The economy seems stuck in the doldrums, but most so-called ‘experts’ have been changing their minds almost weekly about when they think the economy will finally begin a long-term acceleration to the upside,” Mr. Singer wrote in the letter.

those kinda articles enrage the hell outta me.  Matt Taiibi has done some of the best articles on that whole fiasco known as the GFC of 2008-9.  the ripoffs were and are just astounding and were critical in understanding why Bitcoin was destined to do what it has done.  totally unsurprising why we now have the greatest wealth disparity in this country since 1929.

that story dovetails nicely with this well known video:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJqM2tFOxLQ

Bernanke, Geithner, and Paulson, et al will go down in history as criminals.
Dr Bloggood

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:09:11 PM
Last edit: February 01, 2014, 11:25:26 PM by Dr Bloggood

The Fed can and likely does inject more liquidity into the system than it admits. Some claim the real number is $130 (now $110) billions or even more. I haven't looked into how that works, but it would be interesting to know. So let us know if you find out!

EDIT: Here I have an excerpt for you from a blog I love, it's Andy Hoffman from Miles Franklin. Sure those guys have PMs to sell, but I learned a lot from their writings. Hoffman is counting it in a way so the real effective QE is actually about $130 billion. He writes:

"Unfortunately, the giant pink elephant in the room has been entirely ignored.  That is, the massive losses incurred by the Fed’s portfolio as a result of rising interest rates.  To wit, from May 2nd through December 18th, the 10-year yield nearly doubled, from 1.63% to 2.94%.  Consequently, the above calculations heavily understate the actual level of QE; which, in order to maintain the aforementioned $4.0 trillion balance sheet total, had to be increased by a whopping $329 billion to offset an estimated 9% capital loss."

Here is the article, the interesting part starts halfway through:

http://blog.milesfranklin.com/proof-of-the-tapering-mirage
zeetubes

Activity: 371

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 01:06:37 AM

This quote came from the summary of last week's FOMC meeting. I don't really understand how it works or how often it will be used but it implies another non-QE way to keep stoking the markets.

"The Fed also extended an experimental program which it could someday use to manage short-term interest rates. Known as a "reverse repo" facility, the program uses the Fed's portfolio of bonds as collateral for loans to market participants and uses the rate on those loans to influence market rates. The experiment was set to expire Wednesday, but the Fed extended it for a year until Jan. 2015. They increased caps on the size of trades the Fed can make to $5 billion per counterparty from $3 billion"

i.e. we'll taper by $10B but we'll pump that and more back into the markets by any means possible.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 01:17:55 AM

This quote came from the summary of last week's FOMC meeting. I don't really understand how it works or how often it will be used but it implies another non-QE way to keep stoking the markets.

"The Fed also extended an experimental program which it could someday use to manage short-term interest rates. Known as a "reverse repo" facility, the program uses the Fed's portfolio of bonds as collateral for loans to market participants and uses the rate on those loans to influence market rates. The experiment was set to expire Wednesday, but the Fed extended it for a year until Jan. 2015. They increased caps on the size of trades the Fed can make to $5 billion per counterparty from $3 billion"

i.e. we'll taper by $10B but we'll pump that and more back into the markets by any means possible.

Good catch. I did not know anything about that stinky little program ... actually not that little by the sound of it.

Gawd whatta mess. The Fed is now sitting on a pile of debt (some of it unmarketable, i.e. worthless except when using the right 'model') that it bought off busted-ass banks to get it off their books ... now it turns around and posts those bonds as collateral for loans to 'market participants' i.e. probably the same busted-ass banks it bought them off ... it's just lunatic asylum stuff. How many more times can they chase the same crappy debt around the circle and still fool the markets it is worth anything whatsoever?

sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 09:36:22 AM

They increased leveraged essentially because of snowball effect they have to... they can have multiple counterparties... they didnt say what leverage they r getting for that collateral.
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 09:37:54 AM

Wow that article is a pretty big deal, I can't understand how I could miss it, it should be reprinted everywhere.

Yes, please, anyone who hasn't read it, I urge it to.

Ya not many ppl caught it.. i got it the day it came out told all my forex buddies.. ill never forget it.
Dr Bloggood

Activity: 336

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 03:06:50 PM

Good catch. I did not know anything about that stinky little program ... actually not that little by the sound of it.

Gawd whatta mess. The Fed is now sitting on a pile of debt (some of it unmarketable, i.e. worthless except when using the right 'model') that it bought off busted-ass banks to get it off their books ... now it turns around and posts those bonds as collateral for loans to 'market participants' i.e. probably the same busted-ass banks it bought them off ... it's just lunatic asylum stuff. How many more times can they chase the same crappy debt around the circle and still fool the markets it is worth anything whatsoever?

I have never heard of that one either. The MSM don't like to write about it apparently.

5 billion per counterparty sounds like a lot.

So that might be the next step: Reduce public QE, while increasing the QE coming in through the backdoor.
zeetubes

Activity: 371

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 03:31:49 PM

I have never heard of that one either. The MSM don't like to write about it apparently.

5 billion per counterparty sounds like a lot.

So that might be the next step: Reduce public QE, while increasing the QE coming in through the backdoor.

The Fed is literally destroying the world economy and they are the single biggest obstacle to any recovery. I don't care if it is gold or bitcoin that finally fucks them but I suspect that one of them or a combination will finally do it. Best comment I read about the change of Fed ruler is that at least Ben can leave the toilet seat up for his replacement. I bet her computer will still have an "out of CTL-P" key.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 03:56:14 PM

Who bails out the Fed when it is insolvent.  If interest rates start climbing at all, it can wipe them out pretty swiftly.

The IMF?
The US Taxpayer?
Neither of these have the funds to do it.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 04:05:38 PM

Fed files for bankruptcy and govt takes the assets which are worthless.. us govt claimd bankruptcy and owners of bonds are on the hook.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 05:46:23 PM

Who bails out the Fed when it is insolvent.  If interest rates start climbing at all, it can wipe them out pretty swiftly.

The IMF?
The US Taxpayer?

cant they keep printing?

yes

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 05:49:16 PM

those kinda articles enrage the hell outta me.  Matt Taiibi has done some of the best articles on that whole fiasco known as the GFC of 2008-9.  the ripoffs were and are just astounding and were critical in understanding why Bitcoin was destined to do what it has done.  totally unsurprising why we now have the greatest wealth disparity in this country since 1929.
I was so upset reading that article (thanks Taiibi, a rare example of journalism less and less found nowadays), that I had to translate it to Italian (thanks also to a friend that helped me).

So, for the italian ppl here: http://ilporticodipinto.it/content/le-vere-casalinghe-di-wall-street

Thanks so much to sidhujag for sharing: that kind of stuff is exactly why we need Bitcoin more than everything else.

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 06:49:22 PM

I got plenty more:

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/whistleblower-exposes-jp-morgans-silver-manipulation-scheme
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 12:47:48 AM

Isn't this old news? Or did I miss something?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 01:00:41 AM

The IMF?
The US Taxpayer?

I think the fed chooses the interest rate...

The fed *never* goes insolvent, they print whatever they want. The govt might very well. Inflation is the one they don't have any direct control over. They can report it how they wish though.

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 01:01:18 AM

Submitted by Tyler Durden on 03/25/2010

very old

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:14:09 AM

Old is gold lol no its just that these are the inportant ones everyone should know.. The rollingstones one was from 2011 so its old too in that sense
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 04:35:03 AM

The IMF?
The US Taxpayer?

I think the fed chooses the interest rate...

The fed *never* goes insolvent, they print whatever they want. The govt might very well. Inflation is the one they don't have any direct control over. They can report it how they wish though.

Fed chooses the target rate for bonds and the fed funds rate, the market chooses the actual rate for the bonds.
When buying slows the bond rate rises.  For the last few years, the fed has been buying the treasury bonds to keep to its target rate.
This tapering of the buying...  who in their right mind is going to pick up the slack?

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Pages: « 1 ... 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 [380] 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: