Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:29:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 [813] 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032140 times)
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 07:24:04 PM

Answer this,  what ledger with integrity allows part of itself to be cut off from its main body as in NL's SC2 scenario?

What kind of question is this? "What ledger with integrity"?

"What ledger with integrity allows 800,000 of its coin to be lost to Mt.Gox"

The ledger is neutral. Its users decide on the integrity of its use. If they decide to confer some of the main ledger's unit to a corrupted subchain then they are responsible for the ensuing risks. At the end of the day the main ledger is not affected by the failure of one of its sub ledger.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 07:27:53 PM

Answer this,  what ledger with integrity allows part of itself to be cut off from its main body as in NL's SC2 scenario?

The ledger is neutral. Its users decide on the integrity of its use. If they decide to confer some of the main ledger's unit to a corrupted subchain then they are responsible for the ensuing risks. At the end of the day the main ledger is not affected by the failure of one of its sub ledger.

A ledger that allows those gox coins  to simply change hands to those of the attacker,  not one where the coins vaporize.
brg444

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 07:29:11 PM

There you go again.  This was never about taking a set  position and trying to defend that in a fixed goal post  way. This discussion was meant to stimulate imaginative debate about a the possible  cons of SC's. It's about going down one path and being cut off (oops that doesn't work) , going down another path  and getting cut off again (wrong) all the while not giving up until everyone is satisfied.  We are far from that point as i for one am far from satisfied.

Oh please, don't make me have to dig up your old posts. You were literally on a witch hunt for the Blockstream devs and their motives and at one point qualified sidechains unequivocally as "sidescams".

This "higher than thou" attitude your are now parading is quite sickening I might say. This was no brainstorm and discussions "meant to stimulate imaginative debate". Your goal all along was to discredit sidechains and their creators

Desperation devoid of argument.

I love it.

the only desperate person here is you cypher. your motives have been clear and disappointingly dishonest from the start. I am not the only one who has seen through your bullshit. don't think for a second you can claim this "whole excercise" as you say was for the greater good of everyone. we could've arrived at destination much faster if we all didn't have to "show you the light" and debunk your paranoiac hyperbole scenarios

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
brg444

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 07:34:01 PM

A ledger that allows those gox coins  to simply change hands to those of the attacker,  not one where the coins vaporize.

The mechanism by which the sub-ledger is corrupted changes nothing to the argument.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 07:35:41 PM

There you go again.  This was never about taking a set  position and trying to defend that in a fixed goal post  way. This discussion was meant to stimulate imaginative debate about a the possible  cons of SC's. It's about going down one path and being cut off (oops that doesn't work) , going down another path  and getting cut off again (wrong) all the while not giving up until everyone is satisfied.  We are far from that point as i for one am far from satisfied.

Oh please, don't make me have to dig up your old posts. You were literally on a witch hunt for the Blockstream devs and their motives and at one point qualified sidechains unequivocally as "sidescams".

This "higher than thou" attitude your are now parading is quite sickening I might say. This was no brainstorm and discussions "meant to stimulate imaginative debate". Your goal all along was to discredit sidechains and their creators

Desperation devoid of argument.

I love it.

the only desperate person here is you cypher. your motives have been clear and disappointingly dishonest from the start. I am not the only one who has seen through your bullshit. don't think for a second you can claim this "whole excercise" as you say was for the greater good of everyone. we could've arrived at destination much faster if we all didn't have to "show you the light" and debunk your paranoiac hyperbole scenarios

Hey, I'm having fun here. I  enjoy listening to all your ad hominems.

And the only thing I don't care about is my reputation as I don't have anyoneiI need to please except myself knowing that I have no conflict of interest and my motives are pure in simply trying to protect Bitcoin. I honestly doubt you can say the same thing.
brg444

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 07:39:38 PM

And the only thing I don't care about is my reputation as I don't have anyoneiI need to please except myself knowing that I have no conflict of interest and my motives are pure in simply trying to protect Bitcoin. I honestly doubt you can say the same thing.

Roll Eyes

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 07:40:53 PM

The mechanism by which the sub-ledger is corrupted changes nothing to the argument.

Sure it does. The derivative SC's will enable a new type of hack or attack we've never heard of or seen before in Bitcoin. Maybe we can call it the "decapitation attack".
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 07:44:58 PM

Roll Eyes

I sincerely believe that. I can't explain your actions any other way.

Like i said, you're like my shadow defender trying to deny me the ball at every step.
brg444

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 07:47:16 PM

Roll Eyes

Like i said, you're like my shadow defender trying to deny me the ball at every step.

My actions are the result of the witch hunt crusade you have entertained the very moment sidechains were announced. I do not tolerate disinformation and fear mongering and you will see me call you out on it everytime.

brg444

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 07:48:03 PM

Sure it does. The derivative SC's will enable a new type of hack or attack we've never heard of or seen before in Bitcoin. Maybe we can call it the "decapitation attack".

and to that I answer

The risk is the same : to trust your money elsewhere than on the blockchain. The schemes to deceive people into doing so might increase in numbers with sidechain but the risk is the same.

As for your second comment, I'm sorry but they absolutely should understand it. It is the very principle of Bitcoin : creating a trustless environment. It took a long time for Bitcoin to establish this status and it should be obvious that any step outside of its circle exposes you to risk that should be accounted for.

Also, I have some difficulty with your proposition that "ordinary people" will be trusting their money to all kind of obscure sidechains. Ordinary people only trust mainstream and established platforms. It is very unlikely the majority of them will fall victim to overlycomplicated schemes.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 07:53:52 PM

Roll Eyes

My actions are the result of the witch hunt crusade you have entertained the very moment sidechains were announced. I do not tolerate disinformation and fear mongering and you will see me call you out on it everytime.

Ooh, now we're talking about witch hunts.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 08:48:55 PM

Answer this,  what ledger with integrity allows part of itself to be cut off from its main body as in NL's SC2 scenario?

A ledger that allows those gox coins  to simply change hands to those of the attacker,  not one where the coins vaporize.

and to that I answer

The risk is the same : to trust your money elsewhere than on the blockchain. The schemes to deceive people into doing so might increase in numbers with sidechain but the risk is the same.

As for your second comment, I'm sorry but they absolutely should understand it. It is the very principle of Bitcoin : creating a trustless environment. It took a long time for Bitcoin to establish this status and it should be obvious that any step outside of its circle exposes you to risk that should be accounted for.

Also, I have some difficulty with your proposition that "ordinary people" will be trusting their money to all kind of obscure sidechains. Ordinary people only trust mainstream and established platforms. It is very unlikely the majority of them will fall victim to overlycomplicated schemes.

so by avoiding the question, i can only conclude you agree with me, they are in fact different ledgers.

and as a result, you move your goalposts once again and say a fool will be a fool, which in fact has been my argument all along.
brg444

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 08:51:11 PM

so by avoiding the question, i can only conclude you agree with me, they are in fact different ledgers.

and as a result, you move your goalposts once again and say a fool will be a fool, which in fact has been my argument all along.

yes they are different ledger deriving their monetary unit from one main ledger. their ledger are effectively sub ledgers within the main ledger. is there something you don't understand in there?

what does this have to do with malicious schemes causing people to lose money anyway?

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 09:06:23 PM

yes they are different ledger deriving their monetary unit from one main ledger. their ledger are effectively sub ledgers within the main ledger. is there something you don't understand in there?

what does this have to do with malicious schemes causing people to lose money anyway?

ok, let me ask you again.  this time answer.

what honest, immutable ledger allows part of itself to be cut off permanently from its main database, not to mention the fact that it may not even know about it?
brg444

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 09:12:51 PM

ok, let me ask you again.  this time answer.

what honest, immutable ledger allows part of itself to be cut off permanently from its main database, not to mention the fact that it may not even know about it?

Playing with words is not helping your argument.

"Cut off" or "lost" is the same thing really so the Mt Gox analogy still applies. Also, in Mt.Gox's case, the ledger does not know whether the coins are lost or owned by a malicious owner.

"Part of itself" = the units. Whether the sub ledger containing these units is centralized or decentralized makes no difference.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 09:24:22 PM

"Cut off" or "lost" is the same thing really so the Mt Gox analogy still applies. Also, in Mt.Gox's case, the ledger does not know whether the coins are lost or owned by a malicious owner.

"Part of itself" = the units. Whether the sub ledger containing these units is centralized or decentralized makes no difference.

trying to obfuscate by using the term "subledger" is playing with words.  SC's are different ledgers with different security and economic assumptions and offerings.  we've already agreed on this.  you just forgot.

the gox analogy is not good b/c it involves a SC1 once removed from Bitcoin.  in NL's example, he was talking about SC's/ledgers twice removed or more getting "decapitated" by SC1 malfeasance.  we've never seen anything like that in Bitcoin; ever.  it's a new risk.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2014, 09:38:16 PM

it's a new risk.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
brg444

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 09:39:03 PM

trying to obfuscate by using the term "subledger" is playing with words.  SC's are different ledgers with different security and economic assumptions and offerings.  we've already agreed on this.  you just forgot.

the gox analogy is not good b/c it involves a SC1 once removed from Bitcoin.  in NL's example, he was talking about SC's/ledgers twice removed or more getting "decapitated" by SC1 malfeasance.  we've never seen anything like that in Bitcoin; ever.  it's a new risk.

No subledger is IMO a very appropriate term. SC's ledger being supported by monetary units derived from the main chain, it is only right to call them subledgers and not primary ledgers on their own right.

In NL's example, the risk is inherant to the corruption of SC1, so it does not matter if the coin is now on SC2-3-4-5. If these sit on top of SC1 then the root of the risk is on SC1, therefore, as I continue to try to explain to you, the risk is always reside in moving your coin off the mainchain to a malicious or corrupted subledger.

Coins stuck on SC2 or SC1 affect the user and Bitcoin in the same way so it is not a "new" risk to either of them

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 09:47:34 PM

lol
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2014, 09:50:39 PM
Last edit: November 08, 2014, 10:02:32 PM by NewLiberty

We can add a little more complexity.  Maybe this will help...

MC
 |   \
SC1 SC3
 |   /
SC2

So now SC2 has coins from MC derived through both SC1 and SC3, but SC1 is a dead chain and will no longer support SPV back to MC (say for sake of discussion that devs can inflate at will and syphon off any that get SPV'd back from SC2 so no one will ever do it).

SC2 is still an active and tradable asset with MC

How many ledgers do we have?
Is this a new risk or is there another way to do this without Side Chains?

(There is a lot more complexity that can be added.)  Some economists would suggest that complexity is itself a risk, so any new "feature" would potentially add this sort of risk in the amount that the new features are useful or powerful.

FWIW, in my model, there are 4 ledgers here, its a new risk, but Side Chains are still a worthwhile innovation... So long as people understand what they are and aren't confused by folks that blindly advocate them as the perfect solution to everything.

It is nuanced.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Pages: « 1 ... 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 [813] 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: