Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:38:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 [1143] 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 ... 1315 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][BURST] Burst | Efficient HDD Mining | New 1.2.3 Fork block 92000  (Read 2170603 times)
pinballdude

Activity: 286
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 11:39:48 AM

Was wondering, what does it cost to get the 4PB needed right now to do a 51% attack.

i bought 2 8TB HDD for 289 usd each, so 8TB is 289 usd at least where i live.

8 TB 289 usd
1 TB 36 usd

1000 TB 36000 usd

but you need 4 TB

so you need to have 144000 usd tied up in harddisks, and some more money tied up in hardware to run these, and spend some time setting up, to get at half our current network size

if you succeed, all you can do is prevent blocks from other ppl to be made. You will also crash the price, and probably close the exchanges, as they likely won't like to be trading a 51% attacked coin

burst mkcap is lower than 144000 usd, so it hardly looks like money well spent.

Perhaps it can be much cheaper if you rent the disks, but then you will have a huge running cost.

Each time network size go up 1 TB, it gets 36000 usd more expensive to launch an attack.

bobafett

Activity: 619
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 12:35:55 PM

Was wondering, what does it cost to get the 4PB needed right now to do a 51% attack.

8 TB 289 usd
1 TB 36 usd

1000 TB 36000 usd

but you need 4 TB

so you need to have 144000 usd tied up in harddisks, and some more money tied up in hardware to run these, and spend some time setting up, to get at half our current network size

if you succeed, all you can do is prevent blocks from other ppl to be made. You will also crash the price, and probably close the exchanges, as they likely won't like to be trading a 51% attacked coin

Perhaps it can be much cheaper if you rent the disks, but then you will have a huge running cost.

Each time network size go up 1 TB, it gets 36000 usd more expensive to launch an attack.

you can also rent a machine, so if someone wants to make this attack, he only need a short time this power, and if he rents this, this would be cheaper than your calc.
wmikrut

Activity: 631
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 12:38:05 PM

8 TB 289 usd
1 TB 36 usd

1000 TB 36000 usd

but you need 4 TB

you can also rent a machine, so if someone wants to make this attack, he only need a short time this power, and if he rents this, this would be cheaper than your calc.

Even if you did... the plotting alone would take weeks.

I will NEVER ask for any kind of funds up front in a buy/sale of anything on bitcointalk.

BM-2cTFihJKmSwusMAoYuUHPvpx56Jozv64KK
12gaFacelift

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 01:05:50 PM

Sad thing to see that pool offline: http://cryptomining.farm/

Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience. ~ *CANADA ONLY* Colloidal Silver Wire Rod - 12 Gauge Pure Silver .9999 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=775964.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=731923.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1323657.0
Elmit

Activity: 785

BURST got Smart Contracts (AT)

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 01:39:41 PM

cryptomining.farm has been down since noon, this is the loss in network power today.

just use my http://pool.burstcoin.de
100% available since weeks because of a failover config!
ultra fast connection and extreme low ping times!

Can you tell me more about your "failover config"?

Are you running to complete set of servers?
On different networks?
Do they have the ability to talk to each other/sync till the point of failure?
How will the miner switch to the backup server? How, if this switch is the failure?
How did they switch back, if at all, since the other one could now run till a failure happens to switch to the first one.
("because of failover config:) How often was your failover actual needed?

"extreme low ping times"
That is a number of the network. Nowadays most of the servers are nearly in lightspeed reachable, so the ping result depends just from where you ping. I found there is still a difference if you use IPv4 or IPv6

hi,
you take 2 pysical maschines with win2012 r2 and both have 2 networkadapters.
with one networkadapter you connect them directly for the sync of the vm, the others you connect to your gateway.
use a business gateway with a sla with a availability of 99.999% (sure its expensive, but for other purposes i have one). so you have garantied working line for exept 4h a year.

then configure hyper failover clustering
setup a vm
setup failover clustering for this vm
install your pool
setup a service tool that checks if the service runs, if not restart it and let wallet and pool software monitor
then on a third maschine confige a network managing tool as PRTG Network Monitor and let check the maschines, services, availbility and confige a email and sms info, if something goes wrong.

finish :-)

The first line sounds for me expensive: (Windows !!! - but don't lets start about Linux versa Windows ;-)  )

Do you have any numbers how often the failover has been triggered?

Ing. Ronald Wiplinger (@ ELMIT)   Blog and pools: http://mininghere.com  CAT info at: https://cat.elmit.com  Tel.: (O) +886 (0)2--2623-3117, (M) +886 (0) 988--70-77-42, Telegram: @RonaldPhone
Elmit

Activity: 785

BURST got Smart Contracts (AT)

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 01:44:32 PM

8 TB 289 usd
1 TB 36 usd

1000 TB 36000 usd

but you need 4 TB

Even if you did... the plotting alone would take weeks.

I assume that you do not have much yet and the network size is currently 12 PB, then you would need (12+6)/2 = 9 PB to reach the 50%
If you would mine during the plotting time, then the network would recognize it and most likely also react with more PBs.

Ing. Ronald Wiplinger (@ ELMIT)   Blog and pools: http://mininghere.com  CAT info at: https://cat.elmit.com  Tel.: (O) +886 (0)2--2623-3117, (M) +886 (0) 988--70-77-42, Telegram: @RonaldPhone
BurstIncomeAsset

Activity: 504
Merit: 511

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 03:29:10 PM

Alright we got another  0.16504886BTC capital from the BURST sale, now we have 0.28493223BTC invested, so we will have double earnings in terms of BTC. Obviously the % ROI won't change, but due to capital doubling, the profit will double too.

I hope we can reach the 0.01BTC fast, so that we can give out our first dividends Smiley

[ANN] Income Asset - Decentralized Referral Empire based Income
wmikrut

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 05:52:06 PM

I assume that you do not have much yet and the network size is currently 12 PB, then you would need (12+6)/2 = 9 PB to reach the 50%
If you would mine during the plotting time, then the network would recognize it and most likely also react with more PBs.
I have more than the average person... as far as plotted disks go.

I will NEVER ask for any kind of funds up front in a buy/sale of anything on bitcointalk.

crowetic
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1072

https://crowetic.com | https://qortal.org

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 06:09:47 PM

Bitladen asset?  Shocked Crowetic are You reading what You are proposing?  Huh Giving money to wannabe 51% attacker to expand portion of mining volume he is controlling right now? Yeah, sure...  Tongue
I'm switching to solo-mining just to prevent this "greedynitis" spread to pool owners...

I am not sure what you are trying to utter here!

Can you tell us clear what you agree/disagree and why?
I am not sure why switching to solo-mining would be an advantage. Can you explain that too, please?

Suppose bitladen manages to threat or lure a pool into participating in a 51% attack.  Then all the miners in the pool participate even though they don't want to see the coin destroyed. Especially the miners that mine and keep burst are royally screwed.

on the other hand, if they go solo (or go to a pool they expect not willing to participate) , they mine against the attacker.

Just so that everyone knows, my original statement holds true. My pool will never participate in an attack against the BURST network. Regardless of my friendship with anyone.

Anyone who knows me, also knows that I am true to my word.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
             ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
          ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓              ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
  ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒                          ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒                            ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                              ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒                              ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒                               ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                      ▒▓▓▓▓▓▒    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▓▓▓▓▓
  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓              ▒▒▒▒▒▒     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▒    ▓▓▓
   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓              ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒              ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓              ▓▓▓▓▓▓▒    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒            ▓▓▓▓▓▓▒    ▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▒   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
           ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
              ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
                   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

ORTAL
    ..Web and Application hosting.
     ⊙ decentralized infrastructure
    ..leveling and voting.
| https://qortal.org - Infrastructure for the future World
            Founder/current dev group facilitator
[/td][/tr][/table]

[/table]
crowetic
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 06:10:46 PM

Bitladen asset?  Shocked Crowetic are You reading what You are proposing?  Huh Giving money to wannabe 51% attacker to expand portion of mining volume he is controlling right now? Yeah, sure...  Tongue
I'm switching to solo-mining just to prevent this "greedynitis" spread to pool owners...

Did you forget to read the part that this would also include bit agreeing to revoke his 'threat' and no longer be someone we'd have to worry about attacking the network? Is this not a good thing?

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
              ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
                   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

ORTAL
    ..leveling and voting.
[/td][/tr][/table]

[/table]
crowetic
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 06:16:07 PM
Last edit: September 12, 2015, 06:51:28 PM by crowetic

Bitladen asset?  Shocked Crowetic are You reading what You are proposing?  Huh Giving money to wannabe 51% attacker to expand portion of mining volume he is controlling right now? Yeah, sure...  Tongue

its all about money and if people until now didnt realise that also crow is here for the money, at least now it should be clear. but that is nothing that you can blame anybody for.

Not that I am complaining, mind you... but in crow's defense, isn't that why we're all here?
We're all here to make 'something'.

Call it whatever you like, but all cryptos are an 'investment' into {Place your noun here}.

@boba

I've paid out WAY more than I've made with BURST. To be clear.

Also, I continue to pay out even though I have to pay for my pool host with my own money, and the pool fee goes ENTIRELY to my asset, along with a 30TB miner. While your asset pays HALF your pool fee and no miner. Tell me who cares more about money.

Also, wasn't it you that said when BURST went below 100sat that you'd sell and be gone? Oh wait, maybe that was in core team chat.

I resent being called greedy when I've done nothing but positive work for the coin, and facilitated development of the most popular pool, from the ground up. Setup one of the most solid and best assets, and promoted the hell out of the coin on my own dollar.

I would think everyone should see this. My feelings on your post would be that you're still upset with me for calling things as I saw them with your little 'vacation' and stunt you pulled with your asset.

I hold true to what I said then on how I feel about that. I still think what was done was at best shady. I contacted you multiple times with over a week between in most cases before bringing it public. To give benefit of the doubt to you. During these contacts, the sell that pushed me over the edge as far as viewing the situation as scammy behaviour happened. Now riddle me this... if you had net access to post this sell, wouldn't you have had net access to reply to one of my contact attempts?

So please, let us just agree to disagree on the 'methods' you used at that time, and agree that we don't like eachother, and let it be huh? I don't want any more negativity in this thread if possible, and actually, I am hoping the community can come to at least enough of an agreement so that I can start a new OP and we can get off this thread completely.

IMO the thread as it is doesn't leave BURST looking professional, and my goal is to professionalize it with many different projects, including ByteEnterprises, which I have a new direction for in the coming weeks.

Agree with my choice in people I think are okay and the ones I don't, or not... I think we should at least agree on the above mentioned thoughts on how to handle our personal situation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@community

Everyone here who has seen all that I've worked to accomplish from the beginning of BURST, should know by now that I want this coin to succeed. My recent suggestions for change were based on things I've seen with this coin and others, and what I believe based on conversation with many people. I don't immediately agree with someone in any situation, ever, and I never will.

I have my own mind regardless of my agreement with someone. This should really be shown duly by the fact that I'm not afraid to say that I consider bitladen a friend. I can see how a lot of you would not feel that way, but this isn't based on only public communication as most likely your decisions are.

I will never go with something just because other people do, and I will also try my best to get more agreement than not before making a decision if it is a situation where I maintain control.

I see the both sides of most arguments, and can easily argue on either, it is just a natrual part of my personality type (which is not a very common type.) So I can see how some people may see me as 'crazy' or whatever they may in certain situations. However, I assure you, I am not crazy.

I'm probably one of the most considerate 'leader' types you will ever come across. I love to get everyone else's full opinions on situations and why they feel that way before coming to a conclusion of my own. Sometimes my conclusion will coincide, and sometimes it will not, but that's just how things go.

What I'm trying to say here, is I have always, and will always, wish a prosperous future for BURST, and I will definitely be a part of it. That is not to say that I may not also want to be in a similar position in a clone if it comes about, as I do believe it is mainly the underlying technology that is most important in the coin, and obviously a clone would contain that as well. The rest of the structure is debatable as far as the outcome (obviously, as most things, especially market type stuff, and more especially crypto/altcoin markets.) They could both very well succeed, and also the measure of success is different for everyone, and the length of time it takes to get there will also vary.

Most everything has so many possible outcomes, and arguments for and against them, contemplating large decisions in things we all love and hope to be successful could take a while and shouldn't be done in a hasty manner.

We shall see how things unfold and what is or isn't in the future, when we get there.

Thanks everyone, and a prosperous future to BURST, all of its futuristic technological power, and for sure the algorithm we know to be the true decentralized power efficient future of true mining... PoC.

That's all for now. Tongue

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
              ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
                   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

ORTAL
    ..leveling and voting.
[/td][/tr][/table]

[/table]
q327K091
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 07:35:13 PM

well said above, you know for all the talk,, network is being mined and block rewards are getting progressively less, they will reach less and less BURST and less than 1% of the US population knows BURST exists let alone how to mine it

believe that crypto currencies are the future of not just replacement for FIAT but for other things I am telling you you have something special here, just don't drop the ball

as far as pools, seeing > 400 miners on burst ninja,, steady as she goes network capacity oscillates as low as 4 to 12 Peta, but rewards is 1/2 circa in what it used to be

cost for me running the drives is minimal in addition I mine 2 other coins all at once, believe many do the same thing

when block reward drops less and less, believe energy has to go to type of work of what ethereum is doing and assets but they have capital

we shall see, I really like this POC.. mainly because of how low on energy it is... so it can be mined in parallel but also it can be mined where electricity is expensive

at 1/2 of initial block reward if you get decent few USB drives you still can scoop hundreds of thousands of BURST, just saying

and why people sell for so little (in general) because that < 1% that knows how crypto works are kids < 20 years of age and for em 50 bucks is a lot of money  Cool
wmikrut

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 08:05:07 PM

How do you +1 two posts in a row!   Grin

crowetic
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 08:33:32 PM

Side note, I posted a 4TB SAS Western Digital RE HDD for sale on the marketplace. I realize that 135 dollars in BURST is a lot right now, so I'll accept BTC or XMR too.

BURST-79PK-DGC2-M4XP-HUAVB - my account

and if someone in this community wants it, I'll definitely negotiate on the price. I'm not 100% sure what it is actually worth at the moment.

Thanks!

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
              ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
                   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

ORTAL
    ..leveling and voting.
[/td][/tr][/table]

[/table]
yeponlyone

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 08:42:10 PM
Last edit: September 12, 2015, 09:17:05 PM by yeponlyone

http://cryptoasset.fund/

Cryptoasset.fund invests in cryptocurrency related projects listed at NXT Asset Exchange crowdfunding platform. It allows cryptocurrency enthusiasts to participate in funding of cryptostartups and diversify it among various projects.

Edit, Also Nick Szabo will be talking Smart Contract on "Let's Talk Bitcoin! #246" - https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/lets-talk-bitcoin-246-smart-contracts-with-nick-szabo

Seems it's possible to download the talk from SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/mindtomatter/ltb-e246-smart-contracts-with-nick-szabo
BurstIncomeAsset

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 11:19:02 PM

We are really getting pumped hard, the INCOME asset is getting 500,000-2,000,000 BURST volume in the last 48 hours.

This has helped us to expand our funds, now we got 0.415 BTC invested in the casino investment program.

[ANN] Income Asset - Decentralized Referral Empire based Income

First dividend payout, after 0.01 BTC profit, which, at current pace (linear forecast estimation), will be in 7.5 days.

If we get more funding in the next couple of days then it will be proportionally faster, relative to the new capital.

The new median, based on all previous observation's moving average is (average) 0.24224% ROI/day, so you can use this to linearly forecast how fast our funds will grow Smiley

wmikrut

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2015, 01:25:06 AM

... and people say nobody ever does anything with Burst.

BurstIncomeAsset

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 01:51:21 AM

... and people say nobody ever does anything with Burst.

If you mean in terms of me working to help BURST gain value, then it is true. We all need to take our part in helping BURST.

If you mean in terms of using BURST then you are right, people need to use BURST for something.

Let's face it BURST is an inflationary cryptocurrency, it is not fiat, but it is inflationary. If they just sit their BURST in their address, then the price decrease (mostly caused by inflation) will eat it away.

This is why people should create, and invest in assets to gain ROI and dividends that surpass the inflation of BURST. Not just in INCOME, but I also recommend BYTEENT, and a little bit of solarfarm if their mining operation goes well.

(I`m not familiar with the other assets, so my apologies if I forgot some other good BURST assets)

It's the same thing how regular investors invest in the stock market to avoid fiat inflation, we do the same in the crypto world.
wmikrut

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2015, 02:00:54 AM

I wish we had an exchange for services site that accepted Burst.
There are several sites I use regularly that accept BTC/Alts for payment.

I am not just talking about in wallet marketplace.

That does work, but there is no topology to view all the items for sale... you need to know an individuals ID to view their inventory.
A 'public' store to the in wallet marketplace would be a great place to start.

Irontiga

Activity: 588

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 03:37:49 AM

I wish we had an exchange for services site that accepted Burst.
There are several sites I use regularly that accept BTC/Alts for payment.

I am not just talking about in wallet marketplace.

That does work, but there is no topology to view all the items for sale... you need to know an individuals ID to view their inventory.
A 'public' store to the in wallet marketplace would be a great place to start.

http://burstcoin.info/market

But i agree, we need more businesses accepting Burst Cheesy
Pages: « 1 ... 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 [1143] 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 ... 1315 »
  Print  

Jump to: