Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:33:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 [371] 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 ... 814 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [1500 TH] p2pool: Decentralized, DoS-resistant, Hop-Proof pool  (Read 2591571 times)
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 02:20:54 AM
Last edit: January 18, 2014, 02:39:35 AM by mdude77

Frowned upon by whom? There is no pool operator to whom you would be paying fees.

The p2pool community.  Last I checked default was 1.5% maybe 2%, I forget.  It's been a while.

Very few pools pay transaction fees, merged mine for the benefit of the miner, and don't charge a fee. It costs money to run a pool, where do you think that money comes from?

Every one I've seen does.  Granted I haven't looked in a while.  

The money comes from pool fees.

You don't know with certainty who is untrustworthy until after they have been discovered to be untrustworthy (or incompetent). As you say the risk of being cheated is there, so the "expected" earnings are lower, even if the adverse event hasn't happened yet.

The majority that were here 2 years ago are still here.  Those that have proven themselves worthy have a big slice of the pie (BTC Guild..)

The higher expected earnings come from the combination of no fees, paying tx fees, merged mining, reduced orphan risk with p2pool, and no risk of cheating by the pool operator.

Merged mining?  The average person can not successfully solo merge mine.
IXcoin difficulty: 750million
DevCoin difficulty: 972million
NameCoin difficulty: 1.5billion

Even if they could, conventional pools merge mine as well ... certainly no advantage there.

For reference, I'm using BTC Guild.  I get tx fees, I have NMC merged mining (ixc/dvc are worthless), and am paid for orphans.

It doesn't really work that way. 80% of the time your share will be accepted! All this means is that instead of a 4 day average time (if that is the number), you have a 5 day average share time.

Um, if average time to share is 4 days ... then it's 4 days.  No exceptions for getting a reject.

These rejects don't mean the same thing. If the pool average is 19% (I didn't realize it was that high) and your reject rate is 19% then you haven't lost any earnings at all.  You are on par with all the other pool members so when it comes time to divide up the blocks you will get your proportional share.

You're comparing with others in p2pool.  I'm comparing with non p2pool.

M

EDIT: added difficulties and BTC Guild info.

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iongchun

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 02:42:34 AM

You're comparing with others in p2pool.  I'm comparing with non p2pool.

M

You could think in p2pool way.
If your good share rate is higher/lower than others in p2pool,
your average income is higher/lower than others in non-p2pool.
Then take low miner fee, tx fee, p2p, and coinbase tx as pros, and higher variance as cons.

Bitcoin: 1NFMpJUW7sTKmnVKj12MxhPvCvzAKQ5gUV
Namecoin: N5Tnt3JyMeizsoAFAZDr7CSxjzDtPSisK8
Mining with P2Pool. Graph. Blocks.
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 02:49:12 AM

M

Then take low miner fee, tx fee, p2p, and coinbase tx as pros, and higher variance as cons.

I pay 3% at BTC Guild.  I get paid for orphans, I get merged mining with NMC (impossible on p2pool solo), extremely low variance, 0.2% stales, and transaction fees.

You're going to have a hard time convincing me p2pool is better than that.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 03:03:43 AM

M

Also, unless things have changed, p2pool can not be reliably run on a home DSL connection.  That means folks like myself have to use a public node or suffer higher than normal rejects (and normal is high enough thank you!).  That means you have two choices: trust the op of that public node, or get higher rejects.  Both negate two supposed benefits of p2pool.

M

iongchun

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 12:09:59 PM

I pay 3% at BTC Guild.  I get paid for orphans, I get merged mining with NMC (impossible on p2pool solo), extremely low variance, 0.2% stales, and transaction fees.

M

I don't want to convince you, because we value the benefit of mining differently.
Especially the decentralization and variance part.

Bitcoin: 1NFMpJUW7sTKmnVKj12MxhPvCvzAKQ5gUV
Namecoin: N5Tnt3JyMeizsoAFAZDr7CSxjzDtPSisK8
Mining with P2Pool. Graph. Blocks.
alanwgeorge

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 05:24:32 PM

I was wondering how to get on this list?  I thought it might auto-populate but that doesn't seem to happen.

http://p2pool-nodes.info/

Wanted to add:
199.83.221.146:9332

Thanks,
-alan
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 05:37:19 PM

M

I don't want to convince you, because we value the benefit of mining differently.

I'm not following how you value increased variance.  Most people consider variance to be a bad thing.

Decentralization I can understand and agree with.  If I had the hashpower so that the current almost 1 million share difficulty didn't cause huge variance (or p2pool was changed so share difficulty didn't effectively lock out low end miners), and I could run p2pool locally, I would be a p2pool miner (again) as well.  Using a public node defeats the whole purpose of decentralization.

M

Krak

Activity: 591
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 05:45:30 PM

I was wondering how to get on this list?  I thought it might auto-populate but that doesn't seem to happen.

Wanted to add:

Thanks,
-alan
Do you have the ports forwarded? It can take a bit for it to show up on the site.

BTC: 1KrakenLFEFg33A4f6xpwgv3UUoxrLPuGn
alanwgeorge

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 05:51:07 PM

Wanted to add:

Thanks,
-alan
Do you have the ports forwarded? It can take a bit for it to show up on the site.

Yes it's forwarded, http://199.83.221.146:9332/static/ should be accessible and I am getting inbound p2pool traffic.
alanwgeorge

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 06:07:28 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2014, 07:06:10 PM by alanwgeorge

I pay 3% at BTC Guild.  I get paid for orphans, I get merged mining with NMC (impossible on p2pool solo), extremely low variance, 0.2% stales, and transaction fees.

M

I'm not following how you value increased variance.  Most people consider variance to be a bad thing.

Decentralization I can understand and agree with.  If I had the hashpower so that the current almost 1 million share difficulty didn't cause huge variance (or p2pool was changed so share difficulty didn't effectively lock out low end miners), and I could run p2pool locally, I would be a p2pool miner (again) as well.  Using a public node defeats the whole purpose of decentralization.

M

More hashpower is never going to reduce the variance compared to other pools.  You may get more shares on p2pool with more hashpower, but you will also get more shares on the other pools with same amount of hashes.  So I imagine you would still complain about "variance" even if you had more hashpower.  Shares on p2pool are far more valuable than other pools.  So in the long term, all other things being equal, it should be a wash, luck playing a big part.  The p2pool difficulty is reflected in the time it takes to generate a p2pool block.  The target being 10 seconds I believe.  The only way to reduce difficulty is to reduce this target time of 10 seconds (or reduce the total hashpower in the pool).  Reducing target time would have other consequences that I'm not sure you would be pleased with.  The effects of latency are already high.  Reducing target time would magnify those, if I understand correctly.  The sensitivity to latencies maybe the underlying cause behind your earlier comment, "p2pool can not be reliably run on a home DSL connection".  Which is not true, at least for me.  Anyhoo, sounds to me like having a constant trickle of payout no matter how small, is important to you.  I would suggest BTCGiuld is the right place for your hashes.
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 06:52:11 PM

More hashpower is never going to reduce the variance compared to other pools.  You may get more shares on p2pool with more hashpower, but you will also get more shares on the other pools with same amount of hashes.  So I imagine you would still complain about "variance" even if you had more hashpower.  Shares on p2pool are far more valuable than other pools.  So in the long term, all other things being equal, it should be a wash, luck playing a big part.  The p2pool difficulty is reflected in the time it takes to generate a p2pool block.  The target being 10 seconds I believe.  The only way to reduce difficulty is to reduce this target time of 10 seconds (or reduce the total hashpower in the pool).  Reducing target time would have other consequences that I'm not sure you would be pleased with.  The effects of latency are already high.  Reducing target time would magnify those, if I understand correctly.  The sensitivity to latencies maybe the underlying cause behind your earlier comment, "p2pool can not be reliably run on a home DSL connection".  Which is not true, at least from me.  Anyhoo, sounds to me like having a constant trickle of payout no matter how small, is important to you.  I would suggest BTCGiuld is the right place for your hashes.

More hashpower *will* reduce variance on p2pool.  It means more shares, which means more regular payouts.

I've been around since p2pool was a toddler.  I believe the changes made that spike the share difficulty up were to address the issues p2pool had with ASICs.  Now many ASICs work, but if you have small hashpower, you still get extreme variance because getting over that 1m difficulty share with a 15-20% chance of being rejected is hard.

M

gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 10:15:42 PM

M

I pay what I want to forrestv.
P2Pool has a negligible amount of orphans (didn't even find one in the last 200 known p2pool blocks).
I get merged mining with NMC, IXC, DVC (and could add any other merge-able coin I deem worth it).
Variance is only a problem if you don't earn much on p2pool (maybe then it doesn't really matter where you mine). You can actually verify this with merged mined coins: they work OK but as it's solo mining variance is really high and NMC blocks are a rare but nice bonus.
Stales % doesn't matter on p2pool only efficiency and I'm at 100+%.
p2pool pays transaction fees.

And I run it on a DSL line...

I only use centralized pools as backups and really don't see how I would benefit from switching to any of them. Even if I had a whole week of downtime right now on p2pool I still would have earned more than on any theoretical 100% up centralized pool (which actually have downtime when they are DoSed).

By the way, look at the current IXC and DVC difficulty (43% and 64% of BTC difficulty). This means that at least 40% of the miners are merge-mining IXC and 60% are merge-mining DVC (I'm pretty sure nobody is mining these coins expecting a profit unless they are using merge-mining).
Do you think these miners are aware they do mine IXC and/or DVC and get the relevant income?

No : they are mined by centralized pools and most keep the income for themselves and AFAIK don't even tell their miners about it. When you use p2pool you can at least fully control what your hash power is used for.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
smoothrunnings

Activity: 616

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 10:26:21 PM

How do I get the p2pool pages for /users/ /local_stats/ etc looking pleasing instead of lines of word wrapped text?

Also I have the latest version installed and /graphs/ doesn't work telling me "no such resource" is this normal?

Thanks
alanwgeorge

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 10:42:05 PM

How do I get the p2pool pages for /users/ /local_stats/ etc looking pleasing instead of lines of word wrapped text?

Also I have the latest version installed and /graphs/ doesn't work telling me "no such resource" is this normal?

Thanks

https://github.com/hardcpp/P2PoolExtendedFrontEnd
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 10:47:15 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2014, 11:20:20 PM by mdude77

I pay what I want to forrestv.
P2Pool has a negligible amount of orphans (didn't even find one in the last 200 known p2pool blocks).
I get merged mining with NMC, IXC, DVC (and could add any other merge-able coin I deem worth it).
Variance is only a problem if you don't earn much on p2pool (maybe then it doesn't really matter where you mine). You can actually verify this with merged mined coins: they work OK but as it's solo mining variance is really high and NMC blocks are a rare but nice bonus.
Stales % doesn't matter on p2pool only efficiency and I'm at 100+%.
p2pool pays transaction fees.

And I run it on a DSL line...

YMMV.  My DSL line can't take the bandwidth.  I seem you recall you saying earlier (I think it was you) that p2pool doesn't run well on the average home DSL line.

Remember the 100+% efficiency is compared to other p2pool users, not compared to conventional pools.  I'm sure with a little tweaking I could get below the current p2pool average of 19%.  It's still magnitudes more than I get on a conventional pool.

I only use centralized pools as backups and really don't see how I would benefit from switching to any of them. Even if I had a whole week of downtime right now on p2pool I still would have earned more than on any theoretical 100% up centralized pool (which actually have downtime when they are DoSed).

BTC Guild had a huge DDOS not that long ago.  It stayed up.

By the way, look at the current IXC and DVC difficulty (43% and 64% of BTC difficulty). This means that at least 40% of the miners are merge-mining IXC and 60% are merge-mining DVC (I'm pretty sure nobody is mining these coins expecting a profit unless they are using merge-mining).
Do you think these miners are aware they do mine IXC and/or DVC and get the relevant income?

No : they are mined by centralized pools and most keep the income for themselves and AFAIK don't even tell their miners about it. When you use p2pool you can at least fully control what your hash power is used for.

That's an interesting point.

It doesn't mean I can successfully merge mine them though.  Did you see what I posted for IXC, DVC, and NMC difficulty?  It's like playing the lottery trying to solo mine them, which is what you're doing if you merge mine them with p2pool.  I'm better off not merge mining them and save some bandwidth.

You seem to distrust pool operators.  I happen to trust mine, and I am certain I do better on BTC Guild than I would on p2pool.  If I had the bandwidth and more hashpower, I'd use p2pool.  But I don't... I've been effectively squeezed out.  And I'm not alone.

M

EDIT: I guess my point is p2pool isn't for everyone.  True supporters of the p2pool concept acknowledge that.  The rest treat p2pool as a religion, as from their perspective, anyone who has a problem must not have their settings right or not understand the system.

smoothrunnings

Activity: 616

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 11:17:10 PM

Thanks

Sorry when it says put these files in your web-static folder, does it just mean the files or do I need to download the folders too? (just wondering so I am not doing something tiwce)
alanwgeorge

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 11:21:53 PM

Thanks

Sorry when it says put these files in your web-static folder, does it just mean the files or do I need to download the folders too? (just wondering so I am not doing something tiwce)

$ cd p2pool
$ mv web-static web-static.orig
$ unzip P2PoolExtendedFrontEnd.zip
$ mv P2PoolExtendedFrontEnd web-static

from browser hit you 9332 port, you should see improved UI.

-alan
gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 11:47:44 PM

EDIT: I guess my point is p2pool isn't for everyone.  True supporters of the p2pool concept acknowledge that.  The rest treat p2pool as a religion, as from their perspective, anyone who has a problem must not have their settings right or not understand the system.

There are people with a setup that can't work well with p2pool whatever they try (ASICMiner blades, clogged or unreliable Internet connectivity for example) but there are people who don't understand how to tune a p2pool setup to work well on their environment too.

Given that p2pool can be configured to use less than 20KB/s and bitcoind tuned to use even less, people with DSL should all be able to use p2pool. The only ways someone can't use p2pool on a link that provides at least 512kbps in both directions I can think of are:
  • not knowing how to configure p2pool and bitcoind for low bandwidth,
  • not knowing how or being able to use QoS to give priority to p2pool and bitcoind,
  • needing the bandwidth for something else,
  • unreliable connectivity

On a related subject variance importance is often blown out of proportions and people willingly choose pools that pay between 3 and 5% less monthly because p2pool pays less nearly one day out of two. This behavior is not limited to pool choice: many forfeit long term gains for short term gains in most domains.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 11:50:16 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2014, 12:15:02 AM by mdude77

Just for comparison... since the common belief is that the high variance and high share difficulty doesn't affect your payout, let's compare.

I have 38GH/s.  It's a cube, I brought it online almost 13 days ago, pointing to BTC Guild.  Since then my total payout has been 0.12764.  According to BTCGuild stats, we're at 99.7% luck for the last 14 days, so I'm pretty close to "average" payout.  I'm not counting the ~0.21 NMC I've earned.

Can someone who has significantly larger hashrate post their comparison?  Ie, what you made in the last 13 days scaled down to 38GH/s?

EDIT: I'd also like to see someone who has an equivalent hashrate or less.

M

mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 11:52:05 PM

Given that p2pool can be configured to use less than 20KB/s and bitcoind tuned to use even less, people with DSL should all be able to use p2pool. The only ways someone can't use p2pool on a link that provides at least 512kbps in both directions I can think of are:
  • not knowing how to configure p2pool and bitcoind for low bandwidth,
  • not knowing how or being able to use QoS to give priority to p2pool and bitcoind,
  • needing the bandwidth for something else,
  • unreliable connectivity

I've never seen anyone say good things about QoS.  In fact, I've seen lots of people say turn it off, it hoses things, and I've seen it here in this thread.

Who doesn't use the bandwidth for anything else?

On a related subject variance importance is often blown out of proportions and people willingly choose pools that pay between 3 and 5% less monthly because p2pool pays less nearly one day out of two. This behavior is not limited to pool choice: many forfeit long term gains for short term gains in most domains.

See my prior post.  What's your 12 day comparison?  I realize it's probably too short, but I'd like to see.  We can compare again in 18 days.

M

Pages: « 1 ... 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 [371] 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 ... 814 »
  Print  

Jump to: