Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:27:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 [339] 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 ... 814 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [1500 TH] p2pool: Decentralized, DoS-resistant, Hop-Proof pool  (Read 2591625 times)
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 01:14:29 PM

Probably not, since setting up ASICs isn't like setting up a GPU farm  Wink

It's much easier to pay someone some fee rather than actually figure out how p2pool works (omg, how come i'm not getting paid when i've been mining for 3 hrs at 5ghash and block was found?? wtfz)

i suspect to your 'average' user, it's just a bunch of jibber jabber

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 01:21:04 PM

The fault lay with the hardware manufacturers, not p2pool, as p2pool was around long before they started making their ASICs. If all the newer hardware follows the same pattern, things will only improve, and old hardware becomes irrelevant very fast in this world anyway.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
IYFTech

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 01:41:00 PM

The fault lay with the hardware manufacturers, not p2pool, as p2pool was around long before they started making their ASICs. If all the newer hardware follows the same pattern, things will only improve, and old hardware becomes irrelevant very fast in this world anyway.

Agreed, but pool software should be able to adapt to newer hardware - which p2pool does not do. Other pools adapt - that's why they are more successful/bigger.

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 02:12:33 PM

Agreed, but pool software should be able to adapt to newer hardware - which p2pool does not do. Other pools adapt - that's why they are more successful/bigger.

Exactly.  I can point my Blades to any other pool, be it one with a getwork interface, or any stratum pool via a stratum proxy, and guess what?  It works.  ONLY p2pool shit's it's lips when presented an ASICMiner (or KnC it seems).

As usual, ck, you're skirting round an issue and making excuses, rather than fixing the issue - amazing as it isn't even YOUR issue this time...
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 03:29:33 PM

You all realize you are also losing work on traditional pools with KNC right?  Watch your hash rate when new work is pushed, and then check all the bad work it sent off to the pool - especially if you are set to variable difficulty work.  New work is pushed more often with p2pool so it has a greater effect.  P2pool works fine, the hardware companies don't.  Try demanding quality products for the thousands of $'s you spend instead of bashing the free software developed by people volunteering their time. 

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
IYFTech

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 05:24:46 PM

Dude, all software is free, weather it's pool or miner software. All are open to constructive criticism & all rely on donations , the devs rely on donations to further develop the software. People donate to p2pool when they use it (knowingly or otherwise), but the development is not happening.

Stating facts & indulging in constructive criticism is not "bashing" the software, don't be so touchy  Roll Eyes

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 06:06:15 PM

I think you are being touchy.  I'm not seeing the criticism of the hardware companies where people are spending thousands of $, not by donation.  P2pol was changed from 10 second work to 30 second work to help ASIC miners.  The ASIC companies responded by making their hardware worse, that's my constructive criticism.   Roll Eyes to you too.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 09:39:48 PM

Exactly.  I can point my Blades to any other pool, be it one with a getwork interface, or any stratum pool via a stratum proxy, and guess what?  It works.  ONLY p2pool shit's it's lips when presented an ASICMiner (or KnC it seems).

As usual, ck, you're skirting round an issue and making excuses, rather than fixing the issue - amazing as it isn't even YOUR issue this time...
I posted some good news about upcoming hardware and p2pool and you shat on it and turned it into an argument against me. Good work. It gets tiring having you go around dissing the effort I put in just because you support a hostile fork. I don't recall personal attacks against you to make you to take sides with such an aggressive stance. You don't like my software and its approach or p2pool, don't use it, but don't expend so much energy putting down other people's hard work. There's a big difference between constructive criticism and just plain bashing. You want to flame? Take it elsewhere, this is the p2pool thread.

To forrestv's credit, he made a LOT of changes leading into the ASIC era, like beefing up stratum support, variable difficulty, clamping down on memory leaks and the longer blocks. There is ALWAYS more work to be done when the landscape is changing so fast in the bitcoin mining world, but it's clear the manufacturers till now have not put p2pool on their radar at all.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
rav3n_pl
Legendary

Activity: 1361
Merit: 1003

Don`t panic! Organize!

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 06:13:43 AM

OMG what a flamer.
The ONLY trouble that HARDWARE has witch P2pool is that LP/work reset is making HARDWARE to stop hashing for like 10 sec, or HARDWARE is IGNORING LP/WR signals at all.
ANY thing that ckolivas or forrestv do will NOT help if HARDWARE is NOT working witch STANDARDS that are around like YEAR or more.
BE BLADE is working ONLY on diff=1 and are IGNORING LP signals.
KNC stuff are FREEZING for like 10sec every LP it got.
How our devs can fight that? Where we NOT have ANY access to BEB soft, and KNC just published miner sources few days ago... not even on git... Still if this is HARDWARE issue we cant do NOTHING to make those wrong designed ASICS to work properly on P2pool.

1Rav3nkMayCijuhzcYemMiPYsvcaiwHni  Bitcoin stuff on my OneDrive
My RPC CoinControl for any coin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=929954
Some stuff on https://github.com/Rav3nPL/
HellDiverUK

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 07:36:23 AM

How our devs can fight that?

Well, I'm coming back to the "they work with other pools". 

I've donated to p2pool plenty - I left the author donation on, and I even sent BTC - but nothing has been done in ages.  p2pool really is becoming a still-birth. It's not 2012, people aren't mining with GPUs any more.

I know I'm only a low-scale miner (30GH, soon 50GH), but I'm not using p2pool because it doesn't work with my hardware, even when I mine to p2pool through a proxy.  OK, it's only 30GH, but if I'm giving up on the pool, what are the chances of new users going to the bother of setting up a machine, only to find it doesn't work?  Nil.

p2pool's continued EXISTENCE relies on it being able to cope with the current and future ASIC miners, no matter what retarded firmware on them does. 
HellDiverUK

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 07:45:12 AM

It gets tiring having you go around dissing the effort I put in just because you support a hostile fork. I don't recall personal attacks against you to make you to take sides with such an aggressive stance. You don't like my software and its approach or p2pool, don't use it, but don't expend so much energy putting down other people's hard work. There's a big difference between constructive criticism and just plain bashing. You want to flame? Take it elsewhere, this is the p2pool thread.

To forrestv's credit, he made a LOT of changes leading into the ASIC era, like beefing up stratum support, variable difficulty, clamping down on memory leaks and the longer blocks. There is ALWAYS more work to be done when the landscape is changing so fast in the bitcoin mining world, but it's clear the manufacturers till now have not put p2pool on their radar at all.

To be fair, ck, you're not exactly Mr Carisma.  If you say bfgminer is a hostile fork, then I pose the notion that you're a hostile developer.   Tongue

The author(s) of the Other Miner(tm) have added a lot of stuff that is genuinely useful, recently (getwork and stratum proxy built in, nicer user interface, more useful stats on the screen, author provided OpenWRT build, etc).   I still loath your decision to go with WinUSB - the hotplug thing is pointless, and the WinUSB stuff just adds a layer of complication that isn't needed.  He also answers questions in his thread, rather than your stock "README  Roll Eyes " answers you seem to give. 

OK, so forrestv has made some changes, but I don't see any recent changes, or even any discussion of changes in the pipeline.  I'm thinking he's sitting somewhere with fingers in ears singing "la la la la" in a loud voice.  I'm willing to be proven wrong.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 08:32:05 AM

<snip>
To be fair, ck, you're not exactly Mr Carisma.  If you say bfgminer is a hostile fork, then I pose the notion that you're a hostile developer.   Tongue
<snip>

While this was about miners, I wasn't keen to weigh in since I never used p2Pool and I haven't mined for ages.

But if you're going to judge development by charisma, let me provide some anecdotal evidence: Con has always been polite to me and taken the time to explain things I didn't understand. OTOH Luke-Jr has been rude and hostile to my questions (which started out respectful and polite, and became less so the more responses I got from him).

I'm sure there are hostile developers. Con isn't one of them.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
rav3n_pl
Legendary

Activity: 1361
Merit: 1003

Don`t panic! Organize!

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 08:51:06 AM

OK, so forrestv has made some changes, but I don't see any recent changes, or even any discussion of changes in the pipeline.  I'm thinking he's sitting somewhere with fingers in ears singing "la la la la" in a loud voice.  I'm willing to be proven wrong.
Looks like you re missing ROOT of the trouble. As one and only DECENTRALIZED pool P2pool has to manage some way to keep track of work done by miners and calculate payout in way, that cannot be forged, stolen or broken in any way. Bitcoin block chain is the way. P2pool is using 30 seconds blocks (shares) to keep track of work done by miners and allow every node to correctly calculate payout to all miners in SAME way. This is why we have LP/WR signal every 30s. In "normal" (centralized) pools this is done on one machine and LP is only on block change in bitcoin network - about every ~10 minutes.
So miner that is trying to mine on P2pool and freezing for ~10s every LP is "missing" ~30% of time. Miner that need ~10s to compute one WU and is also ignoring LP has 30% doa.
This is NOT P2pool fault but badly coded/designed miners. LP spec is there like 2 years now, so I not see ANY explanation for miner designers that they NOT implementing it in proper way.
Same is for stratum and vardiff that IS implemented in P2pool. If miner is NOT using it why blame pool?

1Rav3nkMayCijuhzcYemMiPYsvcaiwHni  Bitcoin stuff on my OneDrive
My RPC CoinControl for any coin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=929954
Some stuff on https://github.com/Rav3nPL/
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 09:44:13 AM

It gets tiring having you go around dissing the effort I put in just because you support a hostile fork. I don't recall personal attacks against you to make you to take sides with such an aggressive stance. You don't like my software and its approach or p2pool, don't use it, but don't expend so much energy putting down other people's hard work. There's a big difference between constructive criticism and just plain bashing. You want to flame? Take it elsewhere, this is the p2pool thread.

I'd suggest you learn English.

The author(s) of the Other Miner(tm) have added a lot of stuff that is genuinely useful, recently (getwork and stratum proxy built in, nicer user interface, more useful stats on the screen, author provided OpenWRT build, etc).   I still loath your decision to go with WinUSB - the hotplug thing is pointless, and the WinUSB stuff just adds a layer of complication that isn't needed.  He also answers questions in his thread, rather than your stock "README  Roll Eyes " answers you seem to give. 
So in your opinion hotplug is pointless - well I'm glad we got that clear.
Your opinion of hotplug is indeed just that and no more.

As for your master you praise - you forgot to mention that he extorts payments in IRC ... yes acolyte - continue your blind faith.
You think there might be a reason he was voted LAST at the Bitcoin Foundation election and got less than half the votes of 2nd last?
https://electionbuddy.com/elections/9787/results/pqdyb3n39
Though the difference between 1st and 2nd last wasn't very large.

Also learn about the design of p2pool and a whole new term for you to read up about ... LP ... and what the actual problem is with crap hardware design like the KFC.
The KFC has a 10s idle on LP
If that is beyond your understanding of what the problem is then I guess you've made it clear your argument is worth jack shit.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
HellDiverUK

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 11:08:44 AM

So in your opinion hotplug is pointless - well I'm glad we got that clear.
Your opinion of hotplug is indeed just that and no more.

And again, you pick up on the least important part of my post.  I've bolded the important parts for the hard of thinking.   Roll Eyes

But, yeah, about the hot plug - who the hell unplugs their miners?  Huh Mine are plugged in 24/7, mining 24/7.  Only time mine aren't mining is on the very rare occasion I'm rebooting the host PC.  Going by the "post your rig" threads, I think I'm in the majority group who mine the hell out of their machines, and aren't unplugging their miners willy-nilly.
IYFTech

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 12:30:09 PM

While this was about miners, I wasn't keen to weigh in since I never used p2Pool and I haven't mined for ages.

But if you're going to judge development by charisma, let me provide some anecdotal evidence: Con has always been polite to me and taken the time to explain things I didn't understand. OTOH Luke-Jr has been rude and hostile to my questions (which started out respectful and polite, and became less so the more responses I got from him).

I'm sure there are hostile developers. Con isn't one of them.

+1

Seems to be a bit of a shitstorm going on here.

Guys, whatever your feelings are towards other forum members - personal attacks are uncalled for & just not cool.

Can we keep it clean & on-topic por favor?  Wink

Edit: For the record, I'm a cgm man all the way - always have been & always will be  Grin

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 01:06:40 PM

And again, you pick up on the least important part of my post.  I've bolded the important parts for the hard of thinking.   Roll Eyes
Lulz. Funny how I seemed to list a number of things in my reply that you ignored Smiley

This thread is about p2pool.
But as I said in my reply to you that you completely ignored most of,
you're arguing in here about p2pool fail - yet you don't even understand the design of p2pool or why it works that way.

The hardware issue is simply hardware designed badly - problems that can easily be avoided.

These companies have ignored input about what should be done and gone ahead and made blunders.
To help with this, forrestv has changed p2ool to help deal with some of these more blatant hardware design flaws.

Seriously, the KFC miner effectively stops mining for 10s every LP.
Who but an idiot or BTC ignorant hardware designer would do something like that.
You can't get around that with p2pool, but you can avoid making your miner go idle in the hardware design ... as anyone, not ignorant of how BTC in general works, would do.

The basic design of p2pool is a sub chain of BTC.
That design is actually what will be required in the future for BTC to continue or it will die.
It won't be p2pool, but the concept is indeed what BTC will require to grow beyond it's rather blatant, current limitations.
... and it's nothing new about how to design the correct hardware, the problem is we have BTC noobs, who think they are know it alls, who then go and design hardware with totally fail mistakes, that are unnecessary and obvious to avoid.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
HellDiverUK

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 01:43:11 PM

Agreed, sorry, I went in a 'big kid who lost his lolly' crusade to OffTopicLand. 

I also apologise for being a TAUC towards kano and ck - there's no need for it, even though I disagree with their choice of USB drivers, they're still producing one of the top-two mining programs, without which BTC wouldn't be where it is now.

I hope you accept my apologies.
ok

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 02:25:36 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2013, 02:44:35 PM by ok

Got a couple of ASICMiner Erupter blades running smoothly on p2pool for quite sometime now.
No need for proxy. Just configure yourusername+1 on the blade soft (note the +1 at the end to maintain the correct p2pool difficulty).
Results are actually better than obtained at other pools. The high DOA rate for these blades does not affect final results which are inline with the expected total payout.

A feature that will be more than welcome on p2pool will be a way to mitigate DDOS attacks that happen every couple of weeks or so. I had to block quite a few IPs on the firewall -many from Indonesia- . These IPs come and visit you node hundreds of times per second until they take it down. This forces to restart p2pool and block the attacking IPs on the firewall. Some kind of protection inside p2pool will be very welcome.
walf_man

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 03:44:04 PM

avalon with 100G, but p2pool show 80G
why?  how to fix it?
thanks a lot to your reply.
Pages: « 1 ... 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 [339] 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 ... 814 »
  Print  

Jump to: