Bitcoin Forum
November 22, 2017, 01:12:51 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 ... 275 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread  (Read 554451 times)
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1305

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:50:38 AM

I asked the dev of Boincstats if he would accept GRC donations and as of today Boincstats.com now officially accepts Gridcoin for donations!

Well done!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Join ICO Now Coinlancer is Disrupting the Freelance marketplace!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
s4mmy

Activity: 55

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:54:25 AM

ok so there is pooled mining.. i have that tab open.. so is it better to pool mine or solo?

is cpu mining worth it if i have a gpu rig? or does the hashrate from cpu mining pale in comparison?

what is "GRC address" do i leave that blank?

Why don't you read the first post? There's a lot of information about the coin and also tutorials how to mine. I think this is the most profitable coin there is available and sure use all your cpu:s:

https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1922-cpu-mining-tutorialtopic/

The idea is that you calculate boinc with cpu and get paid grc (max 150grc/day/pc). Very profitable. You can also solo mine and 3MH would get you quite a good amount of coins per day. Also pool mining is possible it's up to you.

http://explorer.gridcoin.us/
There's network hashrate and stuff..

thanks, and i did read. I know what the concept is, but it doesn't answer the questions I'm asking. i wasn't asking how to set it up, I already saw the tutorial.

Still no one answered if solo mining is better than pooled mining for this coin, or no difference?

Does mining this coin have the same power usage as regular scrypt coins? (currently mining darkcoin which uses only 50% of usual wattage and very little heat, so i'm looking for something efficient)

Does it matter what type of cpu you have? or do you get 150 grc regardless of what type of cpu? (I have 3930k and 4770k)

Just solo mine because hashrate is not very high. This is regular scrypt. With your cpus I think you will get full credits. 576 blocks are for cpu miners and there are now about 1k? miners so there is some competition already.

Donate BTC: 18hLBMKpTRH9pi1myZHHcmk3kS9JGJLDoi
Donate GRC: G7aoEsY9zjr5td4bNPLmsbB2Dg8dg5EExB
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 588

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:56:27 AM

ok so there is pooled mining.. i have that tab open.. so is it better to pool mine or solo?

is cpu mining worth it if i have a gpu rig? or does the hashrate from cpu mining pale in comparison?

what is "GRC address" do i leave that blank?

Why don't you read the first post? There's a lot of information about the coin and also tutorials how to mine. I think this is the most profitable coin there is available and sure use all your cpu:s:

https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1922-cpu-mining-tutorialtopic/

The idea is that you calculate boinc with cpu and get paid grc (max 150grc/day/pc). Very profitable. You can also solo mine and 3MH would get you quite a good amount of coins per day. Also pool mining is possible it's up to you.

http://explorer.gridcoin.us/
There's network hashrate and stuff..

thanks, and i did read. I know what the concept is, but it doesn't answer the questions I'm asking. i wasn't asking how to set it up, I already saw the tutorial.

Still no one answered if solo mining is better than pooled mining for this coin, or no difference?

Does mining this coin have the same power usage as regular scrypt coins? (currently mining darkcoin which uses only 50% of usual wattage and very little heat, so i'm looking for something efficient)

Does it matter what type of cpu you have? or do you get 150 grc regardless of what type of cpu? (I have 3930k and 4770k)

yes, it matter what type of cpu you have, but right now you can earn 150grc even with an old gpu (for example i use an AMD phenom II X4 945...).
To gain 150grc it's important to set your boinc's cpu utilizzation at 100%.

With your hashrate i think is better solo mining, but i may be wrong.

Gpu mining can have a lower power usage as regular scrypt coins. Some times your gpu will enter in sleep mode to save power....someone more expert can tell you how this is works!

I think that this is a really good coin, try it, really!

.SPECTRE.                ▄▄███▄▄
            ▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄
▄▄      ▄▄███▀▀ ▄▄███▄▄ ▀▀███▄▄      ▄▄
████▄▄  ▀▀▀ ▄▄███████████▄▄ ▀▀▀  ▄▄████
  ▀▀████▄    ▀▀█████████▀▀    ▄████▀▀
 ██▄▄ ▀██ █▄▄    ▀▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█ ██▀ ▄▄██
 ▀▀███ ██ █████▄       ▄█████ ██ ███▀▀
      ██ ███████▄   ▄███████ ██
       ██ ████████   ████████ ██
       ██▄▄ ▀▀████   ████▀▀ ▄▄██
        ▀▀███▄▄ ▀▀   ▀▀ ▄▄███▀▀
            ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀
                ▀▀███▀▀
             │
     │      ███
     │      ███
    │     ███
███  │     ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███     │
███ ███     │
    │

▬▬     WHITEPAPER    ▬▬
FACEBOOK     TELEGRAM
TWITTER     SLACK     MEDIUM
PRE-SALE.
PUBLIC SALE.
customminer

Activity: 87

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:28:45 PM

Anyone having issues with beacons not being sent when cpu mining?
asdlolciterquit

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:38:30 PM

how much time did you wait? beacons are send every 72 hours..

▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄
        ▀▀███▄▄ ▀▀   ▀▀ ▄▄███▀▀
            ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀
                ▀▀███▀▀
             │
     │      ███
     │      ███
    │     ███
███  │     ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███     │
███ ███     │
    │

▬▬     WHITEPAPER    ▬▬
FACEBOOK     TELEGRAM
PRE-SALE.
PUBLIC SALE.
customminer

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:04:47 PM

4 computers, and it's been several days now.
If the 72 hours are reset every time I upgrade to the latest version of gridcoin, that's a complete joke since there are updates every other day.
I'd prefer it to be reverted back to daily beacons - waiting 3 days for a possible beacon is too long to wait to find out if you've set it up correctly.
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:11:45 PM

Is your wallet encrypted and password protected? If yes, the beacons will not work!

If the 72 hours are reset every time I upgrade to the latest version of gridcoin, that's a complete joke since there are updates every other day.
I'd prefer it to be reverted back to daily beacons - waiting 3 days for a possible beacon is too long to wait to find out if you've set it up correctly.
s4mmy

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:14:20 PM

I encourage you to write about it to https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1331-new-coin-launch-announcement-grc-gridcoin/page-121

Rob reads that more than bitcointalk. I haven't had any problem but yes I think there should be some way to make sure everything is working with cpu mining. For me the beacons were send in an hour or so when I first started cpu mining. So I think something is still wrong with your configuration :/ Yep maybe encryption!

WinterParker

Activity: 344

Hoqu.io – Decentralized Affiliate platform

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 02:16:36 PM

is there new nodes or something??  I haven't opened my GRC wallet in a couple months, and now I have but the QT wont sync.  So I tried the lastest QT and still no luck.  Can someone help me out?

.....HOQU....
.MARKETING OF THE FUTURE!.

████████████████████    ██████████████████
    ██████              ██████   ████         █████
   ████   █████████████    ████   ███████████    ████
 ████   ██████      ██████   ████  ████   ██████   ███
████  █████    ████    █████  ████  █████    ████   ███
████  ████   ██████████   ████  █████████████   ███   ███
████  ███  ████     █████  ███  █████     ████  ████  ████
███  ████  ███        ███  ████  ███       ████  ███  ████
███  ████  ███        ██████████████       ████  ███  ████
███  ████  ███                             ████  ███  ████
████  ███  ███████████████  ████  █████████████  ████  ████
 ████  ████   █████████████  ████   ██████████  ████  ████
 ████  █████    █████  ████  █████    ███     ████   ███
  ████   ███████  ████  ████   ███████    ███████  ████
   ████    ███████████  █████    ████████████   █████
    ██████         ████   ██████              █████
       ██████████████████    ████████████████████
           █████████████████     ████████████ 

............................................Decentralized affiliate platform...........................................
▬ ▮ ▮ ▮ ▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮ ▮ ▮ ▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮ ▮ ▮ ▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮ ▮ ▮ ▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮ ▮ ▮ ▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮ ▮ ▮ ▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮ ▮ ▮ ▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮ ▮ ▮ ▮ ▬
Facebook   Twitter   ANN Thread   White Paper   Telegram   Medium

[/t
Sparood

Activity: 170

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:28:30 PM

Try update command from the console. That worked for me earlier!

s4mmy

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:29:37 PM

is there new nodes or something??  I haven't opened my GRC wallet in a couple months, and now I have but the QT wont sync.  So I tried the lastest QT and still no luck.  Can someone help me out?

if sparoods way doesn't work try this:

1. Backup your wallet
2. Delete everything regarding gridcoin (/program files/gridcoin and %appadata%/gridcoin)
3. Install newest wallet from gridcoin.us
4. Start first with a new wallet.dat and let it sync
5. Paste your backup wallet to %appdata%/gridcoin it should rescan then the backup wallet

asdlolciterquit

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 03:27:56 PM

I encourage you to write about it to https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1331-new-coin-launch-announcement-grc-gridcoin/page-121

Rob reads that more than bitcointalk. I haven't had any problem but yes I think there should be some way to make sure everything is working with cpu mining. For me the beacons were send in an hour or so when I first started cpu mining. So I think something is still wrong with your configuration :/ Yep maybe encryption!

maybe in some next version can be add a countdown for the next beacons...

▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄
        ▀▀███▄▄ ▀▀   ▀▀ ▄▄███▀▀
            ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀
                ▀▀███▀▀
             │
     │      ███
     │      ███
    │     ███
███  │     ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███     │
███ ███     │
    │

▬▬     WHITEPAPER    ▬▬
FACEBOOK     TELEGRAM
PRE-SALE.
PUBLIC SALE.
RyanEagle

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:43:21 PM

When is the Mac Wallet coming out!?
COINPRADER

Activity: 148

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:28:20 PM

I also have 4 computers just CPU mining.  The 72 hour countdown does not reset after upgrades.  Check in your transactions to see when your last beacon was sent.  Mine are all on the same schedule and I just upgraded to latest version - sure enough - my beacons all went out within 1 hour of each other - all on time.  It is also interesting to note that the 2 laptophit sync - lost it - then fixed themselves withing 20 minutes (then sent the beacon on time!).
For anyone wondering if CPU mining with worth it - my computers are working on other tasks anyway.  I have them doing BOINC in the background and the GRC wallet in the background.  I get my 150 GRC each day for each machine (now it is 450 each 72 hours) - seems worth it to me as they are not dedicated miners.  I do have one dedicated miner that is mining a different coin with GPU and GRC with CPU - My GPU is not good enough to solo GRC - so I love that I can do both!

Add some science to your mining!  GRIDCOIN
Multi-coin faucet - no captcha! Qoinpro.com
40+ faucets in one place!  Land of Bitcoin
DreadLord

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:45:39 PM

Hi Rob,

First let me say that you are doing an awesome work with Gridcoin.

I have being trying the new pool but I found something that I think it's not right, the pool is paying accordantly to shares submitted and is counting the overall shares since first day when we enter the pool, that makes very hard to climb our earnings and it's an disadvantage to someone entering the pool for the first time, or am I seeing something wrong?

Other thing is I can't get the scrypt sleep working for my GPU's If I select use always GPU on Boinc it will use them all the time even when they are at work, if I select never use GPU when scrypt sleep comes it will not process Boinc projects what am I missing were?

Thank you,

João G.
Hi João,
Im glad you like the pool, thanks.
On scrypt sleep, weve been trying to ensure a smooth start and after the last release moved it to 74000.  (The release notes were wrong).  

On the pool newbie payments, the original intent was to base the pool on a 7 day lookback period (assessed off of last_seen), to give everyone pool competition who finds blocks.
The code does pay newbies based on 1 block divided by submissions, and I realize now that I see the stats they are really getting tiny amounts.

I will look into something more fair for newbies, maybe splitting 7% of the pool over the newbies instead of 1 block.
But anyway, I think the 7 day lookback itself is more fair for people finding blocks, as it is impossible to defraud the pool when you have mined blocks vs share submissions (ie higher integrity).

Grid

Hi Rob,

I think I didn't explained me quite well about what I was seeing...let me take another shot  Grin

Let's take for example Aesyrin, he as 49 blocks found so far and the last time he connected to pool was in 3/5/2014 2:04:04 PM, for every block found in pool he's receiving payments for it without contributing with shares.

So he can get two payments this way, because he can be solo mining receiving the entire block and get payments from pool for some days without being pool mining ( 7 days if I understand it right ).

Following this strategy one can do the same, being pool mining for 1 day or so, just to keep up the same share percentage at the pool and the following days being solo mining, I think this is not fair to no one.

Hope this helps.

João G.

PS: Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to judge any one, just choose Aesyrin because it was the perfect example to explain what I'm seeing wrong about pool payments.
asdlolciterquit

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:35:00 PM

Hi Rob,

I have being trying the new pool but I found something that I think it's not right, the pool is paying accordantly to shares submitted and is counting the overall shares since first day when we enter the pool, that makes very hard to climb our earnings and it's an disadvantage to someone entering the pool for the first time, or am I seeing something wrong?

Other thing is I can't get the scrypt sleep working for my GPU's If I select use always GPU on Boinc it will use them all the time even when they are at work, if I select never use GPU when scrypt sleep comes it will not process Boinc projects what am I missing were?

Thank you,

João G.
Hi João,
On scrypt sleep, weve been trying to ensure a smooth start and after the last release moved it to 74000.  (The release notes were wrong).  

On the pool newbie payments, the original intent was to base the pool on a 7 day lookback period (assessed off of last_seen), to give everyone pool competition who finds blocks.
The code does pay newbies based on 1 block divided by submissions, and I realize now that I see the stats they are really getting tiny amounts.

I will look into something more fair for newbies, maybe splitting 7% of the pool over the newbies instead of 1 block.
But anyway, I think the 7 day lookback itself is more fair for people finding blocks, as it is impossible to defraud the pool when you have mined blocks vs share submissions (ie higher integrity).

Grid

Hi Rob,

I think I didn't explained me quite well about what I was seeing...let me take another shot  Grin

Let's take for example Aesyrin, he as 49 blocks found so far and the last time he connected to pool was in 3/5/2014 2:04:04 PM, for every block found in pool he's receiving payments for it without contributing with shares.

So he can get two payments this way, because he can be solo mining receiving the entire block and get payments from pool for some days without being pool mining ( 7 days if I understand it right ).

Following this strategy one can do the same, being pool mining for 1 day or so, just to keep up the same share percentage at the pool and the following days being solo mining, I think this is not fair to no one.

Hope this helps.

João G.

PS: Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to judge any one, just choose Aesyrin because it was the perfect example to explain what I'm seeing wrong about pool payments.

but if you keep stay in the pool, your payment will not become bigger?

▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄
        ▀▀███▄▄ ▀▀   ▀▀ ▄▄███▀▀
            ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀
                ▀▀███▀▀
             │
     │      ███
     │      ███
    │     ███
███  │     ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███     │
███ ███     │
    │

▬▬     WHITEPAPER    ▬▬
FACEBOOK     TELEGRAM
PRE-SALE.
PUBLIC SALE.
customminer

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:51:35 PM

Just fixed it, the problem was that i had "Cpumining=true" instead of "cpumining=true", so gridcoin seemingly doesn't handle upper/lowercase configuration lines well.. be careful when changing config guys!

Thanks everyone for helping Smiley
I also have 4 computers just CPU mining.  The 72 hour countdown does not reset after upgrades.  Check in your transactions to see when your last beacon was sent.  Mine are all on the same schedule and I just upgraded to latest version - sure enough - my beacons all went out within 1 hour of each other - all on time.  It is also interesting to note that the 2 laptophit sync - lost it - then fixed themselves withing 20 minutes (then sent the beacon on time!).
For anyone wondering if CPU mining with worth it - my computers are working on other tasks anyway.  I have them doing BOINC in the background and the GRC wallet in the background.  I get my 150 GRC each day for each machine (now it is 450 each 72 hours) - seems worth it to me as they are not dedicated miners.  I do have one dedicated miner that is mining a different coin with GPU and GRC with CPU - My GPU is not good enough to solo GRC - so I love that I can do both!

DreadLord

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:53:38 PM

Hi Rob,

Thank you,

João G.
Hi João,

Grid

Hi Rob,

Hope this helps.

João G.

but if you keep stay in the pool, your payment will not become bigger?

Yes it will, very slowly but it will...

The more hash power one have ( difference between miners in the pool ), the easiest it is to do this, like so small miners are in disadvantage in payments because of this, or am I seeing it wrong?
customminer

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:14:23 PM

Gridcoin needs more marketing.

I've been quite heavily pushing it on reddit, and we've only got 50 suscribers on there.
Reddit is a great way of establishing a community for a cryptocurrency; we should really try that angle.

But in the mean time, people have successfully reached out to boincstats to get them to accept gridcoin.
We should next contact EVERY boinc project directly, and ask if they'll accept gridcoin donations, and for them to put a gridcoin donation button up on their pages. We'll donate a bunch of grc to them, and their regular users will ALL see gridcoin on the official project pages and we'll get the core boinc users flooding to us in droves.

What we could also do, is go to the major boinc team forums and post that they can offset their electricity costs by participating in cpu mining boinc at the bare minimum, and go further with gpu mining.

edit:
On another hand, could someone elaborate on why we need beacons in the first place?
We've got the gridcoin team stats online, is it just a second layer of verification that the work is getting performed?
And what's happening to these grc being used as beacons? My beacons are about 1GRC in size, usually going to similar addresses..
Blackblanco

Activity: 90

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:52:35 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know that c-cex is listed twice under exchanges in the original post.  Love GRC!

"Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." - Woody Allen
 Robbed of 6700 BC, bought at 3k sat.  Donations much appreciated. BMzphiQ2NVXotkVCA7zECo5FfbAjrt368u  ZET:  ZRKFgHFhKYiyL6r1o3cU5swwvF2GBoAEjt
Pages: « 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 ... 275 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.