Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:45:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 ... 291 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread  (Read 597301 times)
s4mmy

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:29:37 PM

is there new nodes or something??  I haven't opened my GRC wallet in a couple months, and now I have but the QT wont sync.  So I tried the lastest QT and still no luck.  Can someone help me out?

if sparoods way doesn't work try this:

1. Backup your wallet
2. Delete everything regarding gridcoin (/program files/gridcoin and %appadata%/gridcoin)
3. Install newest wallet from gridcoin.us
4. Start first with a new wallet.dat and let it sync
5. Paste your backup wallet to %appdata%/gridcoin it should rescan then the backup wallet
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 03:27:56 PM

Anyone having issues with beacons not being sent when cpu mining?

how much time did you wait? beacons are send every 72 hours..

4 computers, and it's been several days now.
If the 72 hours are reset every time I upgrade to the latest version of gridcoin, that's a complete joke since there are updates every other day.
I'd prefer it to be reverted back to daily beacons - waiting 3 days for a possible beacon is too long to wait to find out if you've set it up correctly.

I encourage you to write about it to https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1331-new-coin-launch-announcement-grc-gridcoin/page-121

Rob reads that more than bitcointalk. I haven't had any problem but yes I think there should be some way to make sure everything is working with cpu mining. For me the beacons were send in an hour or so when I first started cpu mining. So I think something is still wrong with your configuration :/ Yep maybe encryption!

maybe in some next version can be add a countdown for the next beacons...
RyanEagle

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:43:21 PM

When is the Mac Wallet coming out!?
COINPRADER

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:28:20 PM

I also have 4 computers just CPU mining.  The 72 hour countdown does not reset after upgrades.  Check in your transactions to see when your last beacon was sent.  Mine are all on the same schedule and I just upgraded to latest version - sure enough - my beacons all went out within 1 hour of each other - all on time.  It is also interesting to note that the 2 laptophit sync - lost it - then fixed themselves withing 20 minutes (then sent the beacon on time!).
For anyone wondering if CPU mining with worth it - my computers are working on other tasks anyway.  I have them doing BOINC in the background and the GRC wallet in the background.  I get my 150 GRC each day for each machine (now it is 450 each 72 hours) - seems worth it to me as they are not dedicated miners.  I do have one dedicated miner that is mining a different coin with GPU and GRC with CPU - My GPU is not good enough to solo GRC - so I love that I can do both!

If the 72 hours are reset every time I upgrade to the latest version of gridcoin, that's a complete joke since there are updates every other day.
I'd prefer it to be reverted back to daily beacons - waiting 3 days for a possible beacon is too long to wait to find out if you've set it up correctly.

Add some science to your mining!  GRIDCOIN
DreadLord

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:45:39 PM

Hi Rob,

First let me say that you are doing an awesome work with Gridcoin.

I have being trying the new pool but I found something that I think it's not right, the pool is paying accordantly to shares submitted and is counting the overall shares since first day when we enter the pool, that makes very hard to climb our earnings and it's an disadvantage to someone entering the pool for the first time, or am I seeing something wrong?

Other thing is I can't get the scrypt sleep working for my GPU's If I select use always GPU on Boinc it will use them all the time even when they are at work, if I select never use GPU when scrypt sleep comes it will not process Boinc projects what am I missing were?

Thank you,

João G.
Hi João,
Im glad you like the pool, thanks.
On scrypt sleep, weve been trying to ensure a smooth start and after the last release moved it to 74000.  (The release notes were wrong).  

On the pool newbie payments, the original intent was to base the pool on a 7 day lookback period (assessed off of last_seen), to give everyone pool competition who finds blocks.
The code does pay newbies based on 1 block divided by submissions, and I realize now that I see the stats they are really getting tiny amounts.

I will look into something more fair for newbies, maybe splitting 7% of the pool over the newbies instead of 1 block.
But anyway, I think the 7 day lookback itself is more fair for people finding blocks, as it is impossible to defraud the pool when you have mined blocks vs share submissions (ie higher integrity).

Grid

Hi Rob,

I think I didn't explained me quite well about what I was seeing...let me take another shot  Grin

Let's take for example Aesyrin, he as 49 blocks found so far and the last time he connected to pool was in 3/5/2014 2:04:04 PM, for every block found in pool he's receiving payments for it without contributing with shares.

So he can get two payments this way, because he can be solo mining receiving the entire block and get payments from pool for some days without being pool mining ( 7 days if I understand it right ).

Following this strategy one can do the same, being pool mining for 1 day or so, just to keep up the same share percentage at the pool and the following days being solo mining, I think this is not fair to no one.

Hope this helps.

João G.

PS: Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to judge any one, just choose Aesyrin because it was the perfect example to explain what I'm seeing wrong about pool payments.
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:35:00 PM

Hi Rob,

I have being trying the new pool but I found something that I think it's not right, the pool is paying accordantly to shares submitted and is counting the overall shares since first day when we enter the pool, that makes very hard to climb our earnings and it's an disadvantage to someone entering the pool for the first time, or am I seeing something wrong?

Other thing is I can't get the scrypt sleep working for my GPU's If I select use always GPU on Boinc it will use them all the time even when they are at work, if I select never use GPU when scrypt sleep comes it will not process Boinc projects what am I missing were?

Thank you,

João G.
Hi João,
On scrypt sleep, weve been trying to ensure a smooth start and after the last release moved it to 74000.  (The release notes were wrong).  

On the pool newbie payments, the original intent was to base the pool on a 7 day lookback period (assessed off of last_seen), to give everyone pool competition who finds blocks.
The code does pay newbies based on 1 block divided by submissions, and I realize now that I see the stats they are really getting tiny amounts.

I will look into something more fair for newbies, maybe splitting 7% of the pool over the newbies instead of 1 block.
But anyway, I think the 7 day lookback itself is more fair for people finding blocks, as it is impossible to defraud the pool when you have mined blocks vs share submissions (ie higher integrity).

Grid

Hi Rob,

I think I didn't explained me quite well about what I was seeing...let me take another shot  Grin

Let's take for example Aesyrin, he as 49 blocks found so far and the last time he connected to pool was in 3/5/2014 2:04:04 PM, for every block found in pool he's receiving payments for it without contributing with shares.

So he can get two payments this way, because he can be solo mining receiving the entire block and get payments from pool for some days without being pool mining ( 7 days if I understand it right ).

Following this strategy one can do the same, being pool mining for 1 day or so, just to keep up the same share percentage at the pool and the following days being solo mining, I think this is not fair to no one.

Hope this helps.

João G.

PS: Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to judge any one, just choose Aesyrin because it was the perfect example to explain what I'm seeing wrong about pool payments.

but if you keep stay in the pool, your payment will not become bigger?
customminer

Activity: 87

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:51:35 PM

Just fixed it, the problem was that i had "Cpumining=true" instead of "cpumining=true", so gridcoin seemingly doesn't handle upper/lowercase configuration lines well.. be careful when changing config guys!

Thanks everyone for helping Smiley
I also have 4 computers just CPU mining.  The 72 hour countdown does not reset after upgrades.  Check in your transactions to see when your last beacon was sent.  Mine are all on the same schedule and I just upgraded to latest version - sure enough - my beacons all went out within 1 hour of each other - all on time.  It is also interesting to note that the 2 laptophit sync - lost it - then fixed themselves withing 20 minutes (then sent the beacon on time!).
For anyone wondering if CPU mining with worth it - my computers are working on other tasks anyway.  I have them doing BOINC in the background and the GRC wallet in the background.  I get my 150 GRC each day for each machine (now it is 450 each 72 hours) - seems worth it to me as they are not dedicated miners.  I do have one dedicated miner that is mining a different coin with GPU and GRC with CPU - My GPU is not good enough to solo GRC - so I love that I can do both!

DreadLord

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:53:38 PM

Hi Rob,

Thank you,

João G.
Hi João,

Grid

Hi Rob,

Hope this helps.

João G.

but if you keep stay in the pool, your payment will not become bigger?

Yes it will, very slowly but it will...

The more hash power one have ( difference between miners in the pool ), the easiest it is to do this, like so small miners are in disadvantage in payments because of this, or am I seeing it wrong?
customminer

Activity: 87

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:14:23 PM

Gridcoin needs more marketing.

I've been quite heavily pushing it on reddit, and we've only got 50 suscribers on there.
Reddit is a great way of establishing a community for a cryptocurrency; we should really try that angle.

But in the mean time, people have successfully reached out to boincstats to get them to accept gridcoin.
We should next contact EVERY boinc project directly, and ask if they'll accept gridcoin donations, and for them to put a gridcoin donation button up on their pages. We'll donate a bunch of grc to them, and their regular users will ALL see gridcoin on the official project pages and we'll get the core boinc users flooding to us in droves.

What we could also do, is go to the major boinc team forums and post that they can offset their electricity costs by participating in cpu mining boinc at the bare minimum, and go further with gpu mining.

edit:
On another hand, could someone elaborate on why we need beacons in the first place?
We've got the gridcoin team stats online, is it just a second layer of verification that the work is getting performed?
And what's happening to these grc being used as beacons? My beacons are about 1GRC in size, usually going to similar addresses..
Blackblanco

Activity: 90

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:52:35 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know that c-cex is listed twice under exchanges in the original post.  Love GRC!

"Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." - Woody Allen
 Robbed of 6700 BC, bought at 3k sat.  Donations much appreciated. BMzphiQ2NVXotkVCA7zECo5FfbAjrt368u  ZET:  ZRKFgHFhKYiyL6r1o3cU5swwvF2GBoAEjt
Gridcoin (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 12:44:54 AM

1.1.6.8/8.77:
Emergency Release Available:
- Added Kimotos Gravity well to go live @ block 77000
- Fixed the lag problem; it was due to the new graphics in the client; resampled graphics

Gridcoin: scientia humana libertas
Bitcoin_Gambler

Activity: 19

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 02:38:26 AM

I've been quite heavily pushing it on reddit, and we've only got 50 suscribers on there.
Reddit is a great way of establishing a community for a cryptocurrency; we should really try that angle.

But in the mean time, people have successfully reached out to boincstats to get them to accept gridcoin.
We should next contact EVERY boinc project directly, and ask if they'll accept gridcoin donations, and for them to put a gridcoin donation button up on their pages. We'll donate a bunch of grc to them, and their regular users will ALL see gridcoin on the official project pages and we'll get the core boinc users flooding to us in droves.

What we could also do, is go to the major boinc team forums and post that they can offset their electricity costs by participating in cpu mining boinc at the bare minimum, and go further with gpu mining.

edit:
On another hand, could someone elaborate on why we need beacons in the first place?
We've got the gridcoin team stats online, is it just a second layer of verification that the work is getting performed?
And what's happening to these grc being used as beacons? My beacons are about 1GRC in size, usually going to similar addresses..

Can we raise funds or get people to volunteer to do giveaways on reddit and twitter?  I've seen very successful giveaways on twitter by asking people to 1) retweet and 2) Change their profile picture to the gridcoin logo. Everyone starts seeing the logo everywhere and it goes viral.  I've got a couple thousand twitter followers that follow me for crypto news and I would be glad to retweet it without the chance of winning.
allcrypt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 02:44:34 AM

The Gridcoin linux wallet has a fatal error that needs to be resolved before it can be fully implemented on AllCrypt.

AllCrypt uses RPC calls to communicate with the wallets. The function getblock, which takes a hash as a argument, and returns data about the block in question, is completely broken.

On the command line, some blocks return data - but the data seems like it could be wrong.

Other blocks return various errors:
gridcoind getblock 87940ec2e76b5981d1454ea53de8fa3c0fac4b1c683f72971a74ea8f78751046
error: {"code":-1,"message":"Block number out of range."}

However, I got that hash with:
gridcoind getblockhash 74001
87940ec2e76b5981d1454ea53de8fa3c0fac4b1c683f72971a74ea8f78751046

Also:
gridcoind getblock b228595e0676536b5eed64ad079d8046ea7ed5cb27d94a2c24018b60ec945d59
error: Error parsing JSON:b228595e0676536b5eed64ad079d8046ea7ed5cb27d94a2c24018b60ec945d59

It's completely borked.

Also, when issuing the command line for:
gridcoind getblock 3acbe7fae017d900a0957038dce03c48b5d4458cabd79ad809a194fed9bf2154

It returns what APPEARS to be info for block 3?
{
    "hash" : "d39f406fc1e83823f0af3feccecf97439b8c418340fae92cb32de2a0b0d882f7",
    "confirmations" : 75296,
    "size" : 438,
    "height" : 3,
    "version" : 2,
    "merkleroot" : "8e192930415caa67236c9facd54d5cb64080d340dc2d9db7f06901044727cafc",
    "tx" : [
        "8e192930415caa67236c9facd54d5cb64080d340dc2d9db7f06901044727cafc"
    ],
    "time" : 1381979271,
    "nonce" : 73673216,

And when using the RPC call to check that same block, it errors out with: (I had to put spaces in the damn site keeps putting it in a code block)

Request error: A r r a y  = > -1 [message] = > value is type str, expected int
Which is completely wrong because a block hash cannot be an INT.

The linux Gridcoin wallet is completely unusable as it stands on AllCrypt. If this coin is on another exchange - we have NO idea how they are doing it unless maybe their wallets are on windows? (What??)

Dear Allcrypt-

The problem is we have 3 commands for Gridcoin, getblock, getblockbyhash and getblockhash.

Getblockbyhash 178bca9db419ef349b040f92e960a7c05914949d4f7f5e6a7228266069f502cd returns the info your RPC is looking for, but our getblock 1 returns the information you are receiving.

What version of the wallet are you running, windows or Linux?  I may be able to change the commands back to the way they are in bitcoin.

Grid

Linux. And if this is going to be on an exchange it absolutely has to have more than those three commands. Just off the top of my head we use: listtransactions, listtransactionssince, getinfo, getbalance, gettransaction, move, and god knows how many others.

In the future instead of completely changing how the wallet works, for it to actually be compatible with other software, ADD new commands - don't change the way standard commands work. We have 42 other wallets that all work according to that standard.

PM me once you have something worked out.

AllCrypt.com - Your new CryptoCurrency Exchange Now Open! www.AllCrypt.com
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 02:53:03 AM

You mean GRC giveaway on twitter for ever person that retweets something about Gridcoin?

edit:

Can we raise funds or get people to volunteer to do giveaways on reddit and twitter?  I've seen very successful giveaways on twitter by asking people to 1) retweet and 2) Change their profile picture to the gridcoin logo. Everyone starts seeing the logo everywhere and it goes viral.  I've got a couple thousand twitter followers that follow me for crypto news and I would be glad to retweet it without the chance of winning.
Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 04:36:45 AM

The Gridcoin linux wallet has a fatal error that needs to be resolved before it can be fully implemented on AllCrypt.

AllCrypt uses RPC calls to communicate with the wallets. The function getblock, which takes a hash as a argument, and returns data about the block in question, is completely broken.

On the command line, some blocks return data - but the data seems like it could be wrong.

Other blocks return various errors:
gridcoind getblock 87940ec2e76b5981d1454ea53de8fa3c0fac4b1c683f72971a74ea8f78751046
error: {"code":-1,"message":"Block number out of range."}

However, I got that hash with:
gridcoind getblockhash 74001
87940ec2e76b5981d1454ea53de8fa3c0fac4b1c683f72971a74ea8f78751046

Also:
gridcoind getblock b228595e0676536b5eed64ad079d8046ea7ed5cb27d94a2c24018b60ec945d59
error: Error parsing JSON:b228595e0676536b5eed64ad079d8046ea7ed5cb27d94a2c24018b60ec945d59

It's completely borked.

Also, when issuing the command line for:
gridcoind getblock 3acbe7fae017d900a0957038dce03c48b5d4458cabd79ad809a194fed9bf2154

It returns what APPEARS to be info for block 3?
{
    "hash" : "d39f406fc1e83823f0af3feccecf97439b8c418340fae92cb32de2a0b0d882f7",
    "confirmations" : 75296,
    "size" : 438,
    "height" : 3,
    "version" : 2,
    "merkleroot" : "8e192930415caa67236c9facd54d5cb64080d340dc2d9db7f06901044727cafc",
    "tx" : [
        "8e192930415caa67236c9facd54d5cb64080d340dc2d9db7f06901044727cafc"
    ],
    "time" : 1381979271,
    "nonce" : 73673216,

And when using the RPC call to check that same block, it errors out with: (I had to put spaces in the damn site keeps putting it in a code block)

Request error: A r r a y  = > -1 [message] = > value is type str, expected int
Which is completely wrong because a block hash cannot be an INT.

The linux Gridcoin wallet is completely unusable as it stands on AllCrypt. If this coin is on another exchange - we have NO idea how they are doing it unless maybe their wallets are on windows? (What??)

Dear Allcrypt-

The problem is we have 3 commands for Gridcoin, getblock, getblockbyhash and getblockhash.

Getblockbyhash 178bca9db419ef349b040f92e960a7c05914949d4f7f5e6a7228266069f502cd returns the info your RPC is looking for, but our getblock 1 returns the information you are receiving.

What version of the wallet are you running, windows or Linux?  I may be able to change the commands back to the way they are in bitcoin.

Grid

Linux. And if this is going to be on an exchange it absolutely has to have more than those three commands. Just off the top of my head we use: listtransactions, listtransactionssince, getinfo, getbalance, gettransaction, move, and god knows how many others.

In the future instead of completely changing how the wallet works, for it to actually be compatible with other software, ADD new commands - don't change the way standard commands work. We have 42 other wallets that all work according to that standard.

PM me once you have something worked out.

That's cool, just as an FYI, we ADDED a command to the already existing commands and renamed an existing command.

I will put the original commands back the way they were, but its not going to be tonight or tomorrow, so take it easy for a while and Ill let you know when its working.

Thanks!

Rob H.

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 04:39:02 AM

Ive got some bad news!  We're being hacked.

Part of the reason I delayed scrypt sleep was because I saw forks yesterday, the other reason is pool incompatibility.  Either way we have it off now and things are simpler.

The real reason everyones wallet is "rescanning" every time you open it is the fraudulent activity on the network.

Also, the real reason we have forks:  Starting @ 9AM yesterday, someone with a lot of hash power has been running a fraudulent client and solving blocks.  I'm compiling an emergency release now to help stop it.

We are going to need to get everyone to upgrade ASAP as this new version lowers the block reward back down to 150 and shuts off most of the cpu miner rewards.  The hacker is attempting to pay himself ALL of the max block payments for every block (1500 grc) and since the boinc hash is missing, all the clients are rejecting the blocks causing forks; but the payments are going through AFTER the block is over 5 blocks old, because we allow old blocks into the chain to prevent sync issues (ie the assumption was a block wont be accepted if it is fraudulent, but if it is older than 5 blocks old it is accepted).  This means some blocks that are hacked are being accepted by our nodes, and then that node sits out of sync for 5 more blocks while other nodes pick up the slack.

More info coming.

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 04:47:08 AM

Mandatory Upgrade:Version 1.1.7.0:
- Lowered max block reward back to 150
- Lowered max CPU miner payments to 54 grc every 3 days
- Working on securing the chain when boinchash is missing (future release)

** Please upgrade immediately, our network is being hacked, 200 blocks have been solved with missing security information **

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 04:55:01 AM

Exchanges: Please halt withdrawals while we track down all GRC addresses with coinbase blocks and missing security information

I contacted C-cex through the support e-mail. Skype, no answer.

traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:40:26 AM

I just tweeted it out!

Exchanges: Please halt withdrawals while we track down all GRC addresses with coinbase blocks and missing security information

c-cex
Legendary

Activity: 1498

CryptoCurrency EXchange: https://c-cex.com

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 08:45:17 AM

GRC stopped. We wasn't dumped. All fine.

CryptoCurrency EXchange: https://c-cex.com
Pages: « 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 ... 291 »
  Print  

Jump to: