Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:01:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 ... 291 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread  (Read 597301 times)
zulzedd

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 10:36:23 AM

Thank you, guys for explanation! Now i understand mechanics of CPU mining better.

Aeron 1.250.000 CryptoBonusMiles Giveaway, 250 Winners, 5.000 CryptoBonusMiles per winner and guaranteed airdrop for ARN holders until 30.11.2018.
Follow the link to join Giveaway 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
C. Bergmann

Activity: 803
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 11:05:31 AM

Hi,

I followed the instructions in the link (https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1922-cpu-mining-tutorialtopic/).

But after the installation in the  recommended location (programmsx86) the qt doesn't find a blocksource. I wrote the gridcoin.conf by myself after the instructions, I deleted everything, reloaded, suspended my firewall, reloaded, tried again, but I don't find the blockchain.

I installed gridcoin on a laptop, and it's no problem.

I have a 64bit system, windows 7, Intel, Nvidia ... any idea what to do?

▄▄████▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄▄█████▀▀    ▀▀█████▄▄
▄█████▀▀            ▀▀█████▄
▄███▀       ▄████▄       ▀███▄
███      ▄██████████▄      ███
███    ▄██████████████▄    ███
███    ████████████████    ███
███    ▀██████████████▀    ███
███      ▀██████████▀      ███
▀███▄       ▀████▀       ▄███▀
▀█████▄▄            ▄▄█████▀
▀▀█████▄▄    ▄▄█████▀▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀████▀▀
Gabro███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
WHITEPAPER
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
TOKEN SALES
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
heretolearn

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 11:52:23 AM

Hi,

I followed the instructions in the link (https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1922-cpu-mining-tutorialtopic/).

But after the installation in the  recommended location (programmsx86) the qt doesn't find a blocksource. I wrote the gridcoin.conf by myself after the instructions, I deleted everything, reloaded, suspended my firewall, reloaded, tried again, but I don't find the blockchain.

I installed gridcoin on a laptop, and it's no problem.

I have a 64bit system, windows 7, Intel, Nvidia ... any idea what to do?

Hi,
It generally installs to the default location unless you try to install it elsewhere. Let BOINC and  Gridcoin client install the place they naturally do.Atleast thats how it has happened with me.I hope you havent mixed up the installation folders for both. Things to check in your conf file .. it should be something like this :
server=1
rpcuser=myusername
rpcpassword=mypassword
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=9332
cpumining=true
Also are you sure you have not  saved the file as a text file ? It should be .conf and not .txt.Also try to check if you dont have a service running on the default port for Gridcoin (its 32768 or something like that .. i forget the exact number right now, but this I dont think would be the problem but still if nothing works then check the port).
It should work, maybe your making a small mistake here or there. Hope that helps.
heretolearn

Activity: 128

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 11:55:06 AM

I've asked this question before too can anybody help me with the answer ?

Who do the "beacons" go to while cpu mining ? Is it being destroyed or to some central authority ? Never really understood that part.
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 04:10:41 PM

I think we need to get involved in this. So far they have raised ~ 3 BTC.

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-funds-cancer-research-project/

Should we all donate individually or maybe 1 person can administer a btc acc and make a donation in Gridcoin's name?
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 06:39:14 PM

Should we all donate individually or maybe 1 person can administer a btc acc and make a donation in Gridcoin's name?

How about seeing if Yonemoto will take donations in GRC? He can then exchange for BTC or fiat if he wants to.

I'd guess we'll want to do something similar with the various BOINC project sponsors - help/encourage them to take GRC donations for their various causes.

Is this the kind of thing anonerd wants to pursue?

Hey Guys,

I love the idea of a network that pushes humanity for the good.
So, I would like to contribute to the marketing part to foster the acceptance of GRC.
I like to offer my time to aggregate and collect what is going on in promotion:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=452322

This is still an early draft. What is out there that I am missing?

traderman
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 07:10:48 PM

I actually sent them an email asking if they were interested in accepting donation in Gridcoin.

How about seeing if Yonemoto will take donations in GRC? He can then exchange for BTC or fiat if he wants to.

I'd guess we'll want to do something similar with the various BOINC project sponsors - help/encourage them to take GRC donations for their various causes.

Is this the kind of thing anonerd wants to pursue?

Hey Guys,

I love the idea of a network that pushes humanity for the good.
So, I would like to contribute to the marketing part to foster the acceptance of GRC.
I like to offer my time to aggregate and collect what is going on in promotion:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=452322

This is still an early draft. What is out there that I am missing?

traderman
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 07:11:24 PM

You should prob sent Rob an email, see what he says. I honestly have no idea.

I've asked this question before too can anybody help me with the answer ?

Who do the "beacons" go to while cpu mining ? Is it being destroyed or to some central authority ? Never really understood that part.
aigeezer
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 08:39:01 PM

I actually sent them an email asking if they were interested in accepting donation in Gridcoin.

Cool. You're way ahead of me. No answer from them yet? (Hope they didn't say no).
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 08:41:42 PM

Even if they say no I suppose we can just pool a little bit from the Gridcoin community and send them a BTC donation.

Cool. You're way ahead of me. No answer from them yet? (Hope they didn't say no).

aigeezer
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 08:46:42 PM

Even if they say no I suppose we can just pool a little bit from the Gridcoin community and send them a BTC donation.

Heh - or send them a generous GRC donation and a link to C-CEX.      Smiley
grex

Activity: 179

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 12:46:03 AM

Is CPU-mining under Linux possible? I can only find win tutorials.

E: When I try to compile the wallet under Ubuntu, I get following error:
Code:
build/net.o:(.bss+0x4a0): multiple definition of `threadGroup'
build/bitcoin.o:(.bss+0x0): first defined here
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [gridcoin-qt] Error 1

Anyone knows how to fix this?

After compiling it again with the instructions from here: https://github.com/gridcoin/Gridcoin-master/blob/master/CompilingGridcoinOnLinux.txt

The walled compiled and is running fine so far under Ubuntu.
Gridcoin (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 02:04:55 AM

New Version Available:
1.1.6.1/75/8.1: Upgrade from RPC by typing "upgrade <enter>"

- Added a feature to prevent CPUMiners from verifying net credits (CPUMiners read the rpcport value and if blank sit dormant).  This keeps the load down on the API, since they do not play an active role in verifying credits.
- Added listmycpuminers command to filter the listcpuminers report down to your default wallet address.
- Extended the cpuminer API vector to only erase once every 16 hours; this will allow the listcpuminers report to fill up properly.
- Implemented Scrypt Sleep:  Gridcoin will direct all GPUs to sleep when the network sleep level is below the miners leaderboard level
  a. Sleep starts on block 62000
- Decreased Leaderboard lookback to 15 days for performance

Gridcoin: scientia humana libertas
Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 02:46:59 AM

Is CPU-mining under Linux possible? I can only find win tutorials.

E: When I try to compile the wallet under Ubuntu, I get following error:
Code:
build/net.o:(.bss+0x4a0): multiple definition of `threadGroup'
build/bitcoin.o:(.bss+0x0): first defined here
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [gridcoin-qt] Error 1

Anyone knows how to fix this?
Hi Grex,

Cpu Mining on the Linux clients: *Partially*.  Right now, I believe the beacons will be transmitted out (feel free to test the wine client in Linux, and clone your windows gridcoin.conf file so that the project information exists in the file).  Technically, the beacons will send, and I believe they will never stop sending (that is the bug) but you may receive more payments per night than you send in beacons, meaning it may be profitable to test it out for us.  I'll look at that issue ASAP; will be moving back to the Linux client testing asap.

Grid

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 02:53:55 AM

Guys, Grid. What about Linux wallet? People are asking me about it but i don't know what to answer. At same time i know that c-cex using linux wallet, i'm right?
Hi Zulzedd,

The native non mining coin-client is ready (that's what c-cex is using).

We're still looking for people who will volunteer to test mining on the wine-qt version.  Joey Krug started doing it, but his cudaminer setting is not working.  So to clarify, we have not had one volunteer that is even capable of testing the client with a native radeon card booting directly into Linux; so for people like "HereToLearn" who do nothing but bash us and trash talk from their Pie Hole, (without adding anything positive to the conversation, or contributing anything useful other than "guesses" that are generally inaccurate all of the time),  the truth is the client is almost ready for mining, but I am incapable of testing it with my radeon hardware since I am running Ubuntu in a virtual machine.  I invite others with native hardware to help us test mining on Linux and Mac!

Thanks,
Rob Halford

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 03:00:23 AM

Things we need to get right before asking coincapmarket to put our coin there :

1) Linux client with mining capabilities

Reason : People are already starting to ask about it .. and its been about 3 months or more since the launch and yet no linux client ! This won't go down well with the majority of new comers who are to adopt GRC.

Solution : Either the dev can do it himself or hire someone to do it .. because it has been way too long (all other coins generally have all this sorted before launch)

2) More reliable block explorer

Reason : Sometimes the block explorer stalls and does not move ahead and sometimes even resets. This can result in the coin being removed from coincapmarket if its not reliable. It will result in GRC ending up to be a pump and dump coin to an extent (not entirely though ).

Solution : Maybe have 2 versions of the block explorer so that we can refer to either one when the other is down. Also a more comprehensive style block explorer is needed .. something based on ABE perhaps which can show details of the transactions and addresses when searched through it.

3) More marketing

Reason : If we get need to go big we possibly need to tell everybody about GRC .. even people we dont know.

Solution : Every member here should start sending messages to people about GRC (I'm sure many are) but we need more of it. Also  tag line on the site saying something like "Green, Efficient and Useful to Society" Coin. Another thing is a small writeup in a PDF explaining how this coin has the potential to transform the way cryptocurrency exists. This should be like how Vertcoin do it on their site (for the layman but effective and short). If you guys want I could do a write up on it.

NOTE : All this needs to be done on an urgent basis because coincapmarket people are not going to put more than 100 coins on their website apparently. There are about 88 already and he has promised to put up like 5 more .. so we need to get the above done quick and asap or we might miss the bus.

Let me know if I've missed out on anything guys.

Thanks

HereToLearn,

In your infinite wisdom, why on God's Green Earth do you "think" wine-qt is not a 'good enough' solution for mining on Linux?
Without giving you the benefit of my time, wine will work when we have one codebase.

Also, I have already hired developers; who is going to pay for the future dev expenses for your 'critical issues' that have to be developed faster (than our current schedule which IMO is pretty darn fast)?  You?  You haven't even answered more than 50% of the questions correctly in the past; the results are worse than guessing.  You came back to Gridcoin because you see the value here.

Regarding the block explorer, I have already added a second explorer.  The explorer is unstable because I have a developer restarting it every 4 hours because we are adding transactions to the explorer. 

Rob Halford

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 03:32:59 AM

I have a little request. Change please BOINC team flag from USA to International. Thanks!
Done- We are now international!

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 03:57:53 AM

Good Work Rob!!!

I found this interesting site and GRC is listed there. http://www.wheretomine.com/#home But there is no any info about price, diff and other. I wrote a mail to wheretomine@gmail.com in which i put links to Block Explorer and c-cex API. I hope that owners of the site will notice it. You can do the same, guys Wink
And i hope soon we will get modified Block Explorer with total quantity of coins. If i'm right we got 8'940'600 GRC mined already.

Thanks!  I'll keep you updated as soon as its done.  I have to verify the total cpu mined blocks. 

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 03:59:14 AM

And yea one more thing : Hold your coins till atleast $10-15 (yea I know it will be too tempting to sell before that especially for early miners but if something like Vertcoin can go up to $8 then we can surely do way better considering the fact we are helping society too and not just producing hot air like other coins Tongue).

Best of luck guys and resist the urge to sell for as long as you can Cheesy

Lets do this.

10-15$ for 1GRC?Huh?

for now, 1GRC = 0,0536$.....

I really think we will do better than $10-$15. IMHO Gridcoin is more innovative and more beneficial than any other alt-coin currently in existence, to include Litecoin which is currently worth ~$20... If Litecoin can reach $20 when it offered nothing new from Bitcoin other than a cpu-friendly algorithm (which is the same algorithm being used by Gridcoin and many other alts) then gridcoin should easily surpass $20 simply based on the fact that it is one of the VERY few alt-coins to be truly different from it's counterparts/competitors.

Gridcoin is not a simple cut+paste clone, there is a LOT of new custom code that has been added to this client and it rewards you for making contributions that benefit humanity in many different areas of science, health and technology.

I also believe that with the Scrypt-sleep algorithm Gridcoin has the single most fair and even distribution system which is REALLY important to the success of an alt-coin. The point of the coin is to reward those who contribute the most to the research projects and the client does EXACTLY that since the more processing power you contribute to the projects the better your chance of being able to find a block.

Right now, the only thing holding back Gridcoin's popularity is that it's confusing to a lot of people who still don't grasp the full concept, have no idea what BOINC is, are intimidated by learning a new way to set-up mining a coin or are just too obsessed with the garbage alt-coin that they've been pump-n-dumping that they just don't bother to take the time.

What will really boost the value of Gridcoin is when there are services available that accept Gridcoin for payment. When there are goods/services available that people can spend their GRC on, that is when the price/volume will begin to really climb for Gridcoin trading as that is when it will catch the eye of day-traders. Right now there is no purpose to owning gridcoins other than to sell them, we need to create reasons for other people to buy them.

But I firmly believe that within a year we will see many new services accepting Gridcoin (some of which I am working on myself) and I believe that once those services start becoming available, Gridcoin will experience larger and more rapid growth than any other alt-coin to date.

Thanks Bob!  You are the man.  Hey do you have the link handy for the start up guide you created?

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 04:03:29 AM

well, i really hope you are right.

I sold until now a little part of my GRC when the price was higher but now, imho, is really too low. Sure as hell, i'm going to hold and keep mining!

Just a question: in how many month do you think the price will grow like that?
Hi,

Well Ill be speculating here : if we really get out problems sorted out and hit coincapmarket in the next week and the situation is good with btc then i think say within a month we should hit between $0.5 to $1 .. right now its just $0.07 i think . So lets keep pur fingers crossed and hope for the best.

To those saying we need a linux capable version, I have already confirmed that compiling the client from source using the supplied directions on Gridcoin's github works on Debian 7 and there is also a Wine compatible version which is what C-CEX is using...

Hi ,
The linux version we have that mines runs only on wine ... that won't cut it if we are to go big (which I hope we do). There needs to be a "native" linux client soon with mining capabilities. The github page has 2 versions of the "native" linux version I believe : 1) The normal client (holding a wallet) and 2) The daemon for rpc calls (The version C-CEX is using is this one I believe). Both are incapable of mining.

Quoting form the github page :
1. Native Headless Daemon that will work as a coin client (mining disabled)
# 2. Native Gridcoin-qt GUI Wallet that will work as a coin client (mining disabled)
# 3. Wine version of Gridcoin-qt GUI that will mine and will run on linux, mac and windows

I see, I had missed that. I had assumed since the daemon compiled, downloaded the blockchain and accepted RPC calls it was working. That's what I get for assuming...

You are actually correct; it does compile; downloads the chain and accepts RPC calls and works; the issue is the native clients can do things like: getmininginfo, send coins, receive coins, create wallets, dump wallets, etc Everything but mine.  RPC does work.  The wine client is going to do SQL, scrypt sleep, mine, everything the windows qt version does.  In its current version, the wine qt client will talk to boinc, show utilization, mine, but not listen to scrypt sleep, Sql will not work, IE it will be less efficient than the windows version (if your boinc credits are low), but should technically *work*.

Pages: « 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 ... 291 »
  Print  

Jump to: