Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:49:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2277 2278 2279 2280 2281 2282 2283 2284 2285 2286 2287 2288 2289 2290 2291 2292 2293 2294 2295 2296 2297 2298 2299 2300 2301 2302 2303 2304 2305 2306 2307 2308 2309 2310 2311 2312 2313 2314 2315 2316 2317 2318 2319 2320 2321 2322 2323 2324 2325 2326 [2327] 2328 2329 2330 2331 2332 2333 2334 2335 2336 2337 2338 2339 2340 2341 2342 2343 2344 2345 2346 2347 2348 2349 2350 2351 2352 2353 2354 2355 2356 2357 2358 2359 2360 2361 2362 2363 2364 2365 2366 2367 2368 2369 2370 2371 2372 2373 2374 2375 2376 2377 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761519 times)
IveBeenBit

Activity: 449
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 06:39:17 AM

As long as I am able to do it, I dont really care the exact method.
I didnt realize AT would be able to do asset operations, all I saw was send money
will also be able to write AM?

Yes - my use cases already include AMs and it should be straight forward for an AT to deal with Assets.

Yeeeeeah, boy! There's more than one way to skin a cat.

James, your vision is awesome. I know you're working on a ton of Nxt enhancements and I hope you're not overextended. There's no need to play the martyr, though IMO. Part of being a visionary is you get people sniping at you from the sidelines. It happens to everyone. Hell, how many people were calling Satoshi Nakamoto a ponzi operator as recently as 6 months ago?

Listen to Adam B. Levine's comments from the most recent episode of Let's Talk Bitcoin. Listen between 12:12 - 13:30 he says, "Nxt looks like Bitcoin will look like in 5 years, only it's here today and you can see it!"

Adam gets the picture, and it's because of the work that people like you and Ian and Jean Luc and CfB and all you other mofos are doing.

Remember: There's no crying in NXT!
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1109

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 06:41:15 AM

Denominating assets in something other than NXT would require trusted issuer of some other asset that could be used for settling...?

Huh

Yes, instead of only the one using NXT trusting the asset seller, both assetA seller and assetB seller would need to trust the respective issuers of assetA and assetB. In some ways it is more symmetric, in other ways it requires double the trusting.

I do not expect it to be a frequent combination, it is just required for some speciality markets like oil/gold

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
alxx77

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 06:45:05 AM

So, simply said, all trading in AE is ALLWAYS in NXT; if you trade asset <-> asset you are actually settling off-AE, that is you must trust someone else than NXT crypto

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1072

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 06:45:29 AM

In regards to the "limit" of Asset quantity I think we could consider making it much bigger than 1B.

Having "fractional" amounts is just not going to make sense in general but at the "client side" you could decide to show a "decimal" point somewhere if you wanted to.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 06:47:33 AM

James, please listen to windjc. Just do your 'thing' and focus on finishing your coding work. You have oodles of support in the NXT community, and I for one get freaked out when you start talking about throwing in the towel. There are plenty of key people in the NXT community that we can't afford to lose, and you're definitely one of them. You'll never please everyone, so stay out of this thread as much as possible, and concentrate on pleasing yourself. As you say, you have the perfect skill-set for NXT - code, tech marketing, & finance.

You don't have to justify what you're doing!

Now, go and have a few beers.
The second one tonight offering alchohol. Maybe there is something to that. Maybe I should start drinking!
Ive just had a really rough week
Maybe I should just unplug for a week, finish the gateway and then do the jean-luc release note thing!
I will just design things to work even if only 10% of NXT'ers participate. Yes, I think that is a good plan. Not so sure about the drinking thing

James

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 06:48:32 AM

So, simply said, all trading in AE is ALLWAYS in NXT; if you trade asset <-> asset you are actually settling off-AE

Yes - although with an appropriate AT set up for it the experience would actually be that you send Assets to the AT and then it sends you back the Asset being traded (so you send say Microsoft and get back Google).

Part of AT creation would include providing the appropriate "ratio" of such cross-trades as well as "limits".

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 06:51:11 AM

In regards to the "limit" of Asset quantity I think we could consider making it much bigger than 1B.

Having "fractional" amounts is just not going to make sense in general but at the "client side" you could decide to show a "decimal" point somewhere if you wanted to.

BTC asset definitely needs fractions, I cant imagine limiting AE trading of BTC to full BTC. Between the current 1 billion limit and no fractional values, I am having to create milliBTC and microBTC assets. A single transfer of 1.234567 BTC would create 1 BTC asset, 234 milliBTC and 567 microBTC assets.

Not exactly the gleaming example of expected behavior.

With DOGE being worth so little and BTC so much, that is a large dynamic range that needs to be covered for the use cases

MadCow

Activity: 655
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 06:52:30 AM

The problem is that if the community rejects what I am doing, then some parts of what I am doing wont work. For example, I think there is a way to create a NXT network health indicator. nodeminer already is gathering most of the raw data that is needed.

I want a poll, but not sure how to set one up.

James

James, it sounds like you need to convince Jean-Luc and CfB of your plan. Those guys don't operate through this thread in a big way, so why not go straight to them and see what they say? If they agree cool! If they are unsure then maybe a vote. Either way, try and avoid the need to tackle every counter argument against your ideas here on your own. There is an element of 'politics' going on, but my feeling is most agree with your mission statement - "To make NXT the platform upon which all of crypto goes mainstream"
L5Society

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 06:53:38 AM

Everyone-

The issue that James brings up is REALLY IMPORTANT. If you are skimming through this part of the thread and you quickly decide that *duh* everything on AE should be denominated in nxt because nxt rules, THEN YOU HAVE COMPLETELY MISSED THE POINT.

Sorry for the all caps alarm bells, but this is a really complicated issue. If you do some research into the "petrodollar system" you will find a real world example of the problem that James brings up. Forcing the world to buy oil in USD has contributed to the USD's current status as the world's reserve currency. It has benefited the US government by increasing the value of USD (increasing worldwide demand for the dollar). However, now the US government has to make sure that oil producing countries only accept USD for their oil, or else the value of the USD will plummet and cause economic havoc for the US and the world. This is one reason that the US government is so friendly to the Saudis. This is also a reason that smart people are really worried about deteriorating relations between the US and Russia. The petrodollar system is a house of cards.

By analogy, only allowing trades in the AE to be denominated in nxt will have similar effects. If we succeed in making everyone use it, then sure, nxt prices will fly to the moon. However, the petrodollar system is highly unstable, and requires some serious political maneuvering to keep it running. It also required the most powerful country in the history of the world (debatable, I know) to get started. Lets be real here. We are a very small, niche community. I don't know if we could make AE successful with only nxt-denominated trades, but I do know that we would be making things much much more difficult for ourselves.

I also believe that such a system is inherently unstable. If we try to force people to use one currency, either by design of the nxt platform, or by dishonest marketing, we are ultimately doing more harm than good. We need to deliver unique, useful, and price-competitive services as a network. If our network is better than the alternatives, and if we market ourselves effectively, then we should see mass adoption of the nxt network and our personal wealth will increase. There is no easy shortcut.

We don't need to be the reserve currency of the internet to be ubiquitous and successful and richer than we are now. Please, please spend some more time thinking about the consequences of this decision.
MadCow

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 06:55:43 AM

James, please listen to windjc. Just do your 'thing' and focus on finishing your coding work. You have oodles of support in the NXT community, and I for one get freaked out when you start talking about throwing in the towel. There are plenty of key people in the NXT community that we can't afford to lose, and you're definitely one of them. You'll never please everyone, so stay out of this thread as much as possible, and concentrate on pleasing yourself. As you say, you have the perfect skill-set for NXT - code, tech marketing, & finance.

You don't have to justify what you're doing!

Now, go and have a few beers.
The second one tonight offering alchohol. Maybe there is something to that. Maybe I should start drinking!
Ive just had a really rough week
Maybe I should just unplug for a week, finish the gateway and then do the jean-luc release note thing!
I will just design things to work even if only 10% of NXT'ers participate. Yes, I think that is a good plan. Not so sure about the drinking thing

James

Sounds like a good option (doing the jean-luc thing). As for the drinking, if you've made it this far in life without booze DON'T START NOW Smiley Whatever you like to do to unwind - do it tonight, and have a dble dose!!
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 06:56:02 AM

I am having to create milliBTC and microBTC assets. A single transfer of 1.234567 BTC would create 1 BTC asset, 234 milliBTC and 567 microBTC assets.

Sure - display issues though are easily enough handled by clients.

I think we should consider raising the upper limit so that your problem will be easily solved via UI - technically there is no reason that the upper limit can't be that of a 64 bit integer (keeping in mind that Java doesn't do *unsigned*).

MadCow

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 06:59:45 AM

Everyone-

The issue that James brings up is REALLY IMPORTANT. If you are skimming through this part of the thread and you quickly decide that *duh* everything on AE should be denominated in nxt because nxt rules, THEN YOU HAVE COMPLETELY MISSED THE POINT.

Sorry for the all caps alarm bells, but this is a really complicated issue. If you do some research into the "petrodollar system" you will find a real world example of the problem that James brings up. Forcing the world to buy oil in USD has contributed to the USD's current status as the world's reserve currency. It has benefited the US government by increasing the value of USD (increasing worldwide demand for the dollar). However, now the US government has to make sure that oil producing countries only accept USD for their oil, or else the value of the USD will plummet and cause economic havoc for the US and the world. This is one reason that the US government is so friendly to the Saudis. This is also a reason that smart people are really worried about deteriorating relations between the US and Russia. The petrodollar system is a house of cards.

By analogy, only allowing trades in the AE to be denominated in nxt will have similar effects. If we succeed in making everyone use it, then sure, nxt prices will fly to the moon. However, the petrodollar system is highly unstable, and requires some serious political maneuvering to keep it running. It also required the most powerful country in the history of the world (debatable, I know) to get started. Lets be real here. We are a very small, niche community. I don't know if we could make AE successful with only nxt-denominated trades, but I do know that we would be making things much much more difficult for ourselves.

I also believe that such a system is inherently unstable. If we try to force people to use one currency, either by design of the nxt platform, or by dishonest marketing, we are ultimately doing more harm than good. We need to deliver unique, useful, and price-competitive services as a network. If our network is better than the alternatives, and if we market ourselves effectively, then we should see mass adoption of the nxt network and our personal wealth will increase. There is no easy shortcut.

We don't need to be the reserve currency of the internet to be ubiquitous and successful and richer than we are now. Please, please spend some more time thinking about the consequences of this decision.

Good explanation, thanks!
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 07:05:20 AM

As long as I am able to do it, I dont really care the exact method.
I didnt realize AT would be able to do asset operations, all I saw was send money
will also be able to write AM?

Yes - my use cases already include AMs and it should be straight forward for an AT to deal with Assets.

Yeeeeeah, boy! There's more than one way to skin a cat.

James, your vision is awesome. I know you're working on a ton of Nxt enhancements and I hope you're not overextended. There's no need to play the martyr, though IMO. Part of being a visionary is you get people sniping at you from the sidelines. It happens to everyone. Hell, how many people were calling Satoshi Nakamoto a ponzi operator as recently as 6 months ago?

Listen to Adam B. Levine's comments from the most recent episode of Let's Talk Bitcoin. Listen between 12:12 - 13:30 he says, "Nxt looks like Bitcoin will look like in 5 years, only it's here today and you can see it!"

Adam gets the picture, and it's because of the work that people like you and Ian and Jean Luc and CfB and all you other mofos are doing.

Remember: There's no crying in NXT!
Yes, there are 43 ways to skin a cat.

Actually the more ideas I have, the more ideas I get as they tend to feed off of each other. At some point, I get an "Aha!" moment and what used to be kind of fuzzy becomes clear and then I just code it. If I only had one project then I would have a hard time staying focused on it and probably would start drinking Smiley

Things percolate, a proof of concept comes out, this helps the percolation process, another proof of concept comes out, more subconscious stuff, improvements, beta version, new idea, etc. etc.

Its kind of unpredictable what I end up working on any given day and maybe that confuses or frightens people but I am just telling it like it is. The net effect is that (without distractions) I am usually able to be quite productive day after day as all the time consuming definition of problem, designing solution, etc. is done in parallel and each day I code what is easiest to code, with rare exceptions. I doubt there is even a name for my work process, maybe there is though.

I do get mood swings, especially after working for 24 hours straight and finding some disturbing posts. If I start reading the forum before I start coding, I might never start coding that day. If I wait until the end of the day, it might affect me too much.

More and more I am leaning toward less openness and just loosely following this thread. Is there a way to setup a mailing list that sends out BCT PM's? Maybe I could stay in touch with the people interested in what I am doing semi-privately.

Maybe people need to realize that AT is coming. That means NXT will have Turing machine capability. That means nobody can stop me from doing whatever I come up with. I will do what I can to turn NXT into a platform.

James

Passion_ltc

Activity: 714

Crypti Community Manager

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 07:06:41 AM

Just a few more days until I come back. Is there anyone willing to pay the money for NXT.org?

I canceled 7 domains regarding the Nxt-Ecosystem. After I come back I will concentrate on quality work. Because this is what Nxt needs right now. So please respond to the question above. Smiley

Also I want to redirect NXTarea.com to http://mynxt.org/, Mario is that okay for you? Smiley After a few months I would also cancel this domain then, at this point the users should know that mynxt.org is the new landing page.

wesleyh, I'm not following everything right now. But you mentioned something like client-side-verification at http://nxtra.org/nxt-client-trustless/ . Is that also possible for tipNXT.com (not working right now, because I don't have a server for the client)?

So that someone can type in the wallet password to send the money, but it won't get send to the server. Sure there need to be HTTPS then. But will this makes tipNXT 100% secure?

What if someone hack the server and change the code. Is it possible to create a hash or checksum (with php and crojobs!) of the critical .php files and upload them somewhere on an external site?

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 07:09:58 AM

I am having to create milliBTC and microBTC assets. A single transfer of 1.234567 BTC would create 1 BTC asset, 234 milliBTC and 567 microBTC assets.

Sure - display issues though are easily enough handled by clients.

I think we should consider raising the upper limit so that your problem will be easily solved via UI - technically there is no reason that the upper limit can't be that of a 64 bit integer (keeping in mind that Java doesn't do *unsigned*).

I had assumed the 1 billion limit was there for some actual reason. 63 bits unsigned is PLENTY of dynamic range for assets!

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 07:11:26 AM

http://www.coindesk.com/scrypt-asic-race-intensifies-knc-scores-2m-preorders/

About 100mh scrypt asics. Interesting excerpt from the bottom of the article:

One Alpha Viper running at 90MH/s is roughly the equivalent of a hundred Radeon R9 290X cards running on reference clocks. The Titan is even faster, it is as fast as a hundred overclocked Radeon R9 290X cards. Now imagine what a few batches from both companies could do.

This could have massive implications, as thousands of GPU miners would be rendered obsolete practically overnight and prices will be impacted, too. On the other hand, it might be good news for gamers, as they will probably be able to pick up second-hand AMD Tahiti- and Hawaii-based graphics cards on the cheap as soon as the new ASIC rigs become operational.

So it seems the masses of GPU miners will now be pushed out of scrypt. They're going to be antsy. That doesn't leave many options. Mine at a loss or sell their GPU's (or rediscover their love for gaming). They could take the money from selling their GPU'S and put it in Nxt. Take a fraction of it and buy a dedicated node. Maybe this is a demographic to keep our eyes on.
used GPUS not worth so much
most games cant use more than 3 GPUs to any real benefit
I think NXT mining pools just found a lot of eager miners!

BrianNowhere

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 07:11:44 AM

I feel that NXT as a community is at a decision point. Do we want to wage war against bitcoin for supremacy in payments and become the crypto version of paypal or do we want to become a platform that will enable transformation of the world to an economy that is significantly crypto based.
James

The answer should be both.

NXT: 4957831430947123625
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 07:12:15 AM

Maybe people need to realize that AT is coming. That means NXT will have Turing machine capability. That means nobody can stop me from doing whatever I come up with. I will do what I can to turn NXT into a platform.

Indeed the things that will be possible once we have AT in place are rather mind blowing.

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 07:14:17 AM

The problem is that if the community rejects what I am doing, then some parts of what I am doing wont work. For example, I think there is a way to create a NXT network health indicator. nodeminer already is gathering most of the raw data that is needed.

I want a poll, but not sure how to set one up.

James

James, it sounds like you need to convince Jean-Luc and CfB of your plan. Those guys don't operate through this thread in a big way, so why not go straight to them and see what they say? If they agree cool! If they are unsure then maybe a vote. Either way, try and avoid the need to tackle every counter argument against your ideas here on your own. There is an element of 'politics' going on, but my feeling is most agree with your mission statement - "To make NXT the platform upon which all of crypto goes mainstream"
Actually, now that AT will support AM and Asset operations, I can do everything on top of NXT core myself as long as 10% of NXTers participate.

Nobody can stop me now

mwahahahaha!

did I do that right?

NXT platform is coming. It cannot be stopped. Just gotta prepare for it.

James

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 07:16:09 AM

I feel that NXT as a community is at a decision point. Do we want to wage war against bitcoin for supremacy in payments and become the crypto version of paypal or do we want to become a platform that will enable transformation of the world to an economy that is significantly crypto based.
James

The answer should be both.
OK, you go take on the bitcoin guys. Let me know how it works out. I'm off doing the platform thing

Bye for now, back in a week (give or take). Maybe I will check in, maybe I wont.

Gnite

Pages: « 1 ... 2277 2278 2279 2280 2281 2282 2283 2284 2285 2286 2287 2288 2289 2290 2291 2292 2293 2294 2295 2296 2297 2298 2299 2300 2301 2302 2303 2304 2305 2306 2307 2308 2309 2310 2311 2312 2313 2314 2315 2316 2317 2318 2319 2320 2321 2322 2323 2324 2325 2326 [2327] 2328 2329 2330 2331 2332 2333 2334 2335 2336 2337 2338 2339 2340 2341 2342 2343 2344 2345 2346 2347 2348 2349 2350 2351 2352 2353 2354 2355 2356 2357 2358 2359 2360 2361 2362 2363 2364 2365 2366 2367 2368 2369 2370 2371 2372 2373 2374 2375 2376 2377 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: